Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 U.S. Presidential Race Megathread Mark 2.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,659 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

marienbad wrote: »
    Amerika , how is that 'draining the swamp ' project going :)
    Don't you know that nothing drains a swamp better than sticking tons of oil rigs in it? :rolleyes:

Enough of this.
    Isn't it a bit rich people are nitpicking Trumps picks when Obama's entire cabinet was chosen by Citigroup's bank. Or are you telling me the same thing wouldn't happen with Saint Hillary.

Quit using inflammatory language.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

Isn't it a bit rich people are nitpicking Trumps picks when Obama's entire cabinet was chosen by Citigroup's bank. Or are you telling me the same thing wouldn't happen with Saint Hillary.

Hillary didn't campaign on doing things differently. Trump did campaign on a platform of sticking it wall Street which he has clearly abandoned. I have no issue with him abandoning it but had I supported him I would be furious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭TheOven

I'm surprised boards.ie's map enthusiasts haven't posted Breitbarts version of the map. Did you know if you take out the highly populated areas Trump won the popular vote?

https://www.facebook.com/Breitbart/posts/10158087421120354

Excellent work with MS paint. Hopefully they can afford photoshop soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Just breaking on CNN but trump had just settled out of court for $25million for the trump university fraud case.....

Is this an admission of guilt? If he was innocent of fraud he should have fought it. He never settles apparently....

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Christy42 wrote: »
    Hillary didn't campaign on doing things differently. Trump did campaign on a platform of sticking it wall Street which he has clearly abandoned. I have no issue with him abandoning it but had I supported him I would be furious.
    I thought Trump is requiring his cabinet to sign a no-lobbying agreement...

Anyone who is appointed to Donald Trump’s administration will be banned from becoming a paid lobbyist for five years after leaving the White House, his transition office announced Wednesday night.’

'In a press conference, Trump aid Sean Spicer announced that “All appointees will be required to sign a form agreeing to abide by the ban before starting work.'"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Just breaking on CNN but trump had just settled out of court for $25million for the trump university fraud case.....

Is this an admission of guilt? If he was innocent of fraud he should have fought it. He never settles apparently....

So he paid Twenty Five Million Dollars?

Its certainly an admission of guilt. Why would anyone pay twenty five million dollars otherwise? Hysterical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭nc6000

alastair wrote: »
    Well, if you're suggesting that registered Republicans were a key target in Hillary's campaign, then yes, but otherwise, it's the same electorate she was pitching to: Democrats and independent/unaffiliated voters.

So Hillary pitched to them by not going near them once she got the nomination back in July?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

nc6000 wrote: »
    So Hillary pitched to them by not going near them once she got the nomination back in July?

She sent Bill, she sent Chelsea, she sent Biden, she sent Kaine, and she sent Bernie, having twice campaigned herself in the state. It's not as if the electorate were neglected.

TheOven wrote: »
    I'm surprised boards.ie's map enthusiasts haven't posted Breitbarts version of the map. Did you know if you take out the highly populated areas Trump won the popular vote?

https://www.facebook.com/Breitbart/posts/10158087421120354

Excellent work with MS paint. Hopefully they can afford photoshop soon.

Grand parade of stupidity in the comments too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Bill Clinton settled a few cases out of court too.

Perhaps he didn't want the bother of going through a long process which the media will lap up, who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,062 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Amerika wrote: »
    I thought Trump is requiring his cabinet to sign a no-lobbying agreement...

Anyone who is appointed to Donald Trump’s administration will be banned from becoming a paid lobbyist for five years after leaving the White House, his transition office announced Wednesday night.’

'In a press conference, Trump aid Sean Spicer announced that “All appointees will be required to sign a form agreeing to abide by the ban before starting work.'"

I reckon he's doing just that, probably why Matt Freedman left the transition team when the news of Mike taking over from Chris as head of the team. Matt is a Washington Firm lobbyist.

Perhaps he didn't want the bother of going through a long process which the media will lap up, who knows.

Well we know it cost him $25 million so that a lot of bother he must have bought his way out of.

She sent Bill, she sent Chelsea, she sent Biden, she sent Kaine, and she sent Bernie, having twice campaigned herself in the state. It's not as if the electorate were neglected.

My original point was the she herself didn't bother to visit.

Other than the two times she did.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,974 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

During the primary campaign, and not after she secured the Dems' nomination. Wisconsin pretty much sums up why she lost.

• Advertisement

During the primary campaign, and not after she secured the Dems' nomination. Wisconsin pretty much sums up why she lost.

It does? Then why did she lose Pennsylvania, where she campaigned incessantly, and right til the end, and win in Hawaii, which she never campaigned in at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Actually she did in March. But what does it matter now? She didn't visit California either. The idea that these 8 or so close states decide the election and where the vast majority of campaign $$$ and time go to shows how messed up this system is. It is the counter argument to Republican supporters claiming the Popular vote is bad because the elections would be decided by the cities.

But I recognize the US is a Republic made up of states rather than a democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,974 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It does? Then why did she lose Pennsylvania, where she campaigned incessantly, and right til the end, and win in Hawaii, which she never campaigned in at all?

Trump campaigned incessantly in Pennsylvania too, and also ignored Hawaii. Despite Hillary's increased vote in that state, Trump was able to turn out his supporters far better.

alastair wrote:

This is becoming rather tedious.

My original point was that even though Clinton lost the Wisconsin primary to Sanders she thought Wisconsin would vote for her in the Presidential election without campaigning there herself once she won the Democratic nomination.

I wasn't talking about California or Hawaii or any other state.

I was making the point that she took Wisconsin for granted and ended up losing it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

And if you remove the rural areas, the Democrats won the popular vote by more. Daft analysis.

Settling is not an admission of guilt, (and in this case, it specifically says as much in the settlement agreement). There are several reasons to settle, one obvious one is that it makes the problem go away. 25mllion isn't going to break Trump Inc, and by paying it, there will not be months of news reporting about a civil trial to distract or undermine anyone. Even if Trump would win, it may not be worth he hassle, and thus worth the 25mil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

And if you remove the rural areas, the Democrats won the popular vote by more. Daft analysis.

Settling is not an admission of guilt, (and in this case, it specifically says as much in the settlement agreement). There are several reasons to settle, one obvious one is that it makes the problem go away. 25mllion isn't going to break Trump Inc, and by paying it, there will not be months of news reporting about a civil trial to distract or undermine anyone. Even if Trump would win, it may not be worth he hassle, and thus worth the 25mil

Paying $1,000,000 for breaking the laws of new York seems to be admitting at least some guilt.
    http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/19/us/politics/trump-university.html

Also I feel it in the public interest to see what their president has done.

There is no justice for Corrupt and Fraud Trump. There isn't much coverage on the main stream media as well, I would have thought they would be bit more of coverage. Media bias???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

This is just a sad state of the world we live in now :( this is a guy saying that he just made news stories up for the laugh and most of the stuff was pro trump or anti clinton. Hillary didn't stand a chance when you get this type of stuff thrown at you all the time and people are gullible enough to believe it. Although he does say that he doesn't like trump. It make me angry

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-election-facebook-fake-news-creator-paul-horner-claims-responsibility/

"According to BuzzFeed, among the top 20 fake election-related articles on Facebook, most had a political bent that favored the Trump campaign; all but three were anti-Clinton or pro-Trump. Facebook users engaged with them more than 8.7 million times."

Sad sad sad
    Say thanks to anti-Trump bias in nearly all USA MSM, who totally lost trust and it will take years to restore it. A lot of people would rather believe alternative media than Clinton puppets
    And this is only tip of the iceberg
    journalists-wiki-tw.jpg

journalists-wiki-tw.jpg

Given that most on this list of 'collusion' are guilty of attending a press dinner to announce Hillary's campaign launch, it's not particularly convincing stuff. More of an ice cube than an iceberg tbh.

Given that most on this list of 'collusion' are guilty of attending a press dinner to announce Hillary's campaign launch, it's not particularly convincing stuff.

Good god. The fake news crap is getting silly.

Given that most on this list of 'collusion' are guilty of attending a press dinner to announce Hillary's campaign launch, it's not particularly convincing stuff. More of an ice cube than an iceberg tbh.
    Visiting Russia Today dinner was more than enough to call gen Flynn as Russian agent
    Both sides can play this game, especially when a lot of wikileaks shows coordination between Clinton campaign staff and media
    Donna Brazile was a nice example

Visiting Russia Today dinner was more than enough to call gen Flynn as Russian agent
    Both sides can play this game, especially when a lot of wikileaks shows coordination between Clinton campaign staff and media
    Donna Brazile was a nice example

I don't recall anyone here (or elsewhere for that matter) calling Michael Flynn a 'russian agent'. I do recall much hilarity at his claim that RT was pretty much the same as CNN. So, no, there seems to be one side (ie: you) playing this game of inane misrepresentation of the facts.

Both sides can play this game,especially when a lot of wikileaks shows coordination between Clinton campaign staff and media

But did it?

The fake news stories about wikileaks documents have become an epidemic.

I don't recall anyone here (or elsewhere for that matter) calling Michael Flynn a 'russian agent'.
    "Russian connections" was sounding like the biggest crime what he could commit

InTheTrees wrote: »
    But did it?

The fake news stories about wikileaks documents have become an epidemic.
    what else would you expect if every wikileaks revelations was showing how low can HRC sink for White House

Anyway, both sides played this game - do you remember this one for example?

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/793234169576947712
    https://twitter.com/johnpodesta/status/793237359508721669

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Both sides can play this game,

Alas, that is all these posts do. Game playing. All the while they deflect from the simple truth that Trump is in no way qualified for the position. And that he essentially lied his way into the White House.

$25m fraud settlement... I cant even.

• Advertisement

Only a deplorable loon would think that.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

What about that one? It appears to be true. Unless you have evidence to the contrary?

All the while they deflect from the simple truth that Trump is in no way qualified for the position.
    like Reagan
    anyway, it was a HRC campaign plan to make Trump as GOP nominee because he was looking like a most undetectable candidate
    have a look on attachment
    https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails/emailid/1120

And that he essentially lied his way into the White House.
    Hillary outperformed him. After bedtime stories about her health only liberals could believe her
    $25m fraud settlement... I cant even.
    he still looks like misbehaved toddler after Clinton Foundation

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It depends who you like more:

Trump and his 'Russian connections'.
    or
    Hillary and her direct links with the governments of Saudi Arabia and Qatar.

Russia blamed for hacking in the US, annexing Crimea and supporting Assad.
    Saudi Arabia linked with the 9/11 atrocity and along with Qatar are accused of funding ISIS, along with the most backward practices towards women and gay people.

Hillary would have kept the policies that Saudi Arabia favoured - the removal of Assad.
    Trump has to prove he is not a warmonger as he has stated such.

I hope Trump works with Assad and Russia to sort out that mess.
    Assad had a secular government and minorities were safe, the people the west and Hillary supported in Syria seem to be nothing more than at the very least a moderate brand of terrorist who helped to destroy their country.

like Reagan
    anyway, it was a HRC campaign plan to make Trump as GOP nominee because he was looking like a most undetectable candidate
    have a look on attachment
    https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails/emailid/1120

Hillary outperformed him. After bedtime stories about her health only liberals could believe her

he still looks like misbehaved toddler after Clinton Foundation

Reagan had years of State governance experience, following on from even more years of industry representation. Trump has zilch.

Hillary did outperform Trump. She got 1.3 million more votes than he managed.

The Clinton Foundation has precisely zero findings against it. I'd consider that about $25 million ahead, even ignoring the multiple judgements against Trump's business practice over the years.

RobertKK wrote: »
    It depends who you like more:

Trump and his 'Russian connections'.
    or
    Hillary and her direct links with the governments of Saudi Arabia and Qatar.

Russia blamed for hacking in the US, annexing Crimea and supporting Assad.
    Saudi Arabia linked with the 9/11 atrocity and along with Qatar are accused of funding ISIS, along with the most backward practices towards women and gay people.

Hillary would have kept the policies that Saudi Arabia favoured - the removal of Assad.
    Trump has to prove he is not a warmonger as he has stated such.

I hope Trump works with Assad and Russia to sort out that mess.
    Assad had a secular government and minorities were safe, the people the west and Hillary supported in Syria seem to be nothing more than at the very least a moderate brand of terrorist who helped to destroy their country.

Hillary had direct connections with Saudi and Qatar on account of having to actually govern. Trump will now have ample direct dealings with them too (ignoring his existing business dealings with them).

Your assessment of Assad, the FSA, and the nature of the dictatorship there are 'interesting' to say the least. No-one supports the bulwarking of Assad, outside Russia (half heartedly) and Iran.

So, that would be nobody actually calling him a Russian agent. Thanks for clarifying that, even if it's with yet more unsubstantiated hyperbole.

Hillary did outperform Trump. She got 1.3 million more votes than he managed.
    Because Trump as proper businessman didn't pay much attentions to big cities and was doing only necessary things to win. Did you ever hear about efficiency?
    She had way more money than Trump and the only choice he had was to spend his money efficiently
    Cxdmk_FUcAE3Wo1.jpg:large

Hillary won 62M votes and 68M voters didn't vote for her, which makes argument about popular vote pretty useless

RobertKK wrote: »

Assad had a secular government and minorities were safe...

Something that trumps supporters seem adamant in unraveling in the US.

• Advertisement

Because Trump as proper businessman didn't pay much attentions to big cities and was doing only necessary things to win. Did you ever hear about efficiency?
    She had way more money than Trump and the only choice he had was to spend his money efficiently
    Cxdmk_FUcAE3Wo1.jpg:large

Hillary won 62M votes and 68M voters didn't vote for her, which makes argument about popular vote pretty useless

Other than being the most popular candidate, pulling 63.5 million votes -1.3 million more than Trump. I guess.

RobertKK wrote:
    Assad had a secular government and minorities were safe.

Rubbish. Tell that to the relatives of the tens of thousands massacred by the regime. The assad family are bloody dictators who have ruled for 40 years under emergency powers after suspending the constitution.

You're obviously a fan of the Ba'ath party, so why not tell us why you think they're so great? Is it all the wars they've started against israel? The invasion and occupation of Lebanon?

Other than being the most popular candidate, pulling 63.5 million votes -1.3 million more than Trump. I guess.
    Who cares? In few weeks it will be interesting only for historians
    She knew the rules but she decided to waste resources to get electoral college and popular vote at the same time instead of concentrating on swing states
    She stated to believe rigged polls and she got what she deserves
    At least world become safe place again
    Defcon nuclear threat REDUCED to safest level following Donald Trump victory

She knew the rules but she decided to waste resources to get electoral college and popular vote at the same time instead of concentrating on swing states

Who cares? Well that majority of voters who preferred her platform over Trump's. See, when you claim that Trump outperformed Hillary, it certainly wasn't on selling his candidacy.

Oh, and thanks for another dose of fake news. It does appear to be your speciality. http://www.attn.com/stories/12867/meme-about-trump-and-defcon-goes-viral

Defcon nuclear threat REDUCED to safest level following Donald Trump victory[/URL]

You know that story is fake right? Maybe you didn't know...

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Rubbish. Tell that to the relatives of the tens of thousands massacred by the regime. The assad family are bloody dictators who have ruled for 40 years under emergency powers after suspending the constitution.

I've worked in Damascus on several occasions over the years and that view is a bit over the top. About 90% of the 'rebellion' was US funded and orchestrated, the remaining 10% from rural Syrians who legitimately felt deserted by Assad.

Most Syrians never seemed too bothered by Assad to be honest. As a Christian there, you never feel under threat.

• Advertisement

I've worked in Damascus on several occasions over the years and that view is a bit over the top. About 90% of the 'rebellion' was US funded and orchestrated, the remaining 10% from rural Syrians who legitimately felt deserted by Assad.
    Most Syrians never seemed too bothered by Assad to be honest.

The syrians have risen up quite a few times against the dictatorship of the assad family.

There have also been numerous massacres and atrocities since the early 60's when they took power.

Syria was the main opponent in three wars with Israel, and they also occupied Lebanon for ten(?) years.

The assad family are not pleasant people.

Do you not feel embarrassed posting crap news stories? This is how Corrupt and fraud Trump got elected with total and utter lies and and BS and the sad part was people like yourself got suckered in.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Do you not feel embarrassed posting crap news stories? This is how Corrupt and fraud Trump got elected with total and utter lies and and BS and the sad part was people like yourself got suckered in.....

The amount of outright lies and that got put out during this election campaign was unreal. Then you add in a corrupt media who have no interest in anything other then ratings and making money and you have a dangerously misinformed electorate.

There really needs to be a law about political ads for instance that includes some kind of punishment for ones that contain verifiable lies of which there was many.

Well that majority of voters who preferred her platform over Trump's.
    As I said majority of voters voted against Hillary. Fact that she slightly outperformed Trump doesn't change much
    Oh, and thanks for another dose of fake news. It does appear to be your speciality. http://www.attn.com/stories/12867/meme-about-trump-and-defcon-goes-viral
    Thanks for providing perfect example how Hillary supporters are using "fake news sites"
    This is the DEFCON Warning System. Alert status for 8 P.M., Thursday, October 20th, 2016. Condition code is Blue. DEFCON 4.
    http://defconwarningsystem.com/2016/11/08/defcon-warning-system-update-102016/
    This is the DEFCON Warning System. Alert status for 8 P.M., Thursday, November 10th, 2016. Condition code is Green. DEFCON 5.
    http://defconwarningsystem.com/2016/11/11/defcon-warning-system-update-111016/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

You do realise that the US military doesn't actually provide the current DEFCON level and that's just some random speculation site, right?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement