Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 U.S. Presidential Race Megathread Mark 2.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Walter2016 wrote: »
    Irish stock exchange has turned positive, no chnage in dollar or sterling v euro after initial negativity.

Dow future up.

Nasdaq futures down but recovering.

Looks like the markets are now pricing it as a non event

unless you look at gold ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

Irish stock exchange has turned positive, no chnage in dollar or sterling v euro after initial negativity.

Dow future up.

Nasdaq futures down but recovering.

Looks like the markets are now pricing it as a non event

For people like you who can't read, dow futures were down 700 last I checked. Trump is going to be a complete **** up as president.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

It's not ideal, but far from the doomsday all were predicting before. The three biggest issues I'd see are

1) Trumps general disregard for national deficit. America is going to be indebted up to its eyes in 4 years time.

2) Trumps lack of interest in banking regulation. We saw how well that went last time.

3) Trump gets to appoint three supreme court judges. Conservative, Republican policies for all for the foreseeable future, even long after Trump is gone.

1 and 2 have the potential to combine nicely into anothet major recession down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

nice result. the best man won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Man literally lived in a solid gold penthouse before he won.

"Man of the normal people" :rolleyes:

Obama, the first Black president, will have to shake hands with a man who was endorsed by the KKK. 2016 is ****ed. Up.

It's not f**cked up. People are sick of having their legitimate political views demonised by the liberal media and politically correct public.

The same thing will happen in Ireland...

• Advertisement

vetinari wrote: »
    For people like you who can't read, dow futures were down 700 last I checked. Trump is going to be a complete **** up as president.

.....I wonder if he'll keep Yellen and allow her to serve out the rest of her term?

They did spark of each other on a couple of occasions during the campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Is it any wonder? Show any kind of support for Brexit, Trump, Le Pen, Orban and you immediately get cast as some kind of rabid racist.

The fault for this lies squarely with those people who demonise people who would like to see some kind of immigration control. Wanting to see an Australian-style system introduced to the EU is just not racist, but people who want to see unfettered inward movement, for whatever reason, shout the loudest, cast aspersions and behave disgustingly toward people of a different tack.

all this would be true , if any real solution could be achieved by controlling immigration , the reality is that immigration is not a cause of anything

glued wrote: »
    It's not f**cked up. People are sick of having their legitimate political views demonised by the liberal media and politically correct public.

The same thing will happen in Ireland...

great , you mean a massive swing to the hard right , whoo hoo , bring it on. Michael o Leary for Leader

Is it any wonder? Show any kind of support for Brexit, Trump, Le Pen, Orban and you immediately get cast as some kind of rabid racist.

The fault for this lies squarely with those people who demonise people who would like to see some kind of immigration control. Wanting to see an Australian-style system introduced to the EU is just not racist, but people who want to see unfettered inward movement, for whatever reason, shout the loudest, cast aspersions and behave disgustingly toward people of a different tack.

Yes, people want immigration control......

......except when it comes to the 'undocumented' Irish :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Jawgap wrote: »
    How?

Seriously how?

His speech struck a nice tone, but how is he going to reduce taxes and increase infrastructure spending and maintain fiscal discipline?

The only people who have any money are the US corporations with trillions stashed overseas untaxed and the 0.1 percenters. He is not going to tax those groups. He doesn't believe in tax, he doesn't pay tax.

Dark day. :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

It turns out Trump was right all along, the election was rigged:)

To be clear. Trump has no ****ing idea what he'll actually do as president. To repeat, he's a ****ing billionaire claiming to be a champion of white working class people. How the **** do you think that will go? He'll be bored of being president by March. What a ****ing disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

vetinari wrote: »

That was the case a couple of hours ago. Current figures show 200pt drop and improving.

cnocbui wrote: »
    The only people who have any money are the US corporations with trillions stashed overseas untaxed and the 0.1 percenters. He is not going to tax those groups. He doesn't believe in tax, he doesn't pay tax.

Dark day. :-(

Well he has form for fraternising with SF, maybe they're going to give him a few of their magic money trees instead of a bowl of Shamrock next March......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

devnull wrote: »
    What we're seeing is that the kind of people to vote for Brexit and Trump are shy about saying it publicly.
    To be fair, there's all this talk about Brexit being way wrong, when in reality all of the Brexit polls were very close to the final result, and the win/lose odds between them very short in the final week.
    In that case, it had been the media calling it as a pretty sure thing on the final day, even though all of the polls they had taken up to then showed it to be a very close thing.

This is something else entirely. The polls were completely wrong.

But then these polls are based off simpler questions and representative calculations. The presidential race isn't a representative democracy. It's barely democracy.

That was the case a couple of hours ago. Current figures show 200pt drop and improving.
    None of the US exchanges have opened yet.

And to add to the previous poster. This ****er wasn't even paying tax to begin with. Now he's ****ing president. This is ****ing lunacy.

And to add to the previous poster. This ****er wasn't even paying tax to begin with. Now he's ****ing president. This is ****ing lunacy.

seamus wrote: »
    To be fair, there's all this talk about Brexit being way wrong, when in reality all of the Brexit polls were very close to the final result, and the win/lose odds between them very short in the final week.
    In that case, it had been the media calling it as a pretty sure thing on the final day, even though all of the polls they had taken up to then showed it to be a very close thing.

This is something else entirely. The polls were completely wrong.

But then these polls are based off simpler questions and representative calculations. The presidential race isn't a representative democracy. It's barely democracy.

the issue of polls is neither or there

• Advertisement

I suspect polls are particularly flawed when you have such a stupid system as the electoral college one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Obama, the first Black president, will have to shake hands with a man who was endorsed by the KKK. 2016 is ****ed. Up.

Delusion. How can Trump control if the KKK endorse him? His son said one of there leaders deserves a bullet as soon as that came out.

Meanwhile there's images of Hillary Clinton KISSING one of the KKK leaders.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/03/politics/eric-trump-on-david-duke/

How can Trump control how rich he was before he ran for the Presidency. Your insults are idiotic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I suspect polls are particularly flawed when you have such a stupid system as the electoral college one.
    But that would go against the fact the likes of 385 managed to get all but one state correct in the previous two elections with their algorithm; there has to be something more in play to cause that much of a difference (and 385 still did have significant margins of errors included in the first place it was still a big difference).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Never underestimate the stupidity of the American people.

Never underestimated the arrogance of an Irish person.

We three times elected Bertie and FF on the promise of a continued bubble, we are very close to electing the same FF party that ruined us less than a decade ago.

We shunded the parties that dug us out of the whole.

We elect the likes of the Healy Rea's, Wallace, Lowery and many more.

We are in no position to question Americans and how they vote.

BoatMad wrote: »
    the issue of polls is neither or there
    I disagree. Polling figures are incredibly influential on voter turnout and sentiment.

Some people will always vote for the underdog. Some people will only vote if it looks like their candidate won't win. And so forth.

Groupthink is incredibly powerful (hey, Trump just got elected; case in point), so polls are in reality another propaganda/campaigning tool that one can use to bolster their chances, if you use them right.

Imagine an election campaign where publishing polls was illegal in the six months running up to it?

Imagine an election campaign where publishing polls was illegal in the six months running up to it?

good idea

Markets will be down 30-50% within a week.

Never underestimated the arrogance of an Irish person.

We three times elected Bertie and FF on the promise of a continued bubble, we are very close to electing the same FF party that ruined us less than a decade ago.

We shunded the parties that dug us out of the whole.

We elect the likes of the Healy Rea's, Wallace, Lowery and many more.

We are in no position to question Americans and how they vote.

I'm an Australian.

naw, dont agree actually . there will be a wobble , but thats all , with Clinton and Trump are pro business so I wouldn't expect too much to change

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

naw, dont agree actually . there will be a wobble , but thats all , with Clinton and Trump are pro business so I wouldn't expect too much to change

I sincerely hope you are right and that I am wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

That level of fall would take at least a month or two to happen and normally would take at least 6 months to happen. I expect the recession to come end of 2017 along with a stock market crash (we're overdue one anyway) because the economy has to start tanking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Congrats to Trump. Good game, I have a grudging respect for him now.

As for his acolytes - I still think they are gullible fools who have been swept up on a false tide. Normal service in support of the weatlthy establishment will be resumed following his inauguration - what? You were expecting something else to happen? :D

On a positive note, after letting trump flounder in the opinion polls a few months into his reign, it will be time to start this

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

While not born into poverty, she didn't inherit from daddy in quite the same way.

I'm not sure if being "pro business" is good enough though really. Trump is a terrible businessman in every regard.
    I'm not sure the markets will put a lot of stock (pun intended) in his capability.

That said though, it's the other houses who will control most of the domestic policy, so it'll be a good day to be an American oligarch and a bad day to be an average American worker.
    Foreign policy is a different matter though. Trump will be a complete disaster on that front, worse than GWB, Reagan, or Nixon, so has the potential to put the value of the dollar in the toilet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Groupthink is incredibly powerful (hey, Trump just got elected; case in point),

If Clinton had won, in such a tight contest, would you be calling it "groupthink"?

This is exactly the reason people lie about voting for candidates like Trump, they just don't want to have to put up with the snide comments, the sly remarks from the "right-on" people

Cmon

You mean beyond the fact she did not inherit her wealth but came from a working family and worked her way up to the current position doing the American dream in practice compared to being handed a fortune from birth? Nope; can't see any difference there...

Well I'm guessing as an attorney involved in numerous pro bono and issue cases over the years she'd have seen a lot more of real life and the problems it presents than "the Donald."

I'm not sure if being "pro business" is good enough though really. Trump is a terrible businessman in every regard.
    I'm not sure the markets will put a lot of stock (pun intended) in his capability.

That said though, it's the other houses who will control most of the domestic policy, so it'll be a good day to be an American oligarch and a bad day to be an average American worker.
    Foreign policy is a different matter though. Trump will be a complete disaster on that front, worse than GWB, Reagan, or Nixon, so has the potential to put the value of the dollar in the toilet.

actually as a right winger and not a trump supporter, I think we could actually make a decent president, but I think he will now be consumed by the right wing Republican party and he will fail to deliver his " make america great "

firstly he will not get the money , and secondly he will be controlled

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Thats not Trumps fault, I'm sure Obama was endorsed by the black panthers - not his fault either.

This is a reaction, the people are tired of MSM lies and politicians not being honest about serious matters.

Hillary could have won, if the MSM was fairer and she herself was more honest (if she gave the speech Sam Harris wrote for her for starters )

They can't be surprised.

actually as a right winger and not a trump supporter, I think we could actually make a decent president, but I think he will now be consumed by the right wing Republican party and he will fail to deliver his " make america great "

firstly he will not get the money , and secondly he will be controlled

What in his experience and achievements would make you think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Does Billy86 still post on this thread?

Thats not Trumps fault, I'm sure Obama was endorsed by the black panthers - not his fault either.

This is a reaction, the people are tired of MSM lies and politicians not being honest about serious matters.

Hillary could have won, if the MSM was fairer and she herself was more honest (if she gave the speech Sam Harris wrote for her for starters )

They can't be surprised.

Maybe you'd post the link where Trump distances himself from the KKK?

And the Obama/Black Panthers thing was a discredited conspiracy thing - his membership card is with his Kenyan birth cert :rolleyes:

If Clinton had won, in such a tight contest, would you be calling it "groupthink"?
    Yes? Groupthink isn't a bad thing, it's an emergent property of human consciousness. It happens. And it can be heavily exploited by things like polls and making false claims because "everyone says so".
    Trump is objectively an awful candidate with no redeeming qualities, but he still won. That's the power of groupthink.

Likewise if Hillary won, it would have been groupthink about her suitability or least-worstness.
    This is exactly the reason people lie about voting for candidates like Trump, they just don't want to have to put up with the snide comments, the sly remarks from the "right-on" people
    In other words, they're ashamed of their opinion because they're incapable of justifying it.

Gotcha.

Jawgap wrote: »
    What in his experience and achievements would make you think that?
    I'd guess Bush junior approach; weak president but smart advisors to run the actual policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

In other words, they're ashamed of their opinion because they're incapable of justifying it.

I think this is the key , take out , for pollsters, people are lying to the polls

Nody wrote: »
    That level of fall would take at least a month or two to happen and normally would take at least 6 months to happen. I expect the recession to come end of 2017 along with a stock market crash (we're overdue one anyway) because the economy has to start tanking.

This election result didn't surprise me. You are probably right, just my pessimism getting the better of me, however, it wouldn't surprise me.

Wish I had bought even more gold last year, now. :rolleyes:

Nody wrote: »
    I'd guess Bush junior approach; weak president but smart advisors to run the actual policy.

Nice deflection but Bush accumulated advisers as he progressed through the GOP and was supported by the RNC - you think Trump is going to accept that kind of help?

Equally, do you think anyone with ambition in the GOP is going to allow themselves to be associated with Trump if the party leadership are not wholly supportive of him? Especially if he costs them control of Congress in 2018 and the re-districting that's due to be done.

EDIT: Apologies @nody, my original question wasn't directed at you so can't really suggest you were deflecting :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement