Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline thread 12/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

RTE needs to grow a pair and remove Duffy from this show immediately. He is terribly unprofessional and really bad at the job that he is paid to do. He cannot string two sentences together nor run with a topic.

He never challenged the woman who had the son driving without his L sign but challenged the councillor, went in to a rage, when the councillor had the audacity to challenge his handling of the the direct provision issue.

Listening back to the Podcast again, Duffy was happy to make allegations about what the councillor said that were not true and shout over him when he tried to defend himself from Duffy's onslaught.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Me Weekly Column, by me, Joe Duffy so to speak.

Wat a week, so to speak. Dat rhymes! Well done me! Well done! I'm a poet but I do know it - dat also rhymes by the way, but I'm more on author really doncha know. It was back to de grindstone dis week for me after de week off. I put in a solid 10 hours dis week, all dough 4 a dem were driving up and down to Tullah-More-Ray so to speak. Tank God dat de mileage is tax deductible so to speak. Still no sign a de free Eazy Pass - do day not have a PR company at all at all? I'll drop dis hint wan more toyme but if I don't get de free wan dat I'm entitled ta, I'll be wagin' war on de toll companies next week so to speak.

As yisser all know de show's agenda is set by de callers and dis week I had lots and lots a calls from de refugees so to speak. It's great dat these forden peeple luke up ta me as de man ta solve dare problems and it's just a coincidence dat day all rang in dis week so to speak, it defin-eye-tly wasn't organised at all at all so to speak says I. I did learned abour de plyte a de peeples dat do be livin' in de centres and de appallin' conditions day do be livin' in. All of dare stories were 5000% true and completely believable so to speak. I never got around ta askin' did day have Skoy Sports dough - but I hope dat de free gaff and meals make up for dat. Dare's not a single refugee in dis country dat duzn't be tellin' de truth, the hole truth and nuttin' but de truth so to speak. I mean it's not like Nigerians in particular have a reputation for scammin' and dat.

Felix was on de show. He was great so to speak. He was tellin' about how he was in danger in his country and he left dare ta come ta Ireland via 36 countries on his way here so to speak. His country sounds terribul dangerous, except for de wimin' and de chislers so to speak as he left his wife and child behind him. He also gave me an inisght into the great appeals system whereby if you hang around oong enough and keep doin' de appealin' and de appealin' ya get in in de end so to speak! Great system.

We had a lovely lady on called Patricia who was helping ta free de refugees by buyin' dare freedom. She was almost as great as me so to speak. She's very good at cleabing too, she sent me in dis picture of her sheets - look how white day are:

women_KKK.jpg

I also had some peeple on who weren't byin' wat I was sellin' dis week but being the true pro dat I am I handled dose calls with de dignity, professionalism and impartiality dat I'm known for so to speak. Wan a dem was a barrister but I've seen enough episodes of Matlock ta navigate me way wit de best a de legal eagles so to speak. It was an easy victory for me over de barrister as I bamboozled him wit me logic and me big wurds so to speak. Safe to say dough dat after de baitin' day took from me day will never be heard of on me show again. After de show I got a call from de Minister for Justice askin' me if I wanted ta be a High Court Judge after my performance dat day so to speak. I told him I'd love to, but I couldn't afford de drop in wages.

As a result a me helpin' de peeple dat do be sufferin', wan a de callers gave me the number of a Prince he duz no in Nigeria who needs a cheque for €30 millun cashed in Ireland. He did promised me dat I could have €5milliun if I gave him me bank details and did cashed de check for him so I'll do that next week so ta speak. I mean wat could go wrong? Here's a picture a de prince:

hqdefault.jpg

De same fella also asked me would I like ta write a buke abour de chislers of the Direct Provision Centres so ta speak. I told him I would do it if more chislers did doyed dis year so to speak. He said he'll see what he can do.

De Edgeamacation of De Chislers:
    Wance agin I came ta de resuce of de chislers. I hear yisser all sayin' "Joe, haven't ya done enuff wit de bukes and dat?", but I can't help meself when I do be carin'. So Kneecole couldn't afford de fees in DCU so I shamed dem inta givin' her a scholarship and dat and she can now take de place of some Irish kid insted so to speak. In realitee it was nuttin' ta do wit me, but who am I ta turn down praise and glory so ta speak? I just hope Kneecole finishes before someone in DCU hears the spisode a da show I did about DCU Stewdents throin' shoyte around de train so ta speak......

Funny Friday on a Turrsday:
    De Funny Fryrday Crew went ta Tullah-More-Ray dis week to retell jokes dat your grandad was told by his grandad when he was a chisler. It was de funniest thing I've heard since de last Funny Fryday. Everyone in the crew agreed dat I'm de funniest with my amazing off de cuff puns so to speak. It's great I can help out me showbiz pals by gettin' dem dis gig and de big expenses dat comes wit it so to speak. I'll have ta start chargin' dem commission for me services so to speak.

Dat's it for dis week, keep de faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Just thinking back to the mother defending her son taking his L plates down because he was getting a hard time from other drivers. Will she also be defending him when he is sent out to get the glass hammer or for a long wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Just thinking back to the mother defending her son taking his L plates down because he was getting a hard time from other drivers. Will she also be defending him when he is sent out to get the glass hammer or for a long wait.

She said the Gardai were targeting drivers with L plates who were obviously alone in cars and that is why he took the L plates off.

"It's not like we're criminals up here in Louth the country's most dangerous county for young people speeding Joe!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

Well, the last 6 minutes of Friday's LL were truly magnificent. I'm still prone to burst out laughing on my own in public places as I recall Duffy going into full Ballyer thug mode. It's a wonderful thing to behold when we get it.

It's really amazing to me what a thin skin the man actually has, despite doing this gig for almost 20 years - and being paid a bloody fortune.

During the very heated Brexit referendum coverage, the BBC was often accused of leftie, pro-remain partiality - mostly by Ukip speakers. Whether correct or not, I heard it said on-air on a number of shows across Radio 4 and 5 Live and Newsnight and Question Time on TV.

I cannot for the life of me think of one presenter or moderator loosing the rag when responding and then going on the fooking attack themselves!

It's just so beyond professional for a highly paid broadcaster to do it and these out bursts and 'pub-brawl' type discussions involving Duffy seem to be becoming more frequent.

Not that I'm complaining, I love them.

It is common, in my experience, for RTE staff from the DG to the Toilet Cleaner to be that touchy and defensive about their company. In that context, Duffy's response is not unusual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,201 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    A serious point needs to be made here - what the hell gives RTE the right to censor the playback records? It's not 'their game, their rules', it's OUR game and WE pay for them to gorge at the trough. WE (or at least, I) feel as if RTE are spitting in my eye when they edit the embarrassing bits out. Embarrassing for the host, and nobody else, I might add.
    In all fairness, I think you're mixing up the podcast edition of the programme (which I think, going by posts on here, hasn't been edited) and the programme "Playback" on Saturday morning which plays clips from RTE radio during the week - they played some clips from Da Lahvline, but only truly mortifying ones of Syl Fox and someone else (I've repressed the memory) trying to tell jokes :o

I'd have bet my house and next year's wages against them ever playing that last five minutes again. And I'd have been right!

I'm actually amazed that it hasn't been cut off the podcast edition of the programme. Shows how little regard RTE and the producers pay to that sort of thing, which should NEVER make it to air. If Joe is prone to that, then they should broadcast with a five-minute delay!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I had another listen back today. You're a disgrace, Joe.

He wasn't able to debate in a reasonable manner with his guest. He had to revert to bullyboy tactics and nastiness. Shouting all over him when he was trying to talk. I didn't hear him shoutng over any of the African callers. Listen to the difference in the tone of voice he used. He was in the same mode with the Brazillian policeman a few weeks ago. He's had his own way for long enough. RTE should give him his marching orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

This week has been absolutely brilliant! I podcast it as I can't listen in work which is a shame because I read back and enjoy following this thread as it goes.

Between the absolutely blatant Duffy agenda pushing despite the facts presented to the brilliantly Irish 'racist councillor', we had just about everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,360 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    In all fairness, I think you're mixing up the podcast edition of the programme (which I think, going by posts on here, hasn't been edited) and the programme "Playback" on Saturday morning which plays clips from RTE radio during the week - they played some clips from Da Lahvline, but only truly mortifying ones of Syl Fox and someone else (I've repressed the memory) trying to tell jokes :o

I'd have bet my house and next year's wages against them ever playing that last five minutes again. And I'd have been right!

I'm actually amazed that it hasn't been cut off the podcast edition of the programme. Shows how little regard RTE and the producers pay to that sort of thing, which should NEVER make it to air. If Joe is prone to that, then they should broadcast with a five-minute delay!

Well, surprise here, and credit to somebody at RTE for not cutting it out (perhaps somebody felt it needed to left in); but we know the podcasts have had some of the juicy bits cut out in the past, so perhaps things are changing slightly for the better.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

but we know the podcasts have had some of the juicy bits cut out in the past, so perhaps things are changing slightly for the better.

Nah I reckon they just don't give a sh1te or care what anyone thinks, especially going by the replies we all got on Brazilgate.

• Advertisement

Well, surprise here, and credit to somebody at RTE for not cutting it out (perhaps somebody felt it needed to left in); but we know the podcasts have had some of the juicy bits cut out in the past, so perhaps things are changing slightly for the better.

I genuinely think the fact that it was a Friday afternoon probably affected the lack of editing. Faced with the choice of staying late (late being after 3:15pm) and editing the podcast or hitting the road at the usual time I think they chose option B. No one cares in there and the host is clearly untouchable. The gun incident in Brazil never happened remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Wat a week, so to speak. Dat rhymes! Well done me! Well done! I'm a poet but I do know it - dat also rhymes by the way, but I'm more on author really doncha know. It was back to de grindstone dis week for me after de week off. I put in a solid 10 hours dis week, all dough 4 a dem were driving up and down to Tullah-More-Ray so to speak. Tank God dat de mileage is tax deductible so to speak. Still no sign a de free Eazy Pass - do day not have a PR company at all at all? I'll drop dis hint wan more toyme but if I don't get de free wan dat I'm entitled ta, I'll be wagin' war on de toll companies next week so to speak.

As yisser all know de show's agenda is set by de callers and dis week I had lots and lots a calls from de refugees so to speak. It's great dat these forden peeple luke up ta me as de man ta solve dare problems and it's just a coincidence dat day all rang in dis week so to speak, it defin-eye-tly wasn't organised at all at all so to speak says I. I did learned abour de plyte a de peeples dat do be livin' in de centres and de appallin' conditions day do be livin' in. All of dare stories were 5000% true and completely believable so to speak. I never got around ta askin' did day have Skoy Sports dough - but I hope dat de free gaff and meals make up for dat. Dare's not a single refugee in dis country dat duzn't be tellin' de truth, the hole truth and nuttin' but de truth so to speak. I mean it's not like Nigerians in particular have a reputation for scammin' and dat.

Felix was on de show. He was great so to speak. He was tellin' about how he was in danger in his country and he left dare ta come ta Ireland via 36 countries on his way here so to speak. His country sounds terribul dangerous, except for de wimin' and de chislers so to speak as he left his wife and child behind him. He also gave me an inisght into the great appeals system whereby if you hang around oong enough and keep doin' de appealin' and de appealin' ya get in in de end so to speak! Great system.

We had a lovely lady on called Patricia who was helping ta free de refugees by buyin' dare freedom. She was almost as great as me so to speak. She's very good at cleabing too, she sent me in dis picture of her sheets - look how white day are:

women_KKK.jpg

I also had some peeple on who weren't byin' wat I was sellin' dis week but being the true pro dat I am I handled dose calls with de dignity, professionalism and impartiality dat I'm known for so to speak. Wan a dem was a barrister but I've seen enough episodes of Matlock ta navigate me way wit de best a de legal eagles so to speak. It was an easy victory for me over de barrister as I bamboozled him wit me logic and me big wurds so to speak. Safe to say dough dat after de baitin' day took from me day will never be heard of on me show again. After de show I got a call from de Minister for Justice askin' me if I wanted ta be a High Court Judge after my performance dat day so to speak. I told him I'd love to, but I couldn't afford de drop in wages.

As a result a me helpin' de peeple dat do be sufferin', wan a de callers gave me the number of a Prince he duz no in Nigeria who needs a cheque for €30 millun cashed in Ireland. He did promised me dat I could have €5milliun if I gave him me bank details and did cashed de check for him so I'll do that next week so ta speak. I mean wat could go wrong? Here's a picture a de prince:

hqdefault.jpg

De same fella also asked me would I like ta write a buke abour de chislers of the Direct Provision Centres so ta speak. I told him I would do it if more chislers did doyed dis year so to speak. He said he'll see what he can do.

De Edgeamacation of De Chislers:
    Wance agin I came ta de resuce of de chislers. I hear yisser all sayin' "Joe, haven't ya done enuff wit de bukes and dat?", but I can't help meself when I do be carin'. So Kneecole couldn't afford de fees in DCU so I shamed dem inta givin' her a scholarship and dat and she can now take de place of some Irish kid insted so to speak. In realitee it was nuttin' ta do wit me, but who am I ta turn down praise and glory so ta speak? I just hope Kneecole finishes before someone in DCU hears the spisode a da show I did about DCU Stewdents throin' shoyte around de train so ta speak......

Funny Friday on a Turrsday:
    De Funny Fryrday Crew went ta Tullah-More-Ray dis week to retell jokes dat your grandad was told by his grandad when he was a chisler. It was de funniest thing I've heard since de last Funny Fryday. Everyone in the crew agreed dat I'm de funniest with my amazing off de cuff puns so to speak. It's great I can help out me showbiz pals by gettin' dem dis gig and de big expenses dat comes wit it so to speak. I'll have ta start chargin' dem commission for me services so to speak.

This could be a new beginning Butters, didn't Ross O Carroll Kelly start with a weekly collum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Will be interesting to see if he's in tomorrow. Doesn't he usually go missing til the storm blows over. Just had a scout around the internet to see if it was mentioned on any of the newspapers, but nothing so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Looking forward to next weeks. smile.png

Greenman wrote: »
    Looking forward to next weeks. smile.png

I've been doing it for a few weeks now so to speak...tbh I thought that was one of my weaker efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

snubbleste wrote: »
    Councillor Seamus Traynor v. Joe Duffy, Lahvline, 23 September 2016
    https://clyp.it/1rhytp2r

Good job something for the Dublin city time capsule. smile.png

• Registered Users Posts: 39,360 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

vnBTLon.jpg
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Here's hoping for a new bingo card

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I've been doing it for a few weeks now so to speak...tbh I thought that was one of my weaker efforts.
    I thought so too. C- Try harder

I thought so too. C- Try harder

I'm sorry....:(

Lot going on at the mo., wasn't in great form so to speak. I'll try harder next week.

• Advertisement

Here's hoping for a new bingo card

I had about 90% of version 3.0 completed when my laptop died and went to laptopheaven. I had put A LOT of work into this one, not sure I have the heart or patience to start it again......Do I get a ban now (to go with all of my other ones so to speak)?

I had about 90% of version 3.0 completed when my laptop died and went to laptopheaven. I had put A LOT of work into this one, not sure I have the heart or patience to start it again......Do I get a ban now (to go with all of my other ones so to speak)?

What's wrong with the laptop Butters, I might be able to advise.

What's wrong with the laptop Butters, I might be able to advise.

It was a donkeys years old Dell piece of crap. I have a mac bookbuke pro dat I do use for udder stuff so to speak but I was doing de Bingo Card on de Dell. "Tá sé f*cked" is the technical term for it. Will know in the next day or two if the data is retrievable so to speak, but tanks a tousind for de offer Peter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Do people still use laptops? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,201 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Hitchens wrote: »
    Eh, yeah...... :confused:

It was a donkeys years old Dell piece of crap. I have a mac bookbuke pro dat I do use for udder stuff so to speak but I was doing de Bingo Card on de Dell. "Tá sé f*cked" is the technical term for it. Will know in the next day or two if the data is retrievable so to speak, but tanks a tousind for de offer Peter.

I'd pull the hard disk out of it, and either connect it to a desktop or get an external USB sata drive tray. Then see if you can get the information from it. Dat's wot Oi'd do.

People over ten years of age :p

Really looking forward to another week of Joe Duffy Beat Downs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You'd want to be mental to work on a tablet device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Cdosrun

I'd pull the hard disk out of it, and either connect it to a desktop or get an external USB sata drive tray. Then see if you can get the information from it. Dat's wot Oi'd do.

I have a mac and connectors to do this but you can if you have the disc that came with it go to utilities then disc.......
    Well it tells you what to do to try repair it .

Did you see duffers best mate BoC on Ray d'arsy show.?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Cdosrun

So thinking again the bad HD is windows but you have a Mac aswell.
    Go to restore and save data.

Sorry for being off topic but the thread wouldn't be the same without Butterski.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement