Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ligue 1 Superthread 2016/17

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Burial. wrote: »
    Amazing that Lyon were 11/10 to win this morning. Absolute steal considering Nantes terrible home form

Wow that is a steal. Nantes badly struggling for goals of late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Wow that is a steal. Nantes badly struggling for goals of late.

Have them in an accumulator along with some Copa Del Rey and the Psg game later. Have Nice on double chance too.

6-0 to Lyon now. Pity BT Sport didn't show that game. This one still goalless with 5 minutes of normal time to go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

6-0 to Lyon now. Pity BT Sport didn't show that game. This one still goalless with 5 minutes of normal time to go.

Glad to see Lyon hitting some form need them to make top 3. Would you fancy them to make it Mr nice guy? Cheers for the updates not getting to see as much of the European leagues as I'd hoped this year so enjoy your updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭- bo -

Well, there's two hours of my life wasted watching a 0-6 home defeat. The sad thing about it all is the minimal effort Lyon had to put in, it was pure men against boys stuff.

Full-Time and it ends 0-0. I feared a low-scoring game and it ended up a stalemate. MOTM I'd say was Saint-Etienne keeper Stephane Ruffier who had a good game at the weekend against Angers as well, saving a peno. Ruffier is in the argument for best keeper of the season I'd suggest.

First half had some exciting moments but the second half was poor. Spurs loan player Clinton Njie came on as a sub for Marseille and did well to create a chance for himself but blasted it wide in the end. Draw was a fair result but Marseille will be disappointed not to convert their good first half chances.

Other results:

Nancy 4-0 Metz
    Bastia 1-1 Bordeaux
    Toulouse 1-0 Montpellier
    Nantes 0-6 Lyon
    Guingamp 0-1 Nice

So Nice will finish the night in first, three clear of Monaco. But PSG can go second, just a point off Nice if they beat Angers in the late game - which you'd fancy them to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

PSG got thumped 3-0 away to Montpellier.

Johner wrote: »
    PSG got thumped 3-0 away to Montpellier.

I couldn't believe it when I saw that result. The game between Metz and Lyon was abandoned as well due to the Lyon keeper Lopes being hit by a firecracker. Metz were winning 1-0 at the time. Not sure what the aftermath of that will be.

Monaco got back to goalscoring ways and beat Bastia 5-0, so they're currently top on goal difference; but Nice can go 3 points clear if they beat Toulouse in the evening game tomorrow. PSG's next game is at home to Nice, so if Nice win tomorrow it will be set up for a great clash next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Have the Marseille Nancy game on at the moment. Gomis looking really good for them, seems to be the focus of their play and is doing a good job at. Just scored a nice goal too, great takedown from a corner and smashed it in.

EDIT: replay shows the deflection made a big difference.

• Advertisement

3-0 Marseille in the end. Lovely, confident finish by Clinton Njie to seal it.

Nice vs Toulouse kicks off at 7.45 on BT Sport 1. A point will take Nice top but they'll be looking for the win. Team news:
    Nice XI: Cardinale - Dalbert, Sarr, Dante, Pereira - Cyprien, Walter, Seri - Belhanda, Pléa, Eysseric

Toulouse XI: Lafont - Michelin, Yago, Musavu-King, Amian - Somalia, Sangaré - Durmaz, Toivonen, Sylla - Braithwaite

No Balotelli for Nice who is nursing an injury. Toulouse are without their regular centre-back pairing of Jullien and Diop which will be a boost for Nice. Jean Michael Seri is doing well for Nice this season in midfield; he has the most assists so far if I'm not mistaken.

Going to be optimistic and say a 2-0 win for Nice. I'd love to see them get 3 points on the board ahead of the PSG game next week.

1-0 Nice. Plea scores. Toulouse have done pretty well in the game but it was a good finish.

That was a very nice finish, took it nice and early.

Cracking goal and it's 2-0.

Beautiful goal there from Belhanda. Great run and lob.

• Advertisement

I'm calling dibs on starting the Ligue 2 Superthread 2017/18

2-0 to Nice at HT. Deserved lead.

Another beautiful goal from Nice! Seri with the goal, who's been terrific tonight.

Edit: Replays suggest it may have been offside. The build up was lovely though.

Full-Time and it ends 3-0 to Nice. Very good showing from Nice with some lovely goals. Jean Michael Seri was the MOTM for me; he pulled the strings and got a goal into the bargain. Several Nice players had good games though, with the centre-backs Dante and Sarr dealing with Toulouse well. Also thought Walter, Belhanda and Plea had good games too.

Toulouse never tested Cardinale. They will at least improve defensively when Jullien and Diop return.

So Nice go 3 points clear of Monaco at the top, and 4 clear of PSG. I'm really excited now for next Sunday's evening game with Nice away to PSG. Nice with the best defence in the league taking on the top scorer Cavani; Seri and Verratti both looking to controls things from midfield for their sides; the question of whether or not Balotelli returns from injury for the game, at least to the bench. That is going to be a great match.

Dijon vs Marseille was scheduled for BT Sport tonight but the game's been postponed until tomorrow at 1 pm because of fog. Shame, as I had a feeling it would be a good game.

• Advertisement

Nantes-Caen called off due to heavy fog = no points dropped this week :pac:

Monaco 4-0 up away to Bordeaux, Falcao hat-trick. Bordeaux completely losing the plot. Gave away a silly penatly, Plasil nearly talked himself into getting sent off and Ounas rightly sent off for a very nasty kick out.

Monaco are absolutely running riot this season, that's 53 goals in 17 games if it stays the same. 23 goals more than the second highest tally.

I'm not watching it but been following the score.. I haven't had much to smile about this season but that's hilarious :D

- bo - wrote: »
    Nantes-Caen called off due to heavy fog = no points dropped this week :pac:

I'm keen to see how Sergio Conceicao gets on with Nantes. I was learning about his managerial style as I don't know anything about it and apparently he's a pretty outspoken guy, has disputes with boards etc. so he should be a fun character.

As regards Monaco, I'm pleased to see Falcao continuing to score goals. He's having a bit of a career renaissance at the minute.

I'm very much looking forward to PSG vs Nice on Sunday evening. Just hope there's no fog about...

The problem is completely at board level at Nantes. The president Waldemar Kita and his son Franck (general manager) make it a nightmare for any manager to work with them. Trying to influence decisions too much, not making funds available to strengthen the squad, public spats between board and management.

That's why despite the horrendous form this season, there was no animosity between supporters and the now ex-manager René Girard. Or Der Zakarian before him. Kita has been threatening to sell the club for 10 years or so now but still hasn't followed through on it.

There are upcoming boycotts over the next few weeks and crowds have been dwindling for a many seasons now - I was one of 36,000 people who packed out the ground a few years ago against Lyon, the same fixture recently, albeit midweek, was under 19,000. Club is in a rotten place at the moment.

Anyway, hopefully Conceicao can at least keep us out of the bottom 3. He was meant to take charge from next week.. funny story where he was arriving for last night's match and the plane had to divert because of fog.. to Rennes :D

Nice are a massive price tonight at 9/1. Worth a little bet.

Here are the teams for tonight's big game on BT Sport 1 (7.45 k.o.):
    PSG XI: Areola - Aurier, Marquinhos, Silva, Kurzawa - Krychowiak, Motta, Verratti - Matuidi, Di Maria, Cavani.

Nice XI: Cardinale - Pereira, Souquet, Dante, Sarr, Dalbert - Walter, Seri, Cyprien - Belhanda, Pléa.

Really excited to see whether it's Verratti or Seri that winds up orchestrating things tonight.

I notice that Aurier and Kurzawa start at full-back for PSG and it feels like it's been a while since both were fit and available. They will be a massive threat out wide. Also the teenage Sarr who's had a good season will face a huge test against Cavani and I'm keen to see how he performs.

Balotelli starts on the bench tonight but I'm sure we will see him at some stage. PSG have boycotted the media tonight so I wonder how that siege mentality will affect their mindset. Will it help them?

I can't wait for this one. My hunch is PSG will do it. I think their threat down the flanks will be a big factor and I can see Cavani getting on the end of at least one chance. I'll go for PSG by 2 goals but I hope I'm wrong. I'd love to see Nice get something.

Nice!

1-0 Nice!

Stunning free-kick from Cyprien!

OMG Cavani. What a time to scuff your shot.

• Advertisement

2-0. :cool:

2-0!

OMG.

:D

Wow, wow, wow. PSG are 2-0 down and the crazy thing is they were probably the better side. Cavani missed a great opportunity to score, Cardinale looks really nervous under any high ball PSG put in there, Kurzawa and Aurier are causing lots of problems...and yet it's Nice with the advantage.

To Nice's credit they are working hard to win the ball back and Cyprien nearly added another stunning long range goal to his free-kick earlier.

The state of the defending though between Marquinhos and Thiago Silva for the Plea goal. Absolutely comical.

What a great 45 minutes we have coming up. If PSG lose this then Nice go 7 clear of them and imagine the stick facing Emery if that happens.

Cavani scores. Game on. :(

PSG get one back through Cavani. Just what they needed so early in the second half.

I should have cashed out. :o

2-2.

Cardinale's had a shocker today.

You'd have to fancy PSG to go on to win now.

Balotelli coming on now. Imagine if he won it for Nice. :cool:

Balotelli booked. :D

• Advertisement

What a save that was. Flag went up in the end anyway but still a brilliant save.

Delighted for Nice, great result for them.

I think Nice will be relatively happy with the point despite having led 2-0. They stay top ahead of Monaco by a point, and four ahead of PSG.

It looked in the second half like PSG were going to pull away with those early goals but Nice were dogged and as the half wore on PSG had no answer. Ben Arfa was particularly disappointing when he came on as a sub. I thought Aurier was PSG's best player by some margin. For Nice, I thought Cyprien did very well and was impressed with Ricardo Pereira also. Such a pity that Cardinale conceded such a soft second, though he made a good stop late on.

I'd say a draw was a fair result. It was an entertaining game. Next Sunday's evening match is Monaco vs Lyon and that could be very good too.

Angers vs Nantes is the live Ligue 1 game tonight on BT Sport ESPN (k.o. 7.45). Team news:
    Angers XI: Petric - Manceau, Traoré, Thomas, Andreu - N'Doye, Saihi, Santamaria - Capelle, Toko Ekambi - Diedhiou

Nantes XI: Riou - Dubois, Vizcarrondo, Diego Carlos, Lima - Iloki, Gillet, Djidji, Harit - Stepinski, Sala

Karl Toko Ekambi has impressed me when I've seen him and Famara Diedhiou is getting goals for Angers so they should be a threat. Angers aren't in good form of late though and I think the new manager effect can help Nantes. I'm interested to see how Amine Harit does under Conceicao and whether he can get the best out of him. I'm going to say Nantes to edge it 2-1.

1-0 to Nantes. Gillet with the goal. It was coming. Nantes have started well.

Update: Half-Time and it's Nantes who lead by a goal. Nantes started the half better but Angers finished it stronger with a lot of pressure and several corners. Sala has done well for Nantes. I wondered how Harit would do but he has been poor. Some silly decisions like shooting from long range when teammates have been in good positions. He's lost the ball a few times too. Still anyone's game as it stands.

2-0 Nantes. Much better stuff from Harit who plays a big part in a great counter-attack and finishes off the move too. Tough for Angers to come back from this.

Update: Should have been 3-0 but counter-attack chance squandered.

Full-Time and it ends 2-0 to Nantes. A deserved win. Harit disappointed me in the first half but in the second half he showed the quality he displayed at the U-19 Euros in the summer. Nantes should have extended their lead but Iloki was wasteful. Angers had some chances late on and hit the crossbar with a deflected strike, while Diedhiou wasn't at his best. Good confidence booster for Nantes as Anger's poor run continues - and their final league game of 2016 is away to Lyon which I can't see them getting anything from.

PSG in action tomorrow away to Guingamp who have been doing pretty well. I wouldn't be too shocked if Guingamp get something from that game.

• Advertisement

Never in doubt :D

I was very impressed with the performance last night. Great counterattack for the second goal and then sit back and hit them with breaks from then on. 5 goals in 2 games now. Yes it was against poor enough opposition, but the Nantes team from last night and midweek looks like a team possessed compared to the first 15 games of the season. Great to finish the year on a high with another win against Montpellier next week. In Conceicao we trust!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

PSG in action tomorrow away to Guingamp who have been doing pretty well. I wouldn't be too shocked if Guingamp get something from that game.

Good shout!

Gomis once again being a beast for Marseille.

Cracker from Thauvin puts Marseille 2-0 up against Lille. Good to see Garcia getting them into shape.

Delighted to hear Nice beat Dijon 2-1 earlier (Balotelli with a brace) to go 7 points clear of PSG. Big problems for Emery at the moment. I saw a crazy stat that Areola has conceded 9 goals from his last 10 shots. I know the kid has great potential but you'd think Trapp ought to have the jersey now the way things are going.

Super strike from Thauvin for Marseille vs Lille. Can't imagine a better goal than that in Ligue 1 this weekend, or maybe in any of the top 5 leagues.

Very excited for the evening game between Monaco and Lyon. A win for Monaco puts them 1 behind Nice, and 6 clear of PSG.

Update: Here's the team news:
    Monaco XI: Subasic - Sidibé, Glik, Jemerson, Mendy - Silva, Fabinho, Bakayoko, Lemar - Germain, Falcao.

Lyon XI: Lopes - Rafael, Yanga-Mbiwa, Diakhaby, Morel - Gonalons, Tousart - Ghezzal, Tolisso, Valbuena - Lacazette

I like the look of both teams. On form, you'd have to fancy Monaco to win; but Lyon could cause a scare or two along the way.

Hoping for a game with a lot of goals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement