Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ligue 1 Superthread 2016/17

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭- bo -

Typical. 5 minutes late tuning in and I miss a rare goal. Nice one though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Marseille can't keep missing these chances, can they?

Edit: Nope! It's 1-1. Clinton Njie scores a lovely goal. He's on loan from Spurs I think.

What a miss from Gomis.

https://twitter.com/philousports/status/780126609533726720

Update: 1-1 at H-T. A more entertaining game than I was expecting. Glad I stuck with it.

Really entertaining. Could be 5-3! The 19 year old Harit has been by far Nantes' best performer this season. He's been hacked down a few times. Very lightweight though.

Oh Gomis. Another miss.

Update: Peno to Marseille. Looked like one to me. Gomis will take I imagine.

Goal. 2-1 to Marseille and Gomis finally scores.

Edit: Wow Nantes were very close to equalising there. Woodwork still shaking.

Franck Passi bringing on Tomas Hubocan who had a mare against Rennes in the last game. Not sure about that sub.

Full-Time and Marseille beat Nantes 2-1. There could have been plenty more goals. Gomis was quite wasteful with the opportunities that came along. Nantes came close to scoring but were denied by the woodwork.

I thought Thauvin was probably Marseille's best player and he got a great reception from the fans when he came off. I thought Rod Fanni did well in defence on his return to the club. He looks much more assured than Hubocan.

Nantes looked short on quality. Harit has a touch of class, although he tried to do too much at times which is understandable for a young guy. I'm not sure Nantes can rely too much on their best player being a teenager. I'd be worried for them the way things are looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Great updates on this thread I must say. Really interesting to keep up with a league I wouldn't normally follow. Cheers!

Breton derby action tonight with Rennes vs Guingamp about to kick off on BT Sport ESPN. Teams:
    Rennes: Costil; Danzé, P.Mendes, Mexer, Baal; Grosicki, G.Fernandes, B.André, Ntep; Hunou, Sio

Guingamp: Jóhnsson; Ikoko, Angoua, Sorbon, Kerbrat; Giresse, M.Diallo, Deaux, Coco; Salibur, Briand

Nice to see Hunou get a start for Rennes. He scored a great header against Marseille a few weeks ago and looks an exciting young player. Rennes have been poor defensively though and Guingamp have good players in Diallo and Coco. I'll go for a 1-1 draw in this one.

Update: 0-0 at Half-Time. Disappointing half of football. Both teams have been poor in front of goal and neither keeper has had to do anything of note. For Rennes, Sio been particularly poor when in good positions; Hunou was lively at times but could have been better. Coco wasted a good chance for Guingamp after a good break by firing wide. Been quite a scrappy half of football. Jonathan Pearce is on commentary and hasn't helped the viewing experience with his rambling anecdotes. Apparently his son is doing his biology GCSEs and he'll have to ask him the proper term for the 'ear hole'.

Update II: Peno to Rennes. Diallo sent off after a second yellow card. Soft peno. Ntep went down so easily.

And Grosicki's penalty is saved. I want a goal, damn it. :pac:

Good chance on the break for ten man Guingamp to score. Salibur unable to finish.

And Rennes have won it at the death! Adama Diakhaby on as a sub scores from a cross by another sub Pedro Henrique.

Monaco beat Metz 7-0 away from home. Last couple of goals were after Metz had been reduced to ten men but even so that's quite a statement.

Cavani also got 2 goals today as PSG beat Bordeaux 2-0 so he's the top scorer in Ligue 1 at the moment.

Nice fixture for the evening match tomorrow night with Lyon at home to Saint-Etienne in the Rhone derby. Looking forward to that one.

• Advertisement

It's never dull with Mario Balotelli around.

He scores what turns out to be the winner for Nice in the 86th minute to put them back top of Ligue 1, gets booked a minute later, and then gets sent off in the 90th minute. Next game he misses is a tough one too at home to Lyon.

Also Marseille's woes continued, letting in a goal in the 93rd minute away to Angers. It ended 1-1.

Rhone derby is about to get under way on BT Sports. Team news:
    Lyon: Lopes - Mammana, Nkoulou, Morel - Tolisso, Ferri, Tousart, Darder, Rybus - Valbuena - Fekir

Saint-Etienne: Ruffier - Lacroix, Dabo, Selnaes - Malcuit, Monnet-Paquet, Pajot, Veretout - Hamouma , Beric, Nordin

Interesting that Saint-Etienne are starting the 18 year old Arnaud Nordin who came on as a sub in the last match against Lille and scored.

I think Lyon have more quality though and Fekir has been playing really well so I'll go 2-1 to Lyon.

Darder's header makes it 1-0 after good skill and a cross from Fekir.

Update: 1-0 to Lyon at half-time. Been very physical as you'd expect from a derby game and quite a few hefty challenges on show. Both sides had chances to score. Pajot had a shot for Saint-Etienne that looked to be goal-bound but his teammate Beric got in the way. Dabo also had a chance for them but wasted it. At the other end Fekir, who's been very good, had a shot saved by Ruffier. Still all to play for in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

Do you know why the big clubs are not after Fekir? Is it due to his injuries?

09_09_09 wrote: »
    Do you know why the big clubs are not after Fekir? Is it due to his injuries?

I think that's it. Concern over his fitness and whether he can get back to his best prior to that terrible lay off he had. If he can stay healthy and keep playing well then I think Lyon will have a lot of clubs after him.

Saint-Etienne went very close there to equalising. Good save by Lopes.

Update: Lyon playing some lovely stuff but not putting away their chances. Hope they don't rue these misses. 15 minutes to go.

Sub Rachid Ghezzal with a great strike to make it 2-0. That should win it for Lyon.

Update: It ends 2-0 to Lyon. I think it was a deserved win. The first half was more even with chances for each side but Lyon went up a gear in the second half. Fekir was very good for Lyon and I thought Ferri did well too. Sub Ghezzal was impressive when he came on. Saint-Etienne's best player was keeper Ruffier who kept them in it; he couldn't do anything about Ghezzal's goal.

Very interesting game tonight on TV (BT Sport ESPN) with Nice at home to Lyon - kick off is 7.45. A win for Nice keeps them on top and may indicate they are to be considered serious contenders, while on the other hand a win for Lyon gets them right back in the title picture. Team news:
    Nice XI: Cardinale; Pereira, Baysse, Dante, Sarr, Dalbert; Walter, Seri; Cyprien, Belhanda; Balotelli.
    Lyon XI: Lopes; Gaspar, Yanga Mbiwa, Mammana, Morel, Rybus; Gonalons, Darder, Ferri; Tolisso; Fekir.

Lacazette is on the bench for Lyon. There was talk he might feature but no doubt they want to try and save him for Juventus next week.

Balotelli returns after his red card ban was rightly rescinded. Looking forward to seeing how he gets on. He has tended to look better working with Belhanda up front over Plea.

There's good young talent on show in Nice keeper Yoan Cardinale, Nice's teenage defender Malang Sarr, plus Lyon's French U-21 midfielder Corentin Tolisso.

Tough one to predict but I'll go with Nice to edge it 2-1. Need Balotelli to have a good game.

Also playing right now, Toulouse are holding Monaco 1-1 with about fifteen minutes remaining.

Wow Toulouse beat Monaco 3-1. Very disappointing for Monaco but a great result for Toulouse only a few weeks after defeating PSG 2-0.

1-0 Nice! Paul Baysse scores.

Update: Fekir sent off for Lyon!

Further update: Half-Time now. 1-0 to Nice. It's a deserved lead. That sending off was a huge blow to Lyon who were struggling to create with 11 men, never mind 10. Balotelli has done okay. His best opportunities were from three free-kicks but he sent each one into the wall.

• Advertisement

Lacazette returns for the last 25 minutes of the game. Balotelli took a knock to the head but looks like he'll carry on.

Update: 2-0 to Nice and that should be the game. Seri with the goal after Belhanda had struck the post.

Balotelli fouled. Nice have a penalty.

Aaargh. Lopes saves Balotelli's penalty. Pity.

It finishes 2-0 to Nice and it was a deserved win for the home side. Lyon never really got going; and Fekir getting himself sent off when they were chasing the game left Lyon with a mountain to climb.

Seri was Nice's MOTM I thought. He tidied up a lot of problems in midfield and chipped in with a goal.

Nice now have a four point lead now over their nearest rivals. Great to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Got a football package with all the Ligue Une games so I reckon I'll be posting here a lot.

Caught a bit of the Nice Lyon game last night. Nice look well organised, the first goal being a good example. I'm a big fan of Lucien Favre so I'm looking forward to see how they do with him.

EDIT: Seri is class.

PSG got the result they needed against Nancy today winning 2-1. Cavani was on the scoresheet once again.

Lille remain in the bottom three after another loss. I'm very surprised with the squad they have that they find themselves where they are.

Two more goals for Casimir Ninga today as well for Montpellier as they beat Caen 3-2. Ninga now has 5 goals in 2 games. He could be one to keep an eye on this season.

The early games today, Rennes vs Bordeaux and Saint-Etienne vs Dijon, have ended 1-1; Dijon captain Cedric Varrault was sent off in stoppage time and apparently had to be dragged to the dressing room by 2 teammates as he was so angry.

Marseille vs Metz is the evening kick-off tonight and is live on BT Sport 3. Team news:
    Marseille: Pelé - Sakai, Fanni, Dória, Bedimo - Thauvin, Diarra, Vainqueur, Sarr - Gomis - Njie

Metz: Didillon - Balliu, Milan, Bisevac, Assou-Ekotto - Philipps, Mandjeck, Mollet - Hein, Erding, Nguette

Really keen to see how Metz keeper Thomas Didillon does today. I've been a fan of his performances this season but Metz did concede seven goals to Monaco before the international break so hopefully that hasn't crushed his confidence. I think Metz will need a big performance from him to get something, even though Marseille have been poor this season; Thauvin has played well of late and Gomis, despite being quite wasteful, does get into good positions. Erding has scored 6 goals so far and could be Metz's best bet to cause problems for Marseille; I'm not a fan of Doria in defence.

I'll say Marseille to win 2-1.

• Advertisement

1-0 Marseille. Gomis had a header brilliantly saved by Didillon but Gomis is there to tap in the rebound.

Update: 1-0 at Half-Time. Marseille have been the better side and should be further ahead. Thauvin has been Marseille's best player I would say. Metz have had chances though because Marseille are vulnerable at the back, with the full-back Sakai not often tracking back and Doria playing poorly. Erding has wasted some good opportunities for Metz; he is such a selfish striker and frequently loses possession when he could have passed to a teammate. It's infuriating to watch and his teammate Mollet, probably Metz's best player that half, had a go at him over it. It's been an enjoyable half.

Two wins on the bounce, I'm staying away from this thread :D

Lofty heights of 13th place as it stands...

Full-Time and it finishes 1-0 to Marseille. First half was much better than the second half which was disappointing. Marseille made hard work of getting a result against a pretty poor Metz side. Sakai nearly miskicked a ball into his own net near the end but the ball rolled just wide.

Metz took off Mollet just after half-time which was strange unless he had an injury as he had been their best creative player in the first half. Didillon was very good in goal for Metz and kept them in the match.

Monaco vs Montpellier is the featured match tonight on BT Sport 3 (kick-off 7.45). Teams:
    Monaco: Subasic; Sidibé, Glik, Jemerson, B.Mendy; Lemar, Fabinho, Bakayoko, B.Silva; Falcao, Mbappé.

Montpellier: Jourdren; Deplagne, Hilton, Skhiri, Roussillon; Y.Sylla, Sanson; Sessegnon, Boudebouz, Lasne; Camara.

I really like the line-up Monaco have gone with. Mbappe is a very exciting young talent and it's good to see him get a chance. Falcao also returns after his concussion last month and I'm keen to see how they and Bernardo Silva get on together. Fabinho and Bakayoko have been great in midfield too.

As for Montpellier, real shame that Casimir Ninga, who was in great goalscoring form, got injured in the past week and is out for a reported 6 months. I was looking forward to seeing how he would fare against Monaco. They have good attacking talent in Boudebouz and Sanson, and Sesegnon is a familiar face, but I don't rate them at the back. Jourdren looks dodgy in goal and Hilton has been awful in defence whenever I've seen him.

I fancy Monaco to win this one provided there's no hangover from the Champions League, and with the changes I don't think there will be. I'll say a 3-1 home win.

1-0 to Montpellier. Boudebouz with a lovely free-kick. Montpellier have started brightly and we have a game on our hands here.

• Advertisement

Falcao equalizes from the penalty spot. 1-1.

Mbappe won the penalty after a silly tackle from Skhiri. Monaco had been having trouble breaking Montpellier down, but Montpellier always look like they have an error in them defensively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Very interesting free kick, don't know what to make of the keeper's positioning. I'll be nice and say he was completely fooled by the free.

1-1 at Half-Time. Monaco been quite sluggish. That game in Russia on Tuesday having an effect. Hope they pick up the pace in the second half. Montpellier have had decent moments.

2-1 Monaco. Mbappe heads in from a great cross by Silva.

And Montpellier had started the second half really well.

Penalty to Montpellier after a clumsy foul from Mendy.

Boudebouz scores the penalty. 2-2.

3-2 Monaco now. Jemerson scores from a set-piece situation.

4-2 now. Substitute Germain heads in from an Mbappe cross.

And almost immediately it's 5-2. Jourdren makes a mess of punching the ball and sends it straight to Lemar who blasts home.

6-2 Monaco. Adama Traore who literally just came on turns in a rebound after great work from the other sub Boschilia. Montpellier have fallen apart in this second half.

Mercifully for Montpellier it's full-time and Monaco win it 6-2. You couldn't have imagined this scoreline at half-time with both sides evenly matched; actually the first few minutes of the second half Montpellier started well. But when Monaco got their third goal, Montpellier just capitulated. And the goals kept coming.

Montpellier are worth a watch if you see their games listed as they are quite good going forward with players like Boudebouz who is very good, and also Sanson; but they are absolutely woeful at the back, with a suspect keeper in Jourdren. You've got a great chance to see goals.

Monaco are also scoring plenty having knocked seven past Metz a few weeks ago and funnily enough I didn't think they were anywhere near their best tonight, but they were very clinical when chances came. Really pleased to see the teenager Mbappe play well and he was probably my MOTM; he impressed me during the U-19 Euros in the summer on Eurosport as well and he looks a future star. Also thought Sidibe at right-back and Bakayoko in midfield did well. What's interesting about Monaco is that lots of their players are chipping in with goals. They might not have a guy like Cavani or Lacazette or Balotelli to rely on, but if the goals come from other areas that may not matter. It's looking like they have a squad to challenge for the whole campaign as Moutinho didn't even make the sub's bench for this game.

Very entertaining match for a Friday night.

Lyon beaten 3-1 at home by Guingamp. Shocked at that result. They had been leading from a Lacazette penalty too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

PSG have fair declined under Emery. Ain't a fan of Blanc but they were better than this at least

Yeah there has been no improvement under Emery thus far and he's already coming under pressure.

To be fair to PSG I thought Cavani deserved a penalty. Some said he went down too theatrically but he was still fouled I thought. Cavani did miss badly near the end too. I wasn't surprised Marseille got a result because you often get that new manager effect kick in and Garcia will be happy enough having only had one or two training sessions.

Really pleased to see Nice win today at Metz and stay on top of Ligue 1 - and to be unbeaten too. Plea with a hat-trick as well shows they're not reliant solely on Balotelli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,856 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

How long are you going to stick with watching Ligue 1 this season? It has been absolute trash.

callaway92 wrote: »
    How long are you going to stick with watching Ligue 1 this season? It has been absolute trash.

In what way has it been trash?

You've a surprise package on top in the undefeated Nice, playing with some exciting youngsters as well as having the interesting sub-plot over where they can harness the enigma that is Balotelli. PSG it was feared would run away with it but they have stuttered in the opening 10 games with talk of players challenging Emery behind the scenes, and unrest over the future of Ben Arfa and Jese. Monaco have been fantastic to watch, scoring lots of goals and staying competitive at the top. Toulouse have gone from scrapping to survive relegation to bloodying the noses of the big boys and are currently in the top four.

There's fantastic quality to be found in the league too and this is a real golden period for young French talent. Of the leagues I follow it's probably the most interesting at the moment. Now it could all be different by March and perhaps PSG will be running away with it by then, but right now I think there's plenty of entertainment value to be found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,856 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Man I've watched so much Ligue 1 over the last 5 years and this year quality wise is the worst season I can remember. Obviously it's nice for Nice/Monaco to give it a go but it's been really really poor.

Lille vs PSG about to kick-off and it's live on BT Sport 3. Teams:
    Lille: Enyeama, Corchia, Civelli, Sunzu, Béria, Soumaoro, Mavuba, Sankharé, Amadou, Palmieri, Eder

PSG: Areola - Meunier, Marquinhos, Silva (c), Kurzawa - Motta, Verratti, Matuidi - Lucas, Cavani, Di Maria.

Can't see Lille getting a result here. I'll go 2-0 to PSG.

Di Maria has had a goal chalked off for handball after he had taken the ball past Enyeama. Looks harsh as the ball seemed to hit him in the chest.

Update: Half-Time and it's 0-0. Lille lucky not to be behind as that Di Maria goal should have stood. Cavani also butchered a great chance near the end. He may be having one of those days (cue 2 goals for him next half).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

Di Maria has had a goal chalked off for handball after he had taken the ball past Enyeama. Looks harsh as the ball seemed to hit him in the chest.

Update: Half-Time and it's 0-0. Lille lucky not to be behind as that Di Maria goal should have stood. Cavani also butchered a great chance near the end. He may be having one of those days (cue 2 goals for him next half).

Are you sure he didn't handball it? Thought the ball struck his upper arm a little too. Although, I only saw the replays once, and I still wasn't totally sure.

Cavani smashes it home to make it 1-0. He missed a decent chance a bit before that but Lille were going to get punished by providing him with chances.

• Advertisement

Debil wrote: »
    Are you sure he didn't handball it? Thought the ball struck his upper arm a little too. Although, I only saw the replays once, and I still wasn't totally sure.

The replay from behind does make it look like handball but the one from the front appears to show the chest.

https://twitter.com/GuillaumL_/status/792081595117236224

Advertisement