Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would Ireland be like with just Irish People in it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Stigura

Too much 'European' now, morphed into what a lot of other european cities and towns look like rather than what Ireland used to look and feel like

Not Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    I'd say we have just as many hostilities as we do we other races today. Instead of racism towards Chinese, Blacks & Indians which we don't have too much of we would have prejudice towards people of Cavan, Meath & Roscommon. Ireland had a clan culture during the Celtic period so in everyday life Irish people would be like what we see at the GAA.

SPT_20130909_Spo_024_28868870_I2.JPG
    inpho-00818555.jpg

tyrone

inpho_00167957-390x285.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7xrsi9MLvchJvDwA0HAtW4qExC9vcZzetJV5mec7nsQi4gtSp

So this would be Ireland all the time. Plenty of evidence at all the GAA matches.

A bit of rough housing? Are you serious? It happens in all contact sports, especially with men.

In regards to the tribal aspect it's nowhere near as hostile as you make it out to be. It's more slagging than anything else. Rival supporters can sit with each other in the stands and trouble is extremely rare. It's not like there's Dublin and Kerry hooligan factions beating the hell out of each other before and after a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Think of the Tourism element though. Look at how quaint / quirky and laid back Ireland was in the 80's and early 90's though - be great to get back to that. Too much 'European' now, morphed into what a lot of other european cities and towns look like rather than what Ireland used to look and feel like

I think you are romanticising the past there and being very unrealistic. Besides that, do you really think that Ireland could get by just on tourism alone? Where would everybody be working if all the multinational companies leave (since they wouldn't be able to find a lot of people with language skills anymore)? How would you get all non-irish people to leave the country anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

I don't very much like the idea of Irish people having the need to leave and go somewhere else, all fine with them seeing the world and all that it is when they couldn't be bothered to be here because it has a lack of excitement for stupid reasons like were in the EU so we have no sovereignty. Those are bollox reasons to be fair. We have all the power we ever had throughout our entire history as a free people yet some people still chose to leave due to some distant dream Continent full of riches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The food would still be as sh*te as it used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Would people travel abroad for holidays and would we have foreign tourists ?
    If so I think it would be fine as long as we aren't isolated from the world .
    People are essentially the same everywhere .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,386 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well, it's be a lot harder to get a decent curry, that's for sure.
    I don't very much like the idea of Irish people having the need to leave and go somewhere else, all fine with them seeing the world and all that it is when they couldn't be bothered to be here because it has a lack of excitement for stupid reasons like were in the EU so we have no sovereignty. Those are bollox reasons to be fair. We have all the power we ever had throughout our entire history as a free people yet some people still chose to leave due to some distant dream Continent full of riches.

"A lack of excitement" is a stupid reason for wanting to live somewhere else...??

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

"A lack of excitement" is a stupid reason for wanting to live somewhere else...??

Not if you don't enjoy the drink culture here. Foreigners pretty much gave Ireland something other than going to the pub and getting wasted as being the highpoint of the night.

Not if you don't enjoy the drink culture here. Foreigners pretty much gave Ireland something other than going to the pub and getting wasted as being the highpoint of the night.

My point entirely. Going to the pub and getting drunk gets boring after a while (not to mention expensive). But suggesting that I should return to ireland because it's less exciting..?! Weird...

One thing I do like about living out of Ireland, there's a hell of a mot mroe variety of social life.

My point entirely. Going to the pub and getting drunk gets boring after a while (not to mention expensive). But suggesting that I should return to ireland because it's less exciting..?! Weird...

One thing I do like about living out of Ireland, there's a hell of a mot mroe variety of social life.

I haven't lived full time in ireland for close to 13 years. Oh, I have a house here and I still pay a variety of taxes, but I mostly live in China. I've travelled throughout Eastern Europe and Asia (haven't done the America's yet), and I've found a small number of Irish everywhere I go. Some simply travelling and others fully settled.

On the other hand, whenever I return to my hometown and walk around, I can see the same people from school, college etc. Many people prefer to stay in their hometown or within Ireland.

Personally, I can't live here full time. I prefer much larger population centers. The variety of food, women, bars, cafes, etc. Simply having more options. Even if I end up just sitting at home playing computer games, I know I can go out at 4 am and find a steak.

Dublin is the only place in Ireland likely to have similiar options, but it's just too small for me nowdays. Xi'an has almost 9 million people during summer. Love it. Loved Tokyo even more, but its just too damn alien in many ways. (and expensive for the better lifestyle)

Ireland without foreigners? Insular, ignorant, probably still religious, and stuck with anger towards the English. I personally think foreigners in Ireland gave Ireland the chance to move on and leave the bitterness of the past behind.

• Advertisement

No to europe style towns imo-my foreign friends always comment on how unique and individual our buildings and shop fronts are, unlike generic highstreets elsewhere . most people appreciate the character . if people want flash identikit towns, just go where they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

We'd all be like the O'Donovan brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Billy86 wrote: »
    The food would still be as sh*te as it used to be.

Everything used to taste of onions. Egg Mayonnaise salad ... tasted of onions ..... Apple Pie and custard, used to taste of onions .... Ice cream, used to taste of onions - those were the days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I haven't lived full time in ireland for close to 13 years. Oh, I have a house here and I still pay a variety of taxes, but I mostly live in China. I've travelled throughout Eastern Europe and Asia (haven't done the America's yet), and I've found a small number of Irish everywhere I go. Some simply travelling and others fully settled.

On the other hand, whenever I return to my hometown and walk around, I can see the same people from school, college etc. Many people prefer to stay in their hometown or within Ireland.

Personally, I can't live here full time. I prefer much larger population centers. The variety of food, women, bars, cafes, etc. Simply having more options. Even if I end up just sitting at home playing computer games, I know I can go out at 4 am and find a steak.

Dublin is the only place in Ireland likely to have similiar options, but it's just too small for me nowdays. Xi'an has almost 9 million people during summer. Love it. Loved Tokyo even more, but its just too damn alien in many ways. (and expensive for the better lifestyle)

Ireland without foreigners? Insular, ignorant, probably still religious, and stuck with anger towards the English. I personally think foreigners in Ireland gave Ireland the chance to move on and leave the bitterness of the past behind.

All those things abated long before we had the influx of immigrants in the last 15 years or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Would you credit any of Ireland's progress to the Irish themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Considering there is approx 400,000 foreign workers here doing service work etc you would have to think we would have no unemployment.

That is if the Irish people took those jobs. Wonder why we need so many foreign workers in the first place when we have so many Irish unemployed:)

Would people travel abroad for holidays and would we have foreign tourists ?
    If so I think it would be fine as long as we aren't isolated from the world .
    People are essentially the same everywhere .

ah yeah people could still visit for holidays, just not stay or reside :) .... or maybe the rules bent a little bit by letting people stay who can offer a profession to ireland to a slot that cannot be fulfilled satisfactorily by an Irish citizen

Well, it's be a lot harder to get a decent curry, that's for sure....

Why would an Irish person not be able to cook a curry as good if not better than an Indian? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

At in fairness were a small windswept rain laden rock out in the Atlantic and it can get claustrophobic at times. It's nice to get away for some. Wouldn't begrudge anyone grabbing some decent weather whilst working abroad.

I'm sure competent Irish chefs cook foreign cuisine as well as chefs who come from the country where the recipe originated from .

Interesting thought excercise anyway

BTW my other half not to mention most of my friends is foreign so Ireland without non Irish people would not suit me but still , interesting !

• Advertisement

.....I personally think foreigners in Ireland gave Ireland the chance to move on and leave the bitterness of the past behind.

Dont you think time itself would have moved Ireland on out of all that without the addition of Foreigners? - I personally think it would have ....

FalconGirl wrote: »
    At in fairness were a small windswept rain laden rock out in the Atlantic and it can get claustrophobic at times. It's nice to get away for some. Wouldn't begrudge anyone grabbing some decent weather whilst working abroad.

I don't have anything against people going wherever they want but I think people would need to go away less if they only had the eyes to see what is around them and appreciate it .

be nice to think so ....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

shudder, they be no sexy women

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Considering there is approx 400,000 foreign workers here doing service work etc you would have to think we would have no unemployment.

That is if the Irish people took those jobs. Wonder why we need so many foreign workers in the first place when we have so many Irish unemployed:)

well at least if that was the case the unemployed people would not be able to wheel out 2 of the most well known sayings "theres no jobs available" and "The Foreigners have come over and taken all our jobs" .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I grew up here in the 80s. It was dull.

Why would an Irish person not be able to cook a curry as good if not better than an Indian? :)

No reason. Bear in mind, I did say a lot harder, not impossible.
    I don't have anything against people going wherever they want but I think people would need to go away less if they only had the eyes to see what is around them and appreciate it .

Such as...?

Dont you think time itself would have moved Ireland on out of all that without the addition of Foreigners? - I personally think it would have ....

Nope. For example. Listen to our more traditional music. It's all mostly related to trouble with the English. Irish music changed due to foreign influences and it developed a new direction.

Without that influence, Irish people would still be sitting in their pubs, singing out their bitterness of lands stolen, and such. Think "four green fields". ;)

Why judge in black or white? Looking to absolutes>? Can't you simply read something and assume there's no insult? Lord.

I said

I personally think foreigners in Ireland gave Ireland the chance to move on and leave the bitterness of the past behind.

And you took that to relate to Irelands overall progress.

• Advertisement

Nope. For example. Listen to our more traditional music. It's all mostly related to trouble with the English. Irish music changed due to foreign influences and it developed a new direction.

Without that influence, Irish people would still be sitting in their pubs, singing out their bitterness of lands stolen, and such. Think "four green fields". ;)

I don't know anyone who does that . I'm sure there are nostalgic , maudlin old timers in most countries though.
    A bit of a stereotype ...

Advertisement