Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 U.S. Presidential Race Megathread Mark 2.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Like every election promise in the world the devil is in the detail, but Trump has gone at least further than the Obama administration by using the term "radical Islam" on the first place

Colour me unimpressed. 'Radical Islam' is a meaningless term.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

trumps transition website apologies if posted already.
    More detail on his policies, some interesting stuff.

https://www.greatagain.gov/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

alastair wrote: »

Do you deny that extreme forms of Islam do not exist and manifest themselves in the Muslim world? They do. You, me and half the world know this yet the bleeding liberals are completely clueless on this. By the way being anti Radical Islam is not the same as hating all Muslims everywhere.

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree Alastair, I don't think there's any merit to his platform either, how could I with all of the insane rhetoric and racism?

The point is that the media have alienated his followers to such a degree that they are now impervious to any reasoned argument and are ripe for Trump. Listening to their fears and frustrations about how immigration and globalisation have impacted their lives does not mean we are turning our back on liberal ideals or condoning the nonsense.

But by completely ignoring them means they, in turn, completely ignore liberal view points and there's a stalemate. Their bubble is bad, our bubble is bad, we just don't condone discrimination, which is a big plus. But if we don't prick our bubble, how we can expect them to listen to us? To reason with us? Bottom line, I want a media where all view points are heard, in my own bubble belief that if they are open to discussion, they'll see that most of what Trump comes out with is certifiable...

Two comments.
    1. I don't actually agree that there's much ignoring of the disenfranchised going on. I doubt Hillary was kept in the dark about rust belt concerns. She just wasn't prepared to offer magic 'solutions' to real problems. Same story on the Remain campaign in sink estates (or Cornwall!?).
    2. It's a bit patronising (that other fine quality ascribed to liberals) to assume that the only/prime reason punters reject liberal platforms is because they haven't been exposed to them enough. Sometimes people are just contrary, stubborn, or, yes, dumb, and no amount of dialogue will shift them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Do you deny that extreme forms of Islam do not exist and manifest themselves in the Muslim world? They do. You, me and half the world know this yet the bleeding liberals are completely clueless on this. By the way being anti Radical Islam is not the same as hating all Muslims everywhere.

It is just another pejorative term like 'militant atheist ' signifying nothing . A bit like 'bleeding liberals '

The strawman argument is strong here.

'Radical' is an entirely subjective term, and therefore has no place in any reasoned debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

By using the word Islam, you are giving the terrorists legitimacy. They no more represent Islam than the KKK represent Christians.

It is important to distinguish between radical/militant Muslims and the vast majority of peaceful Muslims. Responsible people with power have avoided the term in order to avoid conflating the two words. Obama and George Bush did this. The reason being that the vast majority of Muslims who are totally innocent and overwhelming the victims of terrorism would see it as linking the two together. It also gives a false legitimacy to the radicals.
    Using the term does not help at all,it is in fact counterproductive. The aim of the terrorists is to radicalise all of Islam, they want to turn a fight between a tiny minority into a fight against all Muslims.

trump is helping them achieve this aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Wow, you're just a GOP-talking-point parroting machine, aren't you?

Can you point to the scientific consensus that backs up that position?

It is scientific fact the sun has a major effect on the climate of the Earth.

http://www.space.com/19280-solar-activity-earth-climate.html

The pollutants humans put out affect some of the climate but there are other factors in climate. Humans need to work to reduce pollution.
    Back in 2010 when we had the record breaking cold December, Met Eireann said the lack of sun spots is linked to a negative Arctic oscillation which causes blocking highs to form which keeps the Atlantic at bay.
    Currently sun spot activity is weakening and weather models are projecting a colder than average winter for western Europe due to blocking highs sending us winds from the Arctic.
    El Nino's are associated with higher than average rainfall in places like Peru and milder winters in Europe, it also reduces the number of Atlantic hurricanes.
    El Nina is associated with higher than average rainfall in places like Australia.
    http://www.environmentalscience.org/el-nino-la-nina-impact-environment

Most weather events we see st this stage are the results of natural effects rather than man made climate change.
    Some man made climate sceptics and some man made climate change people overstate their positions, which does no one any good.
    A total denial is wrong, but blaming a specific weather event on man made climate change is also wrong.
    The main thing people should work towards is technologies that reduce pollution of the environment.
    Like smoking, polluting the air is not good for anything.

B0jangles wrote: »
    Are you saying it is as valid to protest in favour of racism as it is to protest against it?

I mentioned rioting and that is not acceptable whatever one supports.

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »

http://www.space.com/19280-solar-activity-earth-climate.html

The pollutants humans put out affect some of the climate but there are other factors in climate. Humans need to work to reduce pollution.
    Back in 2010 when we had the record breaking cold December, Met Eireann said the lack of sun spots is linked to a negative Arctic oscillation which causes blocking highs to form which keeps the Atlantic at bay.
    Currently sun spot activity is weakening and weather models are projecting a colder than average winter for western Europe due to blocking highs sending us winds from the Arctic.
    El Nino's are associated with higher than average rainfall in places like Peru and milder winters in Europe, it also reduces the number of Atlantic hurricanes.
    El Nina is associated with higher than average rainfall in places like Australia.

Most weather events we see st this stage are the results of natural effects rather than man made climate change.
    Some man made climate sceptics and some man made climate change people overstate their positions, which does no one any good.
    A total denial is wrong, but blaming a specific weather event on man made climate change is also wrong.
    The main thing people should work towards is technologies that reduce pollution of the environment.
    Like smoking, polluting the air is not good for anything.
    There's a big difference between meteorological outliers and gradual climate change.

You need to be able to tell the difference.

But happily there's plenty of literature out there to help you. If that's too much effort, there are videos.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Well, that's just fascinating, but it's nothing more than a deflection from the actual question, which is the effect of human activity on climate change.
    The pollutants humans put out affect some of the climate but there are other factors in climate.
    There are other factors in lung cancer, but that doesn't make smoking a good idea.

Nice pivot from a discussion on climate to one on weather, which is not what we're discussing.

I'll ask again: can you link to the scientific consensus that the sun is affecting the global climate more than human activity is?

There's a big difference between meteorological outliers and gradual climate change.

You need to be able to tell the difference.

But happily there's plenty of literature out there to help you. If that's too much effort, there are videos.

I am not denying man made climate change.

The people who do the most damage to the argument are people who blame specific weather events on man made climate change.

I saw people blame man made climate change for the record breaking cold of December 2010. When it was a combination of no sun spots and a La Nina doing what they have always done as in the famous snow and cold events of 1917, 1947, 1963, 2009 and 2010.
    The scientific evidence is there but some who refuse to look at the science simply said the cold of December 2010 was evidence of man made climate change.

You might see me as an ignoramus, I don't know, but there are plenty of ignoramuses on all sides of this, whether denying putting so much pollution into the atmosphere has no effect, or blaming single weather events as evidence of climate change, or not understanding natural climate change events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

This response just typifies how the liberal wing got it so wrong this week.

The inability to use certain language to describe something and the castigating of other who do use that language just baffels me.

I'll help you out however, tell me what term you would use to describe the people who shot up Paris this night last year, or who bombed the Brussels airport, and I'll yell you that Trump has promised to keep America safe from them.

I'll not use radical Islam again, but you have to come up with an alternative term to describe them, while maintaining the realty that these people believe that they are doing this in the name of Islam.

20Cent wrote: »
    It is important to distinguish between radical/militant Muslims and the vast majority of peaceful Muslims. Responsible people with power have avoided the term in order to avoid conflating the two words. Obama and George Bush did this. The reason being that the vast majority of Muslims who are totally innocent and overwhelming the victims of terrorism would see it as linking the two together. It also gives a false legitimacy to the radicals.
    Using the term does not help at all,it is in fact counterproductive. The aim of the terrorists is to radicalise all of Islam, they want to turn a fight between a tiny minority into a fight against all Muslims.

trump is helping them achieve this aim.

Oh I very much agree we have to get a lot better at distinguishing between radical Muslims and the secularists who are being murdered by the followers of this sick warped ideology. Lets get this straight the literature that comes out of the Madrassas of Saudi Arabia and Pakistan is causing the anti-Semitism in Arab lands and in Europe and America. People like you saying the Wahhabi Islamist fanaticism does not exist is just plain silly. Islam is full of sectarianism and the secularist are being totally ignored.

Well, that's just fascinating, but it's nothing more than a deflection from the actual question, which is the effect of human activity on climate change. There are other factors in lung cancer, but that doesn't make smoking a good idea.

Nice pivot from a discussion on climate to one on weather, which is not what we're discussing.

I'll ask again: can you link to the scientific consensus that the sun is affecting the global climate more than human activity is?

The sun is the main heater of the planet which in turn affects the climate. Humans are causing effects which are above what the sun does.
    Put it this way, which has a bigger effect on the climate of Earth- the sun dies and becomes a white dwarf, or if humans go the way of the dinosaurs?

Are you going to say humans have a bigger effect than the sun?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,065 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

There's infighting in the Trump camp about who's going to get what job. Chris Christie demoted to deputy of transition team, Mike Pence takes over as head of team. Rudy might be given Sec of State job. Don favours Mike Bannon as his Chief of Staff in W/House.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjzy8nRzaHQAhWjJcAKHctmB9kQqQIIHzAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wsj.com%2Farticles%2Fdonald-trump-shuffles-transition-team-making-mike-pence-chairman-1478890592&usg=AFQjCNFr0duGiGEwqZUEIlgpUGxIBkjRbA

Oh I very much agree we have to get a lot better at distinguishing between radical Muslims and the secularists who are being murdered by the followers of this sick warped ideology. Lets get this straight the literature that comes out of the Madrassas of Saudi Arabia and Pakistan is causing the anti-Semitism in Arab lands and in Europe and America. People like you saying the Wahhabi Islamist fanaticism does not exist is just plain silly. Islam is full of sectarianism and the secularist are being totally ignored.

Where did I say Wahhabi Islamist fanaticism doesn't exist?

George W Bush didn't use the term either because its divisive and counterproductive to conflate the two words. Nothing to do with denying anything. Even the CIA and terrorism experts avoid using it. Imagine the IRA were called "radical catholicism" all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Gowdy for AG maybe?

• Advertisement

Where did I say Wahhabi Islamist fanaticism doesn't exist?

George W Bush didn't use the term either because its divisive and counterproductive to conflate the two words. Nothing to do with denying anything. Even the CIA and terrorism experts avoid using it. Imagine the IRA were called "radical catholicism" all the time.

I would consider Guy Fawkes a Radical catholic just like I consider Osama Bin Laden a radical Muslim who planned the 9/11 attacks and the ISIS militants slaughtering and maiming Syrian and Iraqi civilians.

I would consider Guy Fawkes a Radical catholic just like I consider Osama Bin Laden a radical Muslim who planned the 9/11 attacks and the ISIS militants slaughtering and maiming Syrian and Iraqi civilians.

Grand so what?

How do you think the benefit to calling it radical Islam is?

I would consider Guy Fawkes a Radical catholic...

And yet, he's almost never referred to as such. It's almost as if his religion is objectively less important than the fact that he decided that mass murder was a useful way of achieving his political goals.

Grand so what?

How do you think the benefit to calling it radical Islam is?

The most appropriate term to call them is Jihadists committed to suicide bombings & beheadings against non practicing Muslims. You see it in Gaza and Mosul. They are terrorists they hate our values and distort their own religion. For centuries beautiful heritage sites were untouched by Islamic leaders. Sunni, Shia and non religious lived side by side before we see this rise of Jihadism and sectarianism. Clearly these people are terrorists engaging in mass murder.

The most appropriate term to call them is Jihadists committed to suicide bombings & beheadings against non practicing Muslims. You see it in Gaza and Mosul. They are terrorists they hate our values and distort their own religion. For centuries beautiful heritage sites were untouched by Islamic leaders. Sunni, Shia and non religious lived side by side before we see this rise of Jihadism and sectarianism. Clearly these people are terrorists engaging in mass murder.

Bit long isn't it? "Jihadists committed to suicide bombings & beheadings against non practicing Muslims"

Most of the people they kill are other Muslims so why the "non practicing muslims" bit?

Why not call them terrorists or by whatever group they belong to?

Bit long isn't it? "Jihadists committed to suicide bombings & beheadings against non practicing Muslims"

Most of the people they kill are other Muslims so why the "non practicing muslims" bit?

Why not call them terrorists or by whatever group they belong to?

No call them Jihadists the committed to suicide bombings and beheadings is the addendum.

• Advertisement

And yet, he's almost never referred to as such. It's almost as if his religion is objectively less important than the fact that he decided that mass murder was a useful way of achieving his political goals.

Really ?
    I have always considered the main theme of the gunpowder plot was that the plotters were Catholics and they were doing it because they were Catholics.

But its historical obviously so its just ones interpretation of what they know about it.

This response just typifies how the liberal wing got it so wrong this week.

The inability to use certain language to describe something and the castigating of other who do use that language just baffels me.

I'll help you out however, tell me what term you would use to describe the people who shot up Paris this night last year, or who bombed the Brussels airport, and I'll yell you that Trump has promised to keep America safe from them.

I'll not use radical Islam again, but you have to come up with an alternative term to describe them, while maintaining the realty that these people believe that they are doing this in the name of Islam.

How about terrorists? Works well, and has at least the benefit of identifying an actual problem. It really doesn't matter what the rational for the act is, the problem is the act itself.

How about terrorists? Works well, and has at least the benefit of identifying an actual problem. It really doesn't matter what the rational for the act is, the problem is the act itself.

Great
    Trump is going to be tough on terrorists, so is that something positive from his platform ?

Sorry to burst another bubble, but the world isn't divided between 'radical muslims' and 'secularists'. There's the usual range of belief within the faith, and plenty of devout followers who reject both secularism and Islamist violence. Just like any other faith tbh. Christianity is equally full of sectarianism, as a glance around this little island will confirm.

Great
    Trump is going to be tough on terrorists, so is that something positive from his platform ?

Again - depends what you mean by 'tough'. I'll stick my neck out and suggest torture and punishment murders of family members are probably the wrong shade of 'tough'. But then I doubt he's really thought much of his 'tough' talk through.

• Advertisement

Grubhub shares fell near 6% after that email controversy.

Buy some quick. Easiest 6% you'll ever make.

Wow! Just goes to show that kneejerk difficulties with written comprehension are not that limited! Validation for ignorance is to be found in the markets!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

aloyisious wrote: »
    There's infighting in the Trump camp about who's going to get what job. Chris Christie demoted to deputy of transition team, Mike Pence takes over as head of team. Rudy might be given Sec of State job. Don favours Mike Bannon as his Chief of Staff in W/House.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjzy8nRzaHQAhWjJcAKHctmB9kQqQIIHzAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wsj.com%2Farticles%2Fdonald-trump-shuffles-transition-team-making-mike-pence-chairman-1478890592&usg=AFQjCNFr0duGiGEwqZUEIlgpUGxIBkjRbA

How are his adult children both on the transition team and managing his businesses? When does the blind trust have to kick in?

Wow! Just goes to show that kneejerk difficulties with written comprehension are not that limited! Validation for ignorance is to be found in the markets!
    Meh! Markets are as skittish as a newly broken colt. They see something fluttering in the wind and shy away.

Which is why I said it would be an easy 6%.

They'll forget about it after a good night's sleep and in the morning, wonder why a company like that is so undervalued. :)

Stheno wrote: »
    How are his adult children both on the transition team and managing his businesses? When does the blind trust have to kick in?

Presumably it isn't an issue until post-transition. Though I see Ivanka's husband is being mooted as an appointee. I'm sure it'll all be up to the normal level of Trump enterprise legality and transparency.

President-elect Trump being such an unreasonable person has said he is ready to compromise on Obamacare after his talks with President Obama.

Trump says Hillary was lovely when she called to concede, she said 'congratulations and well done', he said she couldn't have been nicer and it was tougher for her than if he had lost and had to ring Hillary and it would have been very difficult for him.
    He said he thanked her and told her she was a very strong competitor and very smart.
    Bill rang and said it was one of the greatest campaigns he had ever seen.
    He said he would consider ringing the Clintons for advice as they are a very talented family.

Stheno wrote: »

Probably not till it's a bit closer to the swearing-in day. Re the kids, it keeps them safe from talking and from haters. Paul (I think it was) made the statement years ago to the media about Fox News and Republicans being stupid. Think of it as on-the-job training in a new line of work.

Trump says Hillary was lovely when she called to concede, she said 'congratulations and well done', he said she couldn't have been nicer and it was tougher for her than if he had lost and had to ring Hillary and it would have been very difficult for him.
    He said he thanked her and told her she was a very strong competitor and very smart.
    Bill rang and said it was one of the greatest campaigns he had ever seen.
    He said he would consider ringing the Clintons for advice as they are a very talented family.

A week ago he wanted to jail Hillary. Backtracking now.

• Advertisement

A week ago he wanted to jail Hillary. Backtracking now.

Trump did to Hillary what he did to win the Republican primaries - attack, attack, attack his rivals then when no longer a threat he stops completely, look he had Ted Cruz speak at the convention...though that kinda backfired on Ted :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Terrlock

He might be just being nice until he actually gets past the inaugurations.

I hear rumor that Trey Gowdy might be the new Attorney General.

Now that would be very interesting for Hillary Clinton.

President-elect Trump being such an unreasonable person has said he is ready to compromise on Obamacare after his talks with President Obama.

It might be an indicator that the plan he had to replace Obama-care when he took over may not be fit for purpose. The health insurance industry itself might not like some-one moving in and shutting down the lucrative business they have under Obama-care with the ability to up customers charges, which was one of the reasons voters told the TV crews they were voting Trump.

Just in passing, is there much difference in the wording of the bills which were the basis of Obama-care and the other care plan of Obama's predecessor, and the schemes themselves? Would the earlier scheme have been hijacked as easily by the greedy industry companies? Is there any legislation whereby the companies can be pursued by Trump when he takes up office or will he be stymied by friends in congress?

I'm curious: was he "telling it like it is" when he promised to completely repeal the ACA on his first day in office, or when he decided that he'd keep it after all?

For someone who tells it like it is, he seems awfully vague on what "it" is.

John Podesta is blaming Comey and the media for Hillary's loss.

CNN are blaming Hillary for setting up the private email server.

I'm curious: was he "telling it like it is" when he promised to completely repeal the ACA on his first day in office, or when he decided that he'd keep it after all?

He said after talking to Obama that he wants to keep the law that people with pre-existing conditions are not excluded from health insurance and that children can remain on their parents plans until age 26.

He said after talking to Obama that he wants to keep the law that people with pre-existing conditions are not excluded from health insurance and that children can remain on their parents plans until age 26.

That's nice. Want to have a stab at answering the question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

Before anyone can say what "it" is, we first need to know what "is" is.

Buy some quick. Easiest 6% you'll ever make.

The CEO and CFO had sold $148 million worth of shares earlier this year so they seem to be telling shareholders to sell...

• Advertisement

It was answered.
    That's nice. Want to have a stab at answering the question?

You never answered this from earlier:
    The sun is the main heater of the planet which in turn affects the climate. Humans are causing effects which are above what the sun does.
    Put it this way, which has a bigger effect on the climate of Earth- the sun dies and becomes a white dwarf, or if humans go the way of the dinosaurs?

Are you going to say humans have a bigger effect than the sun?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement