Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bloggers and #ad (Naming bloggers means a ban!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Agreed but, if they're being paid to share things on their platform they should follow the same guidelines which we're expecting the female to follow. A browse in Penny's becomes an #ad when it's a paid browse.

I deleted the initial post by accident!
    Oh ya I totally agree with you, it's no exuse to dodge the rules absolutely. I'm just throwing it out there that this may be why followers don't get so irate about non disclosure with them, because they're not really bloggers. They're essentially comedians that get free stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

This is what rubs me up the wrong way. 100% trying to hide the #ad by using a white font in a practically white background. Grrrr. If it's an ad it should be really really clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

This is what rubs me up the wrong way. 100% trying to hide the #ad by using a white font in a practically white background. Grrrr. If it's an ad it should be really really clear.

That's ridiculous. You'd have to be looking for it to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cookiesmuggler

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Do you really need to put in so many question marks?

Are you actually that sad , that you are counting how many question marks I use ?????????????????? hahahaha hit a nerve did I , with my earlier comment on you defending all the bloggers ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Are you actually that sad , that you are counting how many question marks I use ?????????????????? hahahaha hit a nerve did I , with my earlier comment on you defending all the bloggers ..

Not really, no. I don't really care for your opinion. I always declare when I get something free. It just looks a bit childish. That's all.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cookiesmuggler

The currys blogger has deleted loads of comments under her pic of the d and g perfume , the comments were questioning her on why she's stating she treated herself to the perfume when it's sponsored ! ..

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

omg I saw that post earlier and did not cope the ad written in it. That is ridiculous!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

It's so sneaky.

The currys blogger has deleted loads of comments under her pic of the d and g perfume , the comments were questioning her on why she's stating she treated herself to the perfume when it's sponsored ! ..

She has edited the post, it no longer says she treated herself, maybe being called out on it in public has been effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

Her editing the post just proves guilt. If you weren't up to anything shady you'd just say out straight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pocketrocket1

It is the same few people over and over.The Currys blogger, The Cork blogger and the two male bloggers/snappers being the worst culprits. The Cork blogger had a big rant a few weeks ago giving out about this thread and how dare people talk about her. She said she is always honest about ads etc. Same week she did snaps, Facebook and blog post on pampers which she is 100% being paid big money for, as there are a number of smaller bloggers who have disclosed they are being paid. She is as bad as, if not worse then Currys.

The problem is it is the small percentage of people that see through them and their bs. Most of their readers adore them. The Cork blogger has people believing all sorts, while her attitude is notorious down in Cork! She must be raking it in if she has two people working for her answering mails etc as she claims!!

The saddest part about it all, is there are bloggers with decent size followings who actually take time to blog, post on social media about stuff other than themselves and things they've been sent and reply to their readers all the time. These are the bloggers that influence me to buy things and they would still influence me if they were getting paid for the odd job. I also use the term influence lightly and should probably say they bring things onto my radar and I google to find out if I need it!

heyjude88 wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed the decline in the Irish tan social media as of late? I know 2 of their younger girls left, and as a result there's been an influx in a make up brand where one of the girls now works.

This just shows how important social media is to a brand I think. Haven't seen moany #ad or sp on any of the make up brands freebies or paid products that were sent out!

Also, as we can all see bloggers get sent the same stuff etc, but certain bloggers get that bit more from up market brands. I seen on two top bloggers snap chats yesterday they got "thank you" gifts from brands that they worked with during the year? Are these not kind of ads then? If they were paid during the year to promote their products and then they go off showing all their thank you products, who is essentially products the brands are selling at the moment. Who knows.

Thank you gifts are basically underhand bribes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I saw that #ad thing straight away. It might be that I have screen on my phone set brighter. Btw what's with all the fondness for extra question marks and exclamation marks lately? It creates am impression of being a bit over excited.

Edit: tried it on darkest setting and it's still easy enough to see but it does not jump out.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I saw that #ad thing straight away. It might be that I have screen on my phone set brighter. Btw what's with all the fondness for extra question marks and exclamation marks lately? It creates am impression of being a bit over excited.

Edit: tried it on darkest setting and it's still easy enough to see but it does not jump out.

White text on a white background is never going to standout, the more cynical amongst us (including myself) might think that was the intention.

I don't get the obsession with question marks? Why would you care how many there are in a post? Unless it's so many that it causes the textboxes to resize to fit them in then I can't see how it's relevant to the thread. It's annoying when they distort the layout of the page, but that wasn't the case here.

I find them as annoying as caps lock. It's grand when they are used ever so often to make a point but too many of them is just being overly expressive and distracting.

I wouldn't post about the ad thing if it was not the first thing that jumped at me. If someone was trying to hide it it might not work that well on some screens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

Is the Currys blogger, the one who left social media in a hooh ha recently after breaking rules of a fb group and was then backwithin 24 hours with lots of sympathy? If it is the same one who is bfing her baby, why is she promoting stuff for C&G? (well obviously the money, but it shows that she'll promote anything for cash)

Amberjack wrote: »
    Is the Currys blogger, the one who left social media in a hooh ha recently after breaking rules of a fb group and was then backwithin 24 hours with lots of sympathy? If it is the same one who is bfing her baby, why is she promoting stuff for C&G? (well obviously the money, but it shows that she'll promote anything for cash)

Yeah that's her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I commented on her post questioning her and my comment has since been deleted and she has reworded the post from when I read it this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

What happened about the Facebook group

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

<no names!>

• Registered Users Posts: 1 NewUser123456

<no names!>

I'm not sure if Revenue have the resources to audit this sector. A client in the beauty industry was audited and the Revenue auditors didn't really seem to know what shellac and hd brows were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I see some posters having difficulties with the no names rule.
    Posts snipped

I will step up it a bit. Naming anyone in a way that can identify them will mean a short ban now.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I'm not sure if Revenue have the resources to audit this sector. A client in the beauty industry was audited and the Revenue auditors didn't really seem to know what shellac and hd brows were.

Unless they were in for the actual treatments it wouldn't really matter if they knew what every different treatment was or not. That wouldn't be relevant, there are companies with thousands of different products, the auditors wouldn't have any need to know each item and same applies to treatments.

Unless they were in for the actual treatments it wouldn't really matter if they knew what every different treatment was or not. That wouldn't be relevant, there are companies with thousands of different products, the auditors wouldn't have any need to know each item and same applies to treatments.
    While I agree to an extent, the Revenue auditors should have at least done their homework in relation to trends in industries, be it beauty, construction, cafes etc. But they have been sniffing around the beauty sector and any cash business.

• Advertisement

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    While I agree to an extent, the Revenue auditors should have at least done their homework in relation to trends in industries, be it beauty, construction, cafes etc. But they have been sniffing around the beauty sector and any cash business.

They will have certainly been working off industry norms and expected margins for the business and region and would not have gone in blind. Revenue audits are rarely random these days, they are usually a specific industry being targeted or a business whose returns are not within expectations and have raised a red flag. The Irish Revenue are surprisingly progressive, which is why I think they'll eventually address the current situation.

Would love to see a Prime Time investigates on beauty bloggers lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

On a slightly more positive note, my colleague's partner sent the Cork blogger a gift that was shown via a few snaps and an instagram post a couple of days ago. It was just a gift and not an ad or with any agreement to promote it.

The company saw a good surge in orders as a result. It's a small company so really glad that the blogger featured it!

Nice that not everything is an ad!

blairbear wrote: »
    On a slightly more positive note, my colleague's partner sent the Cork blogger a gift that was shown via a few snaps and an instagram post a couple of days ago. It was just a gift and not an ad or with any agreement to promote it.

The company saw a good surge in orders as a result. It's a small company so really glad that the blogger featured it!

This highlights the impact a mention or a post about a product by a blogger has on product sales, which further supports the expectation of and need for full disclosure when when a blogger is being paid for such a post.

People need to be made aware it's an ad if it is an ad so they can make an informed decision.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

What was the product?Would they have paid her if asked or contacted her again if not mentioned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

anna080 wrote: »
    Would love to see a Prime Time investigates on beauty bloggers lol.
    I'd say a few of them have mates in RTE!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 heretogetreal

Just saw that the main culperate decided to 'randomly' post about one thing in her apartment she *purchased* *bought* on Insta just there after having to change the text on 'treating herself' to a perfume she was paid to talk about 😂😂😂😂😂 looooooll

Does she not see how transparent she is!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

Ha, the bed? Sure the other one obviously did it's job this time last year as they've a 3 month old ;)
    I think the culture of bloggers is that they get so much for free that they almost expect it.
    Did anyone see the blonde blogger/model with the 2 kids and hubby off on holidays. They had an Instagram vid peo of them in business class, kids and all, wonder was that a freebie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

how is that not an ad?

how is that not an ad?

Because the brand didn't pay her to talk about it, simply. She shared because she liked, not cause she was paid to advertise it.

If a brand sees a individual's reach as so powerful they're willing to pay to access it and, the blogger accepts said payment along with captions guidelines and agreed posting times then THATS an #ad

Seeing every person who talks about a product they own (gifted or otherwise) on social media as an #ad means that you expect everyone worldwide to use the hashtag every time they're wearing visible logos or mention a shop/brand/beauty product/food/person in their caption!!

The gift was a personalised book for her baby. It was actually gorgeous.

I have no idea whether they would have paid her to promote it. I didn't quiz my colleague on his wife's business plan!

I definitely wouldn't regard that as an ad. It was sent as a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

It may not be an ad (and obviously I'm happy for your colleagues wife's business being successful) but obviously the company knows they are going to get promoted by sending it to the blogger. This in my opinion isn't really bad because if no money exchanged hands then it's their own opinions that they are promoting.
    I do think that it's hard to tell with other things because when most of the same bloggers get the same things and only some mark it as #ad it's hard to differentiate which is which

It was sent out as promotion. However there was no onus on blogger to write about it so it can't really be an ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Babyspice13

I see the tanning boss talking about this very subject on Snapchat this evening

It was sent out as promotion. However there was no onus on blogger to write about it so it can't really be an ad.
    how is a promotion not an ad?

• Advertisement

The gift was a personalised book for her baby. It was actually gorgeous.

I have no idea whether they would have paid her to promote it. I didn't quiz my colleague on his wife's business plan!

I definitely wouldn't regard that as an ad. It was sent as a surprise.

so was it a product of theirs or just a kind of corporate gift?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

I see the tanning boss talking about this very subject on Snapchat this evening

Just saw her snaps! She seems to think the same as the posters here! Nice to see her talking honestly about her thoughts on it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

Just saw that the main culperate decided to 'randomly' post about one thing in her apartment she *purchased* *bought* on Insta just there after having to change the text on 'treating herself' to a perfume she was paid to talk about 😂😂😂😂😂 looooooll

Does she not see how transparent she is!?
    That's her best friends dads furniture company she's doing some advertising there

Ha, the bed? Sure the other one obviously did it's job this time last year as they've a 3 month old ;)
    I think the culture of bloggers is that they get so much for free that they almost expect it.
    Did anyone see the blonde blogger/model with the 2 kids and hubby off on holidays. They had an Instagram vid peo of them in business class, kids and all, wonder was that a freebie?

Yep. Look at this thing I BOUGHT, I PURCHASED it with my own money. Hardly an image worth sharing so clearly done to try & scramble a point together. You bought your own bed?? Well.Done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

I wonder did the comments on the post about the perfume an ad effect the entires! There is only 21 entires.

I wrote the above and said I'd look at the FB page. There is about 5000 entries! BUT no #ad on the post. F sake is she for real?!!! I'm gonna unfollow her on snapchat now. I don't look at her pages so can't be bothered! Nothing she does is interesting and everything she shows is shown by other so won't be missing much!!!

so was it a product of theirs or just a kind of corporate gift?

A product! The company just makes these books.

how is a promotion not an ad?

it is part of promotional activities of supplier not of whoever got it. Supplier sent it out, she chose to mention it. By your definition mention of any free sample that you like is advertising. If you get a tester in Boots, try it and mention it in Product Reviews in Beauty Forum you are advertising then.

I am well aware that this wasn't criticized just because the bloggers intentons were vouched for by a third person here and because it's a children's book from a small supplier nobody cares about. Still do you really want to brand any kind of positive opinion about something advertising?

it is part of promotional activities of supplier not of whoever got it. Supplier sent it out, she chose to mention it. By your definition mention of any free sample that you like is advertising. If you get a tester in Boots, try it and mention it in Product Reviews in Beauty Forum you are advertising then.

I am well aware that this wasn't criticized just because the bloggers intentons were vouched for by a third person here and because it's a children's book from a small supplier nobody cares about. Still do you really want to brand any kind of positive opinion about something advertising?

yes when they send it to them for free, yes.

A product! The company just makes these books.

so it wasn't gift so much as promo, and thus ad by the blogger who spoke about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

so it wasn't gift so much as promo, and thus ad by the blogger who spoke about it.

She didn't get paid for it so it's not an ad. She was sent a gift by a company in the hope that she would write/ tweet/ whatever about it and she did

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement