Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Montsec, Catalunya

Options
  • 12-08-2016 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    So finally I got to go to Montsec (http://www.parcastronomic.cat/) , we spent 2 nights and 1st night we went to this observatory.
    Show started at 10, we went in around 9.30 when there was still some lingering light in the sky, so still hadn't seen the night sky.

The 1st hour was a cool 3d video in the planetarium, and then (and I didn't know this would happen) they alligned a picture of the night sky as
    it was outside and opened the roof - and wow what a way to be introduced to the night skies there, It's been years since I have seen the milky way
    and there it was across the sky - it was a little emotional :)

So we went out and had a look, then went to an observatory with a telescope, there were screens hooked up and a guy gave us a demo of its operation and
    pointed it at a few nebulas and the pillars of creation, he took a 30s exposure and removed the noise and we got really nice images of these.

Finally we went outside again where there were numerous telescopes pointed at Saturn and we could look into the eyepiece - always much better then
    a screen view :)

We had a lovely clear view of Saturn and it's rings - and Titan I think was visible too.

Amazing place, highly recommend.

We went back to the hotel that had it's own little observation point and I took some photos.

28280220844_a847d283ab_c.jpg

I love this one, you can see Andromeda there !
    28801414351_012f0a9a33_b.jpg

28843932156_d25a502b6a_c.jpg

Closer one of Andromeda
    28262063013_4b492c7474_b.jpg

And my favourite, my son on my shoulders!
    28812862871_6a36183730_b.jpg

So I learnt that you don't need a telescope and a drive mount to take decent Astrophotography pics, but I'd like that to be my next step.

Clear skies!

:)

Advertisement