Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline thread 12/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,856 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Yes we know this Eileen.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Mary Coughlan did a concert. I'd say that scattered them quick enough.

Imagine if they did a Funny Fryday there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Wonder what Ray did over the weekend?

No of course you don't Phil. Sure it might be turned down to a trickle.

Wonder what Ray did over the weekend?
    Porridge ? And no not the Ronnie barker show.

• Advertisement

Source:
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/grainne-seoige-departs-from-crimecall-as-keelin-shanley-takes-reins-in-newlook-show-35019402.html

Grainne Seoige departs from Crimecall as Keelin Shanley takes reins in new-look show

Once one of RTE's leading presenters, Galway girl Grainne Seoige loses prime time TV slot

Niamh-Horan-bio.jpg Niamh Horan

Published 04/09/2016 | 02:30

2016-09-04_iri_24353592_I2.JPG
    Replaced: Grainne Seoige will present The People of The Year Awards. Her Crimecall slot goes to Keelin Shanley Photo: Gerry Mooney

Grainne Seoige has been axed from Crimecall - in favour of Keelin Shanley.

Ms Seoige presented Crimecall for the past five years alongside Philip Boucher-Hayes, and the move marks the last major presenting role Ms Seoige held at the station.

2016-09-04_iri_24353720_I1.JPGKeelin Shanley

Once a year, Grainne will continue to host Up for the Match, which aired last night, and The People of the Year Awards.

The Galway presenter was once a leading light in RTE - but she has been "left out in the cold" in recent years. The news comes only weeks after the Sunday Independent reported that the star was in limbo over her future on the show.

A source said: "After 10 years the show went to another production company and, after some consideration, Grainne was no longer seen as the right fit.

Her co-host Mr Boucher-Hayes told the Sunday Independent: "I won't be presenting Crimecall this coming season. I have a full-time job in radio on Drivetime and Liveline and a full-time job in TV working on a new series of What Are You Eating?

"On top of which I'm also developing some very interesting TV projects," he said.

"Trying to squeeze in Crimecall too wasn't practical any longer. After five years it was time to move on." Mr Boucher-Hayes finished by offering the best of luck to Keelin Shanley.

This weekend a spokesperson for RTE released a statement which read: "The hugely successful series has been on air for over 10 years with a variety of presenters at the helm. This season, RTE has decided to change the look and feel of the show with Keelin replacing Grainne and Philip as the presenter of the series.

"We'd like to thank Grainne and Philip for their fantastic work over the past six years and we're looking forward to working with them again on different projects for RTE One in the coming months."

Although Ms Seoige was not present at the autumn launch and was not linked to any upcoming projects, the statement went on: "Grainne will be hosting Up for the Match and The People of the Year Awards and we will also be talking to her about other potential projects in the coming months.

It continued: "Philip is busy working on the second series of What Are You Eating? for broadcast later this year along with his Radio One commitments on Drivetime and Liveline."

"Crimecall has been on air for more than 10 years with different presenters at the helm so we felt it was time to review the series and change the look and feel of the show."

Earlier this month there was shock as Coco Productions, the company which made Crimecall, was told it would no longer be given the task, after more than a decade producing the series.

At the time a RTE source said: "Coco Television created, developed and produced it from its inception. But RTE told the company in the last few weeks that they were putting the show's production up for tender and it has now gone to a production company in the North who will make it for the foreseeable future."

The source went on: "I'd say it did come as a surprise to Coco.

"It's been one of RTE's most successful brands, outperforming the schedule average."

The show plays a valuable role in Garda investigations, so news that it has gone to a production company outside the state also raised eyebrows.
    "When you think about it, it's a different legislation, another police force, confidential information about victim's cases will be going outside the state.

"It's a strange decision but I think it's part of bigger things that are happening now in RTE."

So I have some questions:
    1. How much are PBH's fees?
    2. If Joe isn't the full time host, why is he paid 10 salaries sets of fees to do so? I often call him "the occasional host" and often remark he "works" "75mins a day (incl. ad breaks), 4 days a week, 30-odd weeks a year" - it seems I over-estimated.

3. Whoy is Joe's name screamed at us by Zig or Zag (I don't know which of them it is) frequently before, during or at the tail end of Ad Breaks if it's a joint show? Although in fairness if they were to stretch out PBH's name in the same fashion it would take up 7 mins of airtime.:rolleyes:

4. Will it be renamed "Lahv Lahn with Joe Duffy and Philip Boucher Hayes"?
    5. Whoy is it that in RTE if you present one show you're automatically allowed produce and present shows on YOUR OWN pet topics, regardless of how interesting they are to the general population? I'd love to know Philip's ideas for shows, I'd say it would make Money Tennis look interesting:

The origins of cat-calling; and it's not from a cat you know!
    Alphabetising a library with PBH.
    100 types of lawn seed with PBH.
    The Boiling Water Show* with PBH.
    Double-barrelled surname etiquette with PBH.
    Nepotism and Cronyism within RTE, an exposé by PBH.**
    The Nation's Favourite Cabbage with PBH.

*admittedly borrowed from David McSavage
    **unlikely to be commissioned

Posted that earlier, but worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Porridge ? And no not the Ronnie barker show.

Ah, he'll pretend he is a great Hurling expert.

I played a bit of rugby hurling when I was younger don't you know.....

Where were you ray ?

Christ blackboard jungle ?

• Advertisement

Christ blackboard jungle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Riveting intro

3. Whoy is Joe's name screamed at us by Zig or Zag (I don't know which of them it is) frequently before, during or at the tail end of Ad Breaks if it's a joint show?
    Can't believe I never copped onto this!

Are those lads still in gainful employment in RTE?

Bit of trivia: the guy who plays Zig (Cian Morrison, who I'm fairly sure is the Liveline voice man) is the older brother of the guy who plays Dustin (John Morrison).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Can't believe I never copped onto this!

Are those lads still in gainful employment in RTE?

Bit of trivia: the guy who plays Zig (Cian Morrison, who I'm fairly sure is the Liveline voice man) is the older brother of the guy who plays Dustin (John Morrison).

Really ??

Which one was Zig ? the spotty lad ? or the yellow fella ?

Really ??

Which one was Zig ? the spotty lad ? or the yellow fella ?
    Yeah the spotty lad. Sounded vaguely black.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Cian Morrison, who I'm fairly sure is the Liveline voice man.

Open to correction but could Jonathan Ryan be the Liveline voiceover? Unless there's more than one? The 1850... intro is the bit I'm referring to.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Open to correction but could Jonathan Ryan be the Liveline voiceover? Unless there's more than one? The 1850... intro is the bit I'm referring to.
    Oh yeah the 1850 chap is different.

i don't know for sure that the Jooooooooe Duuffffyyy voiceover is Zig (or Zag), but it immediately clicked when Butters mentioned it. It sounds very much like Zig.

Ten Pin wrote: »

I don't think so. He did an ad for a company I worked for years ago and I was supervising the recording of the ad from the client side. He does some very good voice impressions. I also got to meet the guy who played Fr. Dick Moran (Ted's nemesis) from Fadder Ted that day so to speak who also did a VO for the same ad.

He did however do an AWFUL impression of an American on Fair City for a while. And he was in "Patriot Games" too, and Pierce Brosnan vehicle "Taffin" as well as one of Joe's favourite moovies "In de name a de fadder"*, but nothing will ever top his work on Bosco.

*may not be factually correct.

Oh yeah the 1850 chap is different.

i don't know for sure that the Jooooooooe Duuffffyyy voiceover is Zig (or Zag), but it immediately clicked when Butters mentioned it. It sounds very much like Zig.

An associate who works in de RTÉ did tell me dat so I'm fairly certain it duz be true so to speak.

He called it "gay-lick" at one stage in the segment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I think it was "Socky" from the den that used to do the Joooooe Duffeeeh thing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Thought i'd escape 'MANNIX monday' and up he pops on 'drivetime ' looking to change the name of the Artane boys band!!
    I feel like he's hounding me now !

• Registered Users Posts: 82,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Paul Murphy speaking on Vincent Browne just mentioned Joe's interogation of the Brazilian Police commissioner.

Paul Murphy speaking on Vincent Browne just mentioned Joe's interogation of the Brazilian Police commissioner.

In an approving or disapproving manner?

Speaking of Pat Hickey, looks like he spent some of his down time working out and getting fit again:

paty-hickey.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I take it he was unimpressed - for, if not, I'd be unimpressed.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 82,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    I take it he was unimpressed - for, if not, I'd be unimpressed.

Yes unimpressed, they were talking how the media handled it.

And wat did he say caller?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Feck.... does that mean i actually agree with something PM said? :eek:

That does NOT sit well with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Or how they didn't handle it. I had a look through the two Indos and the Irish Times that weekend and never saw a word about it.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Feck.... does that mean i actually agree with something PM said? :eek:

That does NOT sit well with me!

It's all relative Heidi and it could be worse - imagine if you found yourself agreeing with Joe?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement