Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline thread 12/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Ah heeyor, Joe wants to be in the next movie. It was never going to be a fair interview. You could hear the irritation in Joe's voice from the outset.

That said, Teresa did herself no favours either.

Yeah, she probably should have just kept making her point when being interrupted and hoped that she would talk them down. That's difficult for someone with no media experience to do at the best of times though, and even more difficult when faced with two with about a hundred years media work between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Yep, there were a couple of vile people on, but the woman at the end wasn't one of them.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Oh you have to listen back :D

When she first commented that "I made a comment, and Rory took it up the wrong way", I was expecting Mrs Brown to join in with some additional innuendo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

From what I could gather, she was making a fair point.

I read the facebook exchange, and I'll summarise it so nobody else has to read that tripe.....

Thanks for the summary - I thought yer man Rory was making a rather thin argument when he was on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I read the facebook exchange, and I'll summarise it so nobody else has to read that tripe............

. All in all, a fairly dim-witted and febrile affair.

Suited Liveline down to the ground so. :)
    When she first commented that "I made a comment, and Rory took it up the wrong way", I was expecting Mrs Brown to join in with some additional innuendo.

Mrs. Brown: "But don't you always take it up the wrong way son? Naaahahahaha"

• Advertisement

Seems there's a fair few questions being asked about the IAA, the crowd that Rory Cowan did the cycle for. I should point out that there's no way I'd critiscise someone like Rory Cowan for getting involved in fundraising or photo shoots for a group like the IAA, I don't expect him to know the in's and out's of the organisation.

But it's beginning to sound like Console II. BTW, there's plenty of them on there who are very appreciative of what IAA do.

14064222_10207514808931568_18462102551798489_n.jpg?oh=0af6a6bd5a8158f4a69cce06313e64e9&oe=583CBFE9&__gda__=1481602648_e8e3874813b0acac5acaa2f3fe8fe945

https://www.facebook.com/RoryCowanActor/

Jacqueline Moran
    Rory On the 4th August 2016, our online autism support group (Irish Autism Mammys ) met with the ceo (Brian Murnane) of the Irish Autism Action. We are concerned as to where the fund's raised are spent .

We raised a number of questions broken down as follows:

MONEY
    1. Out of your overall donations what per cent goes to the charity?
    2. What commission do volunteers get when they sell wristbands ect
    3. IAA cards why do you charge 20 euro per year and why is no proof of diagnosis needed
    SERVICES
    1. Helpline ? can you explain why many members have phoned and cannot get through or left a message and not recieved a call back?
    2. Is this a part time service and if so why?
    3. The HSE paid therapists €20 per hour for behaviour outreach and IAA would not top it up by €8 per hour. Why not ?
    4. Why couldn't this tiny cost for the tiny number of families be covered through fund raising? Or the 4000 outreach hours, through nestle fundraising? Why weren't families given an opportunity to pay the €8.
    5. Where in the country is behaviour outreach being carried out?
    6. What have you done to help school leavers get a day placement?
    7. If you are only supporting two families what’s the point of the charity?
    8. Why are subsidised services so expensive, how much do therapists actually cost.
    9. Why not use social media to promote awareness of lack of services around the country in a bid to promote change through awareness
    GENERAL QUESTIONS
    1. Why did IAA never answer the letter from DR Mickey Keenan which was sent on multiple occasions
    2. Why have IAA not demanded changes in the HSE policy i.e. a check list for ASD being introduced to the childhood development checks.
    3. HSE therapists in the main have no training in sensory integration therapy a vital issue for many of our children. Why have IAA not demanded this be part of training for HSE occupational therapists and physiotherapists.
    4. What is the IAA position of the use of prone restraint on children in the Irish education system and why? (this is where up to 3 adults can forcibly restrain a child)

We at Irish autism mammy’s are formally requesting an investigation be carried out on the IAA to clear up some of the discrepancies that seem to be arising and answers to the questions we have posed....
    Like · Reply · 13 · 28 August at 08:37 · Edited

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Rory Cowen "actor"

Good one.

This is where it gets nasty: :D
    Like · Reply · 1 · 30 August at 13:13 · Edited
    Teresa Carr Buckley
    Teresa Carr Buckley By rights Brian murane should have informed you of this situation. This is not a witch hunt on IAA nearly 500 people have signed an online petition for IAA to be transparent with their funds if that doesn't ring alarm bells with you then what does is question I ask you Rory Cowan I must also high light this not a disagreement these are facts.
    Like · Reply · 1 · 30 August at 12:54 · Edited
    Rory Cowan
    Rory Cowan Teresa Carr Buckley Well highlight your issues somewhere else please. Not on my Facebook page.Oh yes people are telling me what to do and I don't appreciate it. I think it's impertinent. Now you feel free to highlight all the issues you have with IAA. Those issues you have are not my business. That's between you and the IAA, not me. So I'd appreciate if you (and others who have issues with IAA) would stop clogging up my Facebook page to raise those issues you have with IAA. This is not the page for you to be doing that. And I don't appreciate that some people who have issues with IAA are under the impression that they can tell me what organisations I can and cannot support. I've even had one woman telling me I'd be better off supporting an organisation in Wexford. Cheek! So please can you all take your issues with IAA somewhere else and off my page. Not too much to ask is it?
    Like · Reply · 1 · 30 August at 14:08 · Edited
    Teresa Carr Buckley
    Teresa Carr Buckley If you raising awareness for a condition then first of all educate yourself what autism is first, that my first point, point no 2 we didn't ask you to put up post you did and on a public pg if you don't like people's opinions then insult people you hav...See more
    Like · Reply · 2 · 30 August at 14:22 · Edited
    Rory Cowan
    Rory Cowan And there you are doing exactly what you claimed nobody was doing i.e. telling me what it do. You're telling me what to do. You don't get to tell me what to do. I don't know you, I never asked for your opinion on what I should or should not do. So please stop it. Take your issues with IAA to the relevant place.
    Like · Reply · 1 · 30 August at 14:23 · Edited
    Teresa Carr Buckley
    Teresa Carr Buckley beat me up scotty Rory Cowan people are just informing you you have become insulting for no apparent reason I have seen the posts and none of them are tell you what to do, do you know the difference information and someone telling you what to do?? Because from where I stand you obviously don't
    Like · Reply · 30 August at 14:27
    Teresa Carr Buckley
    Teresa Carr Buckley If you want to raise awareness about autism I'll gladly bring you into my home for a day and educate and bring you our local asd unit to meet our kids and parents these are the real people not IAA in a fancy hotel
    Like · Reply · 30 August at 14:35 · Edited
    Rory Cowan
    Rory Cowan Teresa Carr Buckley Oh yes you did tell me what to do. You told me to "stop raising awareness for something I know nothing about". The cheek of you! I'm actually aware that one of IAA's aims is to raise awareness of autism. That's all I was doing when ...See more
    Like · Reply · 1 · 30 August at 14:39
    Teresa Carr Buckley
    Teresa Carr Buckley You got on a cycle and picked a charity out of the blue and this is you raising awareness my god man you have a lot to learn about autism your are just making a complete fool of yourself now
    Like · Reply · 30 August at 14:41
    Teresa Carr Buckley
    Teresa Carr Buckley Ho please leave the shovel out of your hand before you are ate alive
    Like · Reply · 30 August at 14:44
    Teresa Carr Buckley
    Teresa Carr Buckley Correct if I'm wrong Rory but you were asked to join in a charity cycle, which I believe there was more then IAA involved, from I gather you were asked to pick a charity that was taken part in the the cycle??? You then say u picked IAA as charity am I right so far??? So my question is what actually do you actually know about autism??? This is my whole point you nothing about autism but you wanted to raise awareness??! Well ya have to laugh at this you didn't even have personal knowledge of condition you were raising awareness for, I rest my case ��
    Like · Reply · 30 August at 14:57
    Rory Cowan
    Rory Cowan Teresa Carr Buckley Go away you horrible nasty, vile, woman. I was asked to do the end of a charity cycle. Woodies were organising it and Woodies stores around the country were raising funds for a number of organisations, including IAA. I happen to think that raising awareness of autism is a good thing to do, so I picked IAA to help raise awareness for. And then I have to see comments by a vile nasty creature like you? Go away, I'm glad I don't know such a horrible person as you. Take your issues somewhere else. My Facebook page is not the place for your issues.
    Like · Reply · 30 August at 15:00
    Teresa Carr Buckley
    Teresa Carr Buckley And your now resorting to name calling now!! Classy that
    Like · Reply · 30 August at 15:02
    Teresa Carr Buckley
    Teresa Carr Buckley I'm letting you now I'm taking this now publicly because all I done was made you aware off the issues we had with IAA. My opinions of you has very low I can tell you bully a mother of autistic children
    Like · Reply · 30 August at 15:06 · Edited
    Rory Cowan
    Rory Cowan You tell me to stop raising awareness for autism and you try to belittle my effort to do that "You got on a cycle and picked a charity out of the blue and this is you raising awareness". You're a horrible excuse for a human being. You should be ashamed of yourself. Now go away. I'm done with you, you horrible person
    Like · Reply · 30 August at 15:07

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭furiousox

That's your classic "hissy fit" right there. :pac:

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

He's an absolute %$£"$

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,238 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Wow.

Neither of them exactly covered themselves in glory there, did they?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Listened back. Mother of Jesus.

The last time I heard a cat fight like that was on the bitchy/dress down round of RuPaul's Drag Race (it's hilarious btw).

Cowan did himself no favours there, esp. at the end when Joe gave them both a chance to kiss and make up and he still wouldn't withdraw the "vile" remark. I'd call him a drama queen but that I couldn't use the word drama with him as he'd think I was complimenting him on his acting so to speak. His nasty side was there for all to see today so to speak, as was the independent (LOL) chair's too.

Tinfoil hat man putting Duffy back in his platinum encased box was hilarious too. He would be caller of the year except for his shall we say other "misjudged" comments.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Rory could have come on and just let her speak. He didn't come across well by saying snide comments in the background.

Teresa hadn't a hope of a fair hearing from the outset with Duffy at the reigns, not a hope, it was two against one and was never gonna be any other way with a Mrs Browns Boys, RTE love in actor on.

Listened to most of it in work today.

Honestly, 2 'factions' that you cannot look crooked at for fear of offending, Mother of special needs kid and gay man.

There was never going to be a winner here.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

"Children Of De Revolution" starting on RTÉ1 now for anyone in to that misery and death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

This happens every year, for irish x charity it,s shown that most of the money raised goe,s to the top level executives, pensions or expenses .
    we need a website irish charity info.
    It,ll show the wages of all the staff who work there, the pensions
    of all the works ,
    info on of a 1000 euros raised how much is spent on children ,old people ,etc the people who are the purpose of the charity .
    expenses vs money raised .
    People will simply stop giving or raising money for all irish charitys .
    is it not obscene that the money of one childrens charity goe,s on The salary of one man.

It seems that many irish charitys are just behind the banks in missmanagement and excessive salarys and pensions for the top
    level executives .
    I think this raising awareness phrase is a bit ridiculous sometimes ,is there
    some stupid people out there that do not know that some children have autism .

Theresa is obviously not a regular listener. If she was he's have known Joe and Rory are best mates. when Joe introduced the segment it was screaming "ambush".

"Children Of De Revolution" starting on RTÉ1 now for anyone in to that misery and death.
    Thanks for that. I missed it first time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭furiousox

And of course Joe's personal PR pamphlet (the indo) are running their daily "this happened on liveline today" story, disguising it as "news".

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Hes a natural in front of the camera

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    He's an absolute %$£"$

Joe or the caller? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

I read the facebook exchange, and I'll summarise it so nobody else has to read that tripe.

It started by this Teresa wan saying 'well done' to Rory Cowan for raising money for Irish Austism Action, but asking what money the resources will be providing (a fair question, in light of the I.A.A. controversy). Here, Rory Cowan got antsy with her. Teresa and others replied explaining why they were asking, and were super civil to him, explaining the controversy, and saying I.A.A. should have warned Cowan of the controversy, but Cowan became trenchantly defensive & catty.

It was only then, when Cowan refused to engage, that Teresa concluded that Cowan must have done this for his own benefit, and that when choosing his sponsored charity, he must have chosen I.A.A. out of the blue (the last comment is not unreasonable). It was then that Rory Cowan said "Go away you horrible nasty, vile, woman" and called her a "horrible excuse for a human being".

Teresa should never have accused Cowan of doing the charity cycle for publicity, but that's a side issue, it was never the crux of her argument.

From what I gather, she was firstly trying to establish what the money would be providing for (a fair question, in light of the recent controversy), and when Rory Cowan was defensive, she suggested that people should do some research into the charities they are promoting.

These were both fair points but the whole exchange was derailed on Liveline, and . somehow, this woman was portrayed as being opposed to celebrity promotions of charities, or that only those with autistic relatives should be involved. That was not the point she was making.

All in all, it was a misunderstanding on behalf of Rory Cowan, and exacerbated by Teresa's weak ability to express on the radio exactly the points she made on Facebook. All in all, a fairly dim-witted and febrile affair.

Thank you for the summary. I happened to tune into the 'discussion' towards the end, but I did gather that Teresa had a child with autism and that Rory Cowan had done some charity activity for IAA. Thought I heard her say something along the lines of her having asked Cowan where the money was going, to receive the reply that he 'didn't know or didn't care'. I was not aware that she was one of the Irish Autism Mammies until I read another post.

She was perfectly right to draw attention to the fact that Big Names use charities, as much as charities use them to 'raise awareness'. From what I can see on the Facebook page, a very civil question was asked re where the funds might be spent. Considering the scandal associated with the IAA, which was reported on a few months ago, it is only right that people are asking questions, eventually, as to how the money in that organisation is distributed. It is interesting that the previous CEO jumped ship around the same time as Keith Duffy did, in February this year. Even more interesting, to my mind, is that Kevin Whelan, despite the mess he left behind in IAA, was able to assume the post of CEO in another charity, Fighting Blindness.ie on March 1st! Do the people who appoint these individuals do any due diligence? Just another intriguing detail, Fighting Blindness.ie is to be one of the beneficiaries of the newly established Keith Duffy Foundation, which KD set up after leaving IAA, due to 'family and work commitments'!!

Must declare an interest here, as a family member has a child with autism.
    She had sought help from IAA in the early days after he was diagnosed, but got nada from them. Whenever she saw Keith Duffy on TV speaking about IAA and all the work they were doing for children with autism, she used to hit the roof! She and some friends organised many fund raising activities of their own, every cent of which was spent on services for their children. I have every sympathy for Teresa, and parents like her, who must be at their wits' end trying to seek money for services for their children. It was perfectly reasonable for her to ask where the money raised by 'celebrities', who were cycling for IAA, was going to be spent. Too bad there aren't more people like her kicking up a stink - a lot more transparency is needed in the charity sector.

I can usually listen impassively to Joe Duffy, believe it or not!, and enjoy the comments here on Boards every day, but I am finally beginning to agree with the posters who rage about what a thoroughly unpleasant person he seems to be. The programme last week with the Police Commissioner from Rio was an absolute disgrace, and that segment I heard today when he was obviously on the side of Barry Cowan and shouted down Teresa Buckley? whenever she tried to speak, was nothing short of bullying. She never got to make her point that she wanted to know where the money raised at charity events was spent.

Rory Cowan's hissy fit at the end most definitely did not show him in a good light, to put it mildly! :mad:

Guess who's gonna be on tomorrow.

Screen-Shot-2016-09-01-at-23.02.09.png

sligojoek wrote: »
    Guess who's gonna be on tomorrow.

Screen-Shot-2016-09-01-at-23.02.09.png

Nah, there's no chance Kate Middleton will be talking to Joe. ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

I'm not that it's appropriate to have the sister on at this stage. So I'm pretty sure that means that Joe Duffy WILL have her on.

I'd love if Ronan Mullen came on to Liveline some day to tell Joe Duffy a few home truths the way he did with Ray D'Arcy yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Tinfoil hat man putting Duffy back in his platinum encased box was hilarious too. He would be caller of the year except for his shall we say other "misjudged" comments.....

Yeah, he let himself down with those.

Cowan is a nasty bit of work though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

RE: autism call

i think she was ambushed/ganged up on

• Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Yeah, he let himself down with those.

Cowan is a nasty bit of work though.

Only goes to show - never go on LL, even as a pal of the presenter, for it will bite you in the ass.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

She came across poorly, yes she was ambushed but I feel she could have been better prepared.

He certainly doesn't come out well out of this, he seemed to just go with escalating things very quickly on Facebook.

And Joe... well Joe is Joe, classy and intelligent as always.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement