Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 U.S. Presidential Race Megathread Mark 2.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Christy42 wrote: »
    Latino's especially. Black voters have a pretty high turnout anyway (the 538 election tools are fun to play around with).

Please, for your own safety… step away from the Clinton controlled media talking heads. Trumps message about the situation African Americans go through seems to be resonating. I guess they live it. I believe Trump is receiving more support from Blacks that any Republicans running for POTUS in modern history.

http://www.wnd.com/2016/08/trumps-black-support-explodes-in-biggest-battleground-state/
    http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/trump-gets-unexpected-announcement-about-blacks-hillary-clinton-is-scared/
    http://articles.philly.com/2016-08-23/news/75113703_1_trump-tower-donald-trump-mar-a-lago
    http://nypost.com/2016/09/18/black-voters-are-turning-from-clinton-to-trump-in-new-poll/

And even though Trump’s support from Latino’s is only reported at about 20% (approximately the same as with Romney) there are some indications support might be on the rise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Amerika wrote: »
    Please, for your own safety… step away from the Clinton controlled media talking heads. Trumps message about the situation African Americans go through seems to be resonating. I guess they live it. I believe Trump is receiving more support from Blacks that any Republicans running for POTUS in modern history.

http://www.wnd.com/2016/08/trumps-black-support-explodes-in-biggest-battleground-state/
    http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/trump-gets-unexpected-announcement-about-blacks-hillary-clinton-is-scared/
    http://articles.philly.com/2016-08-23/news/75113703_1_trump-tower-donald-trump-mar-a-lago
    http://nypost.com/2016/09/18/black-voters-are-turning-from-clinton-to-trump-in-new-poll/

And even though Trump’s support from Latino’s is only reported at about 20% (approximately the same as with Romney) there are some indications support might be on the rise.

Please for your own safety stop crying conspiracy every time someone disagrees with you.

I don't really figure that 538 is a media outlet, for one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Since when is 1% approval among black voters 'resonance'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Billy86 wrote: »

Its gone up :pac:

Hey, nobody said it was critical mass billy. But that 1% are literally buzzing.

Literally.

With a margin of error of 4%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

Says the poster who had a list of "experts" that thought Holt was biased that included Donald Trump. I mean it wasn't even a Trump controlled outlet. It was legitimately a quote from Trump himself you attempted to use to back up that opinion.

You are getting desperate if you are arguing the maths on 538. They have am impressive record. Far better than anyone who has attempted the same thing. They actively try and avoid bias in their work removing bias from polls both ways. Sure I reckon the team has a bit more Democrats that Republicans but if you are trying to recruit a team of good mathematicians then you are going to end up with more democrats.

It wouldn't surprise me that Trump supporters, especially dyed in the wool conservatives, would be taxing themselves very hard to justify to themselves choosing him for president: from blaming media bias, to claiming Hillary used secret microphones, to thinking she gave secret hand signals to Republican Lester Holt to set her up for zingers at the debate, to thinking bankruptcy is a noteworthy form of experience, that 3500 lawsuits were all frivolous, to even reconciling the litany of lies that he has told, literally talking out of both sides of his mouth throughout any given day, 'I never said that thing, that I just said', etc.

Anything to stop Hillary or the Democrats getting into office, even if it means self-brainwashing.

Overheal wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me that Trump supporters, especially dyed in the wool conservatives, would be taxing themselves very hard to justify to themselves choosing him for president: from blaming media bias, to claiming Hillary used secret microphones, to thinking she gave secret hand signals to Republican Lester Holt to set her up for zingers at the debate, to thinking bankruptcy is a noteworthy form of experience, that 3500 lawsuits were all frivolous, to even reconciling the litany of lies that he has told, literally talking out of both sides of his mouth throughout any given day, 'I never said that thing, that I just said', etc.

Anything to stop Hillary or the Democrats getting into office, even if it means self-brainwashing.
    Which makes you wonder if she wins, just how big the Republican meltdown will be. I mean, if you thought 2008 or 2012 were bad...

• Advertisement

Which makes you wonder if she wins, just how big the Republican meltdown will be. I mean, if you thought 2008 or 2012 were bad...

2012 was hilarious.

Shocked when the election went how the polls (and 538!) had predicted.

Stats and reality - the enemy of the right!

Oh, they'll try and bring about impeachment hearings day one, or so its been suggested.

They will probably try and deny SCOTUS appointees for the next 4 years - literally anything to keep the court from going blue for the first time in two generations. At which point Eric Trump will run for president and everyone will vomit in their mouths a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Oh, they'll try and bring about impeachment hearings day one, or so its been suggested.

They will probably try and deny SCOTUS appointees for the next 4 years - literally anything to keep the court from going blue for the first time in two generations. At which point Eric Trump will run for president and everyone will vomit in their mouths a little.

Interesting how the trump kids have disappeared into the background lately. I thought they were instrumental in running his campaign.

Heard one of them doing an interview Tuesday I think.

Said Trump was courageous for not bringing up Bills infidelity in the debate.

Well they'll be instrumental in running his business, in what Donald Trump thinks is a Blind Trust....

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/donald-trump-jr-blind-trust-businesses-228269

You can't make this stuff up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

I came across this image on Reddit and thought it raised a very valid point.

14445938_10154280616781281_4251062204716798628_n.jpg?oh=e67a0ae1dd9185430b83d09aea1dc21c&oe=5862357A

I'd also like to note that Trump stayed up until 5 in the morning to tweet that Alicia Machado had a sex tape (she doesn't). It's starting to become clear that Trump is the most pathetic "human" to ever run for the US Presidency.

• Advertisement

Repost from Scalia thread, re: SCOTUS
    Oh and there's another wrinkle in the GOP's arguments: they had complete control of the court for decades!In fact this is the only period since Whittaker resigned that Republicans have NOT had a majority.

Working backwards from 1991 to the start of the Nixon Administration, the GOP appointed 10 justices to the Supreme Court:

Clarence Thomas (1991)
    David Souter (1990)
    Anthony Kennedy (1988)
    Antonin Scalia (1986)
    Sandra Day O'Connor (1981)
    John Paul Stevens (1975)
    William Rehnquist (1972)
    Lewis F Powell Jr. (1972)
    Harry Blackmun (1970)
    Warren Burger (1969)

And thats even overlooking the fact that Eisenhower appointed 5 justices in the 50s, 4 of whom were still serving throughout some of that timeline. Prior to this, Truman and 4 term president FDR had established a Democratic appointed court. JFK appointed Byron White and Arthur Goldberg both in 1962, and LBJ appointed Abe Fortas (1965) and Thurgood Marshall (1967) the only Democratic appointees between 1949 and 1993.

Which explains a rationale behind why Biden might have been outraged at the prospect of appointing yet another GOP judge to the court in 1992 - a speech by which McConnell and his cronies are now calling "the Biden Rule" because - god forbid, Clinton was able to appoint 2 justices, Obama was able to appoint 2 justices (how dare he! Nixon only got to pick out 4!), and now for the first time since the Space Age, there is no longer a conservative majority on the supreme court, which of course, if you're a Republican, means the sky is literally dripping with flaming blood. And god forbid the Democrats should be able to appoint 5 judges to the court, it would be all out chaos. Satan would literally rise from the earth and start showering gay couples with birth control pills.

So, with that in mind, it should come as no ****ing surprise that they are doing everything they can think of to dodge, duck, dip, dive, dodge, filibuster, dodge, and dodge having to perform a hearing for someone that the filthy Democrats want in the seat! I thought it was interesting anyway, nobody has really mentioned that in the news; the Republicans would rather spit out strong-sounding-yet-flaccid soundbytes how this is the first election year this or that in 130 years bla bla bla without pointing out 'hey, we have enjoyed majority control of the Supreme Court for two or three generations'. But it's not bad when 'they' have the control, it's only catastrophic when 'the liberals' have any control. These Republicans have never even lived in an age where there wasn't a Republican majority in the Supreme Court.

edit: full breakdown of all justices appointed since FDR:

D - Elana Kagan (2010)
    D - Sonia Sotomayor (2009)
    R - Samuel Alito (2006)
    R - John G. Roberts (2005)
    D - Stephen Breyer (1994)
    D - Ruth Bader Ginsberg (1993)
    R - Clarence Thomas (1991)
    R - David Souter (1990)
    R - Anthony Kennedy (1988)
    R - Antonin Scalia (1986)
    R - Sandra Day O'Connor (1981)
    R - John Paul Stevens (1975)
    R - William Rehnquist (1972)
    R - Lewis F Powell Jr (1972)
    R - Harry Blackmun (1970)
    R - Warren E Burger (1969)
    D - Thurgood Marshall (1967)
    D - Abe Fortas (1965)
    D - Arthur Goldberg (1962)
    D - Byron White (1962)
    R - Potter Stewart (1958)
    R - Charles Evans Whittaker (1957)
    R - William J Brennan Jr (1956)
    R - John Marshall Harlan II (1955)
    R - Earl Warren (1953)

https://www.supremecourt.gov/about/members.aspx

cross-checking with this page, I charted the justices based on which party's president appointed them, just so you can physically see why Republicans would elect a horse if it meant they were in office.

398046.PNG

46 years of Supreme Court control, and they don't want to lose it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The tragic thing is that the majority of his base won't be put off in the least by this. How anyone can vote for the pig of a man is beyond me.

The original tweet is in here:

http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-37521619

I'd like to hear from the Trump supporters why he isn't a disgusting human being.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    The tragic thing is that the majority of his base won't be put off in the least by this. How anyone can vote for the pig of a man is beyond me.

The original tweet is in here:

http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-37521619

I'd like to hear from the Trump supporters why he isn't a disgusting human being.

In the 'human being' category, both Trump and Clinton are somewhat disgusting. But when it comes down to policies that will best serve the country, Trump beats out Clinton.

You know what I find ironic? Bill was paid $12 Million for his memoirs, and Hillary $8 Million for her memoirs. So that’s $20 Million for two people who have numerous times testified under oath that they can’t remember anything.

In the 'human being' category, both Trump and Clinton are somewhat disgusting. But when it comes down to policies that will best serve the country, Trump beats out Clinton.
    I would hope someone who is not (yet) on this poster's ignore list will take them to task as to what actual policies they are talking about.

• Advertisement

You know what I find ironic? Bill was paid $12 Million for his memoirs, and Hillary $8 Million for her memoirs. So that’s $20 Million for two people who have numerous times testified under oath that they can’t remember anything.

Oh ho, original. I definitely haven't heard this one hundreds of times on social media. Ahah! Ahaaaa! But seriously, it's beneath you to cry about that and ignore the money shenanigans of Trump and Co.

Which policies, specifically, do you find better for the country?

Oh ho, original. I definitely haven't heard this one hundreds of times on social media. Ahah! Ahaaaa! But seriously, it's beneath you to cry about that and ignore the money shenanigans of Trump and Co.
    Haven't you gotten the memo? You and about a dozen other's job here is to attack Trump in the election cycle in order to score points. I and one or two others attack Hillary. We call that a fair fight 'round these here parts. :p
    Which policies, specifically, do you find better for the country?
    You can answer that yourself by looking back at the numerous times I've addressed it in this thread. ;)

You can answer that yourself by looking back at the numerous times I've addressed it in this thread. ;)

So you support the banning of muslims, the deportation of 11 million undocumented immigrants, bombing the **** out of the middle east, raising the debt another $5T and shaking down our allies while we abandon all our treaties and make idle threats about nuclear winter? Those policies? I'll assume that must be what you mean, if you don't want to answer the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

46 years of Supreme Court control, and they don't want to lose it

We democrats have known for 8 years that this historic opportunity has been approaching. And it seems more like the republicans don't really care.

It's the most last legacy a president can leave and it can effect society for decades to come.

Haven't you gotten the memo? You and about a dozen other's job here is to attack Trump in the election cycle in order to score points. I and one or two others attack Hillary. We call that a fair fight 'round these here parts. :p

Difference is you never have to recycle year-old quips about Trump: there's fresh material every day, sometimes during baker's hours.

Difference is you never have to recycle year-old quips about Trump: there's fresh material every day, sometimes during baker's hours.
    But Hillary's golden oldies are classic. And she keeps coming up with new lyrics to them, almost daily.

I wonder how Snopes would rate this claim?

Posts by Amerika featuring the word 'policy' not just in this forum, but the whole thread - http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=313784&sort=best&date_to=&date_from=&query=policy&forum=1728

This is the best I could find:
    Yes, Donald Trump, for many of us, might not have been our first choice for president, but his tax plan, his positions on immigration, law enforcement, terrorism, jobs and foreign policy address our concerns, and are better than what the other candidate is offering.

To call it threadbare would be very, very polite.

Post debate polls are starting to roll in

New Hampshire

Clinton 42%
    Trump 35%
    Johnson 13%
    our out of five likely voters in New Hampshire said they watched the debate between Clinton and Trump -- 59% of those said that Clinton won, compared to 19% who gave Trump the win. While just over half said that the debate "made no difference" in how they would vote, 27% said the debate made them more likely to vote for Clinton, ahead of the 13% of said it would make them more inclined to vote for Trump.
    The WBUR poll also surveyed voters on whether they thought each candidate was "fit to be president." Forty-nine percent said that Clinton is while 46% said no, and 33% said yes for Donald Trump compared to 62% saying no.
    Both candidates, though, are still disliked by a majority of voters. Fifty-one percent say they have a negative view of Clinton, and 61% say the same about Trump.
    The WBUR poll was conducted between September 27 and 29, and surveyed 502 likely voters. It has a margin of error of +/- 4.4 points.

Florida

Clinton 46%
    Trump 42%
    Johnson 7%
    The Mason-Dixon poll was conducted between September 27 and 29, entirely after the first presidential debate which took place on Monday. It surveyed 820 registered voters, all of whom reported they were likely to vote, and has a margin of error of +/- 3.5 points.

Nevada

Clinton 44%
    Trump 38%
    Johnson 8%
    Fifty-seven percent of likely Nevada voters also thought that Clinton had won Monday’s first presidential debate--reiterating responses from a range of analysts, pundits and polls following their one-on-one debate. The results of this poll suggest a shift -- for now -- in sentiment among Silver Staters toward Clinton. The August Suffolk poll of Nevadans showed her with a slimmer lead of two points.

The Suffolk University fielded the poll from Sept. 27-29 and comes with a +/- 4.4 percent margin of error.

The Five Thirty Eight odds for the election:

Clinton 66.7%
    Trump 33.3%

Polls-Plus Forecast

Clinton 64.5%
    Trump 35.5%

Now-cast (election held today)

Clinton 75.7%
    Trump 24.3%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

Hillary is destroying any trust to US MSM and turning them into laughing stock
    https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/781877290401660928

and reply
    https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/781899060810698752

NYT wrote:
    Fact-checkers have found no evidence that Ms. Machado, who was featured in Playboy, appeared in a sex tape. Her critics may be referring to a risqué scene that she appeared in on a reality television show.

I fail to see how it's Hillary's fault that the media is reporting on what Trump says and does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

Post debate polls are starting to roll in

New Hampshire

Clinton 42%
    Trump 35%
    Johnson 13%

Florida

Clinton 46%
    Trump 42%
    Johnson 7%

Nevada

Clinton 44%
    Trump 38%
    Johnson 8%

The Five Thirty Eight odds for the election:

Clinton 66.7%
    Trump 33.3%

Polls-Plus Forecast

Clinton 64.5%
    Trump 35.5%

Now-cast (election held today)

Clinton 75.7%
    Trump 24.3%

Those polls worked so well before primaries
    https://twitter.com/DanScavino/status/781805496659484673

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

Also why pray tell is Donald Trump discussing a person's sex life? As a follow up to body shaming, he's shaming her sexual life? That's a great characteristic in a presidential candidate.....

https://twitter.com/DanScavino/status/781805496659484673

The polls worked beautifully the last few presidential elections, however. IT will be noted though that yes for midterms and primaries the Nate Silver model seems like it needs massive refinement.

http://fortune.com/2016/03/12/trump-nate-silver/
    http://www.salon.com/2014/11/05/how_did_nate_silvers_forecasts_stack_up_against_midterm_results/

I think there would be far more confidence in the data in a heads up national race however. Far more polling data and sampling to collect from, whereas trying to determine from a single state who will win a primary is subject to a fraction the amount of polling and historical data.

Huh, funny that... the polls (and Trump supporters citing them) for all of 2016 kind of tell a different story to the 'victim' angle on display - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationwide_opinion_polling_for_the_Republican_Party_2016_presidential_primaries

Seems to me the polls pretty much nailed it in the primaries.

EDIT: OH WAIT! You appear to be citing polls from almost a year before the RNC? Well no wonder they were way off if that's the case! :pac:

The more information that comes out the more it looks like Hillary’s email scandal investigation was a FBI coverup of criminal behavior by Hillary, her top aides, and the company that destroyed subpoenaed emails from Clinton’s server.

Since both the FBI and DOJ refuse to do their jobs (or even worse... are corrupt in the matter), I wonder if Congress can take action, or would they need to impeach her for gross misconduct in order for justice to be served?

http://nypost.com/2016/09/28/the-fbis-hillary-email-probe-is-looking-even-more-like-a-coverup/

screen_shot_20160415_at_9.13.53_am.png.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.13.53_am.png

Nothing funny about this tabloid's reporting on Trump ( http://nypost.com/?s=trump ) or Clinton ( http://nypost.com/?s=hillary+clinton ) to see whatsoever. :pac:

Since both the FBI and DOJ refuse to do their jobs (or even worse... are corrupt in the matter), I wonder if Congress can take action, or would they need to impeach her for gross misconduct in order for justice to be served?

Impeachment proceedings would have to prove gross misconduct however. That has proven impossible for congress to date.

Impeachment proceedings would have to prove gross misconduct however. That has proven impossible for congress to date.

But this time, more than any other time in history, it would be absolutely warranted. I’m not a fan of Kaine, but he would be one thousand times more acceptable than Clinton as president.

But this time, more than any other time in history, it would be absolutely warranted. I’m not a fan of Kaine, but he would be one thousand times more acceptable than Clinton as president.

Hot air. They have suspended useful work of congress to investigate her and her actions in a dozen instances, at taxpayer cost, and have pinned nothing to her. A similar impeachment hearing would be a waste of the American people's time and money, and would still end up with her being the POTUS

• Advertisement

The more information that comes out the more it looks like Hillary’s email scandal investigation was a FBI coverup of criminal behavior by Hillary, her top aides, and the company that destroyed subpoenaed emails from Clinton’s server.

http://nypost.com/2016/09/28/the-fbis-hillary-email-probe-is-looking-even-more-like-a-coverup/

Is there actually any new information in that article?

they/them/theirs

I would call it more of an editorial. And therefore no. No actual reporting done.

Hot air. They have suspended useful work of congress to investigate her and her actions in a dozen instances, at taxpayer cost, and have pinned nothing to her. A similar impeachment hearing would be a waste of the American people's time and money, and would still end up with her being the POTUS
    She would first need to become POTUS in order to be impeached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

As long as this dirty and sordid episode stays in the news Trump will be happy.

Hillary is not that far ahead, even with all this **** going on. Not good for her.

She could be bet out the gate in November.

Good odds that she will win, given the rate at which Donald can't keep himself from flying off the handle.

Maybe not spelled out entirely in this article but it has recently been reported that Cheryl Mills, Heather Samuelson, John Bentel, and the computer specialist who deleted Hillary Clinton’s emails despite orders from Congress to preserve them were all given immunity from criminal prosecution. All four of these people should have been charged by the FBI, not given immunity (some of which allegedly lied to FBI agents after they got the immunity deals and still escaped prosecution by the FBI). If that doesn't smell like a coverup, I don't know what would.

• Advertisement

ebbsy wrote: »

Hillary is not that far ahead, even with all this **** going on. Not good for her.

If Trump had the good sense to stay off Twitter, this race would be nearly over.

they/them/theirs

Maybe not spelled out entirely in this article but it has recently been reported that Cheryl Mills, Heather Samuelson, John Bentel, and the computer specialist who deleted Hillary Clinton’s emails despite orders from Congress to preserve them were all given immunity from criminal prosecution. All four of these people should have been charged by the FBI, not given immunity (some of which allegedly lied to FBI agents after they got the immunity deals and still escaped prosecution by the FBI). If that doesn't smell like a coverup, I don't know what would.

So... no.

LawNewz now indicating that Miss U might have a legitimate defamation suit against Trump, for falsely claiming she was in a sex tape.

http://lawnewz.com/uncategorized/fmr-miss-universe-may-have-a-defamation-case-against-trump-for-his-tweetstorm/

LawNewz now indicating that Miss U might have a legitimate defamation suit against Trump, for falsely claiming she was in a sex tape.

http://lawnewz.com/uncategorized/fmr-miss-universe-may-have-a-defamation-case-against-trump-for-his-tweetstorm/

That'll tie in well with the current multiple fraud cases he's under investigation for, the alleged child rape case, and the 3,500 other one he's been through. I'm sure they're all frivolous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

ebbsy wrote: »

If Trump had the good sense to stay off Twitter, this race would be nearly over.

He can't stop himself bud. I think he must be bored.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement