Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work has problem with my beard and way I dress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Looks - it's clear that the OP is a stinking untidy mess who is making everyone else's workday a daily hell.

His colleague is obviously in on it - i.e. him being asked too is just a way to make the OP feel like he's not being singled out.

But he is being singled out. Because he stinks. And he's ruining everyone's lunches.

His employer is clearly being polite and trying to spare the OP's feelings.

If he doesn't get the hint - I think the next message will have to be clearer.

Take a wash and clean yourself up you filthy hippy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Ive had a beard for well over a decade and I've worked in several customer facing roles and Ive never once had a negative comment about my beard. Its trimmed regularly and looked after.

I wouldn't be shaving mine for anyone, but without seeing yours OP, I can't fully support you. There are some very unattractive beards out there.
    I work in a it company and we have no dress code In our hand book other then ripped jeans and shorts are not aload. But everything else is fine.

I worked for a company with a strict business dress code, but they introduced casual friday. One of my friends went into work on the Friday dressed in a full Batman costume. Cape, cowl, the lot. He got sent home to change. On Monday we went in to work and on each desk was the new handbook with amended dress code guidelines including what was suitable for casual friday and what wasnt. "Its not mentioned in the handbook" is a very poor defense because the handbook can change over night.

My advice: Dress business casual, in clean clothes and trim/maintain your beard. If they still arent happy, start job hunting.

syklops wrote: »
    Ive had a beard for well over a decade and I've worked in several customer facing roles and Ive never once had a negative comment about my beard. Its trimmed regularly and looked after.

I wouldn't be shaving mine for anyone, but without seeing yours OP, I can't fully support you. There are some very unattractive beards out there.

I worked for a company with a strict business dress code, but they introduced casual friday. One of my friends went into work on the Friday dressed in a full Batman costume. Cape, cowl, the lot. He got sent home to change. On Monday we went in to work and on each desk was the new handbook with amended dress code guidelines including what was suitable for casual friday and what wasnt. "Its not mentioned in the handbook" is a very poor defense because the handbook can change over night.

My advice: Dress business casual, in clean clothes and trim/maintain your beard. If they still arent happy, start job hunting.

legend

• Registered Users Posts: 33,638 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No sign of the OP, perhaps this was just a wind-up thread?

NIMAN wrote: »

He only posted it 90 minutes ago. Maybe he got busy in work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Shave the beard, buy some shirts, end of.

It's not worth getting on the managers bad side, over something so stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Are you wearing the same old skinny jeans day in day out. Buy some new clothes and cut the length of the beard. I don't know what your beard looks like but some of the hipster beards are hideous. People need to remember that beards don't suit everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Earlier this year Dunnes Store head office altered their dress policy that has been in place since the 50's.

Men can now grow breads and don't have to wear a tie.

The reason behind this is that they couldn't recruit IT staff.

People don't spend all day every day on boards. A few hours without a reply is far from proving this is a wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

lawred2 wrote: »
    legend

Mentally ill, more like. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Queenalocin

Probably gone to barbers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Did they say anything about your man-bun?

lawred2 wrote: »
    legend

Idiot more like.

The type of person, who will never move up the ladder.

Idiot more like.

He's one of my closest friends and a senior consultant. The next rung up the ladder for him is CTO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

It's a slippery slope let your employer away with this sh1te and they'll be telling us what to eat or what time to go to bed at next.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

He's one of my closest friends and a senior consultant. The next rung up the ladder for him is CTO.

You Gotham there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

mitresize5 wrote: »
    Earlier this year Dunnes Store head office altered their dress policy that has been in place since the 50's.

Men can now grow breads and don't have to wear a tie.

The reason behind this is that they couldn't recruit IT staff.

Same as in aldi , I worked there a few years ago and it was strict clean shave , not long after I left they completly relaxed it .
    A good few men grew beards , including one lady .(serious)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,577 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

20Cent wrote: »
    It's a slippery slope let your employer away with this sh1te and they'll be telling us what to eat or what time to go to bed at next.

If your personal hygiene has got to the state where management need to call you in and tell you to sort yourself out then it's gotta be bad.

Tbh I would be mortified and the last thing I would do is start a thread about it

Idiot more like.

I wouldn't be surprised if you were a bit wrong there

but who knows

It's not something I'd have been offended by.. certainly not to the point of calling him an idiot. What harm was done?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

All the submissive little bitches saying he should do what the manager says. Losers.

Plenty of jobs in IT, time to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

sure he is, he's a Senior consulant yet needs to ask boards if his boss can tell him to shave his beard and wear proper pants to work...

if thats the future of IT im retiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

They can enforce a dress code, they can ask you to keep it washed/tidy etc.

However they have zero legal power to make you lose the beard.

Keep it tidy well groomed etc, and meet them half way with the clothing requests. But as for beard shaving just say no that's it, there is literally nothing they can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Epic thread OP, just what we need to get us thru Friday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Keep the change ya filthy animal

If your personal hygiene has got to the state where management need to call you in and tell you to sort yourself out then it's gotta be bad.

Tbh I would be mortified and the last thing I would do is start a thread about it

Op didn't say anything about hygiene just his beard and clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Shave the beard, buy some shirts, end of.

It's not worth getting on the managers bad side, over something so stupid.

Rubbish. Facial hair in a non customer facing role shouldn't be an issue. And it shouldn't be in a facing role either unless its a holy mess.

I've had a beard for the last 20 years and I wouldn't shave it for a job unless there was a damn good reason. I reckon my family wouldn't recognise me without it.

When I was younger a friend asked me to be a groomsman at his wedding and I was told I would have to shave for it. I did it but kinda hated him for asking me (telling really ) to do it.

How would a someone with no facial hair like to be told they had to grow a mustache/beard to fulfill a certain role be it social or business ?

Thought we were beyond this long hair/beard/tattoos/piercings predjudice.

Easy to say shave the beard End of. Its not the end of just because you think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,577 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Op didn't say anything about hygiene just his beard and clothes.

His "friend" was pulled over hygiene issues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Heckler wrote: »

How would a someone with no facial hair like to be told they had to grow a mustache/beard to fulfill a certain role be it social or business ?

jihaddi?
    pirate?
    lumberjack?
    Santa claus?
    police inspector in paris?

:P

Bill Gates and Steve Jobs used to stink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Bill Gates and Steve Jobs used to stink.

They were the bosses, they can do what they like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement