Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to Limerick

• 12-08-2016 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello, I am moving to Limerick and I am choosing out of the following places:
    Ballinacurra,
    Old Windmill Court, Lower Gerald Griffin Street,
    corbally,
    Donnellan's Buildings,
    The haymarket cathedral place
    Chapel court
    Johnsgate village,
    Rhebogue road,
    Mahon house upper william street,
    Kilmurry
    Garryowen ,
    Janesboro

Please let me know if one of these places is unsafe/rough place.

Thank you in advance
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

None of those are particularly great, to be honest.

There is a really shortage of decent accommodation in Limerick City Centre.

If you want to live near the centre, I would recommend:

North Circular Road
    Clancy Strand
    O'Callaghan Strand (Fernhill or Rosehill)
    Ennis Road
    Barrington Street
    Upper O'Connell Street
    Pery Square
    Cecil Street
    Catherine Street
    Glentworth Street
    Henry Street
    Joseph Street
    Wolfe Tone Street
    South Circular Road
    Ballinacurra Road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Of all the places listed the only one which may be worth looking at is Corbally. Depends what part of Corbally you have found.
    You are obviously doing a lowest-cost search...the results you are getting are all priced at the cheapest end of the market for one reason only. People would rather not live there.
    Have a look at some of the areas Zulutango mentioned,. The ones towards the bottom of his list might give you somewhere relatively affordable and all would be far better to live in than any in your original post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Old Windmill Court is nice.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mallannius

Would you please recommend the good places? ( I don't mind staying far from the city). I heard Castletroy, Dooradoyle and Raheen are good

A lot of Castletroy is Student territory (not what you want). Unless you look towards Annacotty or Monaleen, slightly further out from the City but a lot "quieter" than Castletroy.

Raheen/Dooradoyle are pretty much the same area and in general this is probably the area to look towards if renting. Good public transport, plenty of amenities (both shopping & schools), one of the "easier" rush-hour" traffic zones (to access the City).
    Probably the highest percentage of Subarban Renters would live in Dooradoyle/Raheen, so this does mean a nice mix of Cultures and Nationalities and so you should always find it easier to settle in.

edit; you didn't say if you are going to be on your own or moving here with Family. If with Family, I would definitely look towards Dooradoyle...if on your own perhaps just off O'Connell Avenue (Joseph St., Wolfe Tone Street, etc)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

Haymarket is grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

mallannius wrote: »
    Hello, I am moving to Limerick and I am choosing out of the following places:
    Ballinacurra,
    Old Windmill Court, Lower Gerald Griffin Street,
    corbally,
    Donnellan's Buildings,
    The haymarket cathedral place
    Chapel court
    Johnsgate village,
    Rhebogue road,
    Mahon house upper william street,
    Kilmurry
    Garryowen ,
    Janesboro

Please let me know if one of these places is unsafe/rough place.

Thank you in advance

What's wrong with Ballinacurra?
    There's a big difference between ballinacurra and ballinacurra Weston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Some weird sensationalism on this thread. Ballinacura is mostly very nice (not Balinacurra Weston) as is pretty much all of Corbally. And Rhebogue Road is only not great if detached houses with big gardens on a rural feeling road 2 minutes walk from the river and 15 minutes walk from town aren't your thing. There are parts of Rhebogue to be wary of but that's mainly Drominbeg and Dromroe rather than Rhebogue Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mallannius

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Of all the places listed the only one which may be worth looking at is Corbally. Depends what part of Corbally you have found.
    You are obviously doing a lowest-cost search...the results you are getting are all priced at the cheapest end of the market for one reason only. People would rather not live there.
    Have a look at some of the areas Zulutango mentioned,. The ones towards the bottom of his list might give you somewhere relatively affordable and all would be far better to live in than any in your original post

Thank you, I am asking about Carraig Midhe in Corbally

Carraig Midhe is at the very outer edge of Corbally. Probably the worst place for heavy traffic if you are working in the city and starting work between 8:30 and 9:15 am. Just as bad in the evening going home.
    This applies for driving, using Taxis or getting the Bus.

• Advertisement

Carraig Midhe is at the very outer edge of Corbally. Probably the worst place for heavy traffic if you are working in the city and starting work between 8:30 and 9:15 am. Just as bad in the evening going home.
    This applies for driving, using Taxis or getting the Bus.

Carraig Midhe is grand. Traffic is a problem out that entire direction, as it is in the other direction's towards Raheen or Castletroy.

It is just, well, normal rush hour traffic.

Corbally's traffic is well known to be the worst in Limerick.
    Usually bumper to bumper from Larkin's cross all the way to the city centre.
    No other suburb of Limerick has this level of unbroken congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Corbally's traffic is well known to be the worst in Limerick.
    Usually bumper to bumper from Larkin's cross all the way to the city centre.
    No other suburb of Limerick has this level of unbroken congestion.

Traffic lights at Westbury and top of the Mill Road may make it seem like that but I've never seen it bumper to bumper that whole distance. Athlunkard Street to O'Drisocolls maybe but only 8.30am to 9am weekdays. Coming out of town, you'd get up the Corbally Road with one change of lights.

I'm not saying any more on this as I couldn't be bothered getting into a petty arguement.
    But, as I've have already mentioned, the rush hour morning traffic from corbally into the city centre is the heaviest in Limerick.
    This is speaking from 15 years experience driving from all suburbs into the city centre every weekday as part of my job.

I am simply advising the OP that this would be an issue that may affect their decision on location. It is not "having a go" at anywhere.

...and there's no need to quote me when you are replying in the next post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭goochy

OP, unfortunately due to limericks small size you will always be close to a rough . Are you irish ? If not are you aware it is Ireland's Detroit ? It's not as bad as Detroit of course but it is our version of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is a real sense of irony in a post from a Dub living in Cork comparing Limerick to Detroit. Kettle, pot and black come to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

bazz26 wrote: »
    There is a real sense of irony in a post from a Dub living in Cork comparing Limerick to Detroit. Kettle, pot and black come to mind.

Never mind him, he loves to bash Limerick.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mod Note: Goochy gone on holidays for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

Jesus people love to bash limerick. I'm living in raheen 3 years, moved from Dublin when I changed career. Limerick is a great city. Sure there is poverty and bad neighbourhoods but theyre everywhere, there are plenty of estates in dublin you wouldn't go near too but there are plenty of great parts to it as well. Same with limerick. Looking forward to the regeneration to the opera house area, the hanging gardens, and the flats outside the train station, big changes coming for the Lady!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Jesus people love to bash limerick. I'm living in raheen 3 years, moved from Dublin when I changed career. Limerick is a great city. Sure there is poverty and bad neighbourhoods but theyre everywhere, there are plenty of estates in dublin you wouldn't go near too but there are plenty of great parts to it as well. Same with limerick. Looking forward to the regeneration to the opera house area, the hanging gardens, and the flats outside the train station, big changes coming for the Lady!

Agree, was there for 7 years and loved every minute of it, just wasn't close enough to my family we moved back to Mayo, but will always see it and its people as my 2nd home. Gerry Ryan (RIP) spent his time bashing it and I detested him for it. Every place has bad spots and people but Limerick is a top city and people should be proud of it.

• Advertisement

I've been living in an area that I was told was "very rough" by loads of people for over a year now.

Christ I haven't seen or experienced one single bad incident there in all that time.

I should have moved there years ago and saved myself a fortune in rent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

goochy wrote: »
    OP, unfortunately due to limericks small size you will always be close to a rough . Are you irish ? If not are you aware it is Ireland's Detroit ? It's not as bad as Detroit of course but it is our version of it.

The closest Ireland ever got to Detroit was definitely Cork. The bleakness in the 80s when Ford closed. I remember driving through the city on holidays with the family and the men sitting around despondent. I was only a kid but the bleakness was very much in your face.

Cork has done well since then though thankfully. Apple and the whole biopharma thing etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Goochy is just feeling bad that because in his last thread, which he starts by claiming to love Limerick, the facts didn't back up his claims about the city being totally derelict and deprived. He felt very hard done by when it was pointed out what a high level of disposable income people, on average, enjoy in Limerick. And how those of us that live in areas where we can't see abandoned building sites don't feel like they ruin our day to day lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

yop wrote: »
    Agree, was there for 7 years and loved every minute of it, just wasn't close enough to my family we moved back to Mayo, but will always see it and its people as my 2nd home. Gerry Ryan (RIP) spent his time bashing it and I detested him for it. Every place has bad spots and people but Limerick is a top city and people should be proud of it.

He wasn't the only one...some of the stunts Pat Kenny and his team used to pull would make you pale!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

goochy wrote: »

I think if i was to argue the toss with every person who slights Limerick i'd lose my own sanity.As i have said again and again Limerick is a great city with great people.The friendliest and most kind hearted city in the country imo.Im sure the op will love Limerick and wherever the op picks to live im 99% certain that he/she will be fine.You have good and bad everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Throughout the world dereliction and run down areas are associated with poverty and disadvantage, crime, unemployment, social issues, etc.

In Limerick it's a bit more complex. We have a derelict and uninviting city centre, but it's not so directly linked to the factors above. It's generally to do with poor planning and historic mismanagement and it gives the impression that it's a 'rough' city, which really isn't the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

OP, I'm from Cork but have been living in Limerick for nearly 7 years. I prefer living in Limerick to Cork.

Castletroy is a lovely area. I see someone mentioned that it was full of students which simply isn't true. There are plenty of estates around with little or no students in them, however there is literally no accommodation to rent there at the moment. Ballinacurra, as mentioned already, is a lovely old part of the city but avoid nearby Weston.

I wouldn't live in Corbally myself. I've driven from there to town at different times of the day enough times to know it's a nightmare. Trying to get past the lights in St Mary's and make it to town is a complete disaster and not something I'd recommend doing.

I think Raheen is a bit soulless but that's just my opinion.

I'm about to move into the city centre myself and can't wait. Some nice apartments and houses to rent but they can be expensive. Preferable areas are O'Connell Avenue, Joseph St, Wolfe Tone St.

Advertisement