Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline thread 12/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Ah just listening again to Seamus again there...ah its gold

• Registered Users Posts: 29,201 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

BPKS wrote: »
    Just after checking the rest of the thread. A bad decision by me, feckin hell.
    Seconds you missed it by - mere seconds!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭furiousox

I'm equally amused and annoyed by his antics today.
    Amused by how quickly he went to defcon 1 as soon as he felt RTE was being slighted, and annoyed as to how he's allowed to behave like that without reprimand.
    If any employee in any place of work spoke to someone like that they'd be fired on the spot.
    His 'man of the people' mask slipped yet again today, he's an establishment bagman.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Joe:
    don't be giving me yer auld guff.

Such a pro.

I re-posted the above as I think it says a lot about the man. The words themselves are bad enough, but the venomous tone in which he delivered them (you really need to hear it) highlights his self-importance. Once again he let his own bias and agenda come shining through and took sides even though he is supposed to be impartial. This is how he spoke to a councillor who (I suspect - as is the Lahv Lahn norm) he called to be on the show. Would he ever speak to a Fianna Fail Councillor like this? I think we know the answer to that one.

A 12 year old on a school debating team would run rings around Duffy. He showed his true colours once again today. He's like a bull in a china shop when he doesn't get his way. Underneath the velour waistcoat and dickie bow that he likely thinks makes him look sophisticated, he's really just an ignorant buffoon and a bully.

No, but we have a legal and moral obligation to listen to people who tell us they are being persecuted.

If we cannot do that in a timely manner, that's our problem.

That's rubbish. Even if its heard in a timely manner, they can lodge appeal after appeal.

These are NOT the people being persecuted. The unfortunate people left behind in the camps who cannot afford to get here ( with no direct flight etc) are the persecuted ones )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Heard the shows and i'm not one bit surprised at what i heard today, outrageous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Cdosrun

I recorded the whole show and replayed it while cooking.
    The whole show is worth checking out again.

The one with the fat boyfriend that adopted 5 kids and spent €14k
    to bury the boyfriend and can't pay for it.
    The Mother who thinks her son should be allowed drive outside the
    laws of the state. They should not apply to him.

Then the last 11 or so minutes were just gold. :)

I just listen because I can't believe how silly people are.

"What are you for real"
    My son should get away with braking the law. Joe, all sad for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Pamela Ubevachi? Or something was that woman.

And she was found to be a massive spoofer!

Alan Shatter and others were behind her.
    I nearly got campagining for her till I copped on.

I know I always say this but I think that may have been the best Liveline EVER. Was in the car and really enjoyed it. Well done to the councillor.
    I was tiling a bathroom at the time and a painter kept talking over it telling me what a c*nt Duffy was. (As if I needed to be told.) I'm off to bed now to listen to the podcast. I hope it's not edited.

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    I was tiling a bathroom at the time and a painter kept talking over it telling me what a c*nt Duffy was. (As if I needed to be told.) I'm off to bed now to listen to the podcast. I hope it's not edited.
    I can't post a link yet to the last of it

Maybe now I can.

https://clyp.it/1rhytp2r

Thanks to a poster a few pages ago.

Listened. The painter was right

sligojoek wrote: »
    Listened. The painter was right

Joe: wat colour paint was he usin' so to speak?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Amused by how quickly he went to defcon 1 as soon as he felt RTE was being slighted,

This really annoys me. When somebody criticizes RTE or him, and the caller says "Are we not allowed to criticize RTE, Joe?", he always responds forthrightly "of COURSE you are, of COURSE you are". But when the councillor today started criticizing him he started saying "You thought I was unfair.... Oh right" sarcastically, and making little derogatory, smart ar$e asides. Then of course when he got another piece of criticism, this was put down as being "oul guff".

But the worst part was when he went on his big tirade, he accused the man of "insulting nigerians", which he didnt. He accused him of "insulting pregnant women", which he certainly didnt. I was just waiting for him to say "you insulted canaries" the thing was gone so farcical. If he played back the tapes, as he commonly suggests when it suits him, he and RTE will find that he was WRONG about the man insulting Nigerians and pregnant. And an apology should be issued to the councillor.

This really annoys me. When somebody criticizes RTE or him, and the caller says "Are we not allowed to criticize RTE, Joe?", he always responds forthrightly "of COURSE you are, of COURSE you are". But when the councillor today started criticizing him he started saying "You thought I was unfair.... Oh right" sarcastically, and making little derogatory, smart ar$e asides. Then of course when he got another piece of criticism, this was put down as being "oul guff".

But the worst part was when he went on his big tirade, he accused the man of "insulting nigerians", which he didnt. He accused him of "insulting pregnant women", which he certainly didnt. I was just waiting for him to say "you insulted canaries" the thing was gone so farcical. If he played back the tapes, as he commonly suggests when it suits him, he and RTE will find that he was WRONG about the man insulting Nigerians and pregnant. And an apology should be issued to the councillor.

An apology? From Joe? That's scheduled for the same show when Bertie Ahern comes in and says "yes Joe, I took bribes and other payments in exchange for political favours and I am corrupt. I also lied and perjured myself at the Mahon Tribunal. I should be in prison. In fact I'm asking the DPP here now to formally charge and imprison me"

An apology? From Joe? "

Well they could get in that usual voiceover stooge, like they do when Joe has offended the BAI, and doesn't have the balls to read out the apology himself. I expect he will probably take a day off on Monday like he usually does when he loses the rag.

Well they could get in that usual voiceover stooge, like they do when Joe has offended the BAI, and doesn't have the balls to read out the apology himself. I expect he will probably take a day off on Monday like he usually does when he loses the rag.

That's my point. Even when he's judged to have crossed the line by the broadcasting watchdog he won't apologise personally, takes a day off, has some stooge make the apology for him then rocks up the next day as if nothing happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I wonder will "the outburst " be on Playback???

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I wonder will Duffys meltdown feature on play back this morning. :).

Here's hoping:) I've a better chance over winningthe euro millions on Friday and the national lottery the next day...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Feck beaten to the line AGAIN...

L1011 wrote: »

This is Lahv Lahn, laws are open to interpretation according to the mood of the host. Some laws such as those regulating the consumption of alcohol whilst in control of a motorised vehicle do not apply to Irish people according to the host, so it is likely the laws around whiskey don't apply either. Equally insurance laws are not to be taken as correct and in this and all matters the ruling of Judge Joseph Duffy shall be taken as the actual, "real" law so to speak. What commoners perceive to be the law of the land does not apply to any case over which Judge Duffy presides. There is s prove however for entering the court of Duffy insofar as the fees for his "wisdom" are co sudeeay higher than in other courts. Thankfully the Irish taxpayer covers these through a special licence so to speak.

His "I'll calm down if you calm down" line was hilarious. Can you ever imagine Pat Kenny having to resort to that type of comment no matter what the provocation? Duffy is completely out of his depth with anything other than the most inane topics such as Mary from Ballyer leaving her favourite umbrella on the 123B to Marino and asking Horatijoe's help for the safe return of this family heirloom. Seamus had only been on 6 minutes when that outburst came, and we had already had the "will you give up yer auld guff" line. The fact is if he can't hold a conversation in which he was being challenged for that short period of time without losing the rag means he's not fit for the job. He also accused the councillor of personally attacking him, which was a stretch to put it mildly. Seamus told Duffy that Sean was "well able for you" and Duffy threw the toys out the pram in record time. God know what the meltdown would have been like had Seamus mentioned fees.....

September 2-16 will be a month Joe won't forget between Paddy Jameson, Sean and Seamus, and the month isn't over yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Plenty of liveline on playback this morning !

But NO judge or cllr

:D:D:D

Oh man I'm still on a buzz from that meltdown .

I still haven't listened to Sean on Wednesday's show. Will likely listen when I walk the dogs later, although I'd be worried about the dogs ears with Joe's wailing...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Also Seamus stated:
    And excuse the pun she nearly had a canary when she discovered that her child would be registered in the United Kingdom cos she wanted it registered south of the border so she would get status to stay here. Joe, what Sean said the other day was 100% right, Joe, and I know you did every trick in the book to try to prove him wrong.

Later Joe exploded:
    So, don't be giving me your oul guff now about me spending 75 minutes, Sean was able for any question anyone asked.
    Okay now he was..
    Hang on, now hang on, before you go off on your white charger there, before you go off on your white horse.
    Sean Deegan was on this programmer for 75 minutes, he was aah allowed speak to whomever he wanted to speak to, now hang on everything you heard was live there was nothing edited anything else okay and he was able to cope with himself.
    You are saying I tried to trick him he didn't say that he hasn't said that. Okay so come down, so come down..
    Which is more than I can say for you since the moment you came on this programme ten minutes ago, you've done nothing but abuse me, abuse RTÉ, abuse nigerians, abuse pregnant women, say to say to actually say..
    For you as an elected representative to say, that, to make a joke about a pregnant woman having a canary is an insult. And you did, you did, you said that woman, she might as well have had a canary. A disgusting. a disgusting thing to say about a pregnant woman. Now Seamus. I’ll calm down if you’ll calm down and I’ll take a quick break and you will be allowed and you will be there as everyone else is regardless of your opinion and your personal abuse of me after the break.

I hope Seamus Traynor sues for damages.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,360 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Plenty of liveline on playback this morning !

But NO judge or cllr

:D:D:D

Oh man I'm still on a buzz from that meltdown .

A serious point needs to be made here - what the hell gives RTE the right to censor the playback records? It's not 'their game, their rules', it's OUR game and WE pay for them to gorge at the trough. WE (or at least, I) feel as if RTE are spitting in my eye when they edit the embarrassing bits out. Embarrassing for the host, and nobody else, I might add.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Embarrassing for the host, and nobody else, I might add.

But I think what is more important Dan, is that there really should never be any reason for Joe Duffy to be embarrassed on Liveline. Not if he's doing his job properly. He is meant to be an impartial host, simply facilitating OTHER PEOPLE voicing THEIR opinions on particular topics. There should be no scope for him to be refuted / contradicted / rebutted / embarrassed as he should never air any opinions for the callers to disagree with. In fact the public should never be even aware of his views on the different topics.

I've heard numerous times callers ask him "Well what do you think, Joe?". Duffy then usually responds with "Oh it's not for me to give an opinion, it's your opinion that matters". But he does have an opinion, on everything. He writes articles for National newpapers with opinion pieces (which should also not be allowed as the supposed impartial presenter). And his opinions ARE evident on Liveline every day.... from his loaded questions, his constant sighing, bullying callers with a different viewpoint, being rude and short with callers, cutting callers off, talking over the callers with HIS opinions.

But like I've said many times before. He should have been called in right at the start when he started doing this, but nobody in RTE had the balls to do it. So he's essentially running the thing on his own at this point.

I agree with everything that's been said above by Peter and others.

I also suspect Joe Duffy doesn't know he's doing it, or he doesn't see it as listeners see it. In the 'old days, TDs and Ministers, members of the Roman Catholic clergy and other supposed-pillars of Irish society expected respect and deference, and usually they got it. They often thought they were doing nothing wrong, thought they were right-on guys, open to being challenged, but would privately, angrily dismiss all criticism as loutish, boorish behaviour.

A family friend of ours is the brother of a former Fianna Fáil Minister of the Haughey era, and every time I hear Joe Duffy lose the rag, I am reminded of that former politician. I see in both men the exact same insistence that they accept criticism, yet go into private meltdown mode when challenged. Power has very thin skin.

That's the culture Joe Duffy grew up with. Far from his duffel-coated student activist days, campaigning for tuppence tea in the Buttery, Joe has assumed the same self-indulgence and hostility to criticism as the ministers and monsignors of the bleak 1970s. Joe Duffy has been surrounded by this deferential culture all his adult life. He learned from the worst of them. Nobody likes to be criticised, but Duffy simply can't and won't tolerate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PathMatcher

I just heard the podcast from yesterday with Joe talking to that councillor. I honestly didn't know whether to laugh or cry. The man's unprofessionalism knows no limits. It would be funny if LL didn't have such a high listenership. He's not even attempting to hide his impartiality any more.

It's becoming more and more obvious he's regularly using the show as a vehicle to drive his own personal agendas, which violates the "Code of Fairness, Objectivity & Impartiality" section of the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland codes and standards.
    Link here if anyone's interested: http://www.bai.ie/en/download/129469/

You don't even have to go very far in the document, this is on the first page:
    (2) Broadcasting codes shall provide –

(a) that all news broadcast by a broadcaster is reported and
    presented in an objective and impartial manner and without any
    expression of the broadcaster‘s own views,

(b) that the broadcast treatment of current affairs, including matters
    which are either of public controversy or the subject of current
    public debate, is fair to all interests concerned and that the
    broadcast matter is presented in an objective and impartial
    manner and without any expression of the broadcaster‘s own
    views,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement