Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline thread 12/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I will pour gas lighter fluid over my balls and let Joe light it if that press release WASN'T prepared by The Communications Clinic.

And what colour are your balls caller?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    RTE conveniently avoiding their own littlte Liveline Earthquake on the week in review now.

Which is so duplicitous as they'll often have completely un-newsworthy items from de show as highlights such as "Mary in Clontarf was reunited with a pair of socks that were stolen from her washing line in 1982 all thanks to Joe who asked the thief to leave them outside a presbytery. They were recovered a short time later in Killester".

Red Kev wrote: »

They're steel coloured.

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    I do hope the locals got there in time before all the refreshments were gone, scoffed by a the gannets.

Wonder how much he charged for the gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Came on especially to wonder if Joe's hatchet job interview would feature on Playback - but see I've been beaten to it!

Finger is poised on the "off" button all the same, just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Heidi. You have to listen to it. As stated above, The transcript doesn't do it justce. You have to hear the tone of his voice.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Heidi. You have to listen to it. As stated above, The transcript doesn't do it justce. You have to hear the tone of his voice.
    I tried, honestly - I heard a bit, and just couldn't bear to listen to any more.

Please don't torture me with any more of it :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    RTE conveniently avoiding their own littlte Liveline Earthquake on the week in review now.

"And there was a big controversy on Liveline this week, that we got an enormous amount of calls about..... Mary, was giving out about the farmers spreading sh1te on the fields":pac::pac:

sligojoek wrote: »

That's true Joe. It's the tone of the loaded questions, and the constant interruptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

He's been well known as a buffoon here for ages but it seems he's exposed himself on a national level now and is being widely ridiculed for the appalling unprofessionalism he displayed during the interview.
    A major broadcasting blunder, and it couldn't happen to a nicer person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Red Kev wrote: »

So to speak :p

He's been well known as a buffoon here for ages but it seems he's exposed himself on a national level now and is being widely ridiculed for the appalling unprofessionalism he displayed during the interview.
    A major broadcasting blunder, and it couldn't happen to a nicer person.

Whoy, whoy, whoy

Oh dear, now there is an investigation in to two Irish athletes who are suspected of putting bets on Olympic sports. Nobody named yet, but apparently the OCI will be investigating it.. lol

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0827/812313-olympic-games-betting/

My god, what a mess.

Hickey Family solicitor NOW on The Marian Finucane Show. Why are RTE giving these people free air time?

Oh dear, now there is an investigation in to two Irish athletes who are suspected of putting bets on Olympic sports. Nobody named yet, but apparently the OCI will be investigating it.. lol

My god, what a mess.

Hickey Family solicitor NOW on The Marian Finucane Show. Why are RTE giving these people free air time?

More "balance" y'know

My god, what a mess.

Ive a feeling these dudes use their fists for sport somehow, boredom probably crept in, only speculation so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

My god, what a mess.

How dare they place a bet on a sport they know something about to "enrich" themselves from the games so to speak, such behaviour by the athletes is not allowed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

My god, what a mess.

Well, at least MF read out all the headlines in the various papers about Pat Hickey which is more than Bobby Kerry did on Newstalk this morning!

Just heard Marian read out two texts from people complaining about the 'unfair' treatment PH is getting. Followed it up by saying that 'it has to be said' that the rest of them are far from supportive. Wonder why she has not read out any of them, seeing as there are so many!!

Bobby Kerr showed about as much neutrality on the issue this morning on Down to Business. I text in regarding it and shock horror it wasn't read out!

I don't buy the Mail on Sunday, but I understand Joe Duffy has an article in that newspaper every Sunday, right?

I might have a free nosey through it in the newsagent's in the morning. It will be interesting to see whether Inspector Doofey mentions the Pat Hickey scandal, or his shambolic interrogation of the Rio Police Commissioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I don't buy the Mail on Sunday, but I understand Joe Duffy has an article in that newspaper every Sunday, right?

I might have a free nosey through it in the newsagent's in the morning. It will be interesting to see whether Inspector Doofey mentions the Pat Hickey scandal, or his shambolic interrogation of the Rio Police Commissioner.

The Stingey Thread is over there... >>>> somewhere. :)
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

All this pupeteering of the media over selling tickets

There must be trying to hide much worse

M

Last year PH was fit as a fiddle so to speak...
    It’s not that he’s aged; he might be 69 now but he’s a fresh and vibrant one, thanks to his frequent workouts in his neighbouring Phoenix Park that help make his appearance approximate to what it was when he was so publicly visible over a decade ago.

As for his own, he loves running through the Phoenix Park four or five times a week. “I couldn’t stay alive without that,” he says. “It clears my head. It’s where I do all my thinking. Christmas Day in the snow, Stephen’s Day, even in the worst despairing moments when McDaid and the world was attacking me, I’d go there.” At home, he likes nothing better than plopping in front of the TV and watching a documentary or a boxset. He watched all of Love/Hate: cue your own quip about comparisons between him and Nidge & Co. He loves films but hasn’t time to watch them in the cinema: instead he waits until he’s on the plane. The last one he watched was the war film Fury. “Brad Pitt was in it. Tough in places but great story.” Everywhere he goes he brings his Kindle. He reads heavily but not heavy material. You might think he’d read the biographies of politicians for insights as to how they rolled but that’s not how he rolls. Thrillers and whodunits are more his thing. Escapism is what he seeks; the brain is tested enough as it is.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/other-sports/the-big-interview-pat-hickey-is-still-the-ringmaster-333682.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I see Chislers of the Rising,the tv show, is getting another airing this Thursday on RTE...anyone for the last few bukes before the government buy what's left, no doubt at full whack, for school libraries

I found it:

Me Weekly Column, by me, Joe Duffy so to speak (with tanks to The Communications Clinic).

De Rio Garda
    So dis week I did speak to a Rio Garda on de phone. He was very clever so to speak as he had at least 3 languages - I heard him do an interview in de Portugeeze, obviously he speaks de Brazilian as he's from Rio and he did speak to me in English. I did start me questions as De Good Cop to make him feel secure and den turned into De Bad Cop to get what I wanted from him. Luggs Brannigan did do de teaching of dat teckneek ta me so to speak.

De Rio Garda did be thinking he was too clever for me though and I soon had him reeling from de killer questions I was doing de asking of so to speak. I axed him over and over again about de filum and de moovie. He did try to answer but I woodn't let him. I woodn't let him finish a sentence because I was always ahead of him in dis game as I'm de bestest at doin' de interviews because I duz be doin' dem everyday. In de end De Rio Garda did concede I was right and dat as Pat Hickey is Irish he should be treated de way dat he wood be treated if he was in Ballyer. De Rio Garda was in tears at de end of the call from de maulin' I did give him, but as I'm a kind man, I cut dat out of de tape and didn't broadcast it.

Please God Pat will be ordering his fillet steak in first class on his BA flight home soon so to speak. God Bless!

Brindin O'Cardle
    I also did speak to me good pal Brindin. His show was voted "de best invention ever of anythink past, present and future (incl. any potential cure for cancer)" and I tink it's only right. If you don't like de show you are obviously just not clever enough to understand it like me.

He also promised me a part in de next moovie for giving him anudder free 20minute ad to promote himself on me show, and he said he has dis new friend Perry who's a tiler in America who'll give me a good deal on having de jax retiled next year. I'm going to plug TileStyle on de show now for a few weeks to get de tiles for free pro gratis too so to speak.

Brindin cracked a brilliant joke on de show too so to speak. Can I tell it here? I will. Be careful now if you have chislers in de vicinity and day might see dis as it's a bit rudey so to speak - he said "WILLY!" lahv on de air. Isn't dat genius? It was a good job I had the braces and de belt on dat day so to speak or de beliies wobblin' from me laffin' wood have caused anudder earthquake in Italy.

Me New Buke
    As yisser all no by now I'm doin' a folly up buke ta me last buke so to speak. it's also about de childers dyin', but dis toyme in de trubbles. If you have any stories of chislers caught up in bombs and doin' de dyin' or losin' limbs or been maimed or been hit by de stray bullets (plastic or ledd so to speak) please do mail dem to me at joe@rte.ie from anywhere in de wurild. I'm especially excited to hear about multiple chislers dyin' in one incident and abour de heartbreak dat did bring to de family.
    Until next week, keep de faith.

Joe now on with Derek Mooney :eek:

Discussing that mad tree sculpture on the coast road in Contaaaaarf.

M

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Joe now on with Derek Mooney :eek:

Discussing that mad tree sculpture on the coast road in Contaaaaarf.

If I was a bookies I wouldn't give anything near evens that he will even show up tomorrow.

M

Liam Collins comment on the Pat Hickey saga in todays Independent, I think the only think he didn't compare him to was the Irish Famine of 1740–41...
    Regardless of whether Pat Hickey is guilty or not, this is about nothing more than tickets for an international sporting event.

He hasn't harmed the hair on one child's head or left a family homeless. He hasn't closed anybody's business down or forced them to emigrate. He hasn't maimed anybody or cheated them out of their inheritance.

Over the past 20 years, we have seen people who presided over kneecapping, bombings, possibly even mass murder, getting direct access to parliaments in Dublin and Belfast.

Yes, I'm talking about the control the IRA army council exerts over Sinn Féin. Yet they are regarded now as pillars of the community because we needed a 'peace process' to get them to desist from their murderous ways.

I see politicians from Fianna Fáil, civil servants and bankers who presided over the financial downfall and humiliation of this country - leading to mass unemployment, emigration, homelessness and even suicide - pronouncing with gravity on national issues, as if none of those events had anything to do with them.

Yet the level of national anger directed at a frail 71-year-old man with a heart condition, who is accused of ticket touting, is breathtaking and out of all proportion.

People who should know better are gloating about the violation of his human rights and taking pleasure in the travesty of Brazilian 'justice', which would not be tolerated if it happened to any other Irish citizen.

On the scale of man's inhumanity to man, ticket touting is, as far as I am concerned, inconsequential.

Killers, crime bosses, charlatans of all sorts are walking around free and easy, yet we reserve our national ire for one man over tickets for a sporting event.

This is not about life or death; it's not about putting people out of their homes, or making orphans out of young children. It's about sporting gratification.

Pat Hickey is not Public Enemy Number One and it is now time that we stopped treating him as if he was.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/liam-collins-time-we-stopped-treating-hickey-as-public-enemy-number-one-35002756.html

Family's solicitor on Pat Kenny now.

M

Fair play to Pat, he's not giving the same easy ride that RTÉ are giving.

• Advertisement
    M

Pat Kenny I had previously thought you were somewhat of a plank, all is now forgiven your the first broadcaster so far to ask the questions on everyones mind and state the facts of the case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement