Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would Ireland be like with just Irish People in it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

No reason. Bear in mind, I did say a lot harder, not impossible.

Such as...?

I'm not going to start eulogising about the natural landscape , wildlife or history , as I said you have to want to see.

I don't know anyone who does that . I'm sure there are nostalgic , maudlin old timers in most countries though.
    A bit of a stereotype ...

Yup. Irish people have moved on. But I can remember it from my childhood and teens in West Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Think of the Tourism element though. Look at how quaint / quirky and laid back Ireland was in the 80's and early 90's though - be great to get back to that. Too much 'European' now, morphed into what a lot of other european cities and towns look like rather than what Ireland used to look and feel like

Id say Americanization.
    chasing that bull****e dream n all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

catbear wrote: »
    I grew up here in the 80s. It was dull.

thats cause no internet/google/facebook/twitter .... and PokemonGo around :D

Id say Americanization.
    chasing that bull****e dream n all that.

yep that an all I'm sure ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

thats cause no internet/google/facebook/twitter .... and PokemonGo around :D
    There was f all. For me the low point was the moving statues fiasco, it was so boring that people made themselves believe that statues moved.

But things did start to pick up though with U2 going big with the Joshua Tree, Stuttgart 88 and then Italy 90 just blew the roof off. After Eamon Casey there was no going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

We'd all be like the O'Donovan brothers.

Proud Irishmen and olympic medal winners?

If only.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Yester wrote: »
    No. There was a black guy here in 1985. I saw him.

Yeah, he was the bass player with St.Pats

There was f all. For me the low point was the moving statues fiasco, it was so boring that people made themselves believe that statues moved.......

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I was born in the early 70s in Ireland. The only "foreigners" I ever met back then were Doctors. I met a black kid for the first time in the late 70s in a shopping centre. I asked him if he knew Tarzan. This is not a joke.

Since then, things have changed and I accept it.

• Advertisement

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I was born in the early 70s in Ireland. The only "foreigners" I ever met back then were Doctors. I met a black kid for the first time in the late 70s in a shopping centre. I asked him if he knew Tarzan. This is not a joke.

Since then, things have changed and I accept it.

we (mostly all) have accepted it - I wonder if a lot of Irish accepted foreign people to their country because they knew what a hostile reception they got from the English (no Irish/No Dogs/ No Blacks) and thought, we know exactly what that was like and we aint going down that road - there a still instances I am hearing of where people are being spat at though and called names, I suppose some people will never accept foreigners into the country. The other week I heard about some black woman went to cross the road and pressed the button on the traffic light and some random women come up to her and smacked her hand off the button and started hurling abuse at her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

we (mostly all) have accepted it - I wonder if a lot of Irish accepted foreign people to their country because they knew what a hostile reception they got from the English (no Irish/No Dogs/ No Blacks) and thought, we know exactly what that was like and we aint going down that road - there a still instances I am hearing of where people are being spat at though and called names, I suppose some people will never accept foreigners into the country. The other week I heard about some black woman went to cross the road and pressed the button on the traffic light and some random women come up to her and smacked her hand off the button and started hurling abuse at her!

Well that is an offense and that women would be prosecuted if a Gardaí was anywhere in the vicinity.

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Well that is an offense and that women would be prosecuted if a Gardaí was anywhere in the vicinity.

yep shame it goes on, but it still does ....

Actually the vilest anti foreigner comments I've seen on my facebook feed have been by English people settled in Ireland, irony much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

1991?

dd972 wrote: »
    1991?

great year - great communities, everyone knew each other, decent houses for sale for around 50,000 irish punts, the Irish punts, the Roads were sh!te granted full of potholes and no bypasses and there were border control between the north and south, knock airport was a cowshed, summers were better, towns had non pretentious cafe's which sold cheap tea and coffee (not a Costa in sight!) only 2 TV stations RTE1 & Network 2 , people going round in horse and traps, nobody had a mobile phone , Leave keys in front doors and cars, actually could leave your doors open , nice comfortable train carriages to Dublin and a fare of 15 Irish Punts return from Sligo to Dublin (whats it something like €45 now?) of course most of this resonates with rural Ireland, maybe it was different up Dublin and other cities. - great it was :)

great year - great communities, everyone knew each other, decent houses for sale for around 50,000 irish punts, the Irish punts, the Roads were sh!te granted full of potholes and no bypasses and there were border control between the north and south, knock airport was a cowshed, summers were better, towns had non pretentious cafe's which sold cheap tea and coffee (not a Costa in sight!) only 2 TV stations RTE1 & Network 2 , people going round in horse and traps, nobody had a mobile phone , Leave keys in front doors and cars, actually could leave your doors open , nice comfortable train carriages to Dublin and a fare of 15 Irish Punts return from Sligo to Dublin (whats it something like €45 now?) of course most of this resonates with rural Ireland, maybe it was different up Dublin and other cities. - great it was :)

Wages were ****e, £15 pound was a lot of money. I remember basic wage somewhere under £2!

The boat was the budget option to the uk. However hitching rides around the country was the done thing until jojo dollard went missing.

Wages were ****e, £15 pound was a lot of money. I remember basic wage somewhere under £2!

The boat was the budget option to the uk. However hitching rides around the country was the done thing until jojo dollard went missing.

yeah what has happened with the ferry? - used to be dirt cheap to go over to UK (on Sealink was it?) - but looked at price a few months back and it cost an arm and leg now!!

yeah what has happened with the ferry? - used to be dirt cheap to go over to UK (on Sealink was it?) - but looked at price a few months back and it cost an arm and leg now!!
    The boat seemed cheap to us then because flying to the UK could cost over £200. Its probably still about the as cheaper but easyjet and the others were a revolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,387 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Surely you weren't alive in 91...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Surely you weren't alive in 91...?

Why, cause I come across as being so childish? :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It would be a lot more boring. Immigration has enriched Ireland and added a touch of spice to the dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,387 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Why, cause I come across as being so childish? :D

I had early 20s in my head for some reaon...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

having grown up in insular backward 80's ireland

i think its great that there's people from other countries living here

its about time irish people discovered that there's more than just white & catholic people in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I find it shocking the lack of Irish accents you hear when out and about........we're being killed off.......I'm staring to build a bunker in the back garden soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

It'd be pretty Damn full with the amount of children being born. It's not that long ago a family of seven or nine or twelve was the norm....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yester wrote: »
    No. There was a black guy here in 1985. I saw him.

There were two. Paul McGrath and the other fella. There used to be three, but Phil Lynott moved out.

sonofenoch wrote: »
    I find it shocking the lack of Irish accents you hear when out and about........we're being killed off.......I'm staring to build a bunker in the back garden soon
    On the other hand I laugh when I hear polish people picking up local accents, that just cracks me up!
    I hear one lad on a train and it was really hard to tell he was polish because he'd picked up his english in thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Well I wouldn't be here, so it'd be shite.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 SeantoBarry

Nope. For example. Listen to our more traditional music. It's all mostly related to trouble with the English. Irish music changed due to foreign influences and it developed a new direction.

Without that influence, Irish people would still be sitting in their pubs, singing out their bitterness of lands stolen, and such. Think "four green fields". ;)

A country that experienced famine, colonisation and its people put through terrible hardship in their native homeland is reflected in its music.

What a shocker!

Advertisement