Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ligue 1 Superthread 2016/17

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

I think they will be okay for top three but they need to figure out their best team. I saw their game against Caen a few weeks back and N'Koulou was their best defender, but they had him on the bench today. They had a Polish player, Rybus, who was a summer signing, playing at left-back that day and he did well - but today he wasn't even in the match squad. They weren't helped today by their captain Gonalons, the defensive midfielder, getting sent off when it was 1-1, but I think they have good players being left out of the team. Tolisso for example is a good young player who got great reviews for his performance for the U-21s and he was on the bench today as well.

I'm not sure the other teams in the league can challenge for the top 3 spots. Nice have started well and if Balotelli could recapture his form from Euro 2012 they could be a surprise package but that's probably a long shot. I am though looking forward to seeing if Balotelli plays against Marseille on Sunday.

Cheers, have them in ante post football bet for top 3!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭- bo -

I backed Lyon for the league (in betting without PSG), that was a shocker of a result considering Bordeaux hadn't really looked up to much so far.

I'll be watching Nantes-Metz this afternoon. New signing Stepinski will probably start. Depending on the result we could end the day as high as 6th or as low as 19th. Not that it matters much at this stage, the season already has 'mediocre' written all over it once again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

PSG without Zlatan really arent even close to as intimidating. For me Cavani will score about 20 goals this season but thats it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

- bo - wrote:
    I'll be watching Nantes-Metz this afternoon. New signing Stepinski will probably start. Depending on the result we could end the day as high as 6th or as low as 19th. Not that it matters much at this stage, the season already has 'mediocre' written all over it once again...

3-0 to Metz and a hat-trick for Erding. I did not see that result coming.
    Charizard wrote: »
    PSG without Zlatan really arent even close to as intimidating. For me Cavani will score about 20 goals this season but thats it

Yeah I like their depth in all other areas of the pitch but up front there is nothing intimidating there. I think if they are to do well in Europe they need another top class striker but they may have left it too late; I'm not sure they can get the necessary quality in January as far as Europe goes.

Nice vs Marseille is the big game on BT Sports tonight at 7:45 and the big headline news is that Balotelli starts. Teams:
    Nice: Cardinale - Pereira, Baysse, Dante, Sarr, Dalbert - Koziello, Cyprien, Seri - Balotelli, Pléa

Marseille: Pelé - Sakai, Hubocan, Doria, Rekik - Vainqueur, Zambo Anguissa - Thauvin, Leya Iseka, Sarr - Gomis

Dante is in for Nice too after signing before the window. I like the young Nice player Sarr as well. Their keeper Cardinale has started the season well too.

Hard to know what to expect from Marseille. Defensively they look suspect. Pele has made some good saves in goal but Hubocan and Doria haven't done well at centre-back and Sakai has done well going forward, but not the defensive side of things. This isn't a bad game for Balotelli to start off with imo. If there is any quality still left in him then this is a pretty good game to show it I think.

I will predict a 1-1 draw.

Penalty to Nice!

Balotelli scores!

And he's started well too.

Thauvin equalises to make it 1-1. It's been coming.

Very open game this, so far.

Update: 1-1 at Half-Time. Balotelli has looked a threat. Has forced two more saves from Pele since his goal. Marseille have had chances too and Cardinale has made a good save just before the break. Could go either way this game.

Penalty to Marseille for a foul on Sarr.

Gomis scores to make it 2-1.

Balotelli scores again!

A header from close range and it's 2-2. Just over 10 minutes to go.

3-2 to Nice.

A strike from long range by Cyprien who has played well. Keeper probably should have saved it.

This has been a cracking game of football.

• Advertisement

It finishes 3-2 to Nice. Great game.

I thought Balotelli played very well for a guy that hasn't had game time and can't be at full fitness. If he keeps this up and is committed for the whole season he will be a great signing for Nice. He took his goals well, worked the goalkeeper, could have had an assist tonight as well. Very good stuff. Great stat here too:

https://twitter.com/BenMcAleer1/status/775069761604554752

Overall I think Nice just about deserved the win.

Love Balotelli, delighted to see him scoring. He could be great, hopefully a few seasons in france sorts him out

Caen vs PSG is live on BT Sports 3 tonight (kick-off 7.45).

Teams:
    Caen: Genevois, Da Silva, Ben Youssef, Bessat - Karamoh, Seube, Féret, Bazile - Rodelin, Santini
    PSG: Areola - Meunier, Marquinhos, Kimpembe, Maxwell - Krychowiak, Rabiot, Matuidi (c) - Lucas, Cavani, Di Maria

Karamoh has been Caen's best player on the right wing and I'm keen to see how he does against Maxwell. Caen could get some joy there.

Areola keeps his place over Trapp which is not a surprise as he did well against Arsenal. It will be interesting to see if Cavani fares better in this game. I thought Jese would get a chance in this game but he's benched. Augustin is also a sub and I'd like to see him get a chance if Cavani misfires.

I'll go 2-0 win to PSG.

Cavani scores to make it 1-0.

Update: Now PSG have a penalty. And Cavani makes it 2-0.

Cavani gets his hat-trick after a well-worked goal.

Di Maria has been terrific. Could be a long night for Caen.

And Cavani gets a FOURTH. This is the Cavani of old.

Half-Time and it's 4-0 to PSG. Di Maria has played in the centre and been excellent. This is the best I've seen from Emery's PSG.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

So happy for Cavani after all the idiots claimed he was crap the other night. Class is permanent.

Cavani has been subbed for Jese which makes sense. Cavani's work is done and it's a good chance for Jese to gain confidence and get a goal.

Update: Augustin now on for Di Maria; nice to see him get a chance.

Lucas Moura makes it 5-0 from long range. Augustin with the assist.

Augustin makes it 6-0! Delighted for him. One of my favourites from this summer's U-19 Euros.

It finishes 6-0 to PSG. Excellent performance from PSG. Cavani and Di Maria did great and were responsible for the game being over at half-time.

Augustin looked very good when he came on in the second half too. I hope Emery gives him more game time.

Very ominous for the rest of the league, especially considering this performance was without Kurzawa and Aurier in the full-back positions.

Burial. wrote: »
    So happy for Cavani after all the idiots claimed he was crap the other night. Class is permanent.
    I dont think anyone said he was crap, I said he wasnt a super star. This is common for him incase you dont watch him regularly. Lets see him in the next 3 games. A striker who cost 50million to never score 20 goals in Ligue 1 is well not world class. Its idiots who will now say one good game=class is permanent

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Any word on Ferkir's and Lacazette's injuries?

Any word on Ferkir's and Lacazette's injuries?

Fekir has to have a knee operation so it looks like he will be out for a while. Lacazette is supposed to miss about 4 weeks. It will be interesting to see how Lyon get on away to Marseille tomorrow.

Good to see Monaco win comfortably today 3-0 over Rennes.

Marseille vs Lyon is on BT Sports 1 tonight (kick off 7.45). Here are the teams:
    Marseille: Pelé - Sakai, Hubocan, Doria, Bédimo - Thauvin, Zambo Anguissa, Vainqueur, Sarr - Leya Iseka, Gomis (c)

Lyon: Lopes - Yanga Mbiwa, Nkoulou, Morel - Rafaël, Ferri, Tousart, Darder, Rybus - Tolisso (c) - Cornet.

Surprised to see Tolisso wears the armband for Lyon at just 22. He's been excellent this season and I'm fascinated to see how he does as captain. He's a great prospect. Cornet did well in the Champions League up front and gets the nod again which is good to see. Tousart is another promising young player.

Gomis should be up for this for Marseille against his old club. I thought Zambo Anguissa and Leya Iseka did well against Nice last week so I'm keen to see how they do here, but I'm not sure about Marseille defensively.

I'll go for Lyon to sneak the away win.

0-0 at Half-Time. Hasn't been a great half of football. Lyon have looked closest to scoring but are lacking a focal point up top. Lacazette badly missed here.

Update: It ends in a stalemate. Both sides had opportunities to win it but there wasn't enough quality to finish. Marseille's fans haven't been turning up and this performance was unlikely to get them to come back. Disappointing game really.

Positives from the weekend gone:

Scored a goal.
    Didn't lose.

There's two games in Ligue 1 tonight. I believe they're both on BT Sports ESPN:

Lille vs Toulouse (k.o. 6 pm)
    PSG vs Dijon (k.o. 8 pm)

Could be quite the hammering for Dijon.

Toulouse have won away at Lille 2-1. Terrible defending from Lille at times. Centre-back Issa Diop of Toulouse is a name to remember. He has huge potential and provided a great assist for Toivonen's winner.

Here's the teams for PSG vs Dijon which kicks off at 8:
    PSG: Areola - Meunier, T. Silva, Kimpembe, Maxwell - T. Motta, Rabiot - Di Maria, Pastore, Lucas - Cavani

Dijon: Reynet – Bouka-Moutou, Lang, Abdelhamid, Chafik – Loties, Gastien, Abeid, Marié, Lees-Melou – Bahamboula

Emery has rotated a little and Pastore comes back in. I'll predict 4-0 to PSG in this one.

1-0 to PSG. Maxwell's cross takes a wicked deflection off Adam Lang and loops over the keeper. Freakish goal and may go down as an O.G.

Update: 2-0 to PSG. Cavani from the penalty spot. Rabiot won the peno with some good skill.

Half-Time and it's 2-0 to PSG who are comfortable. Dijon rattled the woodwork but other than that they've struggled to test PSG. Di Maria has played very well once again. I hope to see Augustin get a run out at some stage.

Lucas scores to make it 3-0 with a header from a Maxwell cross. Lucas has played well tonight. That's the game well and truly over, although it already was.

Full-Time and it ends 3-0 to PSG. A comfortable evening for PSG.

Nice vs Monaco has just kicked off on BT Sports 2. I've been looking forward to this one. Teams:
    Nice: Cardinale - Dalbert, Sarr, Dante, Baysse, Pereira - Seri, Cyprien, Koziello, Belhanda, Balotelli

Monaco: Subasic - Raggi, Jemerson, Glik, Sidibe - Fabinho, Bakayoko, Moutinho - Lemar, Silva, Falcao

Fekir is also back for Lyon against Montpellier so no long lay-off after all.

Wow Nice have taken the lead. Baysse with a great header for 1-0.

• Advertisement

Watching Nantes - St.Etienne.

17 minutes in, they have a man sent off after giving away a peno....

...which is missed of course :rolleyes:

Balotelli has scored! 2-0 to Nice now. Great run and finish from him.

- bo - wrote: »
    Watching Nantes - St.Etienne.

17 minutes in, they have a man sent off after giving away a peno....

...which is missed of course :rolleyes:

Just saw an Opta stat that St Etienne have made their three subs in the first 21 minutes which is a first for a Ligue 1 game. Not sure I've heard of that happening in a match before.

Desperate stuff alright. Penalty conceded, one player sees red, and three subs in the first 20 minutes all because of injuries (match hasn't been even a bit dirty)

Still, half-time and they're holding on to a 0-0 fairly comfortably...

Balotelli scores again! 3-0 to Nice and completely against the run of play as well. That's probably game over; Nice look to be going top.

Yoan Cardinale has been excellent in goal for Nice tonight. France have some great young keepers at the minute: Areola, Didillon, Cardinale.

Update: Nice have a peno and Bakayoko has been sent off. Sadly Balotelli has been subbed so there will be no hat-trick.

Another update: Plea scores about a minute after missing his penalty! Good header. 4-0.

Desperate. Just horrible to watch.

Full-Time and it ends with Nice winning 4-0 to go top of the table. Monaco weren't as bad as the scoreline suggests but they went asleep for the set-piece that Baysse scored from, and Balotelli was very clinical with the chances that came his way. Nice keeper Cardinale made some good saves too. Monaco lacked a cutting edge up top and it's one of the reasons I think their title challenge will fall short.

Other scores include Lyon hammering Montpellier 5-1 and Bordeaux winning 3-0 away to Metz. Marseille are away to Rennes in the late kick-off.

Marseille-Nantes the feature match on Sunday night. Relegation six-pointer! :pac:

Toulouse vs PSG is live on BT Sports tonight at 7.45. I've been looking forward to this one; I want to see how the impressive centre-backs Diop and Jullien do against an in-form PSG. Team news:
    Toulouse: Lafont; Yago, I.Diop, Jullien, Moubandje; Michelin, Bodiger, Blin, I.Sylla; Toivonen, Edouard.

PSG: Areola - Aurier, Marquinhos, Silva (c), Maxwell - Krychowiak, Rabiot, Matuidi - Lucas, Cavani, Di Maria.

I can't see Toulouse scoring with Braithwaite out. As much as I like Toulouse's defence I can't imagine them holding out here. I'll go 2-0 to PSG.

Edit: Match is on BT Sport X2. I found it tricky to find it.

• Advertisement

0-0 at Half-Time. PSG were very sloppy for much of the half gifting possession to Toulouse who have pressed well. I mentioned being excited about seeing Toulouse's centre-backs, who have done well, but the star performer was the teenage keeper Alban Lafont who has denied Cavani with some very good stops. PSG have looked better near the end of the half.

I'm interested to see if Emery changes anything; Lucas has been very quiet which surprises me as he's played well lately.

What a start to the second half. Serge Aurier sent off for PSG and Toulouse have a peno.

And Bodiger makes it 1-0 to Toulouse.

2-0 to Toulouse. Motta on as a sub gifts the ball to Toulouse and their sub Jimmy Durmaz finishes well. That must be game over now.

Full-time and it finishes Toulouse 2-0 PSG. Lovely stuff. Hopefully Monaco, Nice and Bordeaux can capitalize on this over the weekend and pick up wins.

Very disappointing game from PSG's point of view. Tough to judge them on the second half display since they played almost all of it with a man less, but you can judge them on the first half display and they were very poor, giving the ball away too often. Rabiot was disappointing, Di Maria wasn't as good as previous games and Lucas was very poor.

I think questions will be asked about Emery's decision making. He brought Motta on in the second half when they were chasing a goal which was strange, and Motta having nearly got himself sent off then was responsible for Toulouse's second goal. That change did PSG no favours. I thought PSG had turned a corner but this was like their poor form at the start of the season.

Toulouse did great and Pascal Dupraz is a likeable character so it's good to see them doing well. I was again impressed with Diop at centre-back and keeper Lafont made some important saves. They deserved the win. The average age of the Toulouse side is 22 and that's the youngest in Ligue 1 so to beat PSG is a fantastic achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

PSG really struggling to get goimg this year

Terrible result for Lyon losing to Lorient who were bottom of the table going into the game. A great chance to gain ground on PSG wasted. At least Monaco did the business and took 3 points. Nice should beat Nancy on Sunday who are one off the bottom, but I thought similar about Lyon against Lorient.

• Advertisement

Good to see Nice beat Nancy earlier and go back on top. Balotelli rested again which was a surprise.

Marseille vs Nantes is on BT Sports 1 tonight (kick-off 7.45). Here are the teams:
    Marseille: Pelé; Sakai, Fanni, Doria, Bedimo; Vainqueur, Anguissa; Thauvin, Cabella, Njie; Gomis (c)

Nantes: Dubois, Kwateng, Vizcarrondo, Lima; Gillet, Thomsen, Rongier; Harit; Sala, Stepinski

Neither of these sides are playing well but Gomis has been the one shining light for Marseille of late and I think he could prove the difference. I'll go 2-0 to Marseille. Also they dropped Hubocan from defence which won't help Nantes.

I'm in two minds over whether to watch this one as I fear it could be an ugly game. I'm going to give it 15 minutes and if it looks bad I'll switch to another match. (I'm thinking Corinthians vs Fluminense on BT Sports 3 is a better alternative tbh.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Was Balotelli not injured rather than rested?

Amirani wrote: »
    Was Balotelli not injured rather than rested?

I'm not sure. Maybe. I know they left him out of their game away to Montpellier saying that he needed a break. I figured they left him out today as they reckoned they could beat Nancy without him and they have a Europa League match coming up.

Crazy load of pink smoke as a result of the flares.

1-0 to Nantes! Sala scores. As if the Marseille fans weren't pissed off enough already. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement