Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work has problem with my beard and way I dress

Options
  • 12-08-2016 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

Hi every one.

Today I was called into a meeting with my manager over my beard and was told to shave it off as it it not suitable for the work place. We don't deal with people face to face and no one Vists the office. I was also brought up on what I wear I wear super skinny jeans, blazer, shirt or t shirt every day with boots.

My Co worker was told to get a hair cut and wash himself as well.

I work in a it company and we have no dress code In our hand book other then ripped jeans and shorts are not aload. But everything else is fine.

What can I do about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Buy a razor, some more shirts and some regular trousers over the weekend. On Monday morning, use them.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Conform

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Laura_A

Buy a razor, some more shirts and some regular trousers over the weekend. On Monday morning, use them.

Dont do this - your boss cant tell you to shave off your beard unless they have it in a handbook for health and safety reasons etc - they cant tell you to shave your beard in the same way that they a company couldn't force me to wear high heels (i've had that row with a previous company and it cannot be enforced so I would imagine same rules apply for something like a beard if there is no health and safety issue)

To be honest what you are wearing sounds perfectly acceptable for an IT company, if you have IT skills you are in demand - start interviewing with other companies as if they are more worried about your skinny jeans and a beard than the skills you are offering them there is plenty of IT companies crying out for staff that wont have the same problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

How long is the beard? Is it one of those hipster ones? I'd shave it and respect their wishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

The hipster trend is surely over by now? Maybe it's time to move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Are you a lady? Ladies with beards tend to rob stationery.

They are giving you money... you're there to work - not express your individuality. Have you considered wearing a stick on beard at home?

Stick the attached on the mirror of the work jacks, then you can be all beardy on your poo break.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/10/25/1b/10251b3e917529ef7db9d8dbdafb1c52.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

They can pretty much have any dress code they want , so not sure how much you can fight this , as long as they are not discriminating against a Burka or something.
    You will find lots of other IT companies who don't give a fig , so I would dust the CV down.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Tell them you have it for religious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Surprised no one has asked yet, M or F?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,577 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Hi every one.

Today I was called into a meeting with my manager over my beard and was told to shave it off as it it not suitable for the work place. We don't deal with people face to face and no one Vists the office. I was also brought up on what I wear I wear super skinny jeans, blazer, shirt or t shirt every day with boots.

Not being funny here (work in IT myself and standard dress for me is jeans and tshirt) but exactly how skinny are super skinny jeans? Are they so tight that your meat and 2 veg are bulging and making others in the office uncomfortable?

What t-shirts do you wear? Plain black/white/grey or megadeat ones or "witty" IT ones?

I work in a it company and we have no dress code In our hand book other then ripped jeans and shorts are not aload. But everything else is fine.

If someone has lank greasy hair and bad BO then manager was right to pull Co worker up on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Stop elevating the right to have unwashed hair and a beard to an epic fight against conformity.

Conversely, find another job that allows you to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,460 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

They sound like a bad company to work for... Start job hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Surprised no one has asked yet, M or F?

I think you'll find post #7 an interesting read there soupy... yyyyyaaaaaaaaaaeeeeeeeehhhhhhh.

header.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

I think there is a misunderstanding here.

I'm certain that OP's manager is merely insisting he trims his facial hair so that it is neckbeard only, which is in line with accepted worldwide IT practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭anewme

minikin wrote: »
    Ladies with beards tend to rob stationery.

this made me spit my tea all over the keyboard. Off now to visit the Stationary Cupboard before I go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

If your boss has to call a few of you up over what you are wearing/ personal grooming ..... I pity the other "conforming" staff that have to work alongside you

They'll be a handbook Monday with employee dress code

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

minikin wrote: »
    I think you'll find post #7 an interesting read there soupy... yyyyyaaaaaaaaaaeeeeeeeehhhhhhh.

header.jpg

Ah Jayziz lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hi every one.

beards are fine

dirty hipster look is not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Guessing most workplaces wouldn't care about a normal trimmed beard.

Presumably, on reading the skinny jeans and blazer bit, the beard is a Ronnie Drew On Steroids job.

What if a company told an employee to shave their head?? Joe would be getting calls.
    KEEP THE BEARD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

How well maintained is your beard OP ? i wouldn't shave mine for anyone and am actively growing it more at the minute for my wedding next year want a full Joe Leadly job by then.

However im aware that it needs to not be scragley or scruffy looking for work , so ensuring its well trimmed regularly to keep it shape and not go messy looking and also washing and oiling twice daily to ensure it looks clean and maintained.

again with the long hair if its clean and well looked after fine but theres a dude works with us and his hair is absolutly minging and the bang of BO off him is awful he's been pulled up on it a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Ask him if he's jealous?

If that doesn't work shave it, throw out the jeans and come in on Monday wearing a nice frock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Not a chance.

Trim your beard if it's untidy, make sure your appearance is neat and tidy and go to work.

If they expect you to shave off your beard, ANY beard, they can whistle for it. You're not customer facing so as long as you get your job done, all you have to do is have decent personal grooming. Trim the beard if it's unkempt and get on with your day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Not a chance.

Trim your beard if it's untidy, make sure your appearance is neat and tidy and go to work.

If they expect you to shave off your beard, ANY beard, they can whistle for it. You're not customer facing so as long as you get your job done, all you have to do is have decent personal grooming. Trim the beard if it's unkempt and get on with your day.

i deal with customers most days i wouldn't take this so long as its neat and clean i see no issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

just reiteration of what everyone else is saying really,

was it shave your bread or trim it so its neat and tidy, some of the lads we have around here (It based as well could seriously do with a trip to the barber pubey type beards seriously need a trim) some of the lads are grand massive beards but tidy and clean.

the clothes, start wearing business dress, smart casual, skinny jeans are not suitable for an office.

can i just pull you up on ''
    We don't deal with people face to face and no one Vists the office.

do you not think the people who have to smell your co worker or look at greasy dirty hair arnt people? your other colleagues? are they not people?

i deal with customers most days i wouldn't take this so long as its neat and clean i see no issue

It really depends on the industry, the employer and in many cases, the client or customer expectations. As long as that's clearly set out from the start, no beard rule = no problem.

An arbitrary rule introduction for 'back office' IT staff calling for no beards? Pft. Good luck with that.

It really depends on the industry, the employer and in many cases, the client or customer expectations. As long as that's clearly set out from the start, no beard rule = no problem.

An arbitrary rule introduction for 'back office' IT staff calling for no beards? Pft. Good luck with that.

most handbooks will say ''neat and tidy dress'' instead of going though all the ins and outs, it also makes it easier to chop and change.

most handbooks will say ''neat and tidy dress'' instead of going though all the ins and outs, it also makes it easier to chop and change.

Try many of the large practices somewhere like the IFSC and you'll find it all set put in black and white, right down to shirt sleeves being rolled up/down, what facial hair if any is permitted and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Maybe the boss is jealous because he/she cannot grow a beard, feck em!

• Advertisement

Try many of the large practices somewhere like the IFSC and you'll find it all set put in black and white, right down to shirt sleeves being rolled up/down, what facial hair if any is permitted and so on.

yeah smaller companies though wont, they dont have massive HR department sand the OP said his handbooks doesnt have a dress code policy bar no ripped jeans and shorts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement