Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 U.S. Presidential Race Megathread Mark 2.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Brian? wrote: »
    GW Bush was over 6ft? He always looked like a wee fella on television.
    He looks smaller than Michelle Obama in this photo. High heels could account for that, but she's a tall lady if GW is 6 foot.

bush-dancing-in-dallas-via-youtube_784339.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

She will, if elected, be the first president for a long time to be less than 6 ft tall. Edit: GW Bush was 5 ft 11.5 inches (but you get the point).[/QUOTE

"Little" women power breaking the glass ceiling, in line with her Crystal ceiling comment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,357 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It's been revealed that Trump's campaign spent half a million dollars in September on legal fees :rolleyes:

http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/trump-campaign-spent-half-a-million-dollars-on-lawyers-last-month/

I guess threatening to sue the pants off everyone isn't a great way to succeed.

Overheal wrote: »
    It's been revealed that Trump's campaign spent half a million dollars in September on legal fees :rolleyes:

http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/trump-campaign-spent-half-a-million-dollars-on-lawyers-last-month/

I guess threatening to sue the pants off everyone isn't a great way to succeed.

Paying the lawyers was one thing I wondered about. Do they, as contractors, ask for payment up front each month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,357 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

aloyisious wrote: »
    Paying the lawyers was one thing I wondered about. Do they, as contractors, ask for payment up front each month?

They as lawyers make the client sign a contract up front and usually pay a lot up front, and are generally very good about getting their contracts upheld.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I'm sure they get a retainer, they above all must know how unreliable he is at paying his bills.
    Although stiffing your lawyers is probably the last thing you'd want to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Could be wrong, but I think Trump has actually been taken to court for non-payment by lawyers who had defended him in non-payment cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Fair point made by you and sofa spud. I should have used the word elected as needed between "sitting and Democrat" in my Ist Democratic Presidential nominee to succeed a sitting Democrat quote as Barak is in his second directly-elected-to-job term. Harry, as V/P, took over the presidency in line with constitutional rules when FDR died in office. Harry was NOT elected to his first term as president.

Yeah there are semantics around the stat, but you could argue that Trumans first term wasn't his at all, it was FDRs. Truman was then elected in 48 after serving out the remainder (vast majority) of FDRs 4th term.

Either way, they were in the White House for 20 years on the spin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Nearly spewed coffee on screen when Don said, "that was good" after he patted Hillary twice while passing her, and the Cardinal looking on. There were some biting comments from both sides, as the audience reaction showed. The Rudy gag was good.

Yep, poor Rudy couldn't even pretend to smile or laught at it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,376 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I've gone down a us presidential black hole on youtube and George HW Bush to his credit seems to not bash the current president. My point is that he may disagree with him on issues and policies but he's respectful as I'm sure he knows the gig isn't easy.

That's why trump and his reluctance to say that he was accept the result is a bit jarring to many.

• Advertisement

Could be wrong, but I think Trump has actually been taken to court for non-payment by lawyers who had defended him in non-payment cases

Just lol, like, who had he representing him then? surely not a self-defence :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Yeah, I know it's a campaign ad and obviously is going to show Hillary Clinton in the best possible light, but if she's only pretending to care about people and is actually an evil heartless monster, then she's been pulling the longest con in history:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    If the GOP continue with this "block everything, just because the Democrats suggested it" approach I can't see how that enables them to expand their base in the mid-terms or the next Presidential election.
    It's the congressional "Party of No position," where they block bipartisan legislation, then point the finger at the current presidential administration blaming them, and the foolish voter believes the congressional finger pointers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Amerika wrote: »
    Yesterday was the annual The Al Smith Dinner, and very four years has become a tradition for the two presidential candidates to light-heartedly roast each other. It s a white-tie fundraiser for Catholic charities supporting needy children which is held at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, and hosted by the archbishop of New York. This year sure didn t disappoint.

Only thing I can say about this, is that we will miss Obamas speeches, say what you want about him but he has charisma and can work a crowd.
    This was just pure bitterness, a little more by Trump but pretty hard to watch them both.
    I did enjoy his carpenter joke though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Black Swan wrote: »
    It's the congressional "Party of No position," where they block bipartisan legislation, then point the finger at the current presidential administration blaming them, and the foolish voter believes the congressional finger pointers.

Methinks you need to get out of those muddle ages of Congress. But hey, I get it. It makes great sound bites blaming Republicans for everything under the sun. Since the Republicans have taken over there has been a much greater level of bipartisan support in order to get things done Too much, in my opinion. I’ve often complained here that since Republicans took over they’ve lost their spine, gone back on their promises they made to get them elected, and pretty much have given President Obama everything he wanted with his legislative agenda. But sure, you can pick a few things that Reps and Dems couldn’t agree on… and never will. Things like repealing the failing ObamaCare, gun control, and comprehensive immigration reform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

What bipartisan legislation has been passed since the Republicans took control of both houses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Neither of them were particularly funny tbh. Donald started out well, but got too political and Hillary, well funny and Hillary don't really go together.

At least those present got a nice meal to help digest it.

I thought both were quite funny. I cracked up at Trumps quip referring to his wife's speech as well as Hillary's 'statue of liberty' jibe.
    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I've gone down a us presidential black hole on youtube and George HW Bush to his credit seems to not bash the current...

The way I often heard Bush put it is that he doesn't comment on current political affairs in any respect as he's retired. He seems like a rather likeable character in his retirement. Never though I'd hear myself say that.
    She will, if elected, be the first president for a long time to be less than 6 ft tall. Edit: GW Bush was 5 ft 11.5 inches (but you get the point).

She will also , if elected, have the biggest bust of any previous American president thus far. But not by much.

What bipartisan legislation has been passed since the Republicans took control of both houses?

Some of the accomplishments Congress achieved since gaining the majority in the Senate in 2014 and control of Congress...

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/30/461388614/8-things-congress-actually-did-this-year
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/in-case-you-missed-it-congress-passed-some-big-bills-in-2015/

• Advertisement

Only thing I can say about this, is that we will miss Obamas speeches, say what you want about him but he has charisma and can work a crowd.
    This was just pure bitterness, a little more by Trump but pretty hard to watch them both.
    I never liked Obama's speeches. Sure he has charisma, but the lies, deceit, and division within them overshadowed everything else. And I like trumps line about Melania using Michelle speech the best, and the one with something about Hillary's campaign staff being there... ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, the New York Times, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

It makes great sound bites blaming Republicans for everything under the sun. Since the Republicans have taken over there has been a much greater level of bipartisan support in order to get things done

There's a reason for that. The obvious one.
    Congressional bipartisanship is more likely when Republicans control Congress than when Democrats control Congress because Democrats are more willing to vote for Republican proposals than Republicans are willing to vote for Democratic ones.

http://viewpoints.blog.statesman.com/2016/01/06/whos-more-bipartisan-in-congress-democrats-or-republicans/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭blackcard

Looking at the latest Realclearpolitics polls, they show Trump 1 ahead in a IBD/TIPP poll, 2 ahead in a Rasmussen poll and1 ahead in a LA Times/USC poll. Everyone is talking about this being a done deal. Maybe the furore over the Trump women will have blown over a bit? More Wikileaks relevations? Shy Trump supporters? Hopefully not, but there is still a bit to go in this election.

blackcard wrote: »
    Looking at the latest Realclearpolitics polls, they show Trump 1 ahead in a IBD/TIPP poll, 2 ahead in a Rasmussen poll and1 ahead in a LA Times/USC poll. Everyone is talking about this being a done deal. Maybe the furore over the Trump women will have blown over a bit? More Wikileaks relevations? Shy Trump supporters? Hopefully not, but there is still a bit to go in this election.

There really isn't. The only head scratcher is what margin Hillary will win by. Trump may indeed get a respectable vote, but it definitely won't be a winning vote.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Is that bill the one she mentioned in her speech that she regretted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

I never liked Obama's speeches. Sure he has charisma, but the lies, deceit, and division within them overshadowed everything else.

Ah here now. You disliked the lies and division in Obama's speeches but support Trump? I am calling that one out. Trump has shown a complete unwillingness to compromise. Has insulted ane and every minority (plus women who I guess would be a slight majority) as well as lying more than any other presidential candidate.

None of what I have said is even an opinion. It is a fact that he wanted to ban muslims from entering the country, said women should be arrested for abortions, said he sexually assaulted women, said Mexican's are rapists. His lies are on record as well (see politifact). The closest Trump has gotten to unity is the sheer amount of people he has united against him.

But sure Obama is the liar and divisive one.

Christy42 wrote: »
    But sure Obama is the liar and divisive one.

...with a 55% approval rating.

Right wing smear campaigns arent hurting him at all, he'll go down as one of the best presidents.

On an aside to media reporting on Don, I guess the following story might please him in regard to his thoughts about media bias. One of the things I notice when opening up on the initial facebook page is the "in the news" section below the Facebook - Log In or Sign Up section. So tonight it has this in the "in the news" section..... Facebook Employees Pushed to Remove Trump's Posts as Hate Speech
    Wall Street Journal‎ - 3 hours ago.

I thought it kinda strange that facebook was posting a Wall St Journal story about F/B employees requests to F/B. So I went further to check out why and keyed in "Wall St journal reporting facebook employees want Trumps posts removed" onto google to see what info google might contain on the "story". This popped up on the response to query page....... https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwies8GJjO3PAhVICMAKHWuHC3MQqQIIHSgAMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffortune.com%2F2016%2F10%2F21%2Ffacebook-newsworthy%2F&usg=AFQjCNFxb7gWFpdbRAvkO9pB7QZhmeqCow.

It seem's the upset caused by Don's posts has stirred up controversy over f/b deletion of posts policy and media stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Methinks you need to get out of those muddle ages of Congress. But hey, I get it. It makes great sound bites blaming Republicans for everything under the sun. Since the Republicans have taken over there has been a much greater level of bipartisan support in order to get things done Too much, in my opinion. I’ve often complained here that since Republicans took over they’ve lost their spine, gone back on their promises they made to get them elected, and pretty much have given President Obama everything he wanted with his legislative agenda. But sure, you can pick a few things that Reps and Dems couldn’t agree on… and never will. Things like repealing the failing ObamaCare, gun control, and comprehensive immigration reform.

It's the most anti-bipartisan Congress in years but that's too bipartisan for you?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I never liked Obama's speeches. Sure he has charisma, but the lies, deceit, and division within them overshadowed everything else. And I like trumps line about Melania using Michelle speech the best, and the one with something about Hillary's campaign staff being there... ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, the New York Times, etc.
    Well that's shocking that you never liked Obamas speeches, who would of thought a staunch republican doesn't like the big bad black intelligent democrat.
    Its funny that somehow Trump has made this media thing an issue, he starts to lose, cant take it, lashes out on media and blames them, now he has magically made this an issue, how dumb are some of the people in this country to pay any attention to this clown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Lies, deceit and division in his speeches.

You're saying this puts you off someone.

You're a Trump supporter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

InTheTrees wrote: »
    ...with a 55% approval rating.

Right wing smear campaigns arent hurting him at all, he'll go down as one of the best presidents.

He was a nothing president who promised much and delivered little. Ironically for the first coloured president, race relations are as low as they've ever been. It will only get worse if Hillary gets in, given how she's courted the black supremacist vote.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Deceit and division are subjection, so there's no point in challenging you on that.

However lies and deceit can be measured objectively. Can you back this claim up? I know you disagree with his policies, but damning him as a liar is a whole different kettle of fish.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

He was a nothing president who promised much and delivered little. Ironically for the first coloured president, race relations are as low as they've ever been. It will only get worse if Hillary gets in, given how she's courted the black supremacist vote.

Interesting that a lot of white anerica is blaming the black guy for race relation issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Think it's been a lot lower in the past.
    Stop cops executing black people = black supremacy!!!!!

Ironically for the first coloured president, race relations are as low as they've ever been. It will only get worse if Hillary gets in.

Haha. Brilliant.

"As low as they've ever been"? Wow. That must be the white peoples opinion then? They don't like minorities to feel empowered do they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

20Cent wrote: »
    Think it's been a lot lower in the past.
    Stop cops executing black people = black supremacy!!!!!

Its far more nuanced than that, and I think you know it.

Plenty of black supremists out there relishing in the fact that white cops are getting shot.

I'm curious to see where the nuance is in the claim that Hillary has been 'courting the black supremacy vote'. It just reads as outright nonsense on pretty much any angle to me.

alastair wrote: »
    I'm curious to see where the nuance is in the claim that Hillary has been 'courting the black supremacy vote'. It just reads as outright nonsense on pretty much any angle to me.

I'm not the one who made the point but I'll give you and example of it.

There are black supremists out there and having tne likes of Michael Browns mother speaking at the DNC is courting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Plenty of black supremists out there relishing in the fact that white cops are getting shot.

1,134 total number of young black men killed by police offices,

124 total number of police officers killed in the line of duty, of which 42 killed by gun fire.

• Advertisement

I'm not the one who made the point but I'll give you and example of it.

There are black supremists out there and having tne likes of Michael Browns mother speaking at the DNC is courting them.

Really? That's the 'nuance'?
    Nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,974 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

gosplan wrote: »
    Interesting that a lot of white anerica is blaming the black guy for race relation issues.

And that the Tea Party is getting none of the blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

And that the Tea Party is getting none of the blame.

Are the Tea Party still a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,974 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

20Cent wrote: »
    Are the Tea Party still a thing?

How do you think Cruz & Trump became two of the last three Republicans in their nomination race?

alastair wrote: »
    Really? That's the 'nuance'?
    Nonsense.

Read my post.

A poster said
    "Stop cops executing black people = black supremacy!!!!!"

I'm arguing that its more nuanced that that, in the sense that there are plenty of black supremists out there using the "stop cops executing black people" as a cover for their hatred of whites.

BLM is not all peace loving people looking for justice, its full of white hating blacks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Read my post.

A poster said
    "Stop cops executing black people = black supremacy!!!!!"

I'm arguing that its more nuanced that that, in the sense that there are plenty of black supremists out there using the "stop cops executing black people" as a cover for their hatred of whites.

BLM is not all peace loving people looking for justice, its full of white hating blacks too.

So what ?? sure are a lot less white hating blacks than black hating whites , but that doesn't seem to bother you so much .

Having a black president basically drove the crazies crazy.

So that's why Trump.

Overall GOP needs to figure out a different way of getting nominations or it'll happen again.

They also need to work on their own party and strategy rather than being the 'block the democrats' party.

And they need to appeal to minorities or they'll never get back in.

For example California has been blue since Clinton, I'm assuming it's due to demographics but it's a massive 55 EC votes.

It was red all the way through 60s, 70s and 80s. Republicans did well.

Since it turned blue Bush jr was the only republican president to get in. One was by a hair and the other was in wartime.

In a regular election the republicans are going to find it really hard to win without California.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭nomadchocolate

gosplan wrote: »
    Having a black president basically drove the crazies crazy.

So that's why Trump.

Overall GOP needs to figure out a different way of getting nominations or it'll happen again.

They also need to work on their own party and strategy rather than being the 'block the democrats' party.

And they need to appeal to minorities or they'll never get back in.

For example California has been blue since Clinton, I'm assuming it's due to demographics but it's a massive 55 EC votes.

It was red all the way through 60s, 70s and 80s. Republicans did well.

Since it turned blue Bush jr was the only republican president to get in. One was by a hair and the other was in wartime.

In a regular election the republicans are going to find it really hard to win without California.

Absolute nonsense. Any proof to back up your statement?

marienbad wrote: »
    So what ?? sure are a lot less white hating blacks than black hating whites , but that doesn't seem to bother you so much .

How do you reckon that ?

What can you back it up with ?

Actually the black vote will be interesting hete, will the increase in black vote we saw with Obama continue with Hillary or will it drop off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

Absolute nonsense. Any proof to back up your statement?

The fact that Trump has consistently engaged in racism during his campaign. Plus he has engaged in the Obama not being American conspiracy for years...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement