Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pre workout shakes

• 12-08-2016 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

Do they help give you motivation and energy ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Do they help give you motivation and energy ?

Beta alanine will make your skin tingle, so that might motivate some people :)
    And the caffeine will get you going. But generally a waste of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you don't want to workout, it won't motivate you to and it'll just be pre.

If you haven't the energy to workout, sort out your diet and sleep first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I generally give myself a good auld shake to loosen out before a workout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

They are a waste of money. Just having a coffee before a workout works just fine or a banana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Thanks for the info. I won't bother with it so if it's no good.

I'm way too tired to workout alot of the time, must be my diet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

How much sleep do you get?

(On a side note, I have a friend who started gymming recently. She's quite skinny and doesn't eat much, and I've been trying to convince her to eat more food to capitalise on the work she's putting in, but she insists she doesn't need it. I think she's paranoid about getting 'too big', but won't really talk about it. Recently she showed me a tub of some rip-off BCAA mix that she got for pre-workout that some gombeen in a shop told her to buy, because, it turns out, she's constantly out of energy while working out. Well duh. Eat more food, dammit!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Food, fluids and a strong mind will make a tired body do what it doesn't want to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Thanks for the info. I won't bother with it so if it's no good.

I'm way too tired to workout alot of the time, must be my diet

Listen to this podcast by Danny Lennon. He is talking with an expert on sleep. Download the podcast and listen to it on the way to work or wherever. It is essential listening for anyone, especially someone who says they are too tired to workout.

http://sigmanutrition.com/episode61/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MD1990 wrote: »
    They are a waste of money. Just having a coffee before a workout works just fine or a banana.
    I drink coffee everyday. I like coffee. But it's not cheap. If all I was after was the caffeine, then cheap caffeine powder would probably be more cost effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

I don't eat healthy tbh and I don't get enough sleep with work. For me to get 8 hours I'd need to be in bed by 10 ha

Is there specific foods that give out good energy ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I don't eat healthy tbh and I don't get enough sleep with work. For me to get 8 hours I'd need to be in bed by 10 ha

Well, maybe go to bed at 10 then?

I found the single biggest thing that improved my energy/training was probably when I prioritised sleep consistently - making sure I get 7-8 hours every night even if it means going to be early. I still get the odd session when I am tired/everything feels heavy and I have to drop back a bit, but I think you'll probably always get days like that with all teh other factors going on work/life etc.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

going against the grain here.

firstly most pre-workouts are sh1te and I'm not a huge fan of them.

I have found one or two I think are decent and they have made a big improvement. I train at 6am so I get up at 5.30 and I train fasted..
    However I don't use them very day - cardio and light days like arms only day I wouldn;t bother or at weekends when I train in the afternoon and i've eaten and been up a while.

coffee doesn't seem to do much for me or any amount of water etc...also I'm not brewing fresh coffee at 5.45am when I'm on a tight schedule and instant doesn't have the same buzz.
    sleep is not an issue as I'm in bed at 9.15 and lights out 9.30 - 10 most nights.

this is what I use at the moment and it also has bcaas included which is decent. and why I picked it and it's a decent price.

http://www.discountsupplements.ie/supreme-nutrition/supreme-nutrition-pre-igniter-20-500g-20-off

a personal choice is that I only take 1/3 dose pre workout and drink the rest during the workout.

Personally I have learned over the years that talk is cheap on the net and there is a certain stance against supplements on certain forums- not entire misplaced but sometimes it can be a bit dogmatic.

follow your heart or something cheesy like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You can't cheat the system. You have your answer: you eat badly and you sleep badly. That is why you have no energy and no amount of special foods or supplements is going to fix that. You're like a guy banging himself in the head with a hammer and asking everyone if they know any tricks for getting rid of head pain.

Go to bed at 10. I remember when I made the decision to force myself to get proper sleep every night, and I actually found myself sitting in work, in a great mood with plenty of energy and I said to myself "So this is what life is supposed to feel like..."

Nothing will screw up your fitness efforts or your quality of life like sleeping badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭rondog

I use Honey stinger energy bars or the chocolate bars they have with added caffeine and sugar.

I cant palate coffee for some reason so the bars give me a nice boost and a little kick to get a solid workout done.PLus they are very convenient and don't have all the added Bull crap that are in some pre work out supps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Years ago, when it was new on the market, I tried taking a Nitric Oxide supplement called Xplode, the Nutrition X version of BSN's NO Xplode. Basically a Nitric Oxide supplement which high levels of stimulants in it such as caffeine, taurine, among others. It certainly did work from a training perspective, gave me an intense focus when I trained, the type of intensity that can be difficult to get naturally when you are not really feeling it. At the time, my diet wouldn't have been great and I was very much living the work hard, play harder lifestyle with a bit of training thrown in - I would say the results of the product probably appeared better than they actually were, in that they helped me train in spite of living a pretty unhealthy lifestyle.

Despite the positive effects, there were some drawbacks - I found that unless I took this before about 3pm, it would make sleeping that night very difficult. Also, I remember coming down with a lot of colds when I was taking it. As I said, the lifestyle at the time wasn't great and adding in lots of stimulants to power through training sessions made it worse from a health perspective. Basically any gains I made when taking the pre workouts were nullified by weeks out of the gym due to illness. This really enforced the following point to me in principal (took a bit longer in practice:p): You need to get your lifestyle in order (including nutrition, sleep, alcohol consumption & partying) if you want to accomplish your training goals. There are no sustainable shortcuts that will overcome this, only temporary shortcuts that may or may not work in the short term. Hope that helps!!

My mate had a very similar experience.He used that Nxplode or whatever it was called.The thing is sometimes your body is tired and you should listen to it.These stimulants can override your body senses and you can push yourself and compromise your immune system.

My mate used this supo a lot even on days he was shattered,his training suffered and he was hit with successive viruses which made him miss a lot of training.

He nows uses what I use ,honey stringer bars with a bit of added caffeine and its all he uses these days.No viruses and consistent training due to not pushing his body beyond what it wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

rondog wrote: »
    My mate had a very similar experience.He used that Nxplode or whatever it was called.The thing is sometimes your body is tired and you should listen to it.These stimulants can override your body senses and you can push yourself and compromise your immune system.

My mate used this supo a lot even on days he was shattered,his training suffered and he was hit with successive viruses which made him miss a lot of training.

He nows uses what I use ,honey stringer bars with a bit of added caffeine and its all he uses these days.No viruses and consistent training due to not pushing his body beyond what it wants.

Do you sell honey stringer bars?

Wish I did,it would save me a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

coffee and better music ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Here's the best pre-workout shake known to man:

A cup of fresh brewed coffee.

• Advertisement

sozbox wrote: »

Espresso coffee > Brewed coffee imo

Yup, I've become a coffee snob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Ive tried god knows how many of them, i can remember at the beginning, if I hadnt pushed myself hard enough, I would be coming down fairly hard afterwards. I even tried making my own, tasted like piss but there was some kick. I feel though that I built up a tollerance to them as they became a staple part of my routine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

sozbox wrote: »

I dono I've heard meth has a pretty hard kick to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I took the MyProtein pre-workout for a while and found it made a massive difference. I don't drink coffee, and never have, so obviously the caffeine in it had a big impact on me. I gave it up recently as most times I took it would be after work and found it was affecting my sleep

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I dono I've heard meth has a pretty hard kick to it.

If I've learned anything from Breaking Bad, it's that meth is 'meh' with a 't'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

If I've learned anything from Breaking Bad, it's that meth is 'meh' with a 't'.

:D

Maybe its methamphetamines... Is there a difference? I dono whichever one that formula of Jack3d basically was.

Maybe its methamphetamines... Is there a difference? I dono whichever one that formula of Jack3d basically was.

DMAA (dimethylamylamine) was in Jack 3D. I think it was originally used as a replacement for ephedrine in pre-workouts and 'fat-burners'.

That's still crystal meth. Walter White stuff.
    It wasn't in Jack3d.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Mellor wrote: »
    Espresso coffee > Brewed coffee imo

Yup, I've become a coffee snob

I use freshly grounded beans, roasted locally and a Moka pot. Workouts aren't an issue after a cup :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Of course Pre-workouts work you just have to believe, for when you wish upon a star it doesn't matter who you are something something something something dreams come true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭jennyjoy

The right pre workout with good ingredients can definitely give you added energy! I usually use it if I am feeling more fatigued than usual or have been adding more weight and my muscles are a bit laggy. This one has been a good pre workout for me- https://www.beachbody.com/product/supplements/energize-pre-workout-formula.do and there aren't really any obscure ingredients like some. I also feel like making sure you have enough water in you to begin with is a very important starting point for any workout.

I see a lot of people mentioning they use coffee as their 'pre workout' and I would highly suggest staying away from that. It causes dehydration and could be dangerous when you exerting a ton of energy and sweat.

jennyjoy wrote: »
    It causes dehydration and could be dangerous when you exerting a ton of energy and sweat.

No it doesn't. That's a common myth.

Caffeine is a diuretic. But this is offset by the water in the coffee itself. Same with tea. It's net hydrating overall. Even if it wasn't, you should drink water anyway.

FYI, the product you linked to contains caffeine also.

Advertisement