Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of Back To Work Enterprise Allowance?

Options
  • 12-08-2016 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I was talking to someone today who said the Back To Work Enterprise Allowance is being discontinued - in November I think?

Has anyone heard anything about this?

I haven't heard anything about this before. Interestingly nothing in the press. If it's true I'm wondering what's going on and assuming they'll be introducing something else as a support for new businesses???

To confirm...they said you can still get your 2 years of payments but that they will stop taking applications for it around November (I can't remember exactly what date). I intend getting mine in ASAP.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭peeps78

I have not heard this. I know they are checking over the scheme to check that everyone is above board and not juts going on ht scheme to get social welfare off their back for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Small business owners are already getting screwed left, right and centre by the system, I really hope they're not removing this as a support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

I don't want to get anyone in trouble but I heard this from a Seetec worker - the guys who are running Jobpath. Unless they got it wrong themselves of course. But they absolutely said it was being discontinued before the end of the year.

I'll be in with the DSP meeting their Back To Work person next week so I'll report back and let you know.

Agree wholeheartedly with you Trojan. Publicly they give fantastic lip service to mall businesses and the arts - however the stats show otherwise. It would boil your blood. Its unthinkable to imagine they would remove this without some kind of replacement. But then they have taken support of the some of the most vulnerable in society in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

I thought it was the just the Jobbridge scheme that they were getting rid of?

Dbran

Not what I was told - but I will confirm all next week. I'm doubting what they told me a bit now but I certainly know what they told me...which is the reason they said to apply for it sooner rather than later (because there may be a flood of apps in the next couple of months). I couldn't find any information on it anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Nono Toure

Not what I was told - but I will confirm all next week. I'm doubting what they told me a bit now but I certainly know what they told me...which is the reason they said to apply for it sooner rather than later (because there may be a flood of apps in the next couple of months). I couldn't find any information on it anywhere.

I hope they don't stop the allowance, it's a great incentive for people to start out on their own.

Off topic - Is there any support after the back to work allowance finishes after 2 years? Say, for people who are on it but after the 2 years they are only making ok money.

Couldn't tell you man, sorry. I'm not familiar with that situation at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

Nono Toure wrote: »
    I hope they don't stop the allowance, it's a great incentive for people to start out on their own.

Off topic - Is there any support after the back to work allowance finishes after 2 years? Say, for people who are on it but after the 2 years they are only making ok money.

short answer.. No. Which is probably the right position. All these initiatives have a cost and if two years is not enough, unlikely longer will cure it!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭socio

Just on Jobbridge, I thought it had been scrapped but just noticed this ad from 3 days ago by FRS Recruitment. Is it still running?

http://jobview.monster.ie/trainee-administrator-jobbridge-job-dublin-city-centre-dublin-ireland-170966727.aspx?jobPosition=2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

It could be that their budget for the year usually runs out by November, and if you don't have it sorted by then you might be waiting until next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Just noticed on DSP website it is going to be replaced by another scheme details to be announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭peeps78

I cant find that on the welfare site. can you post a link please?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

Dont you have to be on Social Welfare for 12 months before being allowed to apply for that scheme

Dont you have to be on Social Welfare for 12 months before being allowed to apply for that scheme

For the BTWEA, yes.
    Although there is also the Short Term Enterprise Allowance which you can apply for immediately

Advertisement