Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would Ireland be like with just Irish People in it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Nope. For example. Listen to our more traditional music. It's all mostly related to trouble with the English. Irish music changed due to foreign influences and it developed a new direction.

Without that influence, Irish people would still be sitting in their pubs, singing out their bitterness of lands stolen, and such. Think "four green fields". ;)

No it's not. I play it, and lots if it. What you're describing is 'whining paddy music'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

endacl wrote: »
    No it's not. I play it, and lots if it. What you're describing is 'whining paddy music'.

In my mind your man Kanye Whist is the whiner around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bloopy

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Do you know what this thread needs? Bigger hyperlinks.

I think it could do with a tad more stereotyping and self loathing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 SeantoBarry

bloopy wrote: »
    I think it could do with a tad more stereotyping and self loathing.

It's really pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

great year - great communities, everyone knew each other, decent houses for sale for around 50,000 irish punts, the Irish punts, the Roads were sh!te granted full of potholes and no bypasses and there were border control between the north and south, knock airport was a cowshed, summers were better, towns had non pretentious cafe's which sold cheap tea and coffee (not a Costa in sight!) only 2 TV stations RTE1 & Network 2 , people going round in horse and traps, nobody had a mobile phone , Leave keys in front doors and cars, actually could leave your doors open , nice comfortable train carriages to Dublin and a fare of 15 Irish Punts return from Sligo to Dublin (whats it something like €45 now?) of course most of this resonates with rural Ireland, maybe it was different up Dublin and other cities. - great it was :)

Lest we forget Dublin v Meath, I was about 5 stone lighter, full head of hair and visible to the opposite gender, now I'm about halfway to full invisibility, depressing.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

dd972 wrote: »
    Lest we forget Dublin v Meath, I was about 5 stone lighter, full head of hair and visible to the opposite gender, now I'm about halfway to full invisibility, depressing.:pac:

do you know what I was 4 stone lighter as well in 91 - what a coincidence, i wonder what the connection is most probably because there was only Dunnes and Quinnsworth to buy food from and no LIDL & ALDI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

No romantic notions of being Celtic for a start probably very Portuguese looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

fryup wrote: »
    having grown up in insular backward 80's ireland

i think its great that there's people from other countries living here

its about time irish people discovered that there's more than just white & catholic people in the world

Have you ever heard an Irish person say that there was only white and catholic people in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,538 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I was born in the early 70s in Ireland. The only "foreigners" I ever met back then were Doctors. I met a black kid for the first time in the late 70s in a shopping centre. I asked him if he knew Tarzan. This is not a joke.

Since then, things have changed and I accept it.

That's not fair man. Don't half tell a story. The suspense is killing us. Did he or didn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

We'd all be speaking Irish !

• Advertisement

I remember the first black resident of my nearest town.

There had literally never been a black resident before, and he was uniquely called 'The black lad'.

That was approx. 1994, and I don't think I've seen a black person in the town since. Maybe an African-born G.P. doing locum work, but I cannot be sure.

But to answer what life is like in a place where everyone looks & speaks the same (bar a handful of Lithuanians, Poles and Brits, and seasonal Germans), it doesn't really make a difference. I can't remember ever hearing a racist word there, and people have the exact same type of opinions, concerns, quirks and personalities as in Dublin or parts of the U.K.

Bottom line being, it doesn't really make much difference. People are people, and nobody is bound by their race to become a certain type of human. Race is itself a very subjective, man-made concept (why classify people based on their foreheads and and the shape of their nasal bone; and not according to foot-size and eye colour, for example?)

Well our national anthem is pretty inclusive
    Soldiers are we,
    whose lives are pledged to Ireland,
    Some have come
    from a land beyond the wave
    Sworn to be free,
    no more our ancient sireland,
    Shall shelter the despot or the slave.

Mind you the last verse had something about defeating the saxon foe.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It would be a lot more boring. Immigration has enriched Ireland and added a touch of spice to the dish.

Would care to expand on how it's enriched Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A 3 in 1 would consist of chips, gravy and chicken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chromosphere

Incredibly boring! Especially food-wise.

A lot of our foodie revolution was started by exposure to particularly French artisan foodies who made their home in places like Cork and Dublin in the 1990s as well as a load of others who have followed. Tons of the modern Irish cheeses and so on all came about out of a bit of cultural exposure to continental stuff.

Also before that Italian food, Chinese food, Indian food etc etc?

I know I came back from Poland recently and the one thing that struck me as 'reassuring' was landing back in France and then Ireland and seeing people who didn't all look exactly the same. I don't know why but, I get freaked out when everyone looks a bit too closely related...

cbyrd wrote: »
    We'd all be speaking Irish !

and that would be a problem?

Sure if you go back a few generations most of us aren't "Irish" anyway. Many of us are a bit viking, a bit French, a bit English, a bit Roman, a bit Scottish and all sorts of other things.

It's a bit narrow minded really to just assume nobody ever moved anywhere in the past.

So which Irish would you be talking about?

When is a line drawn on the dawn of "Irishness".

Incredibly boring! Especially food-wise.

A lot of our foodie revolution was started by exposure to particularly French artisan foodies who made their home in places like Cork and Dublin in the 1990s as well as a load of others who have followed. Tons of the modern Irish cheeses and so on all came about out of a bit of cultural exposure to continental stuff.

Also before that Italian food, Chinese food, Indian food etc etc?

I know I came back from Poland recently and the one thing that struck me as 'reassuring' was landing back in France and then Ireland and seeing people who didn't all look exactly the same. I don't know why but, I get freaked out when everyone looks a bit too closely related...

presumably we would still be at the same level as we are on the internet and the budding irish wanna be chef's would be googling and making these foreign dishes, just as good or better than them - there is not a monopoly on the italians on making the best pizza or spagbol :)

A 3 in 1 would consist of chips, gravy and chicken

The Belgians invented chips, so that's off the table for a start and spuds are Latin American, well Native American. The Spanish brought them back.

presumably we would still be at the same level as we are on the internet and the budding irish wanna be chef's would be googling and making these foreign dishes, just as good or better than them - there is not a monopoly on the italians on making the best pizza or spagbol :)

That's not the case in countries that are very monocultural. I've spent time in several and there's usually a very conservative and nearly xenophobic approach to cuisine that doesn't really exist in Ireland or Britain anymore. A lot of that is to do with direct exposure to other cultures.

Also the Irish interpretation of spaghetti bolognese in the 1980s seemed to involve all sorts of root vegetables....

I don't really see anything wrong with plucking bits you like from other cultures (ignoring the bits you don't like) and adding them to your 'cultural database'. We've always done that and always will.

• Advertisement

wife was just saying to me not so long ago that if someone came to town and wanted to sample proper irish meal like bacon and cabbage or irish stew there are not many places if anywhere you can get now. Say if the yanks wanted to try some or come to think of it any visitors. - in our town we have an 'italian Quarter' and polish food shops... but no irish Quarter or food area.

Sure if you go back a few generations most of us aren't "Irish" anyway. Many of us are a bit viking, a bit French, a bit English, a bit Roman, a bit Scottish and all sorts of other things.
    Just found out last week that my grandmothers people came from Spain in the late 1800s as horse breeders. It may explain why I tan easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Ireland for the Irish. Racism has been around for a long time in Ireland.

You're right, it started around 1609 when the new arrivals kicked their neighbours out because they didn't like them.

It's a bit narrow minded really to just assume nobody ever moved anywhere in the past.

So which Irish would you be talking about?

When is a line drawn on the dawn of "Irishness".

im sure nearly everyone or most in Ireland know or have an idea what 'irish culture' is like and what it consists of (for how many years longer I dont know for because as someone said before its all dying out as time goes on) and im sure a lot of visitors/tourists now get a bit of a shock when they find out that Ireland is not as Irish as they though it would be and has now morphed into modern day europe like other countries in Europe.

What we should have done is held onto our Irish Punts , not allowed Costa in, not allowed the golden arches in (supermacs would have sufficed) and things like that , sure i would miss some of the shops and places but by allowing too much influence from UK/europ its took away the 'irish'ness' of ireland now in some ways and ireland is loosing its identity in the world I think.

catbear wrote: »
    Just found out last week that my grandmothers people came from Spain in the late 1800s as horse breeders. It may explain why I tan easily.

me wife's father looked and tanned like a spaniard, he was born in Galway ... then you got the Spanish Arch in Galway and i dont know the full history of that , but i'd say a bit of fornicating went on there with the irish and the spanish ;)

It would be nice to imagine andy from sligo threads with just him in them

Cmon folks lets make it happen

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It would be a lot more boring. Immigration has enriched Ireland and added a touch of spice to the dish.

Would care to expand on how it's enriched Ireland?

Sure, the range of ethnic foods and cuisines now available in Ireland thanks to immigration is great - much better than before when the most exotic food was Chinese or Indian.

Also, the cultural events in Ireland today are much greater in numbers and more diverse than, say, 20 years ago.

It would be nice to imagine andy from sligo threads with just him in them

Cmon folks lets make it happen

dont be a bloody kiljoy! :mad: sure who am I harming?

If that were the case then i'd stop making threads..... could be a good thing for some? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Why judge in black or white? Looking to absolutes>? Can't you simply read something and assume there's no insult? Lord.

You're the one with absolutes in your post I quoted. Since then you've either readjusted your stance or clarified what you originally meant.

No insult taken at all, Your long winded spiel of all your exploits abroad came across as condescending though.

• Advertisement

Only a self hating western European would claim that their own people and ethnic group don't really exist. Can you imagine a chap from Thailand, Korea, Nigeria or China saying something like above? Nah, me neither.

It's a bit pathetic.

Advertisement