Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline thread 12/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

boggerman1 wrote: »
    The irish establishment really doesn't like when one of their own is banged up and caught with their pants down.the past few days has seen the pr machinery go into over drive about poor hickey been humiliated on camera.sickening stuff from them.we don't do that here etc,etc.

And the thing is that they are so massively out of touch that they can't realise that they have no backing from the ordinary people of this country. Every person I've spoken to has no sympathy with Hickey. Yes, let there be due process, but very few are clamouring for him to be freed or put under house arrest.

The "frail" Pat Hickey seems to be capable of flying to several overseas conferences and sports events, in Rio it was 35 C heat, he wouldn't be complaining if he hadn't of been locked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭bigroad

Did duffy get offered a free ticket or something ,he is like a dog with a bone.
    Can we get an e mail for the police comissioner in Rio to clear up that the Duffy fool is not speaking for the Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Last week: "Pat Hickey a 71 year old man. A fit and healthy man I should say"

This week: "Do you regret filming this 71 old man in distress"

The fact that this man gets paid the salary he does to spout his agenda on a daily basis is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Will the podcast be edited to remove Brendan's corruption medals joke?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Love the twitter responses, surely RTE will have to address it, it was so out of order

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

pc7 wrote: »
    Love the twitter responses, surely RTE will have to address it, it was so out of order

The worst thing was it wasn't even live- so they had time to edit it and decide it was good enough to go on air....saps

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Red Kev wrote: »
    And the thing is that they are so massively out of touch that they can't realise that they have no backing from the ordinary people of this country. Every person I've spoken to has no sympathy with Hickey. Yes, let there be due process, but very few are clamouring for him to be freed or put under house arrest.

The "frail" Pat Hickey seems to be capable of flying to several overseas conferences and sports events, in Rio it was 35 C heat, he wouldn't be complaining if he hadn't of been locked up.

That is very true. I mean, I don't really trust the Rio police, they do seem heavy handed to me. But they are really showing up the Irish system and that is why you have people like Joe clamouring to say what is happening to Hickey is wrong.

The media, the politicians, many PR strategists are massively out of touch with Irish people. The recession, the bailout, education, social media have all made their impact and we are less likely to swallow the party line anymore.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Just sent my email there, I'm sure I'll get the usual response from Aonghus.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Maybe the wife thought the cops were looking for Michael O'Reilly and said he was gone back to ireland would make more sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Couldn't believe when Joe went all Donald Trump by shouting... You have a gun, whoy didn't you......

Good timing too, so nobody could balance things up..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Oooooh, sarcasm. I like it.

ButtersSuki, I was not trying to be sarcastic!
    (sorry if it came out that way)

What I meant was it would irk Duffy more to see his name in print in the Times than a complaint he can just ignore and hide away from.

I meant do both to teach him some manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

You can actually have two valid Irish passports. One is known as a business passport.

They'll give you a second passport if you travel frequently in the Middle East. Lots of countries won't let you in if you have an Israeli visa in your passport

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Whats the chances of PBH in the hot seat tomorrow after St Joes interrogation??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

Missed this today but heard about all the noise on the street! What time will the montrose cartel podcast the sounds of this unbelievable horror show?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

They'll give you a second passport if you travel frequently in the Middle East. Lots of countries won't let you in if you have an Israeli visa in your passport

Not just that, there are a number of scenarios. If your passport has to go into an embassy for a visa is another reason.

Some also use one just for business and just for leisure and keep visas separate.

I worked in this area for a few years and was actually discussed on the show:D

M

Whats the chances of PBH in the hot seat tomorrow after St Joes interrogation??

Joe probably gets tomorrow off as Time In Lieu for pre recording and researching todays "interview".

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Ian O'Doherty
    @ian_odoherty

Jesus, Joe Duffy excelling himself on @Liveline_RTE.The most absurd broadcaster in Ireland making a complete fool of himself. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

vicwatson wrote: »
    Waste of your time, RTE are like the gestapo

"Jizztapo" as Joe calls them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

He wasn't reading from the front page of a newspaper, he mentioned gold medals in corruption that Ireland got, what paper(s) was that in?

I have asked them, nothing back from them yet

• Advertisement
    M

https://soundcloud.com/rte-radio-1/liveline-mrs-browns-boys#t=24:20

Brendan...
    You want to see the coverage it's getting over here, they have us with a gold, 2 silver and a bronze in corruption :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Will the podcast be edited to remove Brendan's corruption medals joke?

Its not as much the joke. It was Joes clarification at the end of the show that he had read it from a paper. Will that make the edit?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

pc7 wrote: »

Bwah ha ha ha ha.

it was probably mandated by em !

the establishment are NOT happy with one of their own in pokey. expect MORE of this - from ALL channels- if anything.

