Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline thread 12/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Up in full which is nice to so speak :pac:...

@ about 1.16 in...
    Joe: And eh 1850 715 continues, em by the way Brendan O'Carroll was reading from the front page of eh The American Newspapers and he did say as we said again and again whether people like it or not that the people mentioned from Ireland are eh subject to alegations...

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/#2268541

Still waiting for an answer on which paper

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Did he call Joe or did Joe call him?
    size-810-16-9-aloysio-11452695903.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

Red Kev wrote: »
    Hands up who has no issue with Hickey being arrested.

564570276_65929f5968_z.jpg?zz=1

Hey Kev - don't forget about us over here...

http://www.wpgpho.to/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/IMG_0012-1200x799.jpg

Hands.jpg

"fillum" x 100

Joe Duffy interrogates Río Policeman Aloysio Falcão https://clyp.it/4io54vzg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i take it one of the reasons joe went off on one is its funny friday tomorrow and as such doesnt have to deal with his bollocksology.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Still waiting for an answer on which paper

"The American Newspapers", I'd say you will be waiting for him to say which specific ones :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,856 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I only skimmed the thread today but have now downloaded the podcast so to speak. I'm only over four minutes in and lads the reaction in the thread doesn't even do it justice. I know we give out about joe being unprofessional over the years but lads this might top it.

Joe pat hickey didn't get arrested in Ireland he got arrested in Brazil which is a different country.

Alright joe duffy you are an utter asshole:mad: :mad::mad:

Well that's put me in a shocking mood so to speak. I won't bother with the brendan O'Carroll portion.

• Advertisement

Ah brendan O'Carroll love in. Is it a bit premature of the radio times to vote on the best sitcom of the 21st Century only sixteen years into that century.

Oh great willy jokes. Good man brendan and joe laughing like an gob****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

The worst thing was it wasn't even live- so they had time to edit it and decide it was good enough to go on air....saps

Under Joe's control, I assume.
    "Oh, yes; let's put it out like dat, dat makes me sound important, so it does, and I'm really putting him on de spot, so I am, I tell ye now."
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭iamnotme

I don't usually listen back to the show if I missed it, but having seen the comments here I thought I would. The arrogance of him. As a comment above said, just when you thought he couldn't get any dumber. If anyone had asked me before today how i felt about Duffy, I would have said I despised the phony. It's just gone way beyond that. Taken me ten minutes to write this while moderating my language.

It makes the Journal but comments closed for legal reasons...

http://www.thejournal.ie/pat-hickey-rio-arrest-2947701-Aug2016/

Where 'legal' = 'chickenshyt'.
    They're not closed on Broadsheet :)
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/08/25/enhanced-interrogation/#comment-1663023

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

So Joe wanted armed police to threaten the media by pointing their guns at them, he also seemed to struggle with the concept that what is not a crime in Ireland might be a crime somewhere else.

Joe's levels of self importance went up a few notches with that interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Twitter is still pretty active about it, genuinely don't remember such a reaction to anything the mentaller done before, and that's saying something.

And it's not just us plebs, journalists, a politician or two and other social commentators have commented on his stupidity.

There's loads tweeting the Federal Police account apologising for Duffy and saying he doesn't represent what the Irish people think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

I was surprised that Brendan O'Carroll was taking such prestige out of that award. I thought he would have been a bit more grounded about the thing, and realised that the magazine readers obviously have a sense of humour themselves. In the same way that the Irish voters did when we voted Dustin in to the Eurovision.

Brendan sounded like he was beginning to believe the hype, that he really was the writer of a modern day "Fawlty Towers", and that he truly was an exceptionally gifted comedy writer. In the same way that Pinnochio began to think that he was a real boy, and Keith Duffy started to believe that he was a real singer.

I was surprised that Brendan O'Carroll was taking such prestige out of that award. I thought he would have been a bit more grounded about the thing, and realised that the magazine readers obviously have a sense of humour themselves. In the same way that the Irish voters did when we voted Dustin in to the Eurovision.

Brendan sounded like he was beginning to believe the hype, that he really was the writer of a modern day "Fawlty Towers", and that he truly was an exceptionally gifted comedy writer. In the same way that Pinnochio began to think that he was a real boy, and Keith Duffy started to believe that he was a real singer.

Or that Joe Duffy really, already, truly believes he's a hard-hitting, serious journalist and author of note.

Here's a great Life Tip. Never believe your own bullshyt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

The main thing about the interview with the police chief is the level of self indulgence by Duffy. Liveline is supposed to be a programme where we, the people,ed can ring in and air our opinions and grievances. Duffy used the interview and the programme to further some personal objective of his, which is looking increasingly likely that he wants Pat Hickey declared innocent, without any formal process and Hickey returned to Ireland.

There was no interaction between the listeners and the police chief and it was a segment that has nothing to do with the format of the programme. An interview like that has a place in Morning Ireland, Sean O'Rourke, News at One, Drivetime or many other programmes, but not this one.

Why he was allowed to abuse the format of Liveline to further his own personal agenda in such a blatant way is a question that RTE heads needs to answer. We don't pay our fees to listen to egoists indulge themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I didn't hear any radio today. Looks like I missed a cracker. I'm going to listen to the podcast before it's pulled.

Back after these.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Dear Sir or Madam,

On today's episode of Liveline on RTE Radio 1, Joe Duffy interviewed Brazilian Police Commissioner Aloysio Falcao regarding the recent arrest in Rio de Janeiro of Patrick Hickey of the International Olympic Committee.

I found the tone of Joe Duffy's questioning to be inappropriate, and at times rude towards the Commissioner who had obliged listeners to RTE with his time. The interview was at times uncomfortable to listen to for this reason, and I doubt that many listeners endorse Mr Duffy's discourteous approach. I sincerely hope that RTE does not condone such inappropriate treatment of any police Commissioner, whether in Ireland or in Brazil.

The main focus of my complaint, however, is the bizarre implication made by Joe Duffy during this interview that Commissioner Falcao should have threatened the media with his firearm, in ordering the media to leave the scene of Mr Hickey's arrest.

This is a grotesque implication to be made by a member of the Irish media. I would remind Mr Duffy and RTE that media oversight of the criminal and judicial process can be an important safeguard for witnesses and suspects in monitoring fairness and balance at the hands of the Police. To imply, as Mr Duffy did, that the Media should be threatened with a firearm for doing their duty is unacceptable.

In this regard, I refer you to the Principle of Respect for Persons and Groups in Society under the Code of Programme Standards (hereinafter 'the Code') by the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland, specifically as it relates to the interest of freedom of the Media.

I refer you also to the Principle of Protection of the Public Interest under the Code, specifically as it may relate to the promotion of violence.

Furthermore, although he criticised the Brazilian Police for disclosing aspects of the Police investigation and making available to the Media various personal details pertaining to Mr Hickey, Mr Duffy himself repeatedly sought details from Commissioner Falcao on aspects of the criminal investigation, and the Commissioner's opinion on Mr Hickey's house arrest; and on the nationality and validity of Mr Hickey's second passport.

In this regard, I refer you to S. 42(2)(d) of the Broadcasting Act 2009, which relates to the unreasonable encroachment on the privacy of individuals; and I refer you to the Principle of Respect for Privacy under the BAI Code.

Kind regards,

Excellent piece of writing, very skilled.

Now fire off a copy of that to the national Newspapers. This needs to get a bit of momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭furiousox

Shameful show today, totally self-serving.
    That interview was pre-recorded, I'd say the lazy fecker was out the door at 2.45!
    It seems, at least, he's totally humiliated himself with the Brazilian interview.

CPL 593H

Red Kev wrote: »
    The main thing about the interview with the police chief is the level of self indulgence by Duffy. Liveline is supposed to be a programme where we, the people,ed can ring in and air our opinions and grievances. Duffy used the interview and the programme to further some personal objective of his, which is looking increasingly likely that he wants Pat Hickey declared innocent, without any formal process and Hickey returned to Ireland.
    It wasn't even the only time Duffy did it in today's episode. We've all been talking about the Police Commissioner, but Duffy was equally on a personal crusade in defending the man who holds the only key to Duffy's 'acting' career, Brendan O'Carroll.

I happen to like Brendan O'Carroll, and I don't have strong opinions about his show. But Joe Duffy's sycophantic 'rescue' of O'Carroll was both unnecessary and irrelevant to public opinion. Unnecessary because Brendan O'Carroll did not seem remotely offended by the newspaper articles in question, nor it seemed, had he even read them. And irrelevant because nobody is talking about this on the street in Bantry or Bundoran. Nobody cares.

If Joe wants his soapbox, let him have it. But to pretend that he is broadcasting 'listener-driven', 'unedited', 'unfiltered' public megaphone is just a pisstake at this stage.

Duffy was more upset about the newspaper review than O'Carroll himself. It was bizarre, Duffy, man o'de celebrity.

"It's nodda crime. It's nodda crime. It's nodda crime."

Fillum fillum fillum

The more I think about it, the more it seems like satire. A radio 'presenter' on state radio advocating the use of guns to a police force to intimidate journalists to leave a scene where they aren't breaking any laws being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Owryan wrote: »
    So Joe wanted armed police to threaten the media by pointing their guns at them, he also seemed to struggle with the concept that what is not a crime in Ireland might be a crime somewhere else.

Joe's levels of self importance went up a few notches with that interview.

I think it was Gerry Adams who made a joke, faux pas, about shooting journos earlier this year and all and sundry in the political, media and pc world demanded apologies and retractions. And rightly so.

I also recall the murder of Veronica Guerin being brought back up and also the threat on democracy from such acts.

In light of Joe's antics today perhaps the same sort of apology and retraction should be forthcoming from RTE to those journalists in Brazil.

• Advertisement

I just listened back. What an obnoxious man. After the first sentence of each answer the policeman tried to quaify what he said but the duffoon didn't want to listen. speaking over him all the time with his sneery tone.
    If I was the Commissioner I'd have hung up on him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement