Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline thread 12/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Red Kev wrote: »
    I remember that as well, mad stuff alright. Up there with Schulmadchen Report for an award for the best German TV.

More great TV was the live Webcams on the mountain summits so you could see what was the best place to go hiking that day.

I think I saw that, too. There was another one of endless rail journeys in the forests of Eastern Europe. The one that Ray seemed fascinated with, the log fire, was another RTL one. I soon got bored with that :)
    I watched so much German telly I was starting to pick up the language. Seeing lots of dubbed ST-TNG does that to you.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Seeing as it happened near the James Joyce Bridge, perhaps it was a public art performance of the Nausicca chapter from Ulysses, so to speak?

it would be worth it just to hear Joe try and pronounce Nausicaa

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Me Weekly Column, by me, Joe Duffy so to speak.

Dis week on me show was all over de shop so to speak with a woyde range of topix says I, amongst dem:

Pat Hickey:
    Well we didn't talk about dis dis week but I'm glad to bring yisser all de great news dat Pat is out of de horrible prizin and in accommodation more befitting a man of his great stature and importance so to speak. I don't want to overplay or overstate me own roll in his path to freedom so to speak but I tink it wood be fair to say dat without me tearin' strips off de Rio Garda last week he'd still be rottin' in de jail with de scum. I tink de Rio Gardai were scarlet after me interview wit dare top brass so to speak and were afrayed I mite turn in in Rio and show dem who de real boss is so day let him out early. To parrot-phrase me auld pal CJ, "I did de state some more service so to speak".

PokeyMon:
    I did at first tink dis was a randy Jamaican but it turns out he's a Japanese cartoony fella dat duz be appearin' and den disappearin' all over de city. I had some experts on de show dat did it explain it at de toyme but to be honest I'm still confused about it all so to speak, even dough I have a smart phone and an EYE Pad.

Apple:
    So it turns out apple pay less tax dan I do - who'd have tunk it so to speak. must get dare accountants to wurk on me accounts so to speak as if day pay less tax dan me de accountants must be fantastic, wonderful so to speak. I had an expert on to explain de tax for me and I showed me own prow-wess wit de smart phone by doing de tax dare on de phone lahv so to speak. For de older peeple dat read dis column day have calculators on phones now and everyting. Wan a de experts was great and knew everyting about everyting (like me so to speak) but he wasn't very friendly to de gays.

Speaking of de gays:
    Rory Cowan, de celebrated comedian was on de show to defend his honour so to speak. He got into a fight wit dis wagon who didn't know what comedic geenyuz is and Rory showed her who was boss. next time I'm interrogaitin' de Rio Garda I'm going to bring Rory on wit me to intimmydate de Rio Garda even more. I remained impartial and unbiased threwout dis exchange but safe to say Rory won hands down by never resorting to name calling, being gracious in accepting de wagon's apology, not blowing tings out of all proportion and deaf in ite-ly not throwin de hissy fit so to speak. A true pro like meself so to speak.

Car crashes:
    Day say dat on de roads you should ever meet some wan by accident, unless you live to tell de tale of how ex-screw-she-ate-ing dat pain is on De Lahv Lahn of course. I had a few callers dis week who had some terribull experiences so to speak, so naturally I milked dare pain for me own gain. This week was a bad week for death though as I didn't have enough of it on de show so to speak. I'll try and have more death next week so to speak. One positive of dis segment was we founded out some of de most dangerous roads in de country so to speak for de accidents. I know ware I'll be going on de next Bank Holliers to see de action up close for meself. Note to self: schedule a Funny Fryday in Dunnygall.

De Unwell:
    Or De Walking Dead as a caller called dem so to speak. We also did discover dat Dubalin isn't safe wit dem anymore and London is great. Dare might be a buke in dat for me so to speak. De Childers of De Unwell, yes, dats wat I'll call it. Some mite tink it's exploitin' de pain and hurtin' dat day do be sufferin', but I can't help it if me art is misunderstood by de peeple dat don't understand de great art so to speak.

De Bridge Fetishists so to speak:
    We also did heer about de man who likes bridge arkitechture so much he does be doin' de bold ting to himself on dat bridge. Whoy can't he get a normal fetish like de death, de seweroyde or de misery like me so to speak?

Anyway, I have ta go now an count me fees and if you listen ta da show at all you'll no I'm brillunt at de matty matticks so it should only take a few hours so to speak. 'til next week, keep de faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭batistuta9

that lad with the drink driving convictions, that was sent to jail in oz, is on radio 1 now again :pac:
    still getting the soft approach from them

• Registered Users Posts: 82,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

batistuta9 wrote: »
    that lad with the drink driving convictions, that was sent to jail in oz, is on radio 1 now again :pac:

His multiple drink driving convictions across 2 countries are all fun and games until someone besides him are killed by his actions, it's all a great bit of fun and banter until then, what colour were the breathalysers so to speak :mad:

• Advertisement

WHOY are day giving him airtime? He or his equally rose tinted glasses wearing fadder must know someone in RTÉ to get away with this.

the segment started with about 100k irish people have moved over since the recession, many are now overstaying. next he's thing he's on. very nonchalant attitude from all of them on the show, including a deputy about it. couple of texts saying what did he expect etc.
    i think his issue is being picked up & detained, though i'm not sure after hearing him twice now

the segment started with about 100k irish people have moved over since the recession, many are now overstaying. next he's thing he's on. very nonchalant attitude from all of them on the show, including a deputy about it. couple of texts saying what did he expect etc.
    i think his issue is being picked up & detained, though i'm not sure after hearing him twice now

I think his issue is he's an entitled little scrote who has no regard for the laws of various lands myself.

Offence 1: drink driving conviction(s) in Ireland
    Offence 2: lying on his entry via to Australia claiming he had no prior convictions
    Offence 3: drink drinking conviction(s) in Australia
    Offence 4: overstaying his visa in Australia, something they take VERY seriously
    Offence 5: being a cûnt

right, but that's not really showing why he keeps being interviewed on radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I need to listen back to the Marian podcast: I half-heard the Drink Driving Guy but I'm perplexed as to why he was on. How could anybody on the production side think his case would elicit sympathy? All it provoked in me was rage that he was yet again getting airtime.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Must have a connection in rte or clontarf

pc7 wrote: »
    Must have a connection in rte or clontarf

Please read my 2nd last post caller!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Please read my 2nd last post caller!

I know dat, I know DAT! But you forgot to mention clontarf and like our esteemed host I wanted to restate de bleeding obvious so to speak

M

Today so to speak...
    Another week, another assasination attempt, Hutch/Kinehan, talk of one of the Hutches going to change their name, suggestions please to 1850....
    Bus strikes...I love these, reminds me of the 80's.
    Young chap who went to school with a Moe Hee Kin, was sent home.
    People with drug problems as discussed on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Duffy trying to help out the Hutches today !!.Public service broadcasting at its very best. All the lives them fukers ruined and now RTE giving then a platform to air their grievance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Dublin shootings
    Dublin bus strikes
    Haircuts in a yet to be revealed location
    Dublin drug problems

He's already got the words doodle and doddle mixed up. Doesn't bode well for the week.

there seems to be very little about this on air the last week or so considering the impact it will have.

M

pc7 wrote: »
    there seems to be very little about this on air the last week or so considering the impact it will have.

Yes is it all out this Thursday and Friday or just for the few hours, nothing on Dublin Bus website?

Today so to speak...
    Another week, another assasination attempt, Hutch/Kinehan, talk of one of the Hutches going to change their name, suggestions please to 1850....

Are they "De Unwell" I keep hearing about on this show caller; or what the rest of the population call "junkies'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Did RTE get permission from this woman to put her voice out on the air? Another court case and apology for RTE in the coming months.

• Advertisement

Did RTE get permission from this woman to put her voice out on the air? Another court case and apology for RTE in the coming months.

There is video footage all over the t'interweb so they are probably covered that its in the domain. As a side absolutely fooking scandalous, place should be shout down today.
    eta so is name of clinic

Source:
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/grainne-seoige-departs-from-crimecall-as-keelin-shanley-takes-reins-in-newlook-show-35019402.html

Grainne Seoige departs from Crimecall as Keelin Shanley takes reins in new-look show

Once one of RTE's leading presenters, Galway girl Grainne Seoige loses prime time TV slot

Niamh-Horan-bio.jpg Niamh Horan

Published 04/09/2016 | 02:30

2016-09-04_iri_24353592_I2.JPG
    Replaced: Grainne Seoige will present The People of The Year Awards. Her Crimecall slot goes to Keelin Shanley Photo: Gerry Mooney

Grainne Seoige has been axed from Crimecall - in favour of Keelin Shanley.

Ms Seoige presented Crimecall for the past five years alongside Philip Boucher-Hayes, and the move marks the last major presenting role Ms Seoige held at the station.

2016-09-04_iri_24353720_I1.JPGKeelin Shanley

Once a year, Grainne will continue to host Up for the Match, which aired last night, and The People of the Year Awards.

The Galway presenter was once a leading light in RTE - but she has been "left out in the cold" in recent years. The news comes only weeks after the Sunday Independent reported that the star was in limbo over her future on the show.