M

It makes the Journal but comments closed for legal reasons...

http://www.thejournal.ie/pat-hickey-rio-arrest-2947701-Aug2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

It makes the Journal but comments closed for legal reasons...

http://www.thejournal.ie/pat-hickey-rio-arrest-2947701-Aug2016/

am in the only one reading that subconsciously changing yer mans name to "falconi" ?

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

For the first time ever, I've just banged off a complaint to RTE. I decided to wait an hour, to cool down, but I was still furious - and I now await a reply.

I wish to add my name to what must be a long line of complainants, in respect of the disgraceful behaviour of Joe Duffy earlier this afternoon. His shouting, bullying and attitude towards a Brazilian policeman was stunning in its viciousness, yet somewhat comical in its lack of studied preparation. Does he have a particular agenda in this ticket fiasco? Please also reassure me that he was NOT suggesting that the policeman draw his gun on those media people who were present at the arrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

For the first time ever, I've just banged off a complaint to RTE. I decided to wait an hour, to cool down, but I was still furious - and I now await a reply.

I wish to add my name to what must be a long line of complainants, in respect of the disgraceful behaviour of Joe Duffy earlier this afternoon. His shouting, bullying and attitude towards a Brazilian policeman was stunning in its viciousness, yet somewhat comical in its lack of studied preparation. Does he have a particular agenda in this ticket fiasco? Please also reassure me that he was NOT suggesting that the policeman draw his gun on those media people who were present at the arrest.

Just received this:

Thank you for contacting complaints@rte.ie.

If your email is a complaint in respect of a breach of RTÉ Guidelines, Broadcasting Authority of Ireland codes, or the Broadcasting Act 2009, it will be entered into the RTÉ Complaints Process approved by the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland and you will receive a response within twenty working days.

If your email is feedback or comment on an RTÉ broadcast, it will be forwarded to RTÉ Feedback and noted in the weekly diary of observations from viewers and listeners which is circulated to all senior editorial and managerial executives including the Director-General.

Thank you for taking the trouble to write to RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ian O'Doherty ‏@ian_odoherty
    Ian O'Doherty

It was brilliant. Duffy sounded like an Irish tourist getting annoyed when the locals can't speaky the lingo

Dear Sir or Madam,

On today's episode of Liveline on RTE Radio 1, Joe Duffy interviewed Brazilian Police Commissioner Aloysio Falcao regarding the recent arrest in Rio de Janeiro of Patrick Hickey of the International Olympic Committee.

I found the tone of Joe Duffy's questioning to be inappropriate, and at times rude towards the Commissioner who had obliged listeners to RTE with his time. The interview was at times uncomfortable to listen to for this reason, and I doubt that many listeners endorse Mr Duffy's discourteous approach. I sincerely hope that RTE does not condone such inappropriate treatment of any police Commissioner, whether in Ireland or in Brazil.

The main focus of my complaint, however, is the bizarre implication made by Joe Duffy during this interview that Commissioner Falcao should have threatened the media with his firearm, in ordering the media to leave the scene of Mr Hickey's arrest.

This is a grotesque implication to be made by a member of the Irish media. I would remind Mr Duffy and RTE that media oversight of the criminal and judicial process can be an important safeguard for witnesses and suspects in monitoring fairness and balance at the hands of the Police. To imply, as Mr Duffy did, that the Media should be threatened with a firearm for doing their duty is unacceptable.

In this regard, I refer you to the Principle of Respect for Persons and Groups in Society under the Code of Programme Standards (hereinafter 'the Code') by the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland, specifically as it relates to the interest of freedom of the Media.

I refer you also to the Principle of Protection of the Public Interest under the Code, specifically as it may relate to the promotion of violence.

Furthermore, although he criticised the Brazilian Police for disclosing aspects of the Police investigation and making available to the Media various personal details pertaining to Mr Hickey, Mr Duffy himself repeatedly sought details from Commissioner Falcao on aspects of the criminal investigation, and the Commissioner's opinion on Mr Hickey's house arrest; and on the nationality and validity of Mr Hickey's second passport.

In this regard, I refer you to S. 42(2)(d) of the Broadcasting Act 2009, which relates to the unreasonable encroachment on the privacy of individuals; and I refer you to the Principle of Respect for Privacy under the BAI Code.

Kind regards,

• Advertisement
    M

Its not as much the joke. It was Joes clarification at the end of the show that he had read it from a paper. Will that make the edit?

Up in full which is nice to so speak :pac:...

@ about 1.16 in...
    Joe: And eh 1850 715 continues, em by the way Brendan O'Carroll was reading from the front page of eh The American Newspapers and he did say as we said again and again whether people like it or not that the people mentioned from Ireland are eh subject to alegations...

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/#2268541

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement