Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental income

• 12-08-2016 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

I have 2 rental properties for which I receive €22,230 in rent for the year (so tax would be about €9000 + USC). Would I be entitled to tax relief on mortgage payments, and by approximately how much my tax would be reduced?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

tmccar wrote: »
    I have 2 rental properties for which I receive €22,230 in rent for the year (so tax would be about €9000 + USC). Would I be entitled to tax relief on mortgage payments, and by approximately how much my tax would be reduced?

75% of the mortgage interest would reduce your income. So if mortgage interest interest is €10,000 you are taxed (and usc/prsied) on €7,500 less income.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭tmccar

Thanks for that info. And if it had not been claimed for a few years, could I claim it this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Thanks for that info. And if it had not been claimed for a few years, could I claim it this year?

You could file amended returns for the previous years. You can't just claim it all this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Read this:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it70.html

There are other deductions available, as well as mortgage interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭tmccar

That's great, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

75% of the mortgage interest would reduce your income. So if mortgage interest interest is €10,000 you are taxed (and usc/prsied) on €7,500 less income.

The restriction to 75% of mortgage income as a deduction against rental income only applies to residential properties, and the deduction is only allowable if the tenancies are registered with the PRTB (whose fees are allowable). If, however, the tenant is on rent supplement, or if the rent is payable by a local authority, the landlord can apply to Revenue for a revision after three years to claim 100% relief for mortgage interest.

If the properties are commercial, 100% of the mortgage interest is allowable.

From what I've seen, the majority of people who do their own tax returns for rental income tend to get it wrong and often not in their own favour, (ie. they tend to not deduct allowable expenses from the gross rental income and hardly ever claim capital allowances). Given that you want to revise four years, you might consider putting it into the hands of a professional...whose fees are allowable as a deduction too by the way :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭john1963

exaisle wrote: »
    The restriction to 75% of mortgage income as a deduction against rental income only applies to residential properties, and the deduction is only allowable if the tenancies are registered with the PRTB (whose fees are allowable). If, however, the tenant is on rent supplement, or if the rent is payable by a local authority, the landlord can apply to Revenue for a revision after three years to claim 100% relief for mortgage interest.

If the properties are commercial, 100% of the mortgage interest is allowable.

From what I've seen, the majority of people who do their own tax returns for rental income tend to get it wrong and often not in their own favour, (ie. they tend to not deduct allowable expenses from the gross rental income and hardly ever claim capital allowances). Given that you want to revise four years, you might consider putting it into the hands of a professional...whose fees are allowable as a deduction too by the way :-)

jjust curious, what do you mean by capital allowances. I put new windows into my rental but I understood I could not claim this as an expense
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How did you manage to become a landlord with two properties and fail to do any research on taxes or of fail to get a decent accountant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭relax carry on

john1963 wrote: »
    jjust curious, what do you mean by capital allowances. I put new windows into my rental but I understood I could not claim this as an expense
    thanks

Please have a read.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it70.html

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭lbyrne121

Hi sorry to take over this thread but would someone be able to help me

I work in Northern Ireland but live in the republic and I am considering renting out my property,
    Does anyone know what my rental income tax bill would be to the Republic of Ireland.

I am paid 35,000 per year, receive 8,400 in rental income?

I will be registering with the PRTB would I be entitled to tax relief of interest for mortgage?

I would really appreciate if someone could help me out with these calculations.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Go and see an accountant. Their fees are tax deductible and from what I've seen here, they're bound to save you at least some tax.....

Advertisement