Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 U.S. Presidential Race Megathread Mark 2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

What I love about this is the fact if Donald Trump was a boardsie he would of been banned many moons ago on here. He is the ultimate troll.

Well Played Sir....Well Played!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Jawgap wrote: »
    All of the DoJ is corrupt?

Everyone.....from the interns to the A-G. I presume there will be a mass purge firing at least, if not show trials for conspiracy?

Most at the top probably are, Kadzik and Loretta Lynch definitely are. If they're emailing Clinton telling her what's coming up when she's been grilled by people like Gowdy on her emails you can be sure it's corrupt as hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

FBI was compromised with her as SOS. I think the foundation will cause her to get charged eventually, FBI investigations never "close" they're always ongoing. Money laundering is a big no no. I doubt Trump would will do anything it would give him bad press and he might want to keep relations clean citing victory as good enough. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Genuine question, how much do you honestly think Donald "make America great again" Trump can fulfill any small percentages of the promises he made during this campaign.
    All politicians "manipulate" voters with wishy washy soundbites but his campaign win is completely predicated on the extreme volume of same.

Here are some:

. ‘Build a wall’ — and make Mexico pay for it

. Temporarily ban Muslims from entering the United States

- ‘Bring manufacturing (jobs) back’

. Impose tariffs on goods made in China and Mexico

. Renegotiate or withdraw from the North American Free Trade Agreement and Trans-Pacific Partnership

. Full repeal of Obamacare’ and replace it with a market-based alternative

. Renegotiate the Iran deal

. Leave Social Security as is

. Cut taxes

. ‘Bomb’ and/or ‘take the oil’ from ISIS

etc, etc

I genuinely dont think any of these promises will be fulfilled to any satisfactory level and he wont have ANY impact on bloody walls, muslims or Mexican immigrants.

You spoke about HC manipulating certain disadvantaged demographics. Trump's win is completely based on this manipulation.

In fact from what I am reading from a lot of your posts he has completely manipulated you on a lot of issues.

This is not a pro HC post, I think she is equally as detestable in her own way but she would have ambition,intellect, support and contacts to implement a lot of her promises.

Trumps presidency was a chance to feed his ego, I doubt even him thought it possible to win the Republican campaign, let alone the Presidency, Its a case of now the hard work is done, he can go on holiday for 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

feck it!

he's a spanner in the works...might be fun

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Jawgap wrote: »
    To who?

Leaving aside who might be able to afford one, the US aside who has the capacity, knowhow and experience to operate a Nimitz class strike carrier, along with its CBG, strike group and replenishment support?

You know what I meant. Fine, nobody's going to actually buy one of these obsolete hulks. Scrap one or scrap that stupid $1.5 Trillion F35 project. That might free up a few nickels to fix the bridges and tunnels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Was looking at going to Hawaii in March for a week.

I dont think I want to go on holiday in a country with a racist at the helm.

Sad to see America go this way, but its out of bound for the next 4 years for me.

I've been reading this thread on-off for the past few months, and I cant say I was expecting a result like this. America is a deeply divided country and this is the result, the next 4 years could be very dark indeed.

I'm out of here, lads. Thanks for the entertainment.

Genuine question, how much do you honestly think Donald "make America great again" Trump can fulfill any small percentages of the promises he made during this campaign.
    All politicians "manipulate" voters with wishy washy soundbites but his campaign win is completely predicated on the extreme volume of same.

Here are some:

. Renegotiate or withdraw from the North American Free Trade Agreement and Trans-Pacific Partnership

. Cut taxes

etc, etc

I genuinely dont think any of these promises will be fulfilled to any satisfactory level and he wont have ANY impact on bloody walls, muslims or Mexican immigrants.

You spoke about HC manipulating certain disadvantaged demographics. Trump's win is completely based on this manipulation.

In fact from what I am reading from a lot of your posts he has completely manipulated you on a lot of issues.

This is not a pro HC post, I think she is equally as detestable in her own way but she would have ambition,intellect, support and contacts to implement a lot of her promises.

Trumps presidency was a chance to feed his ego, I doubt even him thought it possible to win the Republican campaign, let alone the Presidency, Its a case of now the hard work is done, he can go on holiday for 4 years.

I don't feel like I'm manipulated by Trump, I find Hillary Clinton and her team repulsive.

I agree with you about his policies, he hasn't really outlined specifics, any detail at all really. It's too early to say but with an all Republican Government it will really help him.

I think you need ego to be a leader, he chewed up and spat out those others in the primaries like it was nothing

Look at his old old interviews on Oprah etc, he's been spouting some of the same Policies for 20 years. He was much calmer back then though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,508 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Hillary on CNN SO ON now .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

seamus wrote: »
    But Trump is part of the establishment.

He is now.

I'm flabbergasted by it and of course today it's super easy for everyone in the media can see exactly why it happened even though they didn't have a clue.

The only thing that makes sense to me though is...

Obama was change, he was a movement. But given the state of things he inherited and his fairly social agenda the change couldn't come fast enough for the middle class who've things have essentially been getting worse for since Bush...and probably long before.

So Trump became the movement. No one thought he was playing the blue collar guy really but he was talking to them. Everyone knew he was a billionaire but he said he'd shake it all up. Michael Moore had a point when he spoke of Trump going to Michigan or maybe Pittsburg (not sure which) and he said he'd tax foreign imports 30%. I'm not sure many believed it but he was talking about things like that and he came across as perhaps crazy enough to do it.

On Hillary's side, you had the prospect of slight tweaks to a system that wasn't working for them anyway.

The democrats had a movement in Sanders but ignored it in favour of the insider because it was her turn.

And hilariously, months ago when people were speaking of the republican nomination process and how it was vulnerable to the loons taking it over, it was exactly this that won the republicians this victory and lost it for the dems.

I don't hold out much hope for it. Short terms gains for longer term problems but the people have spoken.

I really really hope he stops the attacks and the divisiveness now though. He has his majority, he can do whatever he wants but he can do it without the frenzied anger now that te election is won.

What was the actual effect of brexit? There was the same talk, I never followed how it went after that?

The pound tanked but Brexit holds a lot more economic uncertainty than Trump becoming president and that's what drives markets down. There won't be a clear direction of the market until Trump start talking economics. Which he won't do until next year.

• Advertisement

Hillary Clinton conceding with great dignity. Reminding everyone to give Trump an open mind, and to keep getting involved in politics.

Trump would be throwing toys if he were in this position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

On one level I thinks its a hoot. Any country that elects a total charlatan as president deserves what it gets. We just have hope the rest of us don't get too caught up in the shambles to come. The entertainment value will be high for sure - Alec Baldwin has four years solid work ahead.

But its sad too. For all its faults there was always a lot to admire about the US. Now you just want to laugh at them and be happy you don't live there.

Christy42 wrote: »
    You can't just open an account and short sell as you might not have the money to cover it if it booms so they aren't allowed unless they are already a large trader.

That's what's called a margin call. Short sell and the position goes against you and wipes out your leverage then they send the boys around to collect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

HensVassal wrote: »
    That's what's called a margin call. Short sell and the position goes against you and wipes out your leverage then they send the boys around to collect.

Yeah they really try and avoid letting that happen unless they are confident you know what you are doing.

Good speech by Hillary.
    Time to build bridges not burn them

I don't feel like I'm manipulated by Trump, I find Hillary Clinton and her team repulsive.

I agree with you about his policies, he hasn't really outlined specifics, any detail at all really. It's too early to say but with an all Republican Government it will really help him.

soooooooooooo what is the appeal?? Surely his policies and political intellect, ability to garnish support, party togetherness, ambition to really revolutionise the establishent and issues like employment, healthcare, social security etc etc are deal breakers for many. Its all well and good throwing your toys out of pram regarding "crooked Hillary" but what DID you expect fro Trump that appeals to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Hillary held that together.... You could see the pain was devastating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

**** building bridges, the main focus now is on preventing Trump from starting another war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,372 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Hillary held that together.... You could see the pain was devastating.
    That's the most emotion I've heard in her voice ever. Again regardless of what you think of Hillary Clinton she has continued what America seem to do well which is being gracious in defeat and a peaceful transfer of power. I think America should be grateful for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

seamus wrote: »
    But Trump is part of the establishment.

Far from it- hated by globalists, multinational corporations, political establishment and the media.

Been rich does not make you part of the establishment, his political allies are people like Giuliani who are not popular.

• Advertisement

vetinari wrote: »
    **** building bridges, the main focus now is on preventing Trump from starting another war.

Trump could not careless about anyone but American. He will not be sticking his nose in like Obama did in Libiya and Syria
    Assad needs to take control again, best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

2 of the last 5 US Presidential Elections have been won by a candidate that didn't receive the most votes.

Strange system.

You obviously haven't been following things.....

It was Clinton who was banging the war drum.
    I'm convinced this cost her in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

This is the standard anti-trump rhetoric been rolled out by the uninformed masses. "He's a lunatic, with his finger on the trigger" "what if he gets a tweet he doesn't like and he has a temper tantrum" And the irony of it, is that Clinton is known to favor military conflict, if anything WW3 has been averted by her not winning.

I don't like the guy, but when I hear he's a moron and an idiot I have to laugh, he just caused the most unlikely result in a presidential election ever. He's far smarter than what people give him credit for.

He said he would win - he did
    He said he would wipe the floor with Clinton - he did
    He said he would get a greater share of the minority vote than Romney did in the last election - he did

Far from the fool he's been painted as.

TheDoctor wrote: »
    2 of the last 5 US Presidential Elections have been won by a candidate that didn't receive the most votes.

Strange system.

And our ruling party received 26% of the vote.

Whatever works (however imperfect).

TheDoctor wrote: »

Strange system.

Too many electoral votes in California in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,372 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

But isn't it due to population though ? I mean at some point florida has gotten 4 more EC votes as it had only 25 in 2000.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

rob316 wrote: »
    This is the standard anti-trump rhetoric been rolled out by the uninformed masses. [...] "what if he gets a tweet he doesn't like and he has a temper tantrum"

...because that's never happened.

It is slightly under represented.

(10% of EC votes but 12% of the population).

• Advertisement

And our ruling party received 26% of the vote.

Whatever works (however imperfect).

They did get the most votes though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    What I love about this is the fact if Donald Trump was a boardsie he would of been banned many moons ago on here. He is the ultimate troll.

Well Played Sir....Well Played!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=777211
    His account is still open. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

Hillary Clinton conceding with great dignity. Reminding everyone to give Trump an open mind, and to keep getting involved in politics.

Trump would be throwing toys if he were in this position.

That's true. Sure, he gave a good victory speech but that's easy to do. What might a Trump concession speech have looked like? :eek:

I always knew Hillary would be dignified either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,974 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

rob316 wrote: »
    This is the standard anti-trump rhetoric been rolled out by the uninformed masses. "He's a lunatic, with his finger on the trigger" "what if he gets a tweet he doesn't like and he has a temper tantrum" And the irony of it, is that Clinton is known to favor military conflict, if anything WW3 has been averted by her not winning.

I don't like the guy, but when I hear he's a moron and an idiot I have to laugh, he just caused the most unlikely result in a presidential election ever. He's far smarter than what people give him credit for.

He said he would win - he did
    He said he would wipe the floor with Clinton - he did
    He said he would get a greater share of the minority vote than Romney did in the last election - he did

Far from the fool he's been painted as.

He called Weiner out over a year ago saying he was a huge security concern and told the crowd Huma must be sharing emails/information since they're married.

I imagine Donald will not be a fan of the job.

He's never worked in politics before so that's a shock to the system.

Just hand over day to day business to others and run his business.

• Advertisement

He called Weiner out over a year ago saying he was a huge security concern and told the crowd Huma must be sharing emails/information since they're married.

If you talk enough sh** then you'll eventually get something right.

For all his correct predictions you could list twice as many stupid ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

:D He scammed his supporters pretty well there. People claiming that he isn't part of an elite need to take note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

_Jamie_ wrote: »
    That's true. Sure, he gave a good victory speech but that's easy to do. What might a Trump concession speech have looked like? :eek:

I always knew Hillary would be dignified either way.

I love this

This morning everyone is ready for a ungracious Trump victory speech, but it never arrives.

So now they spend their time speculating that he would have given an ungracious concession speech.

And had he waited as long as Clinton to give that concession speech he would be ripped to shreds here too.

Obama meeting Trump tomorrow in Oval office at White House
    Biden will meet him behind gym afterwards

Obama meeting Trump tomorrow in Oval office at White House
    Biden will meet him behind gym afterwards

To be a fly on the wall at that meeting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,259 ✭✭✭✭briany

wes wrote: »
    :D He scammed his supporters pretty well there. People claiming that he isn't part of an elite need to take note.

Trump is the personification of corporate capitalism. Instead of voting in a guy who gets lobbied to, they voted in the guy who does the lobbying, and that was supposed to be some sort of coup? It cuts out the middle-man in some ways, I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

briany wrote: »
    Trump is the personification of corporate capitalism. Instead of voting in a guy who gets lobbied to, they voted in the guy who does the lobbying, and that was supposed to be some sort of coup? It cuts out the middle-man in some ways, I suppose.

Exactly, and in some ways, I am glad that corporate interests are involved. It hopefully means nothing to nutty happens.

There is also a degree of schadenfreude on my part on how easily people were swindled.

And had he waited as long as Clinton to give that concession speech he would be ripped to shreds here too.
    Surely someone would have sensibly pointed out that thousands of Hillary Clinton's supporters had already been standing in the convention centre for up to 12 hours, and it wasn't fair to keep them there indefinitely, before the counts were in.

And that when she lost Arizona, Clinton did immediately concede over the telephone, instead of appearing on TV and putting herself at the centre of everything.

It's just bizarre to be defending Hillary Clinton, as if her not conceding was some sort of threat, when Donald Trump said he'd accept the result "if" he won.

The level of hypocrisy is genuinely bizarre.

Here are some:

. Cut taxes

etc, etc

I think you need ego to be a leader, he chewed up and spat out those others in the primaries like it was nothing

Look at his old old interviews on Oprah etc, he's been spouting some of the same Policies for 20 years. He was much calmer back then though
    soooooooooooo what is the appeal?? Surely his policies and political intellect, ability to garnish support, party togetherness, ambition to really revolutionise the establishent and issues like employment, healthcare, social security etc etc are deal breakers for many. Its all well and good throwing your toys out of pram regarding "crooked Hillary" but what DID you expect fro Trump that appeals to you?

So are you going to answer this, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

So now they spend their time speculating that he would have given an ungracious concession speech.

People are basing this view on his own words! We're not pulling it from our hoops. When asked directly, he refused to say that he would concede. If people speculate on this, he only has himself to be blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

3 things you thought you'd never see happen:

President Donald Trump
    UK leave EU
    Ireland beat All Blacks

We the state or Ireland are beating all blacks........ and we call Trump racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

There's literally emails on the foundation donations of people discussing how to hide the money. There's not circumstance, that's corruption.

Assange is already in prison, he can't step outside the door or he`ll be arrested and sent to Sweden, then extradited to the US. He doesn't even have a window.