A source said: "After 10 years the show went to another production company and, after some consideration, Grainne was no longer seen as the right fit.

Her co-host Mr Boucher-Hayes told the Sunday Independent: "I won't be presenting Crimecall this coming season. I have a full-time job in radio on Drivetime and Liveline and a full-time job in TV working on a new series of What Are You Eating?

"On top of which I'm also developing some very interesting TV projects," he said.

"Trying to squeeze in Crimecall too wasn't practical any longer. After five years it was time to move on." Mr Boucher-Hayes finished by offering the best of luck to Keelin Shanley.

This weekend a spokesperson for RTE released a statement which read: "The hugely successful series has been on air for over 10 years with a variety of presenters at the helm. This season, RTE has decided to change the look and feel of the show with Keelin replacing Grainne and Philip as the presenter of the series.

"We'd like to thank Grainne and Philip for their fantastic work over the past six years and we're looking forward to working with them again on different projects for RTE One in the coming months."

Although Ms Seoige was not present at the autumn launch and was not linked to any upcoming projects, the statement went on: "Grainne will be hosting Up for the Match and The People of the Year Awards and we will also be talking to her about other potential projects in the coming months.

It continued: "Philip is busy working on the second series of What Are You Eating? for broadcast later this year along with his Radio One commitments on Drivetime and Liveline."

"Crimecall has been on air for more than 10 years with different presenters at the helm so we felt it was time to review the series and change the look and feel of the show."

Earlier this month there was shock as Coco Productions, the company which made Crimecall, was told it would no longer be given the task, after more than a decade producing the series.

At the time a RTE source said: "Coco Television created, developed and produced it from its inception. But RTE told the company in the last few weeks that they were putting the show's production up for tender and it has now gone to a production company in the North who will make it for the foreseeable future."

The source went on: "I'd say it did come as a surprise to Coco.

"It's been one of RTE's most successful brands, outperforming the schedule average."

The show plays a valuable role in Garda investigations, so news that it has gone to a production company outside the state also raised eyebrows.
    "When you think about it, it's a different legislation, another police force, confidential information about victim's cases will be going outside the state.

"It's a strange decision but I think it's part of bigger things that are happening now in RTE."

So I have some questions:
    1. How much are PBH's fees?
    2. If Joe isn't the full time host, why is he paid 10 salaries sets of fees to do so? I often call him "the occasional host" and often remark he "works" "75mins a day (incl. ad breaks), 4 days a week, 30-odd weeks a year" - it seems I over-estimated.

3. Whoy is Joe's name screamed at us by Zig or Zag (I don't know which of them it is) frequently before, during or at the tail end of Ad Breaks if it's a joint show? Although in fairness if they were to stretch out PBH's name in the same fashion it would take up 7 mins of airtime.:rolleyes:

4. Will it be renamed "Lahv Lahn with Joe Duffy and Philip Boucher Hayes"?
    5. Whoy is it that in RTE if you present one show you're automatically allowed produce and present shows on YOUR OWN pet topics, regardless of how interesting they are to the general population? I'd love to know Philip's ideas for shows, I'd say it would make Money Tennis look interesting:

The origins of cat-calling; and it's not from a cat you know!
    Alphabetising a library with PBH.
    100 types of lawn seed with PBH.
    The Boiling Water Show* with PBH.
    Double-barrelled surname etiquette with PBH.
    Nepotism and Cronyism within RTE, an exposé by PBH.**
    The Nation's Favourite Cabbage with PBH.

*admittedly borrowed from David McSavage
    **unlikely to be commissioned

Red Kev wrote: »
    Dublin shootings
    Dublin bus strikes
    Haircuts in a yet to be revealed location
    Dublin drug problems

He's already got the words doodle and doddle mixed up. Doesn't bode well for the week.

Ah here, he can't even say the word "Dublin" correctly, and he lives there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Well done AIne , she cuts short an important topic for this bullcrap item about titanic and for the usual boring sports news which could be on a tape or whatever they do .

Today so to speak...

1/10 on Joe brings Mr. T into this.

1a2hus.jpg

Oops69 wrote: »
    Well done AIne , she cuts short an important topic for this bullcrap item about titanic and for the usual boring sports news which could be on a tape or whatever they do .

Joe: Wat colour is de tape?

Today so to speak...

Larry Murphy seems like a fairly safe choice.....oh, wait....

Jaysis Aine getting a bit excited there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Aíne Lawlor is far too casual for what is meant to be a serious news show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Aíne Lawlor is far too casual for what is meant to be a serious news show.
    Everything's a laugh with her , she like an immature annoying teenage girl with the little inflection art he end of every sentence .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement