Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old alarm fault

Options
  • 12-08-2016 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Looking for some help with a house alarm, I recently moved into a house owned by a relative the alarm system is 20 years old and about five years ago I recived a call asking would I have a look as the alarm was going off all day, I pulled a fuse out of the main panel to turn it off and nothing has been done since.

Now that I am living in the house I would like to try and get it back up and running for peace of mind, I put the fuse back in yesturday and sure enough the alarm started going off, I checked the keypad and there was no sign of life.

I am an electrician by trade although not working in the domestic sector so am thinking of starting by checking all cables and pirs and maybe putting in connectors for now? I will post some details of the make and pictures later, another issue I will have to chase up is the alarm code may be forgotten at this stage! Any input or advise much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If it's powering up with nothing from the keypad, check all the connections and the keypad fuse.
    After that check the 12vdc power is going to the keypad.
    When you post up the make and model we can help you some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

thanks for the reply here are some pictures

Pic
    minzabud wrote: »
    thanks for the reply here are some pictures

Diagram
    minzabud wrote: »
    Pic

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yeah that is what I though it would be. A CS350.
    start your trouble shooting as I said above.

• Advertisement

Not sure if the picture of the diagram is clear but I have disconnected terminals 4,5,6,7 to stop the alarm sounding and put the main fuse back in, all fuses in the panel are good and there is power going to the keypad but no sign of life at the keypad, I can't see any fuses in the keypad either.

What voltage are you getting at the keypad?
    Should be just over 13vdc.
    After that try connect the keypad directly to the panel on a short length of cable. Also try switch the AB connection on the keypad into aux +&-.

KoolKid wrote: »
    What voltage are you getting at the keypad?
    Should be just over 13vdc.
    After that try connect the keypad directly to the panel on a short length of cable. Also try switch the AB connection on the keypad into aux +&-.

I've got 13.75 at the keypad, I have taken 12 and 13 and wired into 2 and 3 still nothing happening at the pad doesn't look like there's any damage to the board at the keypad either, the keypad is ten metres from the main panel so i will have to get some cat 5 to try that.

Not sounding good tbh. Where are you located?.
    I have a few old keypads if you want to try one.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Not sounding good tbh. Where are you located?.
    I have a few old keypads if you want to try one.

Thanks for your help KoolKid I suspect there may not much I can do from my end, if it can be repaired without costing too much I'd be willing to have it repaired, I'm in Drogheda by the way.

• Advertisement

It sounds like it's either the panel or the keypad.
    If an old keypad gets it going your welcome to one. Those panels are obsolete, so after that it would be a new panel and keypad at the very least.

Just a quick message to say this issue has been resolved and thanks to KoolKid for going above and beyond to help me out.

Advertisement