Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline thread 12/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I still haven't heard the show btw but I was puzzled as to WHOY Joe would defend a guy so blatantly (it appears from your comments) in spite of the available evidence.

Then I heard The Communicarions Clinic issued the OCI Press Release. And guess what? They're also THG's PR firm. Conflict of interest there? You betcha.

So who are The Communications Clinic?

Terry Prone, Tom Savage and Anton Savage + others.

I doubt Probe needs any introduction so to speak?
    Tom Savage is a director of TCC. He's also the Chairman of the RTE Authority. Potential conflict? I'll let you decide that after you read this:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/should-tom-savage-quit-rte-yes-196125.html

And there's a lot more. Google is your friend.

RTÉ looking after the interests of their own again.

While you're at it, Google "The Communicatons Clinic" and "bullying case" for other useful info.

Joe: and now de Russian dat did bet or did not bet more to de pint Michael Conlon can't fight anymore so to speak as he's too hurted and injured after de baitin' he did got from de Conlon and yet he still duz be gettin' de bronze medal so to speak? It's a disgrace says I. Shame on you Vladdy-meer Pooh-teen.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,204 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The shooting in Ma-DJOR-ca will get Joe out of the hole he dug for himself yesterday re Pat Hickey.

I'm willing to bet a large amount that Hickey will not be mentioned at all today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So who are The Communications Clinic?

Terry Prone, Tom Savage and Anton Savage + others.

Any nobody should have been surprised when Anton opened the show questioning the manner of how the Brazilian police handle the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Brian should come back and get a job in rte. he put rings around Joe.
    Listened back to yesterdays caller Bryan, an Irish man in Russia, he sounded very polished. Turns out he is a journo, not with RTE but RT.

https://www.rt.com/op-edge/authors/bryan-macdonald/

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Advertisement

dvcireland wrote: »
    Listened back to yesterdays caller Bryan, an Irish man in Russia, he sounded very polished. Turns out he is a journo, not with RTE but RT.

That Bryan fella was CLASS! Was having none of Joe's flippant, ignorant one-liners that he likes to throw out (and presumably thinks make him look knowledgeable) and wasn't afraid to put him right. Put him right back in his box (to use a current phrase) a few times. Made for excellent listening!! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The shooting in Ma-DJOR-ca will get Joe out of the hole he dug for himself yesterday re Pat Hickey.
    I'm willing to bet a large amount that Hickey will not be mentioned at all today.
    Ooooh, how much, caller?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

dvcireland wrote: »
    Joe mentioned that Bryan was a journalist in Moscow though, but not with which organisation. The question is... did Joe call Bryan on this listener-driven topic show?

He's curious though. http://www.interpretermag.com/life-of-bryan-how-an-rt-columnist-tries-to-influence-the-debate-on-russia-and-ukraine/

snubbleste wrote: »
    Joe mentioned that Bryan was a journalist in Moscow though, but not with which organisation. The question is... did Joe call Bryan on this listener-driven topic show?

I'm willing to bet even more than in my last post that Joe rang not only Bryan but the Russian fella also.... the Russian sounded completely bemused as to why he was on, seeing as he hadn't even seen the fight!

And the tone of most of Bryan's call sounded to me like "hold on a second there, I get rung up and interrogated by some ignoramus who can't even get basic facts right and keeps attributing things i say about Russian opinions to me.... well I'm not having that!". Good man Bryan!!!

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Any nobody should have been surprised when Anton opened the show questioning the manner of how the Brazilian police handle the whole thing.

I don't listen but I'm surprised he even went there. Best thing for him give his own conflict in the area (he's MD of TCC) would have been to do a Joe in it and completely ignore it.

Will anyone in de meeja call him out on this? Of course not.

• Advertisement

I've never listened to Anton Savage, but I wonder how you can have unbiased journalistic integrity when you're the director of a PR firm, dedicated to manouvering public figures from media shitstorms.

That just does not compute, I'm quite surprised Anton Savage isn't challenged on it more openly. I'm aware that his show would be described as light entertainment, but I assume it does also broadcast current-affairs items where Savage has an opportunity to express an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

That's news to me, but I'm not one bit surprised.

Did you like my PM Kev? ;)

Got the PM thanks, some good reading in that.

The Delaney story is here, as well as in several other media outlets.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/2016/0805/807282-hickey-delaney-will-be-long-term-oci-successor/

The bye-line should read "Shameless junket junkie replaces shameless junket junkie"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

Oh if ONLY I could tell that story publicly Kev.............

Ah Butters fill us in. Sure, as we all know, Joe doesn't be having the internet in his studio, so he'll never see it!

Ah Butters fill us in. Sure, as we all know, Joe doesn't be having the internet in his studio, so he'll never see it!

It's not Joe I'm worried about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

I still haven't heard the show btw but I was puzzled as to WHOY Joe would defend a guy so blatantly (it appears from your comments) in spite of the available evidence.

I read your post and decided to listen back to the podcast yesterday to see what I thought of Duffy. (Not that I do in everything in my life based on your suggestions, Butters :pac:)

But I was surprised how Duffy went through the report about Pat Hickey line by line discrediting every word that was said .. For example he read out that it was reported that "Pat Hickey's wife answered the door to the Brazilian Police and said that he had left the country", Duffy responded with "Well that could have been lost in translation " etc etc..

Duffy NEVER gives the private companies that he ambushes the same benefit of the doubt that he gave Pat Hickey.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Is Pat Hickey getting fair treatment by the media? Hmmmm
    Public liability insewrdance.
    Vodafone agressive door to door selling.

Just listened to the promo.

More strong defending of Pat Hickey. Joe Duffy read out something that a political spin doctor would be proud of, the jist of it is that Pat is "an innocent mon" and he's being treated badly by the media. It's all very subtle, but very obviously loaded pro-Hickey.

Also more guff on public liability insurdance and something else.

So will Joe go with the former; a story that's being done worldwide or will he go trying to launch a search and rescue action for Mary's cat which has escaped in Ballyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I imagine he'll lambast Conor McGregor for throwing bottles around in order to avoid talking about Pat Hickey and our dear leader John Delaney...

My guess is, none of the above.

He'll cover the shooting in Spain. Especially as one of the Hutches (Great bunch o lads) was the intended target.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

FYP.

Talk to anyone senior in the club (League of Ireland) scene and you may get a very different perspective on Mr. Delaney so to speak......

i was being sarcastic. Delaney got the job because his daddy had the job. Someone on 40k or even a volunteer could do a perfectly fine job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

sligojoek wrote: »
    He'll cover the shooting in Spain. Especially as one of the Hutches (Great bunch o lads) was the intended target.

Terrible story Joe.. Man shot dead in front of his family by one of those rats. All because he went on holidays to celebrate his fortieth birthday with his family. Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Red Kev wrote: »
    Just listened to the promo.

More strong defending of Pat Hickey. Joe Duffy read out something that a political spin doctor would be proud of, the jist of it is that Pat is "an innocent mon" and he's being treated badly by the media. It's all very subtle, but very obviously loaded pro-Hickey.

Also more guff on public liability insurdance and something else.

So will Joe go with the former; a story that's being done worldwide or will he go trying to launch a search and rescue action for Mary's cat which has escaped in Ballyer.

" more defending of Pat Hickey"

Ever occur to you guys that "more defending of Pat Hickey" would be practically guaranteed to rise the hackles of most of the populace of Ireland ,on one side or another.

So extrapolate from that that the tension and bile on TLL today will be mega.

That's the object of the exercise as far as Jaoe is concerned, innit?

Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

AIne Lawlor''s performance on the main lunchtime new programme on the so called national broadcaster is embarrassing , giggling , giddiness , misinformed , opinionated and partial , not to mention the fuzzy phone lines to RIo , is EVERYONE in RTE on holidays , is anyone competent left supervising output ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Oops69 wrote: »
    AIne Lawlor''s performance on the main lunchtime new programme on the so called national broadcaster is embarrassing , giggling , giddiness , misinformed , opinionated and partial , not to mention the fuzzy phone lines to RIo , is EVERYONE in RTE on holidays , is anyone competent left supervising output ?

She's dreadful. Everything is hilarious to her.

Oops69 wrote: »
    I was just saying something similar to myself.

Stuttering and stammering and getting names ar$eways.
    Speaking of which, Now we have Siobhan Madigan.

I read your post and decided to listen back to the podcast yesterday to see what I thought of Duffy. (Not that I do in everything in my life based on your suggestions, Butters :pac:)

But I was surprised how Duffy went through the report about Pat Hickey line by line discrediting every word that was said .. For example he read out that it was reported that "Pat Hickey's wife answered the door to the Brazilian Police and said that he had left the country", Duffy responded with "Well that could have been lost in translation " etc etc..

Duffy NEVER gives the private companies that he ambushes the same benefit of the doubt that he gave Pat Hickey.
    I suppose one reason why Joe is being so cautious is because he is a contractor, not an employee, and unlike an employee, he could be personally liable in a defamation action involving anything discussed on the show.

In fairness now, in fairness, he does take the law into his hands from time to time, in cases of stolen cars and con-men roofers (the bad, bad bastards), but that's probably because he so much enjoys when the Producer lets him wear his sheriff's hat & badge & sit in his high chair. Generally speaking, however, Joe is very careful of being sued. Very Careful now, in fairness, in fairness.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

• Registered Users Posts: 82,323 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

That_Guy wrote: »
    I imagine he'll lambast Conor McGregor for throwing bottles around in order to avoid talking about Pat Hickey and our dear leader John Delaney...

Wasn't bottles it was cans :pac:

I suppose one reason why Joe is being so cautious is because he is a contractor, not an employee, and unlike an employee, he could be personally liable in a defamation action involving anything discussed on the show.

No, he can only be held liable for what he personally says. If someone comes on and defames somebody, then RTE is liable. As in the Monica Leech case.

Of course Joe is no stranger to slandering by innuendo, but he'll only do that to the common, weaker people, not to the good, great and powerful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

The happy shamrock bar in Santa ponsa must get a mention today .... Thing is there probably is a bar called that there... Or FInnegans , one or the other .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement