Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline thread 12/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,201 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I just received this also:

The arrest was high profile. It was widely commented on in Ireland and abroad. Liveline had covered the wider issues at length - in particular with relevance to the lack of tickets made available to the athlete's families. This was the first interview with a representative of the Brazilian system. It is entirely appropriate that he was questioned on what had happened in Rio de Janeiro. Joe Duffy quotes Irish politicians, including the leader of the Labour Party, who have said this is not the way we do things. He asks the Commissioner if he understands that? In asking that and other questions he was not making a value judgement on the Brazilain legal system. He does not ask why Mr Hickey was not allowed out on bail - he asks about the Brazilian system and whether the police would oppose bail.

The Commissioner said he wasn't happy that the media were there when Mr Hickey was arrested. Joe Duffy's ad-lib reference to the Commissioner carrying a gun, referred to the Commissioner as the source of authority in the room. He could have asked the reporters to leave.

Ah, here..... Do they take us all for complete fools?

I hope whoever had to write that is paid handsomely, and had their fingers crossed behind their back while doing it.....

Wonder what tha BAI would think of those RTÉ reponses to the complaints?
    They're very unsatisfactory responses in my opinion.

They failed to engage with the questions altogether.

I don't care enough about this to make a complaint to the BAI, plus I don't really want my name showing up on a Google search disclosing to future employers that I am a Liveline listener :eek::eek::eek:

But if that wasn't a consideration, I'd probably complain. Not even because this issue affects me -- it doesn't -- just for the lack of honest engagement with genuine criticism or even a tacit acceptance that it could have been handled more professionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

I know I always say this but I think that may have been the best Liveline EVER. Was in the car and really enjoyed it. Well done to the councillor.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

They're very unsatisfactory responses in my opinion. YES, THEY ARE, BUT THAT'S PAR FOR THE COURSE WITH RTE AND HOW THEY HANDLE COMPLAINTS AGAINST ONE OF THEIR OWN.

They failed to engage with the questions altogether. THEY ALWAYS DO. ON MY LAST COMPLAINT I WROTE BACK TO THEIR REPLY MENTIONING THEY FAILED TO ADDRESS ANY OF THE POINTS I MADE OR THE QUESTIONS I ASKED. I HAVE NOT RECEIVED A REPLY TO THAT (SURPRISE! SURPRISE!)

I don't care enough about this to make a complaint to the BAI I REALLY WISH MORE PEOPLE WOULD AND SHOW JOE UP FOR THE UNPROFESSIONAL BULLY THAT HE IS AS COMPLAINTS CLEARLY FALL ON DEAF EARS IN RTE, plus I don't really want my name showing up on a Google search disclosing to future employers that I am a Liveline listener :eek::eek::eek:

But if that wasn't a consideration, I'd probably complain. Not even because this issue affects me -- it doesn't -- just for the lack of honest engagement with genuine criticism or even a tacit acceptance that it could have been handled more professionally.THE ATTITUDE APPEARS TO BE "NOTHING TO SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG. YOU'RE MISTAKEN, JOE IS RIGHT AND YOU'RE WRONG"

Some comments in bold & caps (for ease of reading only).

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Ah, here..... Do they take us all for complete fools? YES

I hope whoever had to write that is paid handsomely, and had their fingers crossed behind their back while doing it.....IT'S RTE, OF COURSE THEY'RE PAID HANDSOMELY

As per previous comment.

• Advertisement

Wonder what tha BAI would think of those RTÉ reponses to the complaints?

You can include their response in your complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Great stuff going to listen later

• Registered Users Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭furiousox

Just listened to the last 15 mins of the show.
    WTAF just happened??
    JD completely overreacting, blowing a gasket and switching seamlessly into ill mannered overpaid bully mode.
    He actually sounded mentally unstable there!

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i hope someone can record it for future listening. not too sure will RTE leave it online too long

THE ATTITUDE APPEARS TO BE "NOTHING TO SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG. YOU'RE MISTAKEN, JOE IS RIGHT AND YOU'RE WRONG"
    The strangest part is the assertion that Joe's question, why didn't the Commissioner just use his gun to disperse the journalists, actually had nothing to do with a gun... wtf?

RTÉ claims it was a reference to the Commissioner's authority, and presumably therefore a metaphor?

I'm sure Joe and RTÉ are well aware that it was a bungled interview. There are some serious mental gymnastics required to assert that reference to pointing a firearm at someone actually has nothing to do with a firearm.

I might ring Liveline tomorrow and tell Joe I'm very cast down by the reply so to speak

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Councillor Seamus Traynor v. Joe Duffy, Lahvline, 23 September 2016
    https://clyp.it/1rhytp2r

https://clyp.it/1rhytp2r At 06:24 Joe sez that Seamus was on for ten minutes, but he'd only been on 5m 36s.

I might ring Liveline tomorrow and tell Joe I'm very cast down by the reply so to speak
    He don't be operating de telephone on Saturday, caller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

snubbleste wrote: »
    Councillor Seamus Traynor v. Joe Duffy, Lahvline, 23 September 2016
    https://clyp.it/1rhytp2r

shameful stuff there from the Huffy Duffy clown.

Just listening back to the clip courtesy of snubbleste.

My favourite part is when Joe realises he's lost the head, and says "I'll calm down if you calm down", even though the Councillor (whom I think is a loon anyway) hasn't even been able to get a word in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I completely disagree with those calling for Joe's head - what would we do without him. Anyway, a few more shows like todays' and he will be carted off in an ambulance.

Just listening back to the clip courtesy of snubbleste.

My favourite part is when Joe realises he's lost the head, and says "I'll calm down if you calm down", even though the Councillor (whom I think is a loon anyway) hasn't even been able to get a word in.

That was cos the lawyers telling Joe they'd feed him his own bollix if he didn't cut to a break immediately!

It just shows that this inflated overpaid prick doesn't even listen to the poeple who ring the show!

All he heard from the councillor was that the Nigerian woman had a canary in the Newry hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

foggy_lad wrote: »
    That was cos the lawyers telling Joe they'd feed him his own bollix if he didn't cut to a break immediately!

It just shows that this inflated overpaid prick doesn't even listen to the poeple who ring the show!

All he heard from the councillor was that the Nigerian woman had a canary in the Newry hospital.

Would have been gas when he broke into the ad break if they'd played the Tommy McCanary ad....to top it all off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

RustyNut wrote: »
    Ah lads I missed the show today. Is it worth downloading for work tomorrow?

It's worth downloading for Saturday night and getting all your friends around!!!!

The strangest part is the assertion that Joe's question, why didn't the Commissioner just use his gun to disperse the journalists, actually had nothing to do with a gun... wtf?

RTÉ claims it was a reference to the Commissioner's authority, and presumably therefore a metaphor?

I'm sure Joe and RTÉ are well aware that it was a bungled interview. There are some serious mental gymnastics required to assert that reference to pointing a firearm at someone actually has nothing to do with a firearm.

They can't really claim that however as it was pre-recorded, that interview wasn't Lahv so to speak. I'm still amazed that it got to air as it did but I can only assume no one (apart from Duffy and a sound engineer) listened to it before it went to air. Even a trainee producer would realise that wasn't fit for airing.

Or more likely they're all afraid of upsetting or annoying the great one and no one dares to speak out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,943 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Nooooooo!

This could be GOOD! :D:D

Just after checking the rest of the thread. A bad decision by me, feckin hell.

BPKS wrote: »
    Just after checking the rest of the thread. A bad decision by me, feckin hell.

Is this your first time on the show caller?

Would have been gas when he broke into the ad break if they'd played the Tommy McCanary ad....to top it all off

That ad was actually on in today's show.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

Missed it aswell, all that talk of beer, had to get back to work away from the radio or would have went down the offie. Listened to the last 12 minutes there, f**king lel, that 'canary' bit. Actualy nearly wet myself. There mustn't be many bits of dialouge containing the words "havin a canary" in da Mrs Bown Boyaaz script

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 68,594 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Red Kev wrote: »
    There's no stipulations as to how long an Irish Whiskey has to be in a cask you twit.

No stipulations other than the law, you mean?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1980/act/33/section/1/enacted/en/html#sec1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Heard last 20 minutes of show - Joe really lost it. It's pretty impressive how many posts on Boards his show gets when HE is presenting. Although his wages are ridiculous, it's obvious that the show is well listened to

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Could you take the box out and attach it to the car of the local old lady who drives at around 20kph daily?
    Tht could get him into bigger trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,321 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

sligojoek wrote: »
    Tht could get him into bigger trouble.

Yes he would be down the inshurdance fraud route, wouldn't be getting insured again most likely ever if they found out.

honeybear wrote: »
    Heard last 20 minutes of show - Joe really lost it. It's pretty impressive how many posts on Boards his show gets when HE is presenting. Although his wages are ridiculous, it's obvious that the show is well listened to

That is not a valid argument. We listen (and post) for when he loses the rag, when he's rude, when he's asking stupid and ridiculous questions, when he's being unprofessional etc. - don't you see that? He gets attention here for the car crash nature of the show, not because he's the professional, unbiased host of a slick and well produced show.

Like Funny Fryday, we're laughing at Duffy, not with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

foggy_lad wrote: »
    shameful stuff there from the Huffy Duffy clown.

Absolute fukin bully,I hope that Minister Ross isn't upset with Duffys plageurism with the White Horse analogy :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement