Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

finding work

Options
  • 12-08-2016 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

hi i am desperate for money and its very hard to find work when you are 18 with no experience. anyone know of any way i can make money (via internet or anything really), i did babysitting also but the family have moved away and i am left with no way to make money now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Concentrate on getting some training / skills / qualifications the money will follow

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Are you still in school?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 123zxc

yea i am

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The usuals apply then. Have you access to:

A. Local shops and small businesses.
    B. A lawn mower.
    Or
    C. A bucket and sponge.
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

What part of the country do you live in?

What steps have you taken in looking for a job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Hi,
    A lot of people make money over the Internet but it's not as easy as it looks. If you Google search you'll come up with the cliché things like drop shipping, sell on eBay, make money from YouTube etc. They're all hard as so many people are trying to do the same.

Theres a million and one ways to make money online. But without a skill or background niche experience it's REALLY hard. As you say you're only 18 and haven't gone to college yet. So realistically to earn a few quid you're gonna need a job...

That's where you have to be creative. Dare I be blunt, you have to blow yourself out on your cv or 'embellish' for a nicer sounding word ;)
    You can't just say you worked in Tesco part-time for the last year as that can easily be checked. But say you helped out with local resource centres etc.

Being 18 with no experience on paper will get you no-where.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Assuming you live in/near a town or city the most productive thing you can do for an afternoon is create as good as CV as you can (seeing as you're so young highlight any interests you have, hobbies, sporting and other achievements and grades). Then go into every shop and pub in town and ask for a manager to hand your CV too, try to have a chat with the manager if possible. Handing a CV to a cashier or clerk will do nothing as these inevitably end up in a pile of other CVs never to be looked at.

Most bars and hotels will be looking for younger staff (usually male) to do some of the crapper jobs (sorting bottles, cleaning, stocking etc).

Worst comes to the worst you can apply online for door to door sales/chugging. It's pretty soul destroying and morally questionable sometimes but as a last resort do it for a few weeks and get something on your CV. I did door to door sales for a charity 2 months which was brutal but paid for my Summer.

Spend a day doing the above rather than trying to create a decent income online, which is unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Whatever you do, don't try to get work like one scrote did with us on our facebook page: "hiya, u got ny work?" :rolleyes:

Advertisement