Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 U.S. Presidential Race Megathread Mark 2.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

That's pure conjecture. He said he'd be dating her when she's 20 i.e. when she's a grown woman, nothing dirty or sinister about that, unless you think people should only date others the same as themselves. Didn't mention anything about her looks, unless you have another video none of us have seen. Girl could have been overweight and he would still have made the same comment.

Surely that last sentence of your's is conjecture? His comment to her about dating her was made while looking at her during her pre-teenage years, which isn't a matter of conjecture. While he possibly might imagine, in his mind, that he was offering the girl a form of compliment when he passed the comment, it's possible that she might have thought "eugh, you dirty old man" in her mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Peist2007 wrote: »
    "We came, we saw, he died" was said by one person in this election race. Gloating over one of the biggest foreign policy fk-ups ever shows just how incompetent your beloved is.

The dictator is still dead, last I heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

aloyisious wrote: »
    Surely that last sentence of your's is conjecture? His comment to her about dating her was made while looking at her during her pre-teenage years, which isn't a matter of conjecture. While he possibly might imagine, in his mind, that he was offering the girl a form of compliment when he passed the comment, it's possible that she might have thought "eugh, you dirty old man" in her mind.

Conjecture is allowed if it is pro Trump. Though I am sure Trump was simply attracted to the little girl's personality. People will go to any lengths to defend this sicko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Has Trump made "supporting women" a tenet of his campaign? As far as i can see only one candidate is milking the gender card in this election. The same candidate who accepts huge amounts of money from the same regimes you speak of. [attacking the poster].

Are we moving the goalposts again?

The point being made is Trump has no authority to bunk Clinton for anything to do with ties to the Saudi's or supporting women, when he himself has shot himself in the foot with his support of women, so much so that his twitter followers want to repeal the 19th amendment (when do they plan on doing this?) in order to give him a shot at winning, after an analysis showed that he would win the election if women could not vote. That is how poorly he is doing with women. Thus, if he wants to win this election, and you're saying that supporting women is not a feature of his campaign, he may as well go home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

You think you have latched onto something and it really is a waste of time on your part. I responded to your comments a number of posts ago and you have since stuck your fingers in your ears and refused to listen.
    Not at all - just pointing out that what you were pontificating about has already happened, despite all your efforts to shift the goalposts.
    "We came, we saw, he died" was said by one person in this election race. Gloating over one of the biggest foreign policy fk-ups ever shows just how incompetent your beloved is.
    That's doesn't have a single thing to do with the following statement though, does it?
    Imagine if a tape comes out where Trump is supportive of taking out Gaddafi and letting the moderate rebels in to replace him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

A bit of light relief Paul Ryan is giving a speech now and he actually said about poverty relief that "we (GOP)don't doesn't measure our success in getting people out of poverty on "results" but on what we do" WTF :) yeah like no one measures success on results.

The GOP are a joke party....

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 11,974 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Let's remind ourselves, what's the party of the guy who said, "Feelings are just as valid as facts"?

I'll give you guys a clue - it's the same party which endorses conversion therapy and teaching the Bible as fact in public schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Christy42 wrote: »
    Conjecture is allowed if it is pro Trump. Though I am sure Trump was simply attracted to the little girl's personality. People will go to any lengths to defend this sicko.

The only thing that can possibly be pro-trump is conjecture.

He has no record st anything in politics bar picking fights m.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    There's a certain amount of mask-slipping going on with all this talk of alpha males. Which is all the more amusing, considering the man who coined the term (in the context of wolf packs) has utterly repudiated it.

Just out of curiosity, I looked up the usage of the term and found out about L. David Mech's work and his repudiation of the term, which anyone reading this thread can watch below:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Peist2007 banned for 3 months for an unquotable amount of way below standard posts.

Cards also given out to posters who should know better than entertaining him.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,373 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The last two nights I've listened to Donald trump seems to have turned to it's all a set up and the whole election is rigged. To me that sounds like he's getting the excuse ready before the election.

Trump has just encouraged his fans to find his accuser's Facebook page.

Stay classy, "alpha male". :rolleyes: There's no way this could end in a torrent of abuse. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

There's a press conference going on right now with one of trumps accusers. She's recounting the story of trumps attempt to assault her.

Its worth noting that she's being represented by Gloria Allred. A feared lawyer. She's represented women in many high profile assault cases. The boll Cosby accusers for instance . she doesn't take frivolous cases.

This must be the final nail in the coffin for trumps presidential campaign.

I think it's important that he gets completely hammered at this stage though.

He shouldn't have a future in mainstream politics.

I mean as it looks likely that trump will lose. Where does the GOP go from here ? I mean I know some of them have disendorsed him recently but will voters forget that they rode the losing horse nearly to the finish line ?

Ana Avarro went on the Daily Show to nuke Trump

http://www.businessinsider.com/ana-navarro-on-daily-show-donald-trump-zika-mosquito-2016-10

She's a GOP strategist that stole my heart last week when she ripped the head off a Trump surrogate on live television.

http://mediamatters.org/video/2016/10/08/trump-apologist-told-ana-navarro-not-say-pussy-cnn-it-didnt-go-well-her/213644

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Overheal wrote: »
    Ana Avarro went on the Daily Show to nuke Trump

http://www.businessinsider.com/ana-navarro-on-daily-show-donald-trump-zika-mosquito-2016-10

She's a GOP strategist that stole my heart last week when she ripped the head off a Trump surrogate on live television.

http://mediamatters.org/video/2016/10/08/trump-apologist-told-ana-navarro-not-say-pussy-cnn-it-didnt-go-well-her/213644

Yeah, loved her both on that CNN segment and on the Daily Show. A Republican I can really warm to!

The first link isn't available in my area apparently. That Scottie Hughes should get an award for staying on message.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The first link isn't available in my area apparently. That Scottie Hughes should get an award for staying on message.

She collects the paycheque.

She collects the paycheque.

Well trump must be paying her well because God love Her she is like a QB facing an all out blitz with no O-line every time and she will just keep scrambling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,512 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Anythings possible obviously but the polls suggest it's highly unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Probably the quote of the year nearly ending from Don: persons working for the New York Times are not journalists, they're lobbyists for Carlos Slim and Hillary Clinton. On RTE TV news a clip of the latest from him popped up with that. Ah, he's blaming the Mexicans again, a major stockholder of the NY Times is a Mexican Billionaire and is responsible for what's happening.

Seems every girl he hit on in a clubs back in the day are coming out of woodwork to label it sexual assault.
    His interactions with women in the past are being magnified to greater things . A women in a club was hit on, geez I'm in shock.

She's up in Ohio, Virginia, Florida, and North Carolina

It's possible, but so are aliens.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Anythings possible obviously but the polls suggest it's highly unlikely.

Polls suggest that it's possible. Needs to win those toss up states and Florida is a must and it's very tight there. I see no path if Florida is lost .
    Trump can't afford to lose those states that historically vote republican , but he is close to losing some, that's how much damage has been done.

It's hard to see him winning North Carolina, given everything going on in the state this year. I think it will be blue. Virginia is a toss up and so is Ohio.

As for Florida it really depends. Floridians have not forgotten 2000, and Trump makes George W Bush look like Ronald Reagan. And that vote came down to a few hundred votes in a country whose ballots had misleading hanging chads which has already been the subject of a decade of begrudgery so let's not get into the details. Sufficient however to say that my hunch would be that the state goes blue from a strong showing of liberal demographics; Republican Governor Rick Scott has not been a great mascot for the GOP recently and that will go a long way to not helping.

Yea Virginia is a mistake. Trump won't win there.
    http://www.270towin.com/maps/DRr83

This is more likely , but still tough .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Seems every girl he hit on in a clubs back in the day are coming out of woodwork to label it sexual assault.
    His interactions with women in the past are being magnified to greater things . A women in a club was hit on, geez I'm in shock.

Do you consider grabbing a woman by the pussy to be 'hitting on them'?

If I grab you buy your boy pussy tonight am I hitting on you?

If not why do you defend Donald Trump boasting about molesting women?

• Advertisement

Well, about that, it appears the Trump camp is withdrawing resources from Virgina.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/13/politics/donald-trump-campaign-virginia/index.html

Can we please not go back to this, It's tea time.

A women in a club was hit on, geez I'm in shock.

It's bizarre how these stories are downplayed.

She claims he sat beside her, put his hand up her skirt and touched her genitals with no preamble.

If that's what you consider "hitting on" a woman in a club... I dunno.

That's a hell of a thing to be able to do, to get that far before someone would notice. I think he probably touched her leg above her knee and she moved away. It's magnified now to suggest he did much more. I don't get how the initial touching was not noticed that he managed to go so far. Again it happened in public but no witnesses .
    I believe he hit on her, put hand on her leg. Guys that are full of themselves tend to do that. It's not right but it's far from the magnified story we are hearing.

She claims he sat beside her, put his hand up her skirt and touched her genitals with no preamble.

Did she say that? I'm not sure of exact words she used.
    I do believe he probably hit on her, touched her leg so on, but I believe also the stories are being magnified x 20 /

I think he probably touched her leg above her knee and she moved away.

Oh, you think that's what probably happened, do you?

I guess that's the end of the matter. Some dude on the Internet has mansplained to a woman that she misunderstood what was happening when she thought some misogynistic asshole grabbed her by the pussy. Lucky her. Imagine if she had been allowed to go on thinking her own thoughts?

• Advertisement

Trump: "Why aren't the press saying about Obama what they're saying about me"

He's an impulsive reactionary goon.

But he can't take responsibility for any of his actions.

I'm all of this there hasn't been a single moment of self doubt or genuine apology from Trump.

I actually think he probably thinks he's done nothing wrong.

Yea Virginia is a mistake. Trump won't win there.
    http://www.270towin.com/maps/DRr83

This is more likely , but still tough .

Well for funsies, here's the poll closing schedule

https://ballotpedia.org/State_Poll_Opening_and_Closing_Times_(2016)

the night will be wrapped up by 8PM on the East Coast, unless in the swing states the outcome is super tight and they don't announce until later, but most districts exit polling will be pretty responsive. After the East Coast, everything else in the models are effectively locked in, even if AZ flips or sticks, or Utah goes to McMullin.

Data suggests she will win Nevada. If she wins Nevada, Trump could win literally every other Swing State besides Virgina - win Iowa, Florida, Ohio, North Carolina, Arizona - and she would still win, with 270 Electoral votes.

http://www.270towin.com/maps/kxrZn

Plus if McMullin wins Utah, Trump is definitely out :)

If the race is tight in Nevada for whatever reason, it will be an all nighter in that nightmare scenario.

edit: 538 model currently shows this as the best-case for Clinton, http://www.270towin.com/maps/P84bk and the next likely event, just has her losing Arizona. I won't be surprised if the model doesn't pick AZ right on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

I do believe he probably hit on her, touched her leg so on, but I believe also the stories are being magnified x 20 /

Through her underwear. So downplaying as a thing that happens in club is a bit disingenuous.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/woman-says-trump-reached-under-her-skirt-and-groped-her-in-early-1990s/2016/10/14/67e8ff5e-917d-11e6-a6a3-d50061aa9fae_story.html

Hilarious that now Trump is in the back foot standards and proof suddenly become important

Who founded Isis again?
    Barack Obsma was born where?
    Who's dad was involved in the JFK assassination?

Get oit of here with your standards. You drag this thing into the gutter and complain about the dirt when you're there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

gosplan wrote: »
    Hilarious that now Trump is in the back foot standards and proof suddenly become important

Who founded Isis again?
    Barack Obsma was born where?
    Who's dad was involved in the JFK assassination?

Get oit of here with your standards. You drag this thing into the gutter and complain about the dirt when you're there.

Also when was ISIS founded?

• Advertisement

This recount of sexual assault seems pretty damning

http://www.mediaite.com/online/when-i-arrived-he-kissed-me-on-the-lips-new-trump-accuser-gives-press-conference/

tried to contact him earlier this year, so theres a paper trail. And her previous employment.

Even after Trump loses this thing the court cases will be a spectacle.

Can we please not go back to this, It's tea time.

Sorry but right here its sundown for democracy so you'll have to forgive me for being a bit antsy.

You might 'dunno'...

But I do. That is as close to prima facie example of sexual assault and possibly rape as one can come across. Lets not indulge rape and molestation apologists for the sake of 'debate'.

That's a hell of a thing to be able to do, to get that far before someone would notice. I think he probably touched her leg above her knee and she moved away. It's magnified now to suggest he did much more. I don't get how the initial touching was not noticed that he managed to go so far. Again it happened in public but no witnesses .
    I believe he hit on her, put hand on her leg. Guys that are full of themselves tend to do that. It's not right but it's far from the magnified story we are hearing.

Putting your hand on a woman who doesn't want you to is molestation and is an assault. You can blithely dismiss it all you wish but try that line of argument in a court and you'll find out quickly enough that you are wrong.

Answer the question I asked though. If I grab your sweet boy pussy in a club am I hitting on you?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

That's a very, very unlikely result based on the current polling numbers. What leads you to believe this may happen, aside from wishful thinking?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Looking at the polls , it's looking more and more grim

RCPPOLL.jpg

There is no pathway back for him..

At best he can stop the bleeding , but I see no way for him to recover....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    There is no pathway back for him..

At best he can stop the bleeding , but I see no way for him to recover....
    Well I guess this explains why he was courting the NRA wingnuts earlier in the campaign; that's his plan B to catch up. For those who don't remember:
    If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks,” Mr. Trump said, as the crowd began to boo. He quickly added: “Although the Second Amendment people — maybe there is, I don’t know.”

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Probably , but it really doesn't matter at this stage , Trump will continue to dig even bigger holes for himself with women and moderate voters..

I mean look at his response to the accusation from the People Magazine reporter that he forced her up against a wall and kissed her..

His response was not "I didn't do that , I'm not that kind of person" or whatever...

No - His response was "Look at her, I mean Really? , I don't think so"

So , his defence is "She's not my type/ not pretty enough" ??

And that's supposed to get people to vote for him... Jesus...

And again his defence when presented with a claim of sexual assault is
    Trump then claimed the controversy was “a total setup” consisting of “lies spread by the media” as a way to undermine his campaign. He went so far as to mock his accusers, making fun of one who told the Times he groped her on an airplane in the early 1980s.

“The only way they can figure they can slow it down is to come up with people that are willing to say ‘Oh I was with Donald Trump in 1980,’” he said, putting on a voice mocking his accusers. “'I was sitting with him on an airplane and he went after me on the plane.’ Yeah, I'm gonna go after you…”

“Believe me,” he added. “She would not be my first choice, I can tell you.”

From Foxnews article

His other defence is that it's those damn Mexicans again , out to get him..
    On Friday, Trump went after the NY Times again, suggesting the reporters were acting at the behest of Slim, the largest shareholder in the Times.

“Now, Carlos Slim, as you know, comes from Mexico. He’s given many millions of dollars to the Clintons and their initiatives,” Trump said. “Reporters at The New York Times, they’re not journalists. They’re corporate lobbyists for Carlos Slim and for Hillary Clinton.”

I don't know why I listen to so many people who are deathly afraid that Obama and Hillary are going to take away their guns when we can't even close a loophole about buying guns at gun shows

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

It appears that the New York times is daring Donald Trump to sue them, expecting him to lose big time in court if he does. If Trump sues, the Times could counter-sue for legal expenses, and perhaps punitive damages for attempting to discredit the Times reputation. NYT Vice President and Assistant General Counsel David McCraw on 13 October 2016 sent a letter essentially saying this to Donald Trump’s legal team in response to a retraction request about Times’s article "Two Women Say Donald Trump Touched Them Inappropriately."

If Trump files a case against NYT, under discovery the Times legal team could request that all past videos, transcripts, and related records going back decades be released when preparing their defense, including a discovery filing for all 11 seasons of when Donald Trump hosted Celebrity Apprentice, both on air and hot mic behind scenes, where it's been claimed by former Celebrity Apprentice producer Bill Pruitt that there were more lewd hot mic recordings that were worse than last Friday's Trump groping tape. Methinks that Trump is just being Trump, blustering about suing, but will not want a legal discovery of his archives revealed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement