Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 U.S. Presidential Race Megathread Mark 2.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

K-9 wrote: »
    The government doesn't get involved in personal lives except abortion. Reducing the deficit by spending €6 trillion more.

That post doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.

The US government gets involved in all sorts. The US military is major part of the Southern Economy and immigration patrols are a big part of America's economy. Washington spends vast sums of money on all aspects of American lives. They pay for NATO. NASA is also gvt funded. Major projects were also American gvt financed. The bailout of the banks. Medicine for Americans. Trump has a case when he says the gvt wastes a hell of a lot and to hear posters come on here and say "Oh no America is very responsible, not spending much here". Trumps policies are not as expensive as current policies.

A trade deficit with a China with a billion people. That is what I call a National disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    A trade deficit with a China with a billion people. That is what I call a National disgrace.

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,974 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The US government gets involved in all sorts. The US military is major part of the Southern Economy and immigration patrols are a big part of America's economy. Washington spends vast sums of money on all aspects of American lives. They pay for NATO. NASA is also gvt funded. Major projects were also American gvt financed. The bailout of the banks. Medicine for Americans. Trump has a case when he says the gvt wastes a hell of a lot and to hear posters come on here and say "Oh no America is very responsible, not spending much here". Trumps policies are not as expensive as current policies.

You need to take your head out of the Trump bubble.

"Going down the road Joe to buy my 4x4 , that's right purpose built and MADE IN CHINA."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Why are you championing the guy who wants to spend €6 trillion more then?

I think you're verging on soap boxing or even ranting at this stage brian. You aren't engaging with other posters on here anyway.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,328 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget has released a report analyzing the proposed fiscal policies of candidates Clinton and Trump.

If congress plays along, nobody flies off the handle on a tweet and starts new wars in Syira, $6T more doesn't go missing in the Pentagon, etc etc. then of the 2 candidates, Clinton's plan would impact the debt over 10 years by adding $200,000,000,000.00 to it. Donald Trump's plan would add to it... $5,300,000,000,000. For those keeping score at home, Clinton's policies trump Trump by a miserly 26.5:1 ratio.

Most of Trump's losses come from promised tax cuts, which over the next 10 years would add $4.5T to the debt. Hillary's plan equally cancels out increased social spending with increased taxing to accommodate it: +$1.55T -$1.55T. Her policies actual save the country money on her immigration reform platform, and essentially her $200bn comes from additional health care policy reforms.

http://crfb.org/sites/default/files/Promises_and_Price_Tags_Preliminary_Update.pdf

You can all read it for yourselves but if you're beating your drum how Trump is going to do this and that, you may especially want to check the math on it.

Perhaps you should be in the business of selling things that China wants then?

Why are you championing the guy who wants to spend €6 trillion more then?

I think you're verging on soap boxing or even ranting at this stage brian. You aren't engaging with other posters on here anyway.

The argument posted is that Trump is some kind of racist extremist. I strongly believe he is not as extreme as popular myth about him is. All hyperbole designed to humiliate Mr Trump and the vicious attacks on his supporters is offensive to the American public. In business you have no friends. Competitors, business rivals & political opportunists are jumping on in when he has made important contributions to everyday American lives.

"Going down the road Joe to buy my 4x4 , that's right purpose built and MADE IN CHINA."

Is there something wrong with that?

• Advertisement

The argument posted is that Trump is some kind of racist extremist. I strongly believe he is not as extreme as popular myth about him is. All hyperbole designed to humiliate Mr Trump and the vicious attacks on his supporters is offensive to the American public. In business you have no friends. Competitors, business rivals & political opportunists are jumping on in when he has made important contributions to everyday American lives.

http://gawker.com/the-collected-quotes-of-donald-trump-on-the-blacks-1719961925

“Black guys counting my money! I hate it. The only kind of people I want counting my money are short guys that wear yarmulkes every day.”

“Laziness is a trait in blacks.”

Oh yeah, it's hard to see why he has such glowing support from the Klu Klux Klan.

Overheal wrote: »
    http://gawker.com/the-collected-quotes-of-donald-trump-on-the-blacks-1719961925

“Black guys counting my money! I hate it. The only kind of people I want counting my money are short guys that wear yarmulkes every day.”

“Laziness is a trait in blacks.”

Oh yeah, it's hard to see why he has such glowing support from the Klu Klux Klan.

You forgot to mention Trump's polices would actually help African Americans in deprived areas of the country that have been neglected by past gvts. That is the real racism.

You forgot to mention Trump's polices would actually help African Americans in deprived areas of the country that have been neglected by past gvts. That is the real racism.

Which policies are those? I have no idea.

Police brutality did not start when Trump decided to enter office. You can't put that on him.

Police brutality did not start when Trump decided to enter office. You can't put that on him.

I never said it did? :confused:

It's probably the fact that him being elected would make it socially acceptable to be racist again. Oh wait, that wouldn't help at all.

• Advertisement

KingBrian2 wrote:
    Trump's polices would actually help African Americans in deprived areas of the country that have been neglected by past gvts
    How? Be specific please.

How? Be specific please.

Just like with whites in the South or the Hispanic, Asian or whatever community all Americans will be treated the same and citizenship won't be privilege for liberal elitists who are not even liberal. Washington is all for Globalization and calling the supporters of Trump KKK sympathizers and troublemakers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Donald Trump talks out of both sides of his mouth from his political pulpit, condemning US corporations importing foreign goods, while at the same time he personally profits from selling his Signature Collection in America with goods MADE IN CHINA and MADE IN MEXICO.

main-qimg-24f11caa9ed52b0b758932f0439cd8d9-c?convert_to_webp=true

hqdefault.jpg

Black Swan wrote: »
    Donald Trump talks out of both sides of his mouth from his political pulpit, condemning US corporations importing foreign goods, while at the same time he personally profits from selling his Signature Collection in America with goods MADE IN CHINA and MADE IN MEXICO.

main-qimg-24f11caa9ed52b0b758932f0439cd8d9-c?convert_to_webp=true

hqdefault.jpg

He wouldn't be the first besides he is all about bring the companies back from China. He can only do that with the right environment. Now I am not saying he has all the answers. He is however devoted to making America a hell of a lot better producing decent work for all Americans. A noble task if I do say so myself.

Just like with whites in the South or the Hispanic, Asian or whatever community all Americans will be treated the same and citizenship won't be privilege for liberal elitists who are not even liberal.

That doesn't answer my question. Since the 1700s all men have been created equal - thats all you're saying.

What Trump policy will "help African Americans in deprived areas of the country that have been neglected by past gvts"?

I mean, what I'm getting at here is that you're saying that, but in fact you actually have no effin' clue. I welcome you to prove me wrong however. Which policy of Trumps will help inner city minorities? Stop and Frisk nationwide? Mass deportation? Carpet-bombing Syria?

• Advertisement

Trump has a lot of alt right type supporters. People calling out racist elements of his support is not offensive to the American public, that looks like deflection to me. That Trumps support rates Duke higher than Hillary speaks only about Trump supporters, who aren't the American people!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

That doesn't answer my question. Since the 1700s all men have been created equal - thats all you're saying.

What Trump policy will "help African Americans in deprived areas of the country that have been neglected by past gvts"?

I mean, what I'm getting at here is that you're saying that, but in fact you actually have no effin' clue. I welcome you to prove me wrong however. Which policy of Trumps will help inner city minorities? Stop and Frisk nationwide? Mass deportation? Carpet-bombing Syria?

As I said from the very beginning reducing gvt deficit. Solving the problem is complex and many Americans will be doing it. The Democrats don't believe in reducing gvt deficit and the idea that they are fiscally responsible is a joke. When Clinton was president the economy was growing and this improved his standing. Clinton was an alright President but given recent crisis the support for Trump is perfectly understandable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

You know what. I am tired by the repeated doing by Trump supporters on here.

Let's keep repeating this till we get an answer as to which Trump policies would help black people.

As I said from the very beginning reducing gvt deficit. Solving the problem is complex and many Americans will be doing it. The Democrats don't believe in reducing gvt deficit and the idea that they are fiscally responsible is a joke. When Clinton was president the economy was growing and this improved his standing. Clinton was an alright President but given recent crisis the support for Trump is perfectly understandable.

He's not reducing the deficit. look at the numbers.

http://crfb.org/sites/default/files/Promises_and_Price_Tags_Preliminary_Update.pdf

397551.PNG

I don't know how to make it any clearer for you: your belief that he will reduce the deficit is a complete falsehood. By your own admission things were done right under Bill Clinton, and Hillary Clinton's proposed numbers are right here for you. Your claim about her fiscal responsibility is demonstrably invalid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

He wouldn't be the first besides he is all about bring the companies back from China. He can only do that with the right environment. Now I am not saying he has all the answers. He is however devoted to making America a hell of a lot better producing decent work for all Americans. A noble task if I do say so myself.

The first "Make American Great Again" ball caps were MADE IN CHINA. Does anyone see the craic?

donald-trump-hat.png

Christy42 wrote: »
    You know what. I am tired by the repeated doing by Trump supporters on here.

Let's keep repeating this till we get an answer as to which Trump policies would help black people.

As opposed to the repeated insults of Trump routinely. The fact that reducing gvt deficit is stupid.

The fact that reducing gvt deficit is stupid.

As indicated by Trump's proposals it seems to be the case...

Trump doesn't propose reducing the deficit. Why do you keep saying he is going to reduce the deficit despite the fact his policies would do the exact opposite and massively increase the deficit? I'd like to note that this has been said to you multiple times and yet you repeat this nonsense that his policies would reduce the deficit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

As opposed to the repeated insults of Trump routinely. The fact that reducing gvt deficit is stupid.

Trump wants to cut taxes and increase spending. Where does this idea he will decrease the deficit come from?

20Cent wrote: »
    Trump wants to cut taxes and increase spending. Where does this idea he will decrease the deficit come from?

An overactive imagination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Amerika wrote: »
    Attorney General Eric Schneiderman?

web_clockworkeric_jason_seiler-e1393364015483.jpg?quality=80&w=200

The progressive political opportunist and former Democratic State Senator who has publicly denounced Donald Trump? The AG who has displayed vindictiveness toward political foes and is lenient (or conveniently ignorant) towards the suspect activities of political friends? That guy?

I’m sure he approached Stop And Frisk with an open mind. :rolleyes:

I'm fairly confident he has the capacity to read the stats like everyone else. What do they suggest to you?

20Cent wrote: »

It comes from the notion that the Democrats wont reduce deficits because they are the party of spending. And don't use the George Bush spent like a wild man. Today's America is not the same as pre Bush. Democrats grow gvt. Since the 1980's along with privatization the gvt has also expanded into all areas of American lives. The notion that gvt has been privatizing all aspect of American life is also flatly untrue. Subsidies which are infact illegal in the EU of monopolies is actually encouraged in the US. The level of concentration of wealth is actually partially due to gvt involvement in so much of what a market does.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,974 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

And that helps minorities...how?

Why am I not surprised that Trump's fanboys can't go into detail on his policies...:rolleyes:

It comes from the notion that the Democrats wont reduce deficits because they are the party of spending. And don't use the George Bush spent like a wild man. Today's America is not the same as pre Bush. Democrats grow gvt. Since the 1980's along with privatization the gvt has also expanded into all areas of American lives. The notion that gvt has been privatizing all aspect of American life is also flatly untrue. Subsidies which are infact illegal in the EU of monopolies is actually encouraged in the US. The level of concentration of wealth is actually partially due to gvt involvement in so much of what a market does.

But it has been shown to you repeatedly that Trumps plans cost more.

Trumps plans cost more than the Democrats

Trumps plans cost more than the Democrats.

Trumps plans cost more than the Democrats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Why am I not surprised that Trump's fanboys can't go into detail on his policies...:rolleyes:

But it makes for an amusing thread. Reading these increasingly frustrated posts from people who will never be able to understand the nonsense and drivel put out by the trump supporters.

"Low information voter" is certainly the catch phrase of this election. What's interesting about this demographic is that they feel no shame, they embrace the lack of knowledge and see no value in expanding this outlook at all.

In fairness it's my own fault. Politics is partisan enough at the best of times but this is past ideology and into the realm of religion.

In fairness it's my own fault. Politics is partisan enough at the best of times but this is past ideology and into the realm of religion.

Politics and religion mix often when you look favorably at a politician as a monarch, ruler, emperor, etc. as seems to be the case here for "Noble" Donald Trump

I fail to see how this describes how Trump's policies will help black people in the US.

Christy42 wrote: »
    I fail to see how this describes how Trump's policies will help black people in the US.

I've already mentioned that the Democrats have failed to deliver any benefits to African Americans or indeed many Americans across the country. The elite can slag the lwr classes as much as they like. The more they do the more the extremists will come out. Trump has energized a huge number of people. He won the GOP candidacy and he is up against poor opposition. All I have been saying this entire time is that Trump's notoriety has been greatly exaggerated.

• Advertisement

Politics and religion mix often when you look favorably at a politician as a monarch, ruler, emperor, etc. as seems to be the case here for "Noble" Donald Trump

Reminds me of the this American life podcast I listened to around the beginning of the year. Young gay guy was campaigning for Trump at his local uni. Guy had a tough upbringing, adopted at 15 or 16 and his adoptive parents were Cruz supporters.

The reason he followed Trump so much was because he was always pro SSM. After Trump "came out" as anti SSM they went back to the young lad again, he just swatted it away and excused it. The cult of Trump won out which I found a bit sad tbh.

You forgot to mention Trump's polices would actually help African Americans

Just a reminder that this still hasn't been backed up.

I have gotten a reply saying that past governments have ignored these people which I would not disagree with. That does not back up the above statement however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭oik

Reminds me of the this American life podcast I listened to around the beginning of the year. Young gay guy was campaigning for Trump at his local uni. Guy had a tough upbringing, adopted at 15 or 16 and his adoptive parents were Cruz supporters.

The reason he followed Trump so much was because he was always pro SSM. After Trump "came out" as anti SSM they went back to the young lad again, he just swatted it away and excused it. The cult of Trump won out which I found a bit sad tbh.

Sounds like a smart kid. Everyone and their dog knows that Trump's apparent pivot to "I support traditional marriage" without any concomitant commitment to overturn a Supreme Court decision on the matter was a sign of one thing and one thing only, he wanted to win the Republican nomination but doesn't want to make SSM an issue.

Trump's position: "The Supreme Court has issued an opinion on this. Same-sex marriage is an issue that should have been decided by the states." If ever there was a "it's none of my business" answer...

re: Trump's made in china hat.

That's not a Trump hat, it's a fake. The real ones have a rope across the front and the lettering is smaller.

Depending on what you consider help, NYC's stop and frisk policy reduced crime by about 80%. If similar numbers could be achieved in cities like Chicago and Baltimore then Trump will have done more for blacks than any president since LBJ.

Some people don't like stop and frisk because they think it allows police to unfairly target black people, others like it because it reduces crime and results in less inner city blacks getting shot.

oik wrote: »
    Sounds like a smart kid. Everyone and their dog knows that Trump's apparent pivot to "I support traditional marriage" without any concomitant commitment to overturn a Supreme Court decision on the matter was a sign of one thing and one thing only, he wanted to win the Republican nomination

Trump has stated unequivocally that he will appoint conservative justices to the supreme court that will overturn the same sex marriage decision.

I believe its even in the GOP manifesto published a few months ago too.

• Advertisement

Do you know all those immigrant jobs that "Americans don't want to do any more"? Do you know who used to do those jobs?

Trump has stated unequivocally that he will appoint conservative justices to the supreme court that will overturn the same sex marriage decision.

I believe its even in the GOP manifesto published a few months ago too.

That does not surprise me one bit. He goes on Pat Robertson's Christian network and promises to appoint a judge to make a certain ruling.

The beauty of that promise is that it's a no lose scenario. If gets points for promising and if he doesn't deliver, well the judge is independent of him anyway so what can he do?

Pretty genius stuff.

oik wrote: »
    That does not surprise me one bit. He goes on Pat Robertson's Christian network and promises to appoint a judge to make a certain ruling.

The beauty of that promise is that it's a no lose scenario. If gets points for promising and if he doesn't deliver, well the judge is independent of him anyway so what can he do?

Pretty genius stuff.

"Pretty genius stuff"? Its moronic. He's going to try and pull a fast one on the Senate because he actually doesn't want to appoint conservatives?

What reason would he have to do that? Do you understand how a supreme court nomination works?

The president makes the appointment and the senate confirms the nominee by vote. He has to have the support of the senate.

"Pretty genius stuff"? Its moronic. He's going to try and pull a fast one on the Senate because he actually doesn't want to appoint conservatives?

What reason would he have to do that? Do you understand how a supreme court nomination works?

The president makes the appointment and the senate confirms the nominee by vote. He has to have the support of the senate.

Jesus wept. Apparently I should just spell it out for you.

If Trump nominates a judge, any judge, and that judge doesn't vote to overturn the decision the blame will be placed on the judge, not Trump.

You accused me of lacking comprehension skills but yours aren't very sharp yourself. You should hold off on your accusations in future.

Anyone who thinks Trump is going to waste an ounce of his precious little political capital on anything to do with SSM really has a one dimensional view of politics.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement