Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 U.S. Presidential Race Megathread Mark 2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

The pollsters got it wrong again. People are much more switched on these days. Everyone is most media savvy and the pollsters need to invent new sampling and analytical methods as they are the laughing stock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

listermint wrote: »
    I've yet to see someone make a credible argument for this man in power.

By credible I mean one supported by actual policies.

An end to the bullshit phony propaganda war aimed at Russia and the demonization of President Putin.

Being neutral in the Israel/Palestine conflict instead of an AIPAC owned zionist shill like those who have gone before.

It was refreshing not to hear the usual "I will stand with Israel no matter what" bullsh1t like is usually barfed out by all the other obsequious twats .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,717 ✭✭✭✭walshb

learn_more wrote: »
    That's without doubt the stupidest comment I've ever heard.

But true, albeit that I exaggerated her age a wee bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's almost like they forgot which ethnic group makes up the majority of voters.

Very true.

It was discussed here on the original thread that had Romney won a bigger percentage of the white vote he would have won.

Trump won that bigger percentage of the white vote, he did not need minorities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

My prediction for next election, is Elon Musk running as an independent against Trump and Michelle Obama on the Democrat ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Don't be daft. Anti-gay marriage is not a movement in its own right outside a referendum campaign.

Lets be honest here. The people who voted No are probably mainly rural pensioners who are easily fobbed off with free fivers in the annual Budget.

They don't have the energy or the will to get behind any sort of crackpot Trump wannabe that might spawn on these shores.

Irish society has plenty of problems to deal with. All advanced economies do. But we are a lot more cohesive than most of our neighbours. There is a tradition in Ireland of pragmatic, non-ideological, consensus-building politics.

This has sometimes been a weakness, but it does filter out the crazies.

This kind of disparaging statement and sentiment is exactly what energises the people you are talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Thomas_...

Overheal wrote: »
    This may or may not work out for terror:

"Oh I see you planning to bomb Boston there. You wanna go? You wanna try me? I might drone strike you and your posse or I might level Baghdad roll the ****ing dice who's the crazy one here son."

Aye, that really sounds Trump like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Akrasia wrote: »
    Donald Trump is a 70 year old grandfather....

You've just said that Clinton's main disqualifying factor is that she was a woman.

I wonder how many other Trump supporters think this way.

.....maybe that New Yorker article wasn't so far off the mark when it said that Trump would be....

.......a President whose disdain for women and minorities, civil liberties and scientific fact, to say nothing of simple decency, has been repeatedly demonstrated.

This kind of disparaging statement and sentiment is exactly what energises the people you are talking about.
    Of course it is. But I'm not trying to sell a candidate or a referendum here.

If this were a campaign I'd change my tone. I've always maintained that Brexit was lost because of arrogance and bluntness, even if it was often honest bluntness.

Trump voters were talked down to, and that just made them antagonistic. I think that was a massive mistake. But it doesn't obviate my belief that most of the uneducated, myopic white men who voted for Trump are complete idiots.
    My prediction for next election, is Elon Musk running as an independent against Trump and Michelle Obama on the Democrat ticket.
    Not a natural-born US citizen, thank Christ!

RobertKK wrote: »
    John Kasich :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: had schedules a meeting for Thursday to reclaim the Republican party.
    I guess that is cancelled.

Hahaha! Beautiful.

In other news, Hillary has been measured for her orange jumpsuit; Ukraine neo-nazis practice the phrase "we were only following orders" in multiple languages.

• Advertisement

HensVassal wrote: »
    Hahaha! Beautiful.

In other news, Hillary has been measured for her orange jumpsuit; Ukraine neo-nazis practice the phrase "we were only following orders" in multiple languages.

.....and many Irish mouthpieces have their statements ready for when the deportations start and they realise the Paddies are getting kicked out too ;)......
    "Ah now, when he said he'd deport the illegal immigrants we thought he only meant the Latin Americans; we can't be illegal we're Irish.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

walshb wrote: »
    learn_more wrote: »
    That's without doubt the stupidest comment I've ever heard.

But true, albeit that I exaggerated her age a wee bit.

Well Trump is 70
    Trump I'd a Grandparent

Only thing left is HC is female?

CAN you elaborate then on ". It was either him or a 70 year old granny leading the free world..."

Of course it is. But I'm not trying to sell a candidate or a referendum here.

If this were a campaign I'd change my tone. I've always maintained that Brexit was lost because of arrogance and bluntness, even if it was often honest bluntness.

Trump voters were talked down to, and that just made them antagonistic. I think that was a massive mistake. But it doesn't obviate my belief that most of the uneducated, myopic white men who voted for Trump are complete idiots.
    Not a natural-born US citizen, thank Christ!
    Yes, I think so too.

An end to the bullshit phony propaganda war aimed at Russia and the demonization of President Putin.

Seriously.. That drove me mad. The Democrats antagonizing Russia to try and divert away from the email situation. Such needless riling of a situation.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Now watch Russia in the next few weeks start expanding into Eastern Europe...

I'll look forward to coming back on here and calling you out on that bullshit. What's your timeframe? december? January?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Overheal wrote: »
    This may or may not work out for terror:

"Oh I see you planning to bomb Boston there. You wanna go? You wanna try me? I might drone strike you and your posse or I might level Baghdad roll the ****ing dice who's the crazy one here son."

Absolutely will not, to be honest. Just takes a dozen or so (even less) people out of hundreds of millions to call your bluff, and if it's not a bluff and you follow through on such harsh threats... you replace those dozen-or-so extremists with thousands, if not tens of thousands, in their place.

The biggest fallout will be due to the fact Trump will not have designs to shake things up as much as he has promised. A lot of this was anot ego project that just, even by his own projections, "got out of hand".
    The more rational of his followers will know he won't build a wall, won't be able to put in as much immigration restrictions and won't be able to decrease taxes and bring jobs by a fraction of how much he has promised. These were the deal breakers for a lot of these swing state voters and all the Trump fans on the streets being interviewed today wetting their pants thinking he will fulfill all these extremes will become extremely disillusioned two years or so from now. Thats where the backlash will come from mainly, not democratic affiliates who have him sussed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,508 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If someone like Trump ran here with a simple plan to abolish car tax, cut income tax and provide jobs he would win.

Donald Trump: 30 things the Republican believes

Lovely man.....here's a selection......
    3. Rating women by their looks. A video from 2005 showed Trump making obscene comments about women and triggered numerous claims of alleged sexual harassment. In one of the cases, he suggested at a rally that one of the accusers was not attractive enough to be there: "I don't think so! I don't think so!" People who worked in his reality TV show The Apprentice accused him of rating female contestants by their looks. A former Miss Universe accused him of calling her "Miss Piggy" after she gained weight.

4. 35 is "check-out time" for women. In audio recordings released by CNN, Trump allegedly talks about his daughter's physique and dating young women, saying that women who are 30 years old are at a "perfect age", and that when they reach 35, it is time to "check out".

5. The US should use waterboarding and other methods of "strong interrogation" in its fight against the Islamic State group. The candidate said that these methods are "peanuts" compared to the tactics used by the militants, such as beheadings.

18. The Black Lives Matter movement is "trouble". Trump mocks former Democratic candidates like Martin O'Malley for apologising to members of the protest movement against police brutality and casts himself as a pro-law enforcement candidate. "I think they're looking for trouble," he once said of the activist group. He also tweeted a controversial graphic purporting to show that African Americans kill white and black people at far higher rates than white people or police officers. However, the graphic cites a fictitious "Crime Statistics Bureau" for its numbers, and has been widely debunked using real FBI data.

22. Climate change is just "weather". While Trump believes that maintaining "clean air" and "clean water" is important, he dismissed climate change science as a "hoax" and believes environmental restrictions on businesses make them less competitive in the global marketplace. "I do not believe that we should imperil the companies within our country," he told CNN on the issue. "It costs so much and nobody knows exactly if it's going to work."

In fairness though, not all of it is completely off the wall - plans for a simpler tax code and for those earning less to pay less or no tax are progressive, as are his ideas on raising the minimum wage, improving mental health care (instead of tightening gun controls) and improving veterans care.

FISMA. wrote: »
    A European First Lady!!!!!

John Quincy Adams wife was a Brit but I think Melania is 100% Euro as Louisa Adams father was American.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

What special prosecutor will Donald get to look into Hillary's email situation like he promised in the debate I wonder.

That foundation stuff looks abit dodgy too, he might want to look into it.

Look into those pizzas Podesta is serving too tbh. #spiritcooking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,372 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is suffering from a lack of sleep. I'll admit I didn't see it coming. I know the polls started to tighten as the election drew nearer, but be honest for all the trump supporters enthusiasm on this thread and others. Who actually thought this would happen ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who is suffering from a lack of sleep. I'll admit I didn't see it coming. I know the polls started to tighten as the election drew nearer, but be honest for all the trump supporters enthusiasm on this thread and others. Who actually thought this would happen ?

I had a feeling in my gut, put some money on it earlier but not a huge amount.

There was way too much passion and energy at his rallies, he was drawing crowds of 30k in many places the venues were always full with thousands outside. Hillarys were like a funeral in comparison.

If me, someone from Ireland can draw a connection with Trump (ever since he shat on the media in interviews I liked him) then the appeal must have been much higher for the American people.

It also helps when your opponent is a evil puppet like Clinton.

What special prosecutor will Donald get to look into Hillary's email situation like he promised in the debate I wonder.

That foundation stuff looks abit dodgy too, he might want to look into it.

Look into those pizzas Podesta is serving too tbh. #spiritcooking

So Trump supporters think one of his first acts should be to use the office for the purposes of political retribution? Not veterans' care, a capital spending programme, or even start the deportations.....but taking out the political opposition.....

In that case, some modern day Eugene Joe McCarthy should fit the bill.

EDIT: Meant to say Joe McCarthy, not Eugene :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

This result makes me very happy. Hopefully this is the result that will put an end to 'liberals', who aren't liberals at all, demonising the political views of others.

IMO the MSM, Clinton and her supporters who demonised the political views of others lost this campaign for her.

The U.S. President doesn't have that power.

When enough Ivy League law professors pointed this out in the media, Trump's campaign team said it was "just a quip" anyway.

Hope you aren't too disappointed.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Now watch Russia in the next few weeks start expanding into Eastern Europe...

I'll look forward to coming back on here and calling you out on that bullshit. What's your timeframe? december? January?

Ah, you wouldn't expect Putin getting more of a free hand over Ukraine with Trump sitting in the WH, wouldn't you? If Putin would had it his way, he'd rather yesterday than tomorrow restore the territorial extent of the former SU and that includes the Baltic States. It isn't without reason why the Baltic States have called NATO for more support in order to deter Putin from land grabbing, like in Ukraine. With the USA withdrawing from NATO committments in Eastern Europe, it might watering Putins appetite. So, it couldn't be better for Putin than having Trump in the WH from January next year onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

No mention of The Wall in his acceptance speech.

Do you think he'll backslide on building it, now that he's promised to be the president for All Americans?

Jawgap wrote: »
    So Trump supporters think one of his first acts should be to use the office for the purposes of political retribution? Not veterans' care, a capital spending programme, or even start the deportations.....but taking out the political opposition.....

In that case, some modern day Eugene Joe McCarthy should fit the bill.

EDIT: Meant to say Joe McCarthy, not Eugene :D

Hillary didn't even walk out to concede and say thanks to her supporters, she sent that creep Podesta to do it when they all knew they were beat.

So don't talk about morals :)

If Trump did that people would be lapping it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Hillary didn't even walk out to concede and say thanks to her supporters, she sent that creep Podesta to do it when they all knew they were beat.

I agree, its a shocking indictment of her character

Do you think he'll backslide on building it, now that he's promised to be the president for All Americans?
    Maybe he s just - for a while - shifting priorities and will bring the deportation of all the 2mil illegal immigrants on its way before getting back to the wall subject.

The contractors are already lined up......

15042275_10155403659173835_6078388887070905095_o.jpg

If Trump did that people would be lapping it up.

Nice, but obvious pivot.

Do you still think he should work to get a special prosecutor appointed to investigate Clinton?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Thomas_... wrote: »
    Maybe he s just - for a while - shifting priorities and will bring the deportation of all the 2mil illegal immigrants on its way before getting back to the wall subject.

Sure it'd be handier to fire them all out of the country without a nasty wall in the way. Once the undesirables are relocated they can build the defences to keep them out.

Nice, but obvious pivot.

Do you still think he should work to get a special prosecutor appointed to investigate Clinton?

Considering if anyone else in the Country besides Obama maybe had done what she did with the email situation and the Foundation corruption ( there's literally emails of them talking about how to hide the corruption ), those people would go to jail or at the very least have a trial.

Nobody should be above the law.

Clearly I don't like her if that's what you're getting at, I find it sick how she targets weak minorities and manipulates the media.

• Advertisement

Considering if anyone else in the Country besides Obama maybe had done what she did with the email situation and the Foundation corruption ( there's literally emails of them talking about to hide the corruption ), those people would go to jail or at the very least have a trial.

Indeed, but do you think it's appropriate for the President to concern themselves with such matters or should it be left to those charged with upholding the law?

Do you think, for example, he should dismiss Comer as FBI Director?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭TheOven

For people who complain about political correctness you really have to tip toe around them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

county by county:

25fadd3506f8100d1a5eea3310c6aa64602ce9745870fc7e653238e99cbbe8f6.jpg

Clearly I don't like her if that's what you're getting at, I find it sick how she targets weak minorities and manipulates the media.

Sorry, what?

Clinton "targets weak minorities and manipulates the media"? What is it that Trump does?

Thomas_... wrote: »

Sure it'd be handier to fire them all out of the country without a nasty wall in the way. Once the undesirables are relocated they can build the defences to keep them out.
    That is what I mean he might thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,328 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I think he'll claim he never said it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Considering if anyone else in the Country besides Obama maybe had done what she did with the email situation and the Foundation corruption ( there's literally emails of them talking about how to hide the corruption ), those people would go to jail or at the very least have a trial.

Funny that how Bush and cronies who made sure 22 million e-mails between 2003 and 2009 never got saved and ignored senate subpoenas never ended up in a trial or went to jail...

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    As with Brexit and to a lesser extent the Irish Election , the US people would seem to have allowed their not unreasonable anger and frustration at a broken system over-ride common sense.

Just as Brexit is absolutely not the right thing for the UK , Trump is absolutely not the right thing for the US in terms of fixing the things that are broken.

The Frustrated "Ordinary guy" has just voted for self-immolation to clear up a rash.

As I previously said , I totally understand that people were/are frustrated with the system in the US. Just as I understood peoples frustration in the UK and as I understood people in Ireland feeling that they had missed out on any recovery that was being described by Government.

But the reaction to that shouldn't be a vote for utter chaos , which is what they are now seeing in the UK with Brexit , which awaits the US with Trump and that we are beginning to see here in Ireland with a neutered government having to roll over for every union request that comes their way..

Will people learn the hard way?

Bollocks QD. Blaming the people for their decision is bull****. After 8 years of war, lies, corruption and the greatest financial heist in human history, the people voted the Bushistas out and put in Obama who promised them the moon and stars. An end to Iraq and Afghanistan, and end to torture and end to Guantanamo, change they "could believe in". The lying sack of vomit welshed on every promise and bailed out banks, expanded wars, surveillance, drone killings, fracking, you name it. During his tenure they tried to air their grievances and they were beaten off the streets (Occupy Wall street anyone?). And then the establishment throw Hillary Clinton in their face?
    I don't know what Trump will do. I don't care if he spends the next 4 years on vacation. I'd be happy with an end to the bullshit propaganda campaign against Russia and and end to US meddling in Syria so Putin could finally vanquish ISIS and let the 6 million refugees return and rebuild their country. I smile when I think of Hillary cleaning out her desk and facing the prospect of sitting out her days in Connecticut or Martha's vineyard with nobody to terrorise and boss around except the maid.

Indeed, but do you think it's appropriate for the President to concern themselves with such matters or should it be left to those charged with upholding the law?

Do you think, for example, he should dismiss Comer as FBI Director?

Comey was pressured by the DOJ. The DOJ was actually colluding with Clinton in the initial email investigation. On two counts, Billo meeting yer wan in the back of the plane, and Hillary getting a email called "heads up" from Kadzik telling her what's going to be coming up.

Farcical when you think of it.

Considering if anyone else in the Country besides Obama maybe had done what she did with the email situation and the Foundation corruption ( there's literally emails of them talking about to hide the corruption ), those people would go to jail or at the very least have a trial.
    Why didn't Colin Powell go to prison for doing the same?

Or George W. Bush?

county by county:

I see too much red in there. Too much of it an today is just another sh1te day in this awkward year 2016.

Comey was pressured by the DOJ. The DOJ was actually colluding with Clinton in the initial email investigation. On two counts, Billo meeting yer wan in the back of the plane, and Hillary getting a email called "heads up" from Kazik telling her what's going to be coming up.

Farcical when you think of it.

....and the evidence for this can be found where?

county by county:

Hmm, slightly misleading image.

That's based on geographic area, not population.

Trump lost the national vote, it's just that he was just more popular in places where turnips are grown, yessir yeehaw.

....and the evidence for this can be found where?

Wikileaks.

Nice, but obvious pivot.

Because Trump isn't manipulative! DO you honestly foresee him standing by even 10% of his empty promises and wishy washy "change" / "shake it up" speeches.

The man has no plan. And in a way that's good as it allows the likes of Pence to basically be president behind the scenes with Trump taking the media glory.

It's just pure soundbites from him. so he is 10 x more manipulative than other candidates down the years. and that's what got him elected

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement