Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 U.S. Presidential Race Megathread Mark 2.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

Amerika wrote: »
    What are you afraid of? The CNN/Facebook debate will be a farce. Why not try a new format. Why not pick the top four topics people are concerned with: the economy, terrorism, jobs and healthcare... and let the two go at it.

If you think Trump would do little more than shout silly things and just insult his way through a debate, then I think you would be all for that format as it would cause Trump to lose face with the general electorate.

He has done it for months and hasn't lost face with the electorate. Anyway picking four topics is irrelevant without a moderator. They will veer off topic repeatedly. That is part of the point of a moderator.

Surely you would try a new format in an election with less at stake? Maybe a few regional elections and build it up? Seems like a smarter way to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Christy42 wrote: »
    He has done it for months and hasn't lost face with the electorate. Anyway picking four topics is irrelevant without a moderator. They will veer off topic repeatedly. That is part of the point of a moderator.

Surely you would try a new format in an election with less at stake? Maybe a few regional elections and build it up? Seems like a smarter way to do it.
    Okay, have a person who's only function is to stop things when they go off topic. Happy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Okay, have a person who's only function is to stop things when they go off topic. Happy?

Okay then, some kind of moderator is it?

I can do it... "Stop, please move on!" I'd hardly be called a moderator, dontcha think?

That is essentially a moderator.

• Advertisement

That is essentially a moderator.
    Not in American politics... here, that would be a jailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Plenty on both sides exasperated by the fact that their is still some life in this election.

Republicans basically just needed to select a generic politician in a suit and Clinton would really struggle.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins/republicans-privately-panic-at-terrifying-prospect-of-trump?utm_term=.gbXB8RPdK#.quw9z2DKB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,317 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What are you afraid of? The CNN/Facebook debate will be a farce. Why not try a new format. Why not pick the top four topics people are concerned with: the economy, terrorism, jobs and healthcare... and let the two go at it.

If you think Trump would do little more than shout silly things and just insult his way through a debate, then I think you would be all for that format as it would cause Trump to lose face with the general electorate.
    Christy42 wrote: »

You can't make this stuff up.

Overheal wrote: »
    You can't make this stuff up.

You forgot two. Here, let me help you out...
    I can do it... "Stop, please move on!" I'd hardly be called a moderator, dontcha think?
    Not in American politics... here, that would be a jailer.

you're comparing moderators to jailers. I chose to omit that because its completely ridiculous.

• Advertisement

you're comparing moderators to jailers. I chose to omit that because its completely ridiculous.
    Wrong again! If a person's function was to merely state "Stop, please move on," then 'jailer' is more apropos to 'moderator.'

I guess I can understand that if one’s only loyalty is to pedanticism.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I guess I can understand that if one’s only loyalty is to pedanticism.

You realise you're spouting pure nonsense? Any third party in a debate who's job it is to keep the debaters on topic is s moderator by definition.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    You realise you're spouting pure nonsense? Any third party in a debate who's job it is to keep the debaters on topic is s moderator by definition.
    Both candidates could each have a buzzer and use it when the debate goes off topic. That would work also, without the need of a third party, if that makes you feel better?

so who cuts to commercial?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You're right, she's making heavy weather of it. Same applies to the Republicans too. Whatever you think of Clinton, one of her main weaknesses is likability, or lack thereof. If the Republicans had found any kind of halfway decent candidate, it would have been over long ago. Instead they lost their base and it's all in play.

We'll let you handle that. But would it be okay if we didn't call you a 'moderator?'

Seriously though, I like the idea of trying a presidential debate sometime without a traditional moderator, so to say. I would like to see a debate of sorts with the candidates just duking it out in front of the American people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I thought Mitt Romney was poor, and this time he made a fool out of himself when attacking Trump.

Remember as well Trump has defeated 16 candiates so far. So he does have something about him. Hillary got through even though she lost so many states to Sanders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Trump of course !!!!

• Advertisement

We'll let you handle that. But would it be okay if we didn't call you a 'moderator?'

Seriously though, I like the idea of trying a presidential debate sometime without a traditional moderator, so to say. I would like to see a debate of sorts with the candidates just duking it out in front of the American people.

What im hearing is you're concerned Trump can't manage himself in a debate in the same way everyone else has for years, so you want the rules changed at the last minute, because the rules were announced ages ago, the moderators were announced recently, and they aren't Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter, and Eric Trump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

If it was a better economy politicians like Trump would not be necessary.

When do you think Wikileaks will be releasing their next round of leaked emails?

I’m guessing they will be released right before the October 9th debate in order to maximize effectiveness as half the questions in the debate will be posed directly by citizen participants and the other half will be posed by the moderator based on topics of broad public interest as reflected in social media and other sources. It will be hard for the moderators to ignore them if they trend on social media.

Also, what if it is revealed through the leaked emails that Hillary might have a serious health problem such as Parkinson’s disease or multiple sclerosis, as WikiLeaks teased in a Tweet? Would it be a game changer, and if so, would it be a game changer because of health reasons, or because of more lies from the campaign?

#abruptsubjectchange

#abruptsubjectchange

Huh? My post commented about the debate, which is what was being discussed. Please try and be more constructive in your comments.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,663 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

#abruptsubjectchange

Please post more constructively.
    Huh? My post commented about the debate, which is what was being discussed. Please try and be more constructive in your comments.

Next time you backseat mod, you'll get a ban.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There are loads of debates on youtube where they have decided to not use a moderator. It can work, but there are many examples of them failing.

The only circumstances when they would work is where both candidates are mature, have a mutual respect for each other and the audience, and have a degree of intellectual honesty and integrity.

If those are missing, then the 'debate' becomes a total farce. One side will shout down the other, completely preventing any semblance of a rational discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Trump needs to keep on message about the economy. He is appealing not to the GOP but to the Nation at large. Many were harmed and continue to be harmed by the malaise of the economic situation. I for one don't believe he alone has all the answers to fixing the economy however as evidence by the rise of right wing politics in America the economy has performed less than stellar for truly all Americans and a weak America is bad for the world.

At least we are seeing good signs out of the Kerry-Lavrov diplomacy over the weekend. Trump can court Democratic voters by pointing to the double standards of Washington. Speak about diplomacy to the electorate show a completely different self to the world at large.:cool:

Akrasia wrote: »
    There are loads of debates on youtube where they have decided to not use a moderator. It can work, but there are many examples of them failing.

The only circumstances when they would work is where both candidates are mature, have a mutual respect for each other and the audience, and have a degree of intellectual honesty and integrity.

If those are missing, then the 'debate' becomes a total farce. One side will shout down the other, completely preventing any semblance of a rational discussion.

As I read your post the irony hit me. In the last couple of weeks it’s been Trump who has appeared to be the presidential and sensible one, and Hillary who seems to have gone nasty and off the rails.

• Advertisement

Wait, have Trump speak about diplomacy? After he asked Russia to hack us and pissed off the Mexican government, one of our biggest trade partners, and lied about what they discussed and was caught doing it. Not to mention his perception in Europe, where most countries cant even understand how he got this far. He was close to being barred from entry into the United Kingdom. And all of that can be shot back in his face in a debate.

No, I think he should try and avoid the topic. He would be a disaster.

As I read your post the irony hit me. In the last couple of weeks it’s been Trump who has appeared to be the presidential and sensible one, and Hillary who seems to have gone nasty and off the rails.

I saw her leaning on the rail, not off of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I presume you're not following Trump's twitter feed then?
    He constantly attacks everyone who disagrees with him with childish personal insults.

If someone says something bad about Donald Trump, he immediately calls that person a failure or a loser who isn't worth listening to

He constantly attacks everyone who disagrees with him with childish personal insults.

If someone says something bad about Donald Trump, he immediately calls that person a failure or a loser who isn't worth listening to

The 258 People, Places and Things Donald
    Trump Has Insulted on Twitter: A Complete List

I applaud whomever coded this page.

Obviously you haven't been to Trump's Twitter feed lately.

you should read the above link then.

• Advertisement

you should read the above link then.
    You should read my post that started this. "In the last couple of weeks it’s been Trump who has appeared to be the presidential and sensible one, and Hillary who seems to have gone nasty and off the rails." I know it's infuriating to many here that I don’t sit back and just let people misstate and misconstrue my words. Sorry about that.

In other related news, I just saw this little quiz if you’ve been wondering which side you’re on. Hillary’s health has overshadowed her ‘deplorable comment. But it won’t go away. This type of stuff will continue to trend up till the election, and Trump's chances of winning improve every day because of it.

• You may be a deplorable if you stand for the National Anthem.

• Or if you know all the words to the Pledge of Allegiance, especially, “under God.”
    • Or if when you go to Market Basket, you tend to buy generic products, because you’re using your own money, not an EBT card.
    • You may be a deplorable if you just got your car inspected.
    • If you’re deployable, you’re definitely deplorable.
    • If you wake before noon, if you call Islamic terrorists Islamic terrorists, if you don’t have an Obamaphone and you don’t believe that global warming is “settled science” — can you say deplorable?
    • You may be deplorable if your passport, driver’s license and credit cards are all in the same name.
    • Saying Merry Christmas — Deplorable with a capital D!
    • You may be a deplorable if you wouldn’t mind showing some ID at the local precinct before you vote.
    • You are most assuredly a deplorable if you have more than one job.
    • You may be a deplorable if you’ve never used Western Union to wire welfare cash south of the border.
    • You may be a deplorable if all of your children have the same last name — and it’s your last name.
    • Or if while watching the second Monday night NFL game you were less irritated by the streaker than you were by all the fawning coverage of Colin Kaepernick on the pre-game show.
    • You may be a deplorable if you resent training your H1-B replacement.
    • Or the fact that the Earned Income Tax Credit is NOT earned.
    • Nothing says deplorable like the National Rifle Association.
    • If you liked your doctor and wanted to keep your doctor, if you wear pants rather than pajamas when you leave the house, if you were passed over for the job even though you got a 95 on the civil-service test — you know what you are.
    • You may be a deplorable if you don’t think you should have to press one for English.
    • If you lost your security clearance and your job for mishandling classified information, you are deplorable.
    • You may be a deplorable if you identify as a member of the gender in which you were born.
    • Or if you drained your 401(k) or took out a second mortgage on your house to pay for your kid’s tuition at UMass while the illegal alien down the hall goes on the arm.
    • Or if you believe that good fences make good neighbors.
    • You’re most definitely a deplorable if you have an American flag flying in your front yard.
    • Or if you’ve never windsurfed with John Kerry on Nantucket, or stood in line with Sen. Warren at your local “cheese shop.”
    • You are a deplorable if you believe All Lives Matter.

Man, did I ever fail... I must be deplorable. :(

"The US is so politically correct these days. Liberals brainwashing our teenagers. Can't just say what's on your mind"

"...basket of deplorables"

TRIGGERED

"The US is so politically correct these days. Liberals brainwashing our teenagers. Can't just say what's on your mind"

"...basket of deplorables"

TRIGGERED

That reminds me, I forgot one...

'If you’ve never needed a “safe space,” or heeded a “trigger warning” — deplorable.'

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

New CNN/ORC poll.

Trump leading in both Ohio and Florida.

Ohio
    Trump 46%
    Clinton 41%
    Johnson 8%
    Stein 2%

Florida
    Trump 47%
    Clinton 44%
    Johnson 6%
    Stein 1%

Nevada is swinging towards Trump - separate poll out today and not by CNN.

Poll shows Trump has momentum, but at this stage Hillary would still win without both Ohio and Florida.
    Poll reflects the weekend events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

WaPo started preparation of public opinion to fact that Hillary might skip debates
    Hillary Clinton may not recover from her pneumonia until late October

it explains why more and more DNC staff demanding contingency plan if Clinton will be out race
    Former DNC chairman calls for Clinton contingency plan

IMHO she will try to move debates into twitter where specially prepared staff will attack Trump from her account by questions and rely on media coverage. If it wont work - then Biden

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »
    New CNN/ORC poll.

Trump leading in both Ohio and Florida.

Ohio
    Trump 46%
    Clinton 41%
    Johnson 8%
    Stein 2%

Florida
    Trump 47%
    Clinton 44%
    Johnson 6%
    Stein 1%

Nevada is swinging towards Trump - separate poll out today and not by CNN.

Poll shows Trump has momentum, but at this stage Hillary would still win without both Ohio and Florida.
    Poll reflects the weekend events.

In Pennsylvania, Clinton’s lead, in a Quinnipiac’s polling of last Thursday and Friday, has been cut in half by Trump. Clinton led 48% to 43% in the recent poll, compared to 52% to 42% in an August 9th poll. Trump definitely has momentum here in PA, even though we’re flooded with Hillary TV commercials, and almost no Trump commercials. Of course I do get at least 2 phone calls from the Donald every week, and at least one letter every other day from him. Hillary doesn't bother with me.

Granted I live in rural PA, and not a city, but I have seen a lot of Trump yard signs everywhere in my travels. I have yet to see a single Hillary sign.

th?id=OIP.M11ed282697ec2217c80079f95ae854aeo0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=214&h=161

What states are expected to flip this election?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

What states are expected to flip this election?

Texas.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Colin Powell in leaked emails calls Trump a "national disgrace and an international pariah" and with Hillary Clinton he says "She screws up everything she touches"

He is quite damning of both.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Colin Powell in leaked emails calls Trump a "national disgrace and an international pariah" and with Hillary Clinton he says "She screws up everything she touches"

He is quite damning of both.
    He said more than that about Hillary...

"I would rather not have to vote for her, although she is a friend I respect. A 70-year person with a long track record, unbridled ambition, greedy,not transformational, with a husband still dicking bimbos at home (according to the NYP)."

I'd like to clarify my stance in case I've caused confusion lately:

14359256_1783034405117588_306992772432933931_n.jpg?oh=7deaeba71fb39bbb194fac6e8869a0d1&oe=5842E672

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭daithi7

Apologies if this has been covered already. But what happens if Hillary (or any candidate for that matter) goes down ill and deems herself unfit to contest the election???

Does her vice presidential candidate run instead?
    Do they revert back to her nearest democratic rival in the primaries e.g. Saunders?
    Or do they do a rapid contest to propose a. New candidate???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This guy on Twitter seems to have uncovered evidence in the latest DNC leak which proves that the DNC were given secret access to changing the voter registration lists, which would confirm Sanders supporters in Arizona and New York claiming to have mysteriously disappeared from the party's list when trying to vote in closed primaries:

(Click on the tweet to see the full thread, it's the replies which explain in detail how the system operated)

https://twitter.com/whatstherukkus/status/776078139713814528

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭FA Hayek

He said more than that about Hillary...

"I would rather not have to vote for her, although she is a friend I respect. A 70-year person with a long track record, unbridled ambition, greedy,not transformational, with a husband still dicking bimbos at home (according to the NYP)."

Ha, brilliant. So the rumours about Bill are true.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement