Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 U.S. Presidential Race Megathread Mark 2.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

InTheTrees wrote: »
    The story has been gaining traction all day. I thought it was going to just get swept away with all the rest of the nonsense trump says but it isnt.
    The Trump open mike tapes were so lewd, profane, graphic, and sexist I would not link or transcript them here.

Across the pond Friday there is a groundswell rising about the Trump open mike tapes, especially since it was discovered that Trump was talking about seducing another married woman only a few months after marrying 3rd and current wife Melania Trump in 2005. They were newly weds for heaven sake when he profanely gloats on tape about kissing, groping, and cheating with 2 other women. If this doesn't further drive down his polls with American women, nothing will.

No one who cares about women is buying Trump's locker room talk excuse, and many Republicans that are in close races are making statements that they do not approve of Trump's recorded comments about women, and distancing themselves from Trump, especially Republican Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, who was to appear with Trump at a Wisconsin rally, and has now told Trump not to show.

But... but... Billy Clinton on the golf course... la... la... la... isn't going to cut it with women, because it's like a child on the playground when getting caught red handed doing something naughty saying "Well Johnny Doe did it too," thinking that excuses him. So Trump better drop that line before he completely buries himself in sexist, lewd, and wife cheating horse manure during the most critical 3-weeks of this presidential election cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

His video tape apology didn't help either.
    If he'd left out the attack on Hillary and Bill Clinton it would have had some value.
    Instead the whole video was completely insincere.
    He described the comments as distractions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,343 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

RobertKK wrote: »
    She said she never had a feeling the system is rigged.
    Well her emails showed the DNC tries to rig it for her...

The DNC scandals will have their day. But they won't propel Trump into the White House after this. She would have to be caught on video eating an eating child's heart at a séance. The GOP is already on damage control mode, their ground game for the next three weeks has become saving congressional seats.

She's still not the candidate I would have wanted by any means, but I'm relieved there won't be a President Donald J Trump.

Major donors are already pulling the plug

http://www.redstate.com/joesquire/2016/10/08/donors-pulling-demanding-new-gop-candidate-immediately/

It's done. The Presidential Race is over. The only thing left is down-ballot.

I think I'll have a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

alastair wrote: »
    For Assange, I'd hope so, because this is all incredibly dull and tepid so far.

You have a public policy and you have a private policy.
    She basically said you lie to the public.

How many Trump supporters have backed him on the same idea? Seriously. The man talks out of both sides of his mouth. And the icing on top is "I don't want to reveal my plans. I don't want [my enemies or political rivals] to know what I'm going to do."

Weak.

Overheal wrote: »
    How many Trump supporters have backed him on the same idea? Seriously. The man talks out of both sides of his mouth. And the icing on top is "I don't want to reveal my plans. I don't want [my enemies or political rivals] to know what I'm going to do."

Weak.

Well I have said both are awful candidates and that is unchanged, Hillary said she worked to make sure Wall st continues to prosper.
    She and her family accept millions from Saudi Arabia for their foundation. She give that country legitimacy, she signs off on the largest ever arms deal to that country she said is unstable. While also saying they are responsible for exporting the most extreme ideological positions than any other country in the world.

The Trumps and Clintons are really just two peas in a pod. None of them are fit for the job.

Saudis have financially tied themselves with the US for longer than the Clintons, just look at Bush Sr and Bush Jr.

Saudi Arabia is a whole pile of sh*t all on its own, but one I don't think we would resolve any time soon despite elections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

alastair wrote: »
    No,she doesn't:

Seems a fair enough comment from a millionare.

In fact in my opinion it shows a personal insight that Trump seems to lack.

• Advertisement

People have been OK with Trump doing that for months!

Well I have said both are awful candidates and that is unchanged, Hillary said she worked to make sure Wall st continues to prosper.
    She and her family accept millions from Saudi Arabia for their foundation. She give that country legitimacy, she signs off on the largest ever arms deal to that country she said is unstable. While also saying they are responsible for exporting the most extreme ideological positions than any other country in the world.

The Trumps and Clintons are really just two peas in a pod. None of them are fit for the job.

Well then why you so interested?

Even Hannity can't defend him

https://www.facebook.com/mediaite/posts/10150767497489963

FiveThirtyEight also updated its model a few hours ago which shows Clinton further ahead, still about 4:1 chance of winning the election.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/?ex_cid=rrpromo

Might as well start talking about the General Election. The POTUS race is a coronation now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

His comments look bad on paper, but it's just two guys shooting the breeze. I'd be more worried if they were discussing women's rights or such like.

Shooting the breeze?

About using fame to molest women?

Even Trump can't defend Trump. He's toast.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/322079549812785152

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Has the source, who's locker it's been in, of the tape been revealed?

• Advertisement

Well then why you so interested?

I have an interest in politics, this election is like asking "would you like needles put into your eyes, or dropped off in eastern Aleppo for a holiday"
    Neither are very palatable,

It has been said Obama's approval ratings are at an all time high during his second term right now given the options to replace him are so unpopular.

Shooting the breeze?

About using fame to molest women?

Even Trump can't defend Trump. He's toast.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/322079549812785152

Be nice if he had taken his own advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

aloyisious wrote: »
    Has the source, who's locker it's been in, of the tape been revealed?

It came from the TV company that made the soap opera Trump was appearing on.

Apparently after the revelations about his treatment of women on the Apprentice they dug up this tape.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Saudis have financially tied themselves with the US for longer than the Clintons, just look at Bush Sr and Bush Jr.

Saudi Arabia is a whole pile of sh*t all on its own, but one I don't think we would resolve any time soon despite elections.

Yes and the Clintons and Bush families are very close going on photos of them together.

It was nice of congress to vote for the truth about Saudi Arabia, shame the US does so much wrong abroad with its military that they need to make it go away because they too will be sued for crimes.

K-9 wrote: »
    It came from the TV company that made the soap opera Trump was appearing on.

Apparently after the revelations about his treatment of women on the Apprentice they dug up this tape.

The guy that Trump is chatting with is Bill Bush, a nephew of one president and first cousin of another president of that name!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

People have been OK with Trump doing that for months!

Exactly, How many times have we seen some Trump supporter dismiss one of the appalling things that he says as electioneering, that wouldl not reflect on how he would act as president.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The Saudi regime is not stable and will look to get nuclear weapons.
    https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/784572142444740615

Israel is working with Jordan to shore up King Abdullah.
    https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/784574732431687680

Hillary's emails are going to be a problem as I am sure the worst will be saved till last.

They'd want to hurry up. Early voting is already underway.

The guy that Trump is chatting with is Bill Bush, a nephew of one president and first cousin of another president of that name!

The same persons who've, from within the Republican Party Family hierarchy, been opposed vocally in public to Don....... I see the senior house Republican who reluctantly backed Don after much foot-dragging is now telling Don to stay away from his state event. :)

Edit (again) , I don't believe it coincidental that the tape popped up now, given the Bush connection with it.

The same persons who've, from within the Republican Party Family hierarchy, been opposed vocally in public to Don....... I see the senior house Republican who reluctantly backed Don after much foot-dragging is now telling Don to stay away from his state event. :)

Edit, do you believe it coincidental that the tape popped up now?

That's politics.

And remember Trump basically said those claims from those on the Apprentice was lies. This tape shows that they were right.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

And remember Trump basically said those claims from those on the Apprentice was lies. This tape shows that they were right.

Are you telling me he is a dirty bastard and a liar? I am in shock I tell you the shock is such shock, I'm so shocked it's the best shock ever.

I should start a fortune telling service!

Seriously though, I made this point several times a few months back. Yep, we'd get Wikileaks etc. about Hillary but the Democrats would dig up plenty of stuff about Trump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I should start a fortune telling service!

Seriously though, I made this point several times a few months back. Yep, we'd get Wikileaks etc. about Hillary but the Democrats would dig up plenty of stuff about Trump.

They've had this for a while too.

Timing is vicious. 2 days before second debate.

The next month is going to be a massive republican car crash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

A glorious car crash.

Be fun to see how much of the party Trump can bring down with him before he disappears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,373 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I only briefly watched Fox News this morning and the presenter Tucker carlson was in full defense mode. He asked a democratic penalist was it okay for all the media to against one candidate.

The panel member said something to the effect of trump is a treat to national security and he cut her off and said "okay, okay, okay you're not a trump fan."

• Advertisement

TheDoctor wrote: »
    A glorious car crash.

Be fun to see how much of the party Trump can bring down with him before he disappears.

Both candidates are bad for their respective parties.
    Hillary only got to where she is based on her name. She has not done anything that says she is competent, all that seems to follow her is disaster.
    Trump got to where he is based on a tv show and his business.
    It is an indictment of US politics that both parties managed to pick the worst candidates available.
    It is a mess whoever wins and anyone who ends up feeling triumphant when the results come out in the early hours of the 9th November are seriously deluded.
    Both of the main candidates seem to take sexual offenses as being wrong and horrific if someone else who is not associated with them does it.
    Disgusting people the lot of them.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I only briefly watched Fox News this morning and the presenter Tucker carlson was in full defense mode. He asked a democratic penalist was it okay for all the media to against one candidate.

The panel member said something to the effect of trump is a treat to national security and he cut her off and said "okay, okay, okay you're not a trump fan."

Yet Hillary knew and lied it seems going by the Wikileaks release of Clinton emails, when it came to the use of phones in the state department, so she blatantly made herself a threat to national security.
    One should take both parties with a pinch of salt.

Yet Hillary knew and lied it seems going by the Wikileaks release of Clinton emails, when it came to the use of phones in the state department, so she blatantly made herself a threat to national security.
    One should take both parties with a pinch of salt.
    Robert I'm just telling people what I saw this morning from Fox News.

I agree this is by far the worst choice of candidates I can remember.Hilary Clinton to me just comes off as cold and not likeable but Donald trump it's seems has decided to be himself and it has been a disaster from start to finish.

How he got this far still baffles Me. By him winning the nomination the GOP voters said he was the best candidate they had and that's damning of the GOP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Who should they have picked instead?

Cruz is very unlikable.
    Bush was so boring and bland.
    Carson same.
    Kasich I don't even remember what he did bar stick around.
    Rubio was easily bullied by Trump all through the primaries

Robert I'm just telling people what I saw this morning from Fox News.

I agree this is by far the worst choice of candidates I can remember.Hilary Clinton to me just comes off as cold and not likeable but Donald trump it's seems has decided to be himself and it has been a disaster from start to finish.

How he got this far still baffles Me. By him winning the nomination the GOP voters said he was the best candidate they had and that's damning of the GOP.

I know, it is just the hypocrisy of the people, not you.

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Who should they have picked instead?

Cruz is very unlikable.
    Bush was so boring and bland.
    Carson same.
    Kasich I don't even remember what he did bar stick around.
    Rubio was easily bullied by Trump all through the primaries

Kasich would have been the safe option.
    Democrats wanted Clinton, she was the ordained one.

The podesta emails show Bill Clinton received $1 million from a Canadian bank and major investor in the Keystone pipeline while the state department under Hillary Clinton was discussing the Keystone pipeline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Clinton would have lost to any of them.

But the party got stuck under it's own rules for picking the candidate, like labour under Corbyn in the UK.

Read a good article recently on republican direction since Obama. They were basically making their stated aim 'stop Obama getting second term' and 'stop him actually doing anything through senate'. They were never grooming a candidate for this election.

Big mistake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

What's the ole cliché, when it rains it pours?

3 October 2016 many Celebrity Apprentice cast and crew claim that show host Donald Trump was "lewd and sexist" per AP interviews and news release.

4 October 2016 Case 1:16-cv-07673-RA: US District Court Judge Ronnie Abrams of the Southern District of New York orders plaintiff and defendants Donald Trump and Jeffery Epstein in an (alleged) teenage female rape case to appear 16 December 2016 to decide if the case will be settled or tried in federal court.

7 October 2016 the lewd, profane, graphic, and sexist open mike tape of newly wed Donald Trump talking about kissing, groping, seducing, and wanting to cheat with 2 women, one of whom was married, was released.

• Advertisement

Has US big industry, and others with interests in S/America, said anything about Don's "American Jobs for American Workers" plan seeing as how it'd affect their profits? Have AFL-CIO and other union bodies backed Don in promoting his plan or do both see the "plan" as hogwash, only electioneering by Don?

It might be interesting to see who turns up in St Louis tomorrow evening for the debate.

It might be interesting to see who turns up in St Louis tomorrow evening for the debate.
    Highest Republican office holder Speaker of the House Paul Ryan? No, this Celebrity Apprentice President show still has a few episodes left before it ends its first season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

Kasich would have been the safe option.
    Democrats wanted Clinton, she was the ordained one.

Rubio would even have been safe. At least neither could humiliate their nation entirely.

Trump couldn't keep his mouth shut about Bill at the end of the last debate, telegraphed what he was going to do.

So with the Apprentice revelations and this tape, he can't open his mouth about Bill. He probably still will, he's that stupid and easily provoked.

• Advertisement

Trump couldn't keep his mouth shut about Bill at the end of the last debate, telegraphed what he was going to do.

So with the Apprentice revelations and this tape, he can't open his mouth about Bill. He probably still will, he's that stupid and easily provoked.

Did you watch the apology video? If not...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/10/08/trump-apologizes-for-lewd-remarks-in-video-statement-amid-gop-uproar.html

'“I’ve said some foolish things, but there is a big difference between words and actions,” Trump said. “Bill Clinton has actually abused women and Hillary has bullied, attacked, shamed and intimidated his victims. We will discuss this more in the coming days.”'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

His only tweet in the last 10 hours. My guess is his team have physically confiscated his access to the internet in that time - no, I'm not joking when I say that. As in physically confiscated, like you would a child's playstation etc if they've been misbehaving too much.

I also reckon that tweet could well have been from his team and not him while the confiscation continues... can anyone tell if it came from iPhone or Android?

Mike Pence is not happy and said he cannot condone or defend what trump said.

There are calls from some Republicans for Trump to withdraw and for Pence to be the candidate.
    Would love that to happen, but it won't.

It was sad in the early hours of this mrning seeing some women on CNN defending Trump, one woman argued with Scotty Lee or whatever her name is, as she was defending Trump, another woman was arguing with her and said 'grab her pussy', and Scotty said to her 'please don't say that, my children might hear it'.
    Then the question is why defend Trump if what he said is not suitable for your children to hear?
    Even Fox news said it might be better for children to watch a delayed broadcast of the debate.
    Meanwhile Nigel Farage was on claiming there was worse said about him in the media than the current Trump tape disgrace.

You're underplaying that CNN exchange. It was Fire

http://www.mediaite.com/online/don-lemon-panel-implodes-during-trump-tape-segment-stop-saying-pussy-on-air/

Facial expressions throughout are priceless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

You're underplaying that CNN exchange. It was Fire

http://www.mediaite.com/online/don-lemon-panel-implodes-during-trump-tape-segment-stop-saying-pussy-on-air/

Facial expressions throughout are priceless

Latino woman absolutely proving the exact thing I and others have been saying for months. All you have to do to annoy Trump fans and get them claiming it's all so unfair on Donald, is to repeat, verbatim, what he has said.

The only remaining reasons for Trump as sexism, racism, Islamophobia, bigotry... or a religious fundamentalist devotion to the letter 'R'. There's a reason we've hardly heard a peep from the blue collar rust-belters (the one demographic who had a justified reason -desperation- for supporting him).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement