Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 U.S. Presidential Race Megathread Mark 2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Yes, an abortion clinic. A place where women get to exercise autonomy over their reproductive health, unless a religiously-motivated nineteenth-century-fixated regressive political party dominated by old men decides that they can't be allowed to do so.

A lot of people find partial birth abortion absolutely horrific and something Hillary supports.
    I won't describe it as I don't know how anyone supports it, and it would make one sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Yes, an abortion clinic. A place where women get to exercise autonomy over their reproductive health, unless a religiously-motivated nineteenth-century-fixated regressive political party dominated by old men decides that they can't be allowed to do so.

I was referring to the absurdity of somebody calling it a "pro-choice" clinic. I have no interest in debating the rights or wrongs of abortion here, I just wish people would call a spade a spade, instead of using ridiculous euphemisms.

Hillary wins Virginia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,997 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A lot of people seem to be fully taken in by what Trumo has been saying about building walls and all the crisp that was dug up by the democrats.
    Trump is a very intelligent man who has found a way to get the dumbest Americans to go vote. He is not going to build a wall, no chance of that happening, he is not going to make life tough for women, blacks, Hispanics or gay people. I think he might even improve the country.

I'm not a Trump supporter and I was hoping that Hilary would win but it's not going to be nearly as bad as a lot of people are making out if Trump is the next US president.

NYT giving Trump an 87% chance of winning with ~290 electoral votes but Clinton winning popular vote by 1.5%.

If he wins either Michigan or Wisconsin he wins.

It's safe to say the big winner of this election is Nate Silver.

Is the champagne warm or cold ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Nellie the Elephant packed her trunk
    And said goodbye to the circus
    Off she went with a trumpety-trump

Trump, Trump , Trump

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I was referring to the absurdity of somebody calling it a "pro-choice" clinic. I have no interest in debating the rights or wrongs of abortion here, I just wish people would call a spade a spade, instead of using ridiculous euphemisms.

Well, I guess if we are arguing semantics and what to call it, we aren't discussing the hypocrisy of having a country so defined by "freedom" not allowing women to have a free choice with regards their own bodies :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭TheOven

eagle eye wrote: »
    A lot of people seem to be fully taken in by what Trumo has been saying about building walls and all the crisp that was dug up by the democrats.
    Trump is a very intelligent man who has found a way to get the dumbest Americans to go vote. He is not going to build a wall, no chance of that happening, he is not going to make life tough for women, blacks, Hispanics or gay people. I think he might even improve the country.

I'm not a Trump supporter and I was hoping that Hilary would win but it's not going to be nearly as bad as a lot of people are making out if Trump is the next US president.

It depends, the globalist elites will be fine. The people who hate them have the most to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

She's won Virginia and Colorado and will win Iowa and Pennsylvania (by the votes counted so far). Nevada still hasn't declared, either.

There's still a way to go yet.
    There is but he is looking more likely to break the firewall by winning Michigan which leaves her with very few paths to victory. It gives Trump multiple paths. It's not over, but it is more and more looking like Trump will be President.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

RobertKK wrote: »
    Is the champagne warm or cold ;)

Neither. The tea is warm though and the fry I'm about to start cooking will be nice and hot :P

• Advertisement

I think a lot felt Clinton, more of the same, a neocon war hawk, and 8 years of the controversy ridden Clintons was enough.
    People wanted change.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

New York Times now predicting a 91% chance of a Trump victory.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Well, I guess if we are arguing semantics and what to call it, we aren't discussing the hypocrisy of having a country so defined by "freedom" not allowing women to have a free choice with regards their own bodies :rolleyes:

Yes, and exercising that freedom by visiting an abortion clinic, not a "pro-choice" clinic :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,259 ✭✭✭✭briany

New York Times now predicting a 91% chance of a Trump victory.

How do they figure that?

Love Trumps hate becomes Donald trumps Hillary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

briany wrote: »
    How do they figure that?

Path to victory in the electoral college. Hillary's options are closing. Trump's opening up big time. His strategy of focusing on the rust belt is paying off big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,204 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

He needs Florida North Carolina and Nevada to give him breathing room.

How do they figure that?
    He breaks the firewall in Michigan and holds onto Arizona, that is enough to win the election for him based on the map!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,265 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

swinging again a bit in Clinton's favour. Trump probably wins but will be very tight.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

A lot of people find partial birth abortion absolutely horrific and something...
    ...that doesn't exist. Don't mindlessly parrot conservative talking points; they just make you look silly.
    People wanted change.
    Well, it looks like they're going to get it. I wonder who they'll be blaming their woes on in four years' time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,259 ✭✭✭✭briany

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    There is but he is looking more likely to break the firewall by winning Michigan which leaves her with very few paths to victory. It gives Trump multiple paths. It's not over, but it is more and more looking like Trump will be President.

Didn't some Detroit paper call Michigan for Hillary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This is if we believe he is going to be a hands-on President. I think this is primarily about his narcissism and feeding his ego. I believe he will be a figurehead. They will hand him his speeches and he'll say what they want and he'll not give a damn as he is in this for the photo ops, and the adoring crowds. He's going to be a puppet imo.

Pence is the guy we're going to have to get to know, just like with Cheney. He will be the one doing the bulk of the policy as he is the career politician of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

...that doesn't exist. Don't mindlessly parrot conservative talking points; they just make you look silly.

Well, it looks like they're going to get it. I wonder who they'll be blaming their woes on in four years' time?

They will find someone or some country, rather than look at themselves.

Trump, Trump , Trump

Slight disparity with bookmakers at the moment - Trump 1/6 with Ladbrokes but 3/10 with Paddy Power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Liamalone wrote: »

Trump, Trump , Trump

Once is funny

Twice is annoying

Didn't some Detroit paper call Michigan for Hillary?
    It did, but that was on a very early call. It wasn't supposed to be close but once it became close it shouldn't have been called. The way the votes are going in districts are showing huge wins for Trumps where he was expected to win and small (and, in some parts of Detroit, loses) wins for Clinton. That gives Trump the win there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Love Trumps hate becomes Donald trumps Hillary.

Same thing ;)

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

This is if we believe he is going to be a hands-on President. I think this is primarily about his narcissism and feeding his ego. I believe he will be a figurehead. They will hand him his speeches and he'll say what they want and he'll not give a damn as he is in this for the photo ops, and the adoring crowds. He's going to be a puppet imo.

Pence is the guy we're going to have to get to know, just like with Cheney. He will be the one doing the bulk of the policy as he is the career politician of the two.

I think you're partly wrong about the first part, and probably right about the second. Pence will likely dictate much policy, which is a terrifying prospect for anyone with any respect for science or, well, people.

The problem with the first part is that Trump's ego won't allow him to settle for being a figurehead. He's emotionally incapable of ignoring a slight, and is entirely capable of starting an actual shooting war over a Twitter insult.

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Once is funny

Twice is annoying

Donald the Elephant packed his trunk
    And said hello to the circus
    Off he went with a trumpety-trump

Trump, Trump , Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I think you're partly wrong about the first part, and probably right about the second. Pence will likely dictate much policy, which is a terrifying prospect for anyone with any respect for science or, well, people.

The problem with the first part is that Trump's ego won't allow him to settle for being a figurehead. He's emotionally incapable of ignoring a slight, and is entirely capable of starting an actual shooting war over a Twitter insult.

In a word, unstable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The FBI and James Comey will be slated.
    Well given the tight margins in the key states, it's beyond doubt if Trump wins, that Comey was the deciding factor in the election.

Dow Jones has already come down considerably more than on 9/11, per Tom Brokaw.

I guess those large crowds for Trump were reflective, while Hillary got concert goers for her large rallies.

Also the lies of the Democrats with their negative ads while saying 'when they go low, we go high', made some think 'do they think we are stupid, they are going low'.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Well given the tight margins in the key states, it's beyond doubt if Trump wins, that Comey was the deciding factor in the election.

Dow Jones has already come down considerably more than on 9/11, per Tom Brokaw.

The dow has run a long way up since 9/11. percentage wise it is nowhere close.

• Advertisement

Whoa, the liberal devastation on Twitter is very sad.......not sure why they have given up already......?

Trump wins Florida :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

NYT giving Trump an 87% chance of winning with ~290 electoral votes but Clinton winning popular vote by 1.5%.

If he wins either Michigan or Wisconsin he wins.

It's safe to say the big winner of this election is Nate Silver.
    Why? He gave Hilary a 71% chance of winning. He gave Trump a better chance than most but certainly didn't predict the result.
    http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

Hillary wins Florida .
    I'd call it now /.
    Ha ha!!! Nice try! It' trumps'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Fox calling Florida for Trump.....sqeeky bum time

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

If Trump wins this, it's such a sad indictment of the way America is going.

Less gun control, less women's autonomy over their own bodies, more racial tension, climate change becomes a non issue.

Ireland should be worried about US companies here - The Donald doesn't agree with our corporation tax laws.

The next four years will be fun....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

At this point, I think Trump is a good deal more likely to win - on top of Comey being the difference maker, you have to give credit to the job he did galvanizing the rural vote, which didn't even show in the primaries for him. In the more likely event that he does win... it's going to be a very interesting few years to put it mildly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

god this is beautiful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Astonishing as that was, we'd a choice between the first dude, with all his sexual predilections, and a President with a third marriage for a first lady, who some members (ahem!) of the White House are perving over nude photo shoots of her in lads mags.

Anerica, you've a bright future.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

At least Alec Baldwin will have plenty of work over the next four years :o

At least Alec Baldwin will have plenty of work over the next four years :o

Bigly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Why? He gave Hilary a 71% chance of winning. He gave Trump a better chance than most but certainly didn't predict the result.
    http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/

He predicted the race to be far tighter than any other pollster. Admittedly he got it wrong but he definitely got it more right than any other outfit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I worry about what this is going to do the racial tensions in America. Troubling signs already...

https://twitter.com/SRowntreeNews/status/796141495573155840

god this is beautiful

And Clint Eastwood just tweeted a Pepe :D ***beauty intensifies***

https://twitter.com/EastwoodUSA/status/796151374312599552

If Trump wins this, it's such a sad indictment of the way America is going.

Less gun control, less women's autonomy over their own bodies, more racial tension, climate change becomes a non issue.

Ireland should be worried about US companies here - The Donald doesn't agree with our corporation tax laws.

The next four years will be fun....

Trump does not agree with US corporation tax and wants to reduce it from 35% to 15%.
    Makes perfect sense, and will allow US companies to bring the $2 trillion they keep offshore back home to the US.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement