Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work has problem with my beard and way I dress

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

You Gotham there.

I dunno, being sent home is Robin company time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mod: Enough of the nonsense, get back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

jihaddi?
    pirate?
    lumberjack?
    Santa claus?
    police inspector in paris?

:P

A fat terrorist with a check shirt sailing up the Seine with an axe obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

OK just a update the beard is trimmed every time I get a haircut once a month and it was the same when I was interviewed with them. So they know I had a beard from day 1. It'd about 3 inches long but washed and oiled every day.

Then with dress in the handbook that we have it says smart chu.

I have went back to my manager over this and he has said sorry to me over it. As his words was it is The new one in HR who wants us in suits.

I also wish this was the lest of the problems that the team has at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

I have went back to my manager over this and he has said sorry to me over it. As his words was it is The new one in HR who wants us in suits.

theres a big difference bewtween smart casual and skinny jeans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bonyn

Op you have 4 options.

1. Go in Monday as normal. Ignore HR request.
    2. Go in Monday, adhering to new dress code.
    3. Go in Monday. Hand in your notice.
    4. Don't go in Monday.

And really, don't dismiss any of those options. Have a good think about each one. Each has merits.
    Personally, I'd go with option 2. But a compromise. Trim the beard right back to designer stubble and not a greasy, individual look. Wear slim fit jeans, not super silly ones. And tshirts.. plain and not a light baggy one. Maybe a polo instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Is the company quite formal in other respects regarding appearance and dress? What is in your contract? If it was me I would look for another job, life is too short to spend it confirming to other peopls expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,477 ✭✭✭✭Water John

TMK one had to have a moustache in the British army prior to WW1.
    Dropped the requirement to get bodies to die in the trenches.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Stheno wrote: »
    Mod: Enough of the nonsense, get back on topic please.

Lol at thinking this is a topic

pauliebdub wrote: »
    Is the company quite formal in other respects regarding appearance and dress? What is in your contract? If it was me I would look for another job, life is too short to spend it confirming to other peopls expectations.

Nope there is a guy with long blue hair if they gives you a idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Heckler wrote: »
    Rubbish. Facial hair in a non customer facing role shouldn't be an issue. And it shouldn't be in a facing role either unless its a holy mess.

I've had a beard for the last 20 years and I wouldn't shave it for a job unless there was a damn good reason. I reckon my family wouldn't recognise me without it.

When I was younger a friend asked me to be a groomsman at his wedding and I was told I would have to shave for it. I did it but kinda hated him for asking me (telling really ) to do it.

Why didnt you tell him to **** off?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

sure he is, he's a Senior consulant yet needs to ask boards if his boss can tell him to shave his beard and wear proper pants to work...

if thats the future of IT im retiring.

You're confusing two of the main characters of this thread.

theres a big difference bewtween smart casual and skinny jeans.

Also, skinny jeans are an abomination (on men).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Also, skinny jeans are an abomination (on men).

These are super ones though.

Like I am just shocked I was brought in on it. As there is another person in the office where's a tracksuit all the time and nothing ever said to him

Do you look like this OP?

ceac331ba47d79cf31adf0af6c40e75d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Like I am just shocked I was brought in on it. As there is another person in the office where's a tracksuit all the time and nothing ever said to him

*wears

well dont be shocked and dont let it happen again. maybe someone complained your skinny jeans are too tight.

maybe they were ripped. who knows, who cares.

dress like a grown up going to work in future and it wont be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

OK just a update the beard is trimmed every time I get a haircut once a month and it was the same when I was interviewed with them. So they know I had a beard from day 1. It'd about 3 inches long but washed and oiled every day.

I also wish this was the lest of the problems that the team has at the moment.
    There's your answer. HR are changing/ enforcing the dress code.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Op, I'd be interested to know how your relationship with this particular manager is normally?

I've seen A-holes do this kinda thing purely out of spite, a dislike for a person or a way of forcing them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Do you look like this OP?

ceac331ba47d79cf31adf0af6c40e75d.jpg

This guys hit the nail on the head :P:P:P

The Super duper skinny jeans need to go, they have no place in this world and are the number 1 cause of impotence in hipsters

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    And with that we close today's discussion on beards and skinny jeans as OP has gotten plenty of advice to ponder and this thread is going down the silliness well of obscurity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement