Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bloggers and #ad (Naming bloggers means a ban!)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Wonder will the top blogger blag her wedding for free?She has another blogger singing at it after asking on social media for people

• Registered Users Posts: 39 heretogetreal

I find the popularity of Curry's blogger BAFFLING... she has NO genuine passion or creativity & gets paid over 1K per #sp Insta image yet doesn't even take the time to take a decent image... or admit that its an ad!

I have no problem with bloggers getting paid but there are so many amazing Irish blogger who will take the time to create a beautiful image sharing a brand in a creative way while her Insta feed is just a dribbling mess of poorly produced advertisements.

She did an Insta live video recently where she suggested people ask questions- one of the first questions was to her partner who was with her in the video which asked 'whats your favourite thing about me' to which her partner replied 'free things' & she just laughed... says it all really.

She seems like a nice girl but as a blogger? Shes willing to peddle anything to anyone & has ZERO passion for the industry.

She clearly thinks her followers are absolute idiots as she talks about 'treating herself' to something shes been paid to write about but, unfortunately her followers clearly ARE idiots as she spoon feeds them relentless adds without ever really producing any other actual.quality.content & yet they follow her in their thousands!?

Vote with your fingers & only follow the original & passionate bloggers that Ireland has to offer... there are some amazing ones out there who not only share good content but, actually do it for the love of creativity, not to just peddle another product to their clearly VERY naive following.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

bigpink wrote: »
    Wonder will the top blogger blag her wedding for free?She has another blogger singing at it after asking on social media for people

Ya would imagine she would want to pay for it all! not turn her wedding day into an ad? I wonder will she still run a competition for a fan to attend the wedding? Hoping that was just a getting ahead of herself with excitement moment!! And she said it without thinking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aoife1996

<no names!>

The hilarious thing is that it seems to be the top Snapchatters who are the laziest ones ...

Only every consistently producing 'content' on that platform calling themselves bloggers but never actually creating content on their blogs.... cause they have no creativity to speak of!

I can think of a handful of Irish bloggers who consistently create quality original content on their blogs yet their 'popularity' is a fraction of these 'Snapchat stars'...

I cant see 'influencers' dribbling the same sh*t day in day out being a lasting fad... we'll hopefully be back to only focusing on those who create decent content soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

What's the difference between an ad and a sponsored post?

Nothing. Genuine bloggers use #ad #sp or #spon to dictate when they've been paid to share the post. Some bloggers take the money & clearly declare nothing.

Nothing. Genuine bloggers use #ad #sp or #spon to dictate when they've been paid to share the post. Some bloggers take the money & clearly declare nothing.

I think they use #sp because it's less apparent than #ad. Like everyone knows what an ad is, not everyone knows what sp is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

I wonder do revenue be keeping an eye on all the tweets and sponsored posts? I find it hard with bloggers now to distinguish who's genuinely promoting an item and who's paid, ut takes the goodness out of a review

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Amberjack wrote: »
    I wonder do revenue be keeping an eye on all the tweets and sponsored posts? I find it hard with bloggers now to distinguish who's genuinely promoting an item and who's paid, ut takes the goodness out of a review

Revenue have better things to be doing than following singular tweets but they can do an audit of income that is coming in and what's declared.

Otherwise I think sponsored implies some sort of content, a blog post or a feature. Ad is an ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

I find the popularity of Curry's blogger BAFFLING... she has NO genuine passion or creativity & gets paid over 1K per #sp Insta image yet doesn't even take the time to take a decent image... or admit that its an ad!

I have no problem with bloggers getting paid but there are so many amazing Irish blogger who will take the time to create a beautiful image sharing a brand in a creative way while her Insta feed is just a dribbling mess of poorly produced advertisements.

She did an Insta live video recently where she suggested people ask questions- one of the first questions was to her partner who was with her in the video which asked 'whats your favourite thing about me' to which her partner replied 'free things' & she just laughed... says it all really.

She seems like a nice girl but as a blogger? Shes willing to peddle anything to anyone & has ZERO passion for the industry.

She clearly thinks her followers are absolute idiots as she talks about 'treating herself' to something shes been paid to write about but, unfortunately her followers clearly ARE idiots as she spoon feeds them relentless adds without ever really producing any other actual.quality.content & yet they follow her in their thousands!?

Vote with your fingers & only follow the original & passionate bloggers that Ireland has to offer... there are some amazing ones out there who not only share good content but, actually do it for the love of creativity, not to just peddle another product to their clearly VERY naive following.
    I actually cannot believe her partner said that
    What I have noticed with all these blogger threads I've read over the years is that while people are calling out for transparency most bloggers have listened except the currys blogger who got her mam the television if anything she's gotten worse she just carries on plugging away With zero transparency to the extent that she pretended to buy her mother the television that currys gave her if I was currys I would be disgusted

Maybe going forward if you think someone is not being transparent contact the company on twitter or something like that and ask at least then the companies might ensure they follow procedures
    I've unfollowed a lot I actually unfollowed an older blogger who just celebrated her 40th bday as I found her whole day of Snapchat plugging item after item I think at her age she really should have more sense in regard to her followers instead she fell into the trap the younger bloggers fell into the more free stuff the better she never updates her blog anymore yet she's on Snapchat 24/7 I saw a screen shot of someone asking her were her snaps ads ect she wasn't one bit happy and apparently blocked the person

• Registered Users Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Cria wrote: »
    I saw a screen shot of someone asking her were her snaps ads ect she wasn't one bit happy and apparently blocked the person

Because the person was being negative :P

I have heard some bloggers use that defense a good bit.

I wasn't shocked about Curry's girl at all unfortunately.

I've heard from a PR that she demands hundreds to show up an event then snaps at it without using #ad cause she was 'paid to go but not paid to snap'.... the reason she was paid to go is cause she would snap which she'd know full well! So dodgy.

It suits her to carry the image of the down to earth blogger cause it allows her to be even more deceitful & treat her followers like idiots but, the are idiots for following one big long advertisement with absolutely no effort of producing quality content from what I can see!

The more followers she has the more she gets paid for this crap so anyone following her is directly giving her the power to do this.

Because the person was being negative :P

I have heard some bloggers use that defense a good bit.

That's the way it's gone you can't ask an honest question and your blocked they are the ones being shady not the followed :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭CloudCumulus

I would agree that the best way to let companies know is by directly asking if they sponsored this person to lie about purchasing something when it was gifted.

While all these posts are about women, I follow two snapchat men. Not actually sure if they're bloggers so maybe different rules apply, but I've never seen the #ad or #spon in any of their posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

I wasn't shocked about Curry's girl at all unfortunately.

I've heard from a PR that she demands hundreds to show up an event then snaps at it without using #ad cause she was 'paid to go but not paid to snap'.... the reason she was paid to go is cause she would snap which she'd know full well! So dodgy.

It suits her to carry the image of the down to earth blogger cause it allows her to be even more deceitful & treat her followers like idiots but, the are idiots for following one big long advertisement with absolutely no effort of producing quality content from what I can see!

The more followers she has the more she gets paid for this crap so anyone following her is directly giving her the power to do this.

She is just unbelievable. Imagine the shame of knowing that everyone knows you were lying about the tv?! Or does she not have any? At least her partner is honest about it, he has said previously in a Facebook live post that he didn't like her snapping all the time until he realised it could pay the bills, so at least he's not pretending he's not in it for the money side of things. I have unfollowed her Snapchat as I'm tired of seeing what colour bows the baby got sent or what the offer of the day from Meaghers is. That poor baby is certainly paying it's way already, at the expense of her privacy, judging by how much of the content she makes up. I would hope she is adequately compensating her mum too for the intrusion it is having on her mum's privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

That's the way it's gone you can't ask an honest question and your blocked they are the ones being shady not the followed :P

You're just a hater :P *blocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I was just thinking. The "Currys" blogger didn't say she bought the telly did she? She said "I got this for my mam". Curry's were obviously sending her something of her choice for free so she got something her mam would like.

If she got the TV AND was paid then it needed #Ad but she probably just got the telly for free.

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I was just thinking. The "Currys" blogger didn't say she bought the telly did she? She said "I got this for my mam". Curry's were obviously sending her something of her choice for free so she got something her mam would like.

If she got the TV AND was paid then it needed #Ad but she probably just got the telly for free.

I wanted to get something for my mam for all the upheaval or something to that effect. Not exactly Currys were so kind to send me this and I thought I might give it to my mam for ....

No mention of it being gifted certainly implies she bought it. Don't think anyone has suggested that it was an ad or needed to be hashtagged as such but it lays glaringly bare that she is not to be relied upon to disclose the origins of items she is showing or reviewing. She had already been caught out not disclosing actual ads properly (VHI).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cookiesmuggler

every time someone writes something you are on the defence straight away, defending the blogger!! Whats the story?? Which blogger are you ???????

on another note, the currys blogger !!!! Jesus mary and holy saint joseph! why does she constantly snap herself playing with her baby?? like its constant, would she ever just put the phone down and interact normally. And the stupid mindless snaps she makes of herself making tea and coffee?? shes obsessed with snapchat, sometimes shes just after waking , cleaning the sleep out of her eyes and snapping?? like jesus get a life

every time someone writes something you are on the defence straight away, defending the blogger!! Whats the story?? Which blogger are you ???????

on another note, the currys blogger !!!! Jesus mary and holy saint joseph! why does she constantly snap herself playing with her baby?? like its constant, would she ever just put the phone down and interact normally. And the stupid mindless snaps she makes of herself making tea and coffee?? shes obsessed with snapchat, sometimes shes just after waking , cleaning the sleep out of her eyes and snapping?? like jesus get a life

Oh am I now? Go look at the other thread about a blogger. I'm not defending her am I? And I'm also not defending "Currys" blogger. I'm just pointing out the facts. I don't agree with what she did but she didn't claim to have bought the telly.

I don't know what's worse. You complaining about her doing that stuff or you watching her do that stuff. Just unfollow her if you don't like her.

My blog is in my signature btw. I always disclose when I get something for free.

Oh am I now? Go look at the other thread about a blogger. I'm not defending her am I?

And I'm also not defending "Currys" blogger. I'm just pointing out the facts. I don't agree with what she did but she didn't claim to have bought the telly.

My blog is in my signature btw. I always disclose when I get something for free.

I don't follow currys blogger but I did add her that day the tv was being discussed here just to see what had happened (and deleted her swiftly after)
    I had to skip through about 150 snaps of her baby to get to the tv bit, and she said something like "I wanted to get something nice for my mam for being so good and helping out with the baby, she's been so good and deserves it". She made it out like she ordered the tv out of the goodness of her heart, not given it for free. She didn't actually say "I bought this tv with my hard earned cash", but she alluded to buying it herself.

anna080 wrote: »
    I don't follow currys blogger but I did add her that day the tv was being discussed here just to see what had happened (and deleted her swiftly after)
    I had to skip through about 150 snaps of her baby to get to the tv bit, and she said something like "I wanted to get something nice for my mam for being so good and helping out with the baby, she's been so good and deserves it". She made it out like she ordered the tv out of the goodness of her heart, not given it for free.

Thanks for the clarification.

Can see the bubble bursting on the irish blogger scene its gobe so fake toxic and bitchy and boring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

Curry girl is major cringe.
    I remember her posting on insta last year in memory of a parent who passed away some years ago..under a 'heartfelt' picture in which she was wearing a watch.. she posted a discount code for people wanting to buy the watch she was wearing.
    In some way, it must help with the grief :D

bigpink wrote: »
    Can see the bubble bursting on the irish blogger scene its gobe so fake toxic and bitchy and boring

It's something that is happening internationally too I think, there is a lot of discontent about some of the biggest YouTubers at the minute in relation to undisclosed sponsorships and ads online. The blogger who collaborated with Becca along with the one who recently released a palette and gift set with Too Faced as well as the male YouTuber who recently had a falling out with Kat Von D ( not Kat herself) have all been implicated in it. There was a recent case of a C Tilbury lipstick popping up in a number of favourites videos recently, in a manner which was suggestive of paid content, without being disclosed. The difference in the US is that there are actually rules (not guidelines) being broken when this happens and they can issue penalties for breaches.

Can someone pm the currys blogger name

Lunaarli wrote: »
    I remember her posting on insta last year in memory of a parent who passed away some years ago..under a 'heartfelt' picture in which she was wearing a watch.. she posted a discount code for people wanting to buy the watch she was wearing.

Is nothing sacred *facepalm*

She is just unbelievable. Imagine the shame of knowing that everyone knows you were lying about the tv?! Or does she not have any? At least her partner is honest about it, he has said previously in a Facebook live post that he didn't like her snapping all the time until he realised it could pay the bills, so at least he's not pretending he's not in it for the money side of things. I have unfollowed her Snapchat as I'm tired of seeing what colour bows the baby got sent or what the offer of the day from Meaghers is. That poor baby is certainly paying it's way already, at the expense of her privacy, judging by how much of the content she makes up. I would hope she is adequately compensating her mum too for the intrusion it is having on her mum's privacy.
    The baby is a great asset it's a shame she was even snapping giving the baby medicine today why would you snap that surely giving your baby her medicine would require your Two hands one to hold the child to make sure she doesn't move and it goes in properly and one to administer it instead it was phone in wine hand medicine in the other I thought after she had the baby she would lessen her time on Snapchat to spend her own time with the child she's on it more than ever

• Advertisement

Didnt the top blogger post thr daybof her grannys funeral i think was with her partner drinking wine.very tacky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

That's actually disgusting

The baby is a great asset it's a shame she was even snapping giving the baby medicine today why would you snap that surely giving your baby her medicine would require your Two hands one to hold the child to make sure she doesn't move and it goes in properly and one to administer it instead it was phone in wine hand medicine in the other I thought after she had the baby she would lessen her time on Snapchat to spend her own time with the child she's on it more than ever

Maybe this video was brought to you by Calpol

:pac: just joking

Thanks for the clarification.

She really did insinuate that she bought the television I added her that day too and you were totally led to believe she bought it and people would have believed her if it wasn't delivered the same time as the other bloggers and gift wrapped the exact same only they hash tagged their items

Omg she did not do that

Maybe this video was brought to you by Calpol

:pac: just joking
    You know I wouldn't say that's too far from the truth #calpol bought from meaghers pharmacy next door to currys :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 fitzytour

I have commented on two of Currys bloggers Instagrams! The first was a post about VHI where I asked why she hadn't #ad on her snaps re this post as when I first saw her snaps I did not realize it was an ad! It was only after seeing her Instagram I realized this! She deleted that post!

She has a post up about D & G perfume which she has stated is and ad via her hash tag but yet has said she treated herself to the perfume...I presume she is getting said perfume for free if it is an ad? So I questioned how can she be treating herself if it is for free but go no reply! I also saw how she deleted the comments under the insta pic - in my opinion this was a healthy discussion on transparency and was not bitchy!

I used to really like this blogger, however based on her recent actions, lack of openness, lying to followers, deceitfulness and general laziness in relation to her blog and lack of new content, I have lost complete respect for her! This isn't me saying she's the only 'blogger' like this, there are many - its just that a year ago she seemed to be the most genuine however she seems to have lost all interest in true blogging and only cares about the freebies and money which is so disappointing!

On a positive note, one Irish blogger who IMO is excellent and works extremely hard and is very transparent is the New York based blogger from Kerry! She really is what a true blogger should be and puts all the rest of them to shame! (Not saying they're aren't more good bloggers out there, she's just the only one I follow)

It's something that is happening internationally too I think, there is a lot of discontent about some of the biggest YouTubers at the minute in relation to undisclosed sponsorships and ads online. The blogger who collaborated with Becca along with the one who recently released a palette and gift set with Too Faced as well as the male YouTuber who recently had a falling out with Kat Von D ( not Kat herself) have all been implicated in it. There was a recent case of a C Tilbury lipstick popping up in a number of favourites videos recently, in a manner which was suggestive of paid content, without being disclosed. The difference in the US is that there are actually rules (not guidelines) being broken when this happens and they can issue penalties for breaches.

I've been following the youtube accusations too (out of curiosity) and I'm not that convinced on the CT lipstick thing, it could easily just be that they all got the same press release.

For YT bloggers I can definitely see them doing non sponsored rave reviews for brands and later on doing official sponsored work, maybe they throw in the first review for free/favour or maybe it's like an audition for the brand or an invitation for them to approach them? Whatever about the legality, it's clear their opinion is heavily bias towards these brands and I think it's a similar situation for the small time irish "influencers".

fitzytour wrote: »
    On a positive note, one Irish blogger who IMO is excellent and works extremely hard and is very transparent is the New York based blogger from Kerry! She really is what a true blogger should be and puts all the rest of them to shame! (Not saying they're aren't more good bloggers out there, she's just the only one I follow)

I really like this Kerry blogger too, she must get sent SO much stuff but yet you don't get a sense that that's what she's in it for and there is very little of that kind of content on her Snapchat account. She is also very active on her blog, granted it is her full time job now, but her content is varied and not the same old tripe some other Irish bloggers are spamming the internet with. And I've never seen her plugging Meaghers which is always a plus! I'm really enjoying her vlogmas too.

• Advertisement

GingerLily wrote: »
    I've been following the youtube accusations too (out of curiosity) and I'm not that convinced on the CT lipstick thing, it could easily just be that they all got the same press release.

For YT bloggers I can definitely see them doing non sponsored rave reviews for brands and later on doing official sponsored work, maybe they throw in the first review for free/favour or maybe it's like an audition for the brand or an invitation for them to approach them? Whatever about the legality, it's clear their opinion is heavily bias towards these brands and I think it's a similar situation for the small time irish "influencers".

Of course it's entirely possible there was nothing untoward happening with the lipstick but it gives you a sense that it's not just Irish bloggers who are being put under scrutiny these days. There are alot of affiliate links when it comes to these YouTubers too which of course gives rise to a financial incentive for including certain items in your favourites regularly.

Of course it's entirely possible there was nothing untoward happening with the lipstick but it gives you a sense that it's not just Irish bloggers who are being put under scrutiny these days. There are alot of affiliate links when it comes to these YouTubers too which of course gives rise to a financial incentive for including certain items in your favourites regularly.

There's a UK YTer who's whole channel is just dedicated to beauty blogger gossip, he gets a fair few hits too, while I think he's VERY annoying it's good to know that there's someone with a channel actually exposing this kind of stuff.
    And your right, bloggers/vloggers fans everywhere are starting to get tired of it, more transparency is needed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

GingerLily wrote: »
    There's a UK YTer who's whole channel is just dedicated to beauty blogger gossip, he gets a fair few hits too, while I think he's VERY annoying it's good to know that there's someone with a channel actually exposing this kind of stuff.
    And your right, bloggers/vloggers fans everywhere are starting to get tired of it, more transparency is needed!

Can you PM the youtuber?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

<no names!>

I'd recommend editing posts to remove names as posts may get deleted otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cookiesmuggler

In all fairness ! The blonde blogger from cork has a post up on Instagram about d and g perfume !! And so does the currys blogger !! Then currys blogger said she treated herself to it ??????? Em how darling when it's sponsored ????????? Nearly every post from the blonde blogger is an ad now or Sponsored ! They're walking talking advertisements ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

Has anyone else noticed the decline in the Irish tan social media as of late? I know 2 of their younger girls left, and as a result there's been an influx in a make up brand where one of the girls now works.

This just shows how important social media is to a brand I think. Haven't seen moany #ad or sp on any of the make up brands freebies or paid products that were sent out!

Also, as we can all see bloggers get sent the same stuff etc, but certain bloggers get that bit more from up market brands. I seen on two top bloggers snap chats yesterday they got "thank you" gifts from brands that they worked with during the year? Are these not kind of ads then? If they were paid during the year to promote their products and then they go off showing all their thank you products, who is essentially products the brands are selling at the moment. Who knows.

In all fairness ! The blonde blogger from cork has a post up on Instagram about d and g perfume !! And so does the currys blogger !! Then currys blogger said she treated herself to it ??????? Em how darling when it's sponsored ????????? Nearly every post from the blonde blogger is an ad now or Sponsored ! They're walking talking advertisements ..

Do you really need to put in so many question marks?

It's interesting to see that only one person has mentioned the 2 male 'Snapchat stars' one of whom is known to get paid a significant amount to 'browse' Penny's casually every other day & point out nice things on his Snapchat but has never used #ad from what I can see.

The other started off by slagging bloggers & has now become a complete parody of himself... he's worse than all of them combined! Peddling any awl shi*e to his followers in return for payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

I think I know the 2 guys ye are on about. I used to follow one but lost interest in him after a couple of months so unfollowed. The other guy I have no interest in either. The bloggers/snapchatters I follow are mostly purely to see the new products
    Coming out! Have started flicking thru a lot of the other snaps they put up in the last week!

It's funny, I was in a position to watch a lot of snaps the last few weeks. The last few days have been gettin fed up of it all and how much of my time it was taking up. Now I'm not in the same Position so am interested to see how i go! Can see myself watching a lot less and possibly unfollowing some!

anna080 wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the majority of people follow the two lads for their personalities and because of their humour. Female bloggers get their following because we want to see what products their using/clothes their wearing,but it gets boring when it's the same product/shops being shown.

Agreed but, if they're being paid to share things on their platform they should follow the same guidelines which we're expecting the female to follow. A browse in Penny's becomes an #ad when it's a paid browse.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement