Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedging

Options
  • 12-08-2016 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I had red robin in a previous garden planted near enough together ..after a few years I found it was always a bit ' gappy' I have an area now about 9/10 feet .. I was thinking of planting them now again just around a patio .I have a green hedge one side ... Someone mentioned to me that you can now get a " bushy" red robin that's ideal for a hedge .anyone know of this ,please

Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

No gardeners?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭StopWatch

My honest opinion is that red robin Is not a plant for hedging, despite its popularity in Ireland. It's just not going to fill in. There are a tonne of alternatives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

No gardeners?

No Google?

http://tinyurl.com/zpxgsrp

And just in case even that is not enough try hit #4. :rolleyes:

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    No Google?

http://tinyurl.com/zpxgsrp

And just in case even that is not enough try hit #4. :rolleyes:

I have Google thks. I was specifically looking for advice on red robin ..and in particular if anyone knew of the bushy variety I read about on a gardeners supplement. Thks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Can't help you I am afraid, I only know of one red robin, that is the usual one. You make it bushy by cutting it back repeatedly till it grows lots of side shoots then keep trimming it. Maybe there is another one that does this more enthusiastically, but I don't know of it.

People are afraid of cutting bushes back for hedging, they grow them to the final size they want before trimming them, then wonder why they are straggly looking.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Can't help you I am afraid, I only know of one red robin, that is the usual one. You make it bushy by cutting it back repeatedly till it grows lots of side shoots then keep trimming it. Maybe there is another one that does this more enthusiastically, but I don't know of it.

People are afraid of cutting bushes back for hedging, they grow them to the final size they want before trimming them, then wonder why they are straggly looking.

Do you know of any hedge that will just grow to maybe 5/6 foot .that has a flower In it or bit of colour / nice scent .. evergreen preferred it just for one side of a patio...ground damp..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Future Forests do a fabulous Irish Fruiting Hedge mix, not expensive and makes a wonderful hedge that provides berries and seeds for birds and is colourful and gorgeous.

http://www.futureforests.net/br_mix_hedging.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 emmetdoc1991

there are a number of hedges that you could put in,

Portuguese laurel would be a particular good one, nice hedge, deep green colour and grows pretty dense,

Bought some from a nursery in Donegal few months back,
    good quality, very reasonable consider that they delivered them,

Think they were only 2 euro each they are really well developed in 2 litre pots/compared with 6 or 7 euro in Dublin in places!!

they actually give you a little fertiliser for free too!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 emmetdoc1991

they are about 1.5 to 3 ft...

But they grow about a foot a year, mines went in, in march they've already gained a foot in height,

Advertisement