Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large construction on quays in Dublin 2

Options
  • 12-08-2016 10:49am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know what that monstrosity of a tall building is on the south quays in Dublin 2. It's not far from the John Robertson quay I think. Looks like an eye sore!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It's the lift shaft for capital dock. Are you opposed to high rise development?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

http://www.axiseng.ie/work/construction-commences-on-capital-dock-development-sir-john-rogersons-quay/

This must be it.
    23 story block is the reason behind that lift shaft going up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

cgcsb wrote: »

This one particularly stands out as an eye sore as its not in line with the general building height in the area visually.

Funny, I never thought something like this would bother me until I saw it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

faceman wrote: »
    This one particularly stands out as an eye sore as its not in line with the general building height in the area visually.

Funny, I never thought something like this would bother me until I saw it

Well in fairness, it's a bare shell not exactly pretty to look at. The drawings and artist impression online actully make it look small and fit in with the other buildings.

IMO the Google building is much taller.

So given that there are no high rises in Dublin making it physically impossible for a new high rise development to be 'in line with the general building height in the area', ergo you are opposed to high rise development entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

This one particularly stands out as an eye sore as its not in line with the general building height in the area visually

It's the utter monotony of height that's the eyesore. The Capital Dock development looks excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

TallGlass wrote: »
    Well in fairness, it's a bare shell not exactly pretty to look at. The drawings and artist impression online actully make it look small and fit in with the other buildings.

IMO the Google building is much taller.

Its only the lift shaft not even the shell! It will be 6m taller than Google when finished.

What is being built is still too damn short. Dublin is ridiculously low rise. There are three storey office buildings in the docklands when there should be 33 storey+.

Newsflash, Deutsche Bank isn't going to move from their London City office to the 2 storey space above the spar in mulhuddart.
    I suppose the OP has his house bought and paid for, so the rest of us can clear off and commute from Kildare so he can enjoy a flat landscape.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

So given that there are no high rises in Dublin making it physically impossible for a new high rise development to be 'in line with the general building height in the area', ergo you are opposed to high rise development entirely.
    Newsflash, Deutsche Bank isn't going to move from their London City office to the 2 storey space above the spar in mulhuddart.
    I suppose the OP has his house bought and paid for, so the rest of us can clear off and commute from Kildare so he can enjoy a flat landscape.

Ok ok, we get your point about making the OP feel guilty about his apparent stance against high rise development.... which he clearly never stated but just wondered what the building was. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thanks whiskeyman. Indeed I never said I was opposed to high rise in general.

It will be interesting to see if this construction compliments the Dublin skyline.

And for the rest of you, I'm getting old, I'm supposed to moan about things!

*Grumbles, puts mix tape in Sony Walkman and reads the Beano*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

In fairness, Deutsche's main London office is only about 8 stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Bit harsh to criticise the appearance of something that's far from finished, no?

Everything looks ugly when it's being built.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Thanks whiskeyman. Indeed I never said I was opposed to high rise in general.

To be fair you've called it a monstrosity and an eyesore. This isn't even really high rise, but if Dublin does go that way it needs to start somewhere. It doesn't even come close to looking like a finished building yet, it's a liftshaft on a building site.

We need much more of this in the city. This isn't tall enough even.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I don't know what to make of these cowboy builders. Bad enough that they have the absolute neck to build something taller than the neighbouring structures, they didn't even have the decency to complete construction overnight so poor OP's eyes wouldn't be sore the next day!

Some amount of wanker comments in this thread. Hope you're proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Well in fairness, you called a building which has only really begun construction a monstrosity. What do you expect!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Well, you saw the lift shaft of a tall building and called it a monstrosity and an eyesore without even considering the design and you were called out for it.

Here's the design if you're interested:

ivJZPUv.png

HZtrSQD.png

It's not Capital Dock that's an eyesore — it's the shoeboxes around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Keep it civil folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Dublin could be an amazing city for business, even better than we already are. We just need huge high rise office and apartment blocks.

Like New York. Oh the possibilities, but we being held back by stupid regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fred_Johnson

To be fair Dublin is held back by DCC and An Taisce. Very little to do with the national government. DCC put height restrictions on every individual building in Dublin. How insane and control-freakery is that. Meanwhile An Taisce object and delay almost anything more than two or three storeys, even if it's within the insane low height limists set by DCC! And they still get listened to as though they were an equal party in the development, rather than the bunch of cranks and anti-development whingers that they are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement