Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Small Farmer" , or "Unemployed"???

Options
  • 12-08-2016 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi,

What draws the line between a "small farmer" and an "Unemployed man", who just happens to have a bit of land out the back???

Iv a neighbour at one side of me with about 40 acres, and considers himself as "unemployed", as he used to work on th ebuildings for a few years back in the boom. He's on every benefit under the sun, with his kids on medical card, and will probably get the grant when going to collage. Has a few sucklin cows as a hobby.

On the other side of me, is a guy with about 70 acres, milking 30 cows, working around the clock, and under sever financial pressure . Can claim no benefits, and in the future, will probably have to take out big loan for his kids education etc, as he is considered self employed, with assets worth over a million.

Who defines the line between both?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

The government, taxman and social welfare.

Now have a nice weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Must be a very close knit community, neighbours knowing about other neighbours finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hobby farmer

Aren't they lucky to have you monitoring what they are at across the ditches!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Is that guy milking the 30 odd cows not getting a single farm payment??

Though in all honesty in could probably loook into getting farm assist

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭milligan2

tcow wrote: »
    Hi,

What draws the line between a "small farmer" and an "Unemployed man", who just happens to have a bit of land out the back???

Iv a neighbour at one side of me with about 40 acres, and considers himself as "unemployed", as he used to work on th ebuildings for a few years back in the boom. He's on every benefit under the sun, with his kids on medical card, and will probably get the grant when going to collage. Has a few sucklin cows as a hobby.

On the other side of me, is a guy with about 70 acres, milking 30 cows, working around the clock, and under sever financial pressure . Can claim no benefits, and in the future, will probably have to take out big loan for his kids education etc, as he is considered self employed, with assets worth over a million.

Who defines the line between both?

What you got to understand is its the system that's at fault and not your neighbors.To change the system you need to stand up and get involved in the democratic process,otherwise your just a hurler on the ditch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭tcow

OMG , hobby-farmer and tomwaterford . . . Ye'r gas men!!! Are ye serious??? I wasn't speaking literally, there not my actual neighbours!! I meant "on one hand" , and "on the other hand! Ha ha ha. Funny men!! Sorry , should have explained it more simply for ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

OMG , hobby-farmer and tomwaterford . . . Ye'r gas men!!! Are ye serious??? I wasn't speaking literally, there not my actual neighbours!! I meant "on one hand" , and "on the other hand! Ha ha ha. Funny men!! Sorry , should have explained it more simply for ye

So it's a pure agenda dressed up as a horsesh1t of a thread??

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hobby farmer

OMG , hobby-farmer and tomwaterford . . . Ye'r gas men!!! Are ye serious??? I wasn't speaking literally, there not my actual neighbours!! I meant "on one hand" , and "on the other hand! Ha ha ha. Funny men!! Sorry , should have explained it more simply for ye[/quote

So do you know these people? How do you know what they are or aren't making, claiming etc?

Just to clarify I get the point you're making plenty are milking the system, but do you blame them or the system?

So do you know these people? How do you know what they are or aren't making, claiming etc?

Just to clarify I get the point you're making plenty are milking the system, but do you blame them or the system?

I'd know em alright ya. Well at least someone's making money out of "milking"!! Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I'd know em alright ya. Well at least someone's making money out of "milking"!! Ha

By any chance you wouldn't be the 30 cow man? It's a case of every fella thinking the next fella is better off.

• Advertisement

Sam Kade wrote: »
    By any chance you wouldn't be the 30 cow man? It's a case of every fella thinking the next fella is better off.

No. Not farming myself at all actually

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

How is the lad milking 30 cows "working round the clock " ? Even if he was hand milking them he shouldn't be overworked . Ask him is he on farm assist .
    I didn't know they gave dole with all the benefits to people that owned land , you should ask that neighbour how he swung that , oh and tell him the buildings are going well if he wanted to start looking for a job again .
    What do you do for a chew yourself OP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Full time troll I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Full time troll I reckon

Advertisement