Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best pubs in Meath

Options
  • 12-08-2016 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi there

Please can people recommend good pubs in Meath.

Places with a bit of class I can bring my wife to. I'm thinking cosy, good food and drink. Craft beer and maybe cocktails.

Thanks
    Ed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

The Central in Navan ticks all those boxes, can't speak for other towns in the county

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Central is good for cocktails, had a Carrig IPA draft there recently, very nice; they have Boyne Brewery on tap, and lots of bottles. The only issue I have is the size of the place, about 5 different areas.

Ryans in Navan has a smashing new cocktail bar area, craft-wise there's only McGargles. Always enjoy it, lively when there's a band in the place....

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Unfortunately if its food your'e after the Central is the only place, for craic and a bit buse the Royal is a great place, for music and Rugby it has to be Beggys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Lenihans in trim or just trim in general ...Navan is a kip to go out in at night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Not sure what craft beers they do but I'd be recommending The Snailbox. Nothing fancy but a very comfortable and enjoyable place for a bite to eat and a few pints.

The have amazing spicy chicken wings!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭paul71

Ed* wrote: »
    Hi there

Please can people recommend good pubs in Meath.

Places with a bit of class I can bring my wife to. I'm thinking cosy, good food and drink. Craft beer and maybe cocktails.

Thanks
    Ed

Kind of a pointless exercise unless you give us an idea of where you are thinking of, no point in recommending a pub in Oldcastle if you are in Bettystown. a pub in Kildare could be better if you are in Kilcloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Vego wrote: »
    Lenihans in trim or just trim in general ...Navan is a kip to go out in at night

Really? Care to tell us why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Really? Care to tell us why?

Probably because he lives in Trim.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Twigster

Not a single pub in Trim doing decent food, there's a couple of decent pubs alright, but you'd want to be going to a restaurant first for grub. Still miss Brogans for a pint and a bite to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

Was in Lenihans last night in Trim - very nice spot.

Bradys in Dunboyne is a great pub - especially when the trad sessions are going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    Probably because he lives in Trim.:)

Or owns a pub there

Caffrey's in Oldcastle is very nice. Does good food also.
    Marcie's in Trim is my new local. It's great when you can get a seat for yourself. - No food
    The Auld Stand in Ratoath. (It was the pricier of the establishments in the town) It's got a distinctly different atmosphere between the bar and lounge which is not something that commonplace anymore. - No food but you could go with Ryan's for some grub.
    Swan's of Curragha is lovely too and they do a free courtesy bus back to Ratoath and Ashbourne.
    Kelly's in Ashbourne and Brady's in Dunboyne. Can't fault either from my visits there. - No food
    Caffery's in Batterstown. Another place with good grub.
    And my pick in Dunshaughlin would be the Arch Bar. - No food

I've only had a couple of daytime pints in Navan so can't really comment.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Twigster wrote: »
    Not a single pub in Trim doing decent food, there's a couple of decent pubs alright, but you'd want to be going to a restaurant first for grub. Still miss Brogans for a pint and a bite to eat.

Totally agree.

Lenihans is ok, but they just seem to be interested in cramming the place full of kids rather than making a nice local out of the place. All about money I suppose.

No pubs doing food though in a town the size of Trim is a bit mental.

Loved Brogans, nice mixed crowd and great for a night with friends. Can't believe someone hasn't taken it over, there was nowhere else as good in Trim. Rest of the pubs are either very quiet, or for specific groups - teens/20s or old folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hoanymole

Thanks everyone for your replies and apologies for my lack of response/appreciation.

We are living in Dunshaughlin.

Really what I am looking for are places that are offering something a bit different to just the standard pints and carvery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Ryans in Navan is a very classy pub. Lots of bar staff and stylish. Big tellies everywhere for sport. The Central is a decent enough spot but I find downstairs very narrow and dark. Upstairs outdoor smoking area has a good buzz in the good weather, and the vintage lounge is busy but nice too. The Royal is lovely when it is quiet, but it gets wedged and gets uncomfortable, and hard to get served. My favourite is Rowleys in the Newgrange Hotel. It's not the newest place, but I love it on a Saturday night as a live music venue. Has plenty of staff too, and serves fairly late. Palace nightclub is nice too

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Pudsey64

PauloMN wrote: »
    Totally agree.

Lenihans is ok, but they just seem to be interested in cramming the place full of kids rather than making a nice local out of the place. All about money I suppose.

No pubs doing food though in a town the size of Trim is a bit mental.

Loved Brogans, nice mixed crowd and great for a night with friends. Can't believe someone hasn't taken it over, there was nowhere else as good in Trim. Rest of the pubs are either very quiet, or for specific groups - teens/20s or old folks.
    Brogan's reopening soon.
    According to Whats on in Trim facebook page

Pudsey64 wrote: »
    Brogan's reopening soon.

6th December, can't wait, was a great pub, friendly atmosphere and good food. Hopefully they can do a good job on it.

Pudsey64 wrote: »
    Brogan's reopening soon.

Super stuff. Having recently moved to the town I'd enquired a few times about why the pub was closed.

Is this the post you're referring to?
    14962734_1546395818710959_4771801992524182254_n.jpg?oh=a6fb2828f277530ed17f5036b6f9f425&oe=58903B78

The very best of luck to them.

Super stuff. Having recently moved to the town I'd enquired a few times about why the pub was closed.

That's the one, as far as I know it was previously owned by a group of people and the banks got involved resulting in it closing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Delighted to hear about Brogans. Was my favourite spot in Trim, will be happy to have it back as the choice of pubs in Trim for the size of the town is dire.

• Advertisement
Advertisement