Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed - pedals

Options
  • 12-08-2016 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Long time lurker here!

Looking for some advice. I'm not a serious cyclist but go out on runs about 4 times a week ranging between 30km to 70km. I ride a Merida Scultura 900 lite.

I got a the bike a couple of years agoand as I was new to cycling (in my 40s - trying to lose weight), I got old style clips (that you place your ordinary runners into).

These are now at the point of perishing so I'm thinking about cycling shoes and the "proper" pedals (whatever that term is!).

Do they make much of a difference and I will fall off and kill myself!

In addition, I often see members sell good used gear on this site. If people might point me what to look for, I'd be very obliged as I really don't know anything about the equipment end of cycling (no need to point to specific ads if you prefer but pointers most welcome).

Finally, could I fit the new pedals myself?

All advice very welcome and appreciated. Thanks!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You'll find plenty of advice online (here and elsewhere) on using clipless pedals.

Lots of people mention falling over which might make you apprehensive but in reality it's quite simple - just practice sitting on the bike while stationary and have the tension adjustment screw on the lowest setting. Once you clip in and out a few times you'll have the hang of it. When you need to unclip when out riding just think ahead and release your foot in plenty of time before you stop. I always unclip with the same foot as it's easier on my simple brain!

You should be able to fit the pedals yourself - all you need is a pedal spanner (or similar sized standard spanner if it fits). Pedals can be a b1tch (tight) to remove sometimes and remember that the right pedal has right hand (standard) thread but the left pedal is the opposite. When loosening them make sure that the chain is on the big ring in case a spanner slips.................... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

"Clipless pedals" work on the same principle as skis, when you fall they pop off your foot depending on the level tension on the pedal. I think they're safer than straps because of that. Remember if you're buying second hand (and nothing wrong with that) to ask if cleats are included. Cleats are the jobbies that attach to the sole of the shoe that engages with the pedal. Not all cleats are the same between manufacturers. The centre axel of the pedal should be in line with the ball of your foot, there is usually a tiny marker on the cleat that marks the axel centre. I'm a bit goofy footed on the right so you may want to adjust them slightly with what you're comfortable with.

You may need a pedal spanner to get your current ones off or pop in to your local bike shop (lbs) and they will do it for you, probably for a very minor fee. Some pedals can fit regular spanners so worth checking first, they're usually 15mm.

You may do the slo-mo cant_get_your_foot_of_the_pedal fall coming to a stop but it normally only happens you once, twice if you're unlucky. Just practice like the last poster recommends.

You'll be amazed at the power transfer difference with rigid soled shoes engaged to the pedal. Plus the sound of clipping in is way cool :cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

PGE1970 wrote: »
    ...I often see members sell good used gear on this site. If people might point me what to look for...
    Just be aware that pedals and cleats must be compatible - Shimano (SPDSL) and Look would probably be the most popular but they can't be interchanged. A standard road shoe will take different types of road cleats.

Cycling shoes also tend to be a slightly different size to 'ordinary' shoes. I take 44 in 'ordinary' shoes but usually 45/46 in cycling shoes. Be aware of this if buying used or online.

And just to confuse you further Shimano SPDSL and Shimano SPD are totally different shoes/cleats - the latter (SPD) having a recessed cleat which is aimed primarily at MTB (but popular with commuters as it makes walking easier).
    PGE1970 wrote:
    ...Finally, could I fit the new pedals myself?...
    Yes, they are easy to fit with a 15mm wrench for Shimano or an Allen key for Look. Just make sure you grease the threads before fitting to make removal easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I've never used clipless pedals.

I use these, in much the manner the author describes. They're very secure, give you good grip, and you don't need to keep changing shoes (if you wear rubber-soled footwear mostly).
    https://theeverydaycyclist.wordpress.com/2010/09/09/review-wellgo-lu987-flat-pedals/

They might be inferior to clipless in terms of power transfer and things like that, but for everyday use, I think they're great. All three of my bikes have them now. They're very easy to do maintenance on as well, and last for years and years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Thank you all for your advice; much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I use M424 SPDs with a loose tension and platform and find them good on road, off road and in traffic. Very easy to get in and out of, and shoes fine for walking in. Less efficient than dedicated road pedals but a good compromise.

Advertisement