He voluntarily entered the building, no one will stop him if tries to walk out the front door. He'll be arrested at which point he'll be sold to avail himself of the courts in at least 3 jurisdictions to prove his innocence......seems once again there's a double standard when it comes to Clinton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

HensVassal wrote: »
    You know what I meant. Fine, nobody's going to actually buy one of these obsolete hulks. Scrap one or scrap that stupid $1.5 Trillion F35 project. That might free up a few nickels to fix the bridges and tunnels.

You do understand the concept of 'sunk cost'?

Scrap the WTF-35 by all means, but Lockheed Martin won't be issuing refunds or credit notes.

Btw, how do you think Congress would react to the project being cancelled, plants bring closed, bases shut etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Wow, the one person who predicted the way it turned out exactly was.... Michael Moore...
    Midwest Math, or Welcome to Our Rust Belt Brexit. I believe Trump is going to focus much of his attention on the four blue states in the rustbelt of the upper Great Lakes – Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. Four traditionally Democratic states – but each of them have elected a Republican governor since 2010 (only Pennsylvania has now finally elected a Democrat). In the Michigan primary in March, more Michiganders came out to vote for the Republicans (1.32 million) that the Democrats (1.19 million). Trump is ahead of Hillary in the latest polls in Pennsylvania and tied with her in Ohio. Tied? How can the race be this close after everything Trump has said and done? Well maybe it’s because he’s said (correctly) that the Clintons’ support of NAFTA helped to destroy the industrial states of the Upper Midwest. Trump is going to hammer Clinton on this and her support of TPP and other trade policies that have royally screwed the people of these four states. When Trump stood in the shadow of a Ford Motor factory during the Michigan primary, he threatened the corporation that if they did indeed go ahead with their planned closure of that factory and move it to Mexico, he would slap a 35% tariff on any Mexican-built cars shipped back to the United States. It was sweet, sweet music to the ears of the working class of Michigan, and when he tossed in his threat to Apple that he would force them to stop making their iPhones in China and build them here in America, well, hearts swooned and Trump walked away with a big victory that should have gone to the governor next-door, John Kasich.
    From Green Bay to Pittsburgh, this, my friends, is the middle of England – broken, depressed, struggling, the smokestacks strewn across the countryside with the carcass of what we use to call the Middle Class. Angry, embittered working (and nonworking) people who were lied to by the trickle-down of Reagan and abandoned by Democrats who still try to talk a good line but are really just looking forward to rub one out with a lobbyist from Goldman Sachs who’ll write them nice big check before leaving the room. What happened in the UK with Brexit is going to happen here. Elmer Gantry shows up looking like Boris Johnson and just says whatever **** he can make up to convince the masses that this is their chance! To stick to ALL of them, all who wrecked their American Dream! And now The Outsider, Donald Trump, has arrived to clean house! You don’t have to agree with him! You don’t even have to like him! He is your personal Molotov cocktail to throw right into the center of the bastards who did this to you! SEND A MESSAGE! TRUMP IS YOUR MESSENGER!
    And this is where the math comes in. In 2012, Mitt Romney lost by 64 electoral votes. Add up the electoral votes cast by Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. It’s 64. All Trump needs to do to win is to carry, as he’s expected to do, the swath of traditional red states from Idaho to Georgia (states that’ll never vote for Hillary Clinton), and then he just needs these four rust belt states. He doesn’t need Florida. He doesn’t need Colorado or Virginia. Just Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. And that will put him over the top. This is how it will happen in November.
    http://michaelmoore.com/trumpwillwin/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

FatherTed wrote: »
    Wow, the one person who predicted the way it turned out exactly was.... Michael Moore...

http://michaelmoore.com/trumpwillwin/
    Yeah, I read that and thought it was well constructed. Certainly turned out that way.

Low turnout has to have been a factor too. Less than 50% voted which I think is the lowest since 1996 and only the second lowest since 1924.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement