Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bloggers and #ad (Naming bloggers means a ban!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Also I don't understand how getting a collection of full sized items can be considered a sample. Haha

Because the label tells you only it's not for resale. It doesn't define the size. It's the same as stuff in shops marked 'tester'. Who would send mini samples and hope for accurate reviews/promotion? Sowing the packaging is part of it but at the same time they are trying to avoid resale.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

heyjude88 wrote: »
    The bad reviews means those companies won't send any more products to them. A lot of makeup companies double up, eg, Estée Lauder, MAC, Smashbox, Glamglow (and more) are all the same company.

Mess with one, mess with them all I think :)

I think the carpet company does deals with these bloggers, thats the 3rd one in recent months to get their carpet from the same place and give a glowing long random snap review. ( I'm sure sooooo many people asked about your carpet thats never on show.....)

It wasnt my imagination then about the carpet company. I know she said her aunt is involved but sweet Jesus, it's a carpet. Personally the carpet itself wouldn't exactly be pulling me to visit the shop in question but how and ever ;) There's showing someone your carpet, and then basically advertising it (the shag type, how they put on an underlayer thing etc. Etc). It screamed of "I got my carpet for free/heavily discounted because I'm taking about it here, so oddly"

I think a load of bloggers must be reading this thread. Another was telling Snap about her Kindle she got as a Christmas present and made some pretty tongue in cheek comments about full disclosure etc. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

meeeeh wrote: »
    Also I don't understand how getting a collection of full sized items can be considered a sample. Haha

Because the label tells you only it's not for resale. It doesn't define the size. It's the same as stuff in shops marked 'tester'. Who would send mini samples and hope for accurate reviews/promotion? Sowing the packaging is part of it but at the same time they are trying to avoid resale.

Exactly. By your own definition, they wouldn't send those miniatures because they won't get a proper review, but that means that it isn't a sample. It's a free product. By the mere definition of the word, a sample is something that's a smaller part of said item in order to show what the full item is like.

Also I've never seen any item given to a blogger that is marked 'not for resale'. They get sent the full sized items as they appear in stores from what it looks like to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mzo1978

But we must buy those galway tickets even if it's just for the granola and popcorn 😂😂😂😂

Mzo1978 wrote: »
    But we must buy those galway tickets even if it's just for the granola and popcorn 😂😂😂😂

Hahahaha

By the mere definition of the word, a sample is something that's a smaller part of said item in order to show what the full item is like.

Actually it's can be also an item that is representative of population. In other words one full size eyeshadow is not all eyeshadows but it is representative of their characteristics.
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sample

I would say MAC have very good reasons full size samples are branded sample. But even if you want to go into definition of sample there is nothing wrong with branding full seized items 'sample'.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

Exactly. By your own definition, they wouldn't send those miniatures because they won't get a proper review, but that means that it isn't a sample. It's a free product. By the mere definition of the word, a sample is something that's a smaller part of said item in order to show what the full item is like.

Also I've never seen any item given to a blogger that is marked 'not for resale'. They get sent the full sized items as they appear in stores from what it looks like to me.

Nice to know these items won't end up on Depop accounts so like some other make up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

The carpet thing was cringeworthy alright. People wanted to see my carpet, good god. And not great looking either but I'm sure aunty has a few options in stock.

Also how can you receive loads of snaps if they're never open? That's a genuine question, are they able to look at snaps sent while they were closed. Just wondering how the clothes review snaps were delivered.

By the mere definition of the word, a sample is something that's a smaller part of said item in order to show what the full item is like.

Actually it's can be also an item that is representative of population. In other words one full size eyeshadow is not all eyeshadows but it is representative of their characteristics.
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sample

I would say MAC have very good reasons full size samples are branded sample. But even if you want to go into definition of sample there is nothing wrong with branding full seized items 'sample'.

Thanks for the definition of sample. It also means a part of music too, but this and also the definition you presented isn't correct for this situation I'm talking about.

Using Mac as an example, they usually send the full collection of full sized items so that really isn't the representation of the population though is it? It's the full collection.

The things you get in the likes of Glamour magazine aren't usually full sized but are luxury samples and are usually big enough to give you an impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

Granola and popcorn really ?? Lol

• Advertisement

Using Mac as an example, they usually send the full collection of full sized items so that really isn't the representation of the population though is it? It's the full collection.
    It's still a sample. You can't adjust and narrow the definition so it suits your argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

They are full size products. The free ones sent out have the Sample stickers. Again the Sample reiterates that it can't / shouldn't be sold on.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

Currys blogger at it again.

She was an ambassador for that tea and shes pushing it today..... No #ad etc. . She doesn't even use it as she just had a baby etc. Has a code etc.

Cria wrote: »
    Granola and popcorn really ?? Lol
    Oh yes not just any granola it's the "granola pots" .... "and they are delicious" and "propercorn"

One of the very reasons I wouldn't spend money on a fashion factory as food has no place in any good bag, any fashion enthusiast knows this, but obviously plugging these brands is earning money etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I actually think the top blogger (new clothing line) would be even more popular if she did negative reviews. I mean im not really a fan of hers, but she can be kinda gas sometimes right? Like she is kinda tough, has a bit of an "I don't give a sh1t" attitude, so she should totally capitalise on that and not be afraid to be honest and blunt when it comes to products. Her whole "I only want positivity" mantra is totally at odds with how she portrays herself normally. I see her as someone who takes no nonsense from anyone, it's a shame she can utilise that skill and give proper reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

I also thought carpet was some sort of ad. She said there name 3 times in one snap!! Like in one 15 second part!? Made me laugh!!

Also seen as someone mention the workshops! Always gets on my nerves that she pronounces it streamcream when it's steamcream! And written quite clearly! If I was that brand I'd be pretty peeved! I assume they get all that stuff in exchange for exposure?

heyjude88 wrote: »
    Currys blogger at it again.

She was an ambassador for that tea and shes pushing it today..... No #ad etc. . She doesn't even use it as she just had a baby etc. Has a code etc.

Did she not #ad no respect for her followers

Oh yes not just any granola it's the "granola pots" .... "and they are delicious" and "propercorn"

One of the very reasons I wouldn't spend money on a fashion factory as food has no place in any good bag, any fashion enthusiast knows this, but obviously plugging these brands is earning money etc

If I paid all that money and I got granola and popcorn I'd go mad
    from reading these threads the contents of them bags do be pure tat maybe this years fashion factories from the top bloggers might contain an item of clothing from there new fashion lines lol

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Sufitzy

I think whoever on this mentioned that some bloggers must be reading this thread is spot on, was watching snaps from the one who always wears a scarf and she was talking about her kindle and mentioned that it was not sponsored and got it from her brother but could find out how he paid if people liked !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cookiesmuggler

Can someone message me and tell me who the vitamin blogger and the kindle blogger is please?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cookiesmuggler

blairbear wrote: »
    On a slightly more positive note, my colleague's partner sent the Cork blogger a gift that was shown via a few snaps and an instagram post a couple of days ago. It was just a gift and not an ad or with any agreement to promote it.

The company saw a good surge in orders as a result. It's a small company so really glad that the blogger featured it!

Nice that not everything is an ad!

thats great for the company but it is still an ad! they sent her those books knowing well that she would show them on her snapchat . Therefore she is promoting the books and the company.. they are lovely books i must say but its still an ad at the end of the day..I actually tend to stay away from or at least try and stay away from all the stuff these so called bloggers get sent for free and try and flog us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

thats great for the company but it is still an ad! they sent her those books knowing well that she would show them on her snapchat . Therefore she is promoting the books and the company.. they are lovely books i must say but its still an ad at the end of the day..I actually tend to stay away from or at least try and stay away from all the stuff these so called bloggers get sent for free and try and flog us.

As no money changed hands, it is not an ad. Sending her a gift does not mean she will necessarily talk about it, I'm sure Bloggers don't talk about every single thing they get sent.

To put it another way, film critics get to see films for free. Would you view them seeing a film for free and subsequently reviewing it as an "ad"? Would their not paying for it mean that you wouldn't trust their opinion? It really is no different, bloggers/ journalists get sent things for free in the hope that they'll talk about them.

Personally I think it's great that a small company saw an upsurge in orders as a result of this, the last thing we want is a culture where bloggers will refuse to talk about anything unless money changes hands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭blue4ever

To put it another way, film critics get to see films for free

FFS - its part of their job and a fcuking very transparent part of it.
    A Books Editor get free books!
    Motoring cors get to drive new cars......

Get a grip, its pathetic reasoning or a veiled agreement to get freebees.

But here's the rub. The three I mentioned above will give their opinion - good/bad/indifferent. Not, as it seems from a comment before, give back the stuff they don't like.

To what end - to keep their blog and banal outpourings saccharin sweet? God forbid you'd have a reasoned opinion on a product.

blue4ever wrote: »
    FFS - its part of their job and a fcuking very transparent part of it.
    A Books Editor get free books!
    Motoring cors get to drive new cars......

Get a grip, its pathetic reasoning or a veiled agreement to get freebees.

But here's the rub. The three I mentioned above will give their opinion - good/bad/indifferent. Not, as it seems from a comment before, give back the stuff they don't like.

To what end - to keep their blog and banal outpourings saccharin sweet? God forbid you'd have a reasoned opinion on a product.

Regardless of your personal opinion of bloggers, the same could also be said of career bloggers, it's part of their job.

I could not care less whether bloggers get freebies or not. You, on the other hand, going by the tone of your post, seem to be extremely worked up over bloggers. You might want to ask yourself why it bothers you so much.

I've also known plenty of bloggers to give good/bad/indifferent reviews. Maybe you should look for new ones to follow if you find certain ones banal and saccharine sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

If the odeon was paying some reviewers to give a good review and giving a percentage to the critic if a customer uses gimmefreestuff10 id have an issue with it TBH

• Advertisement

If the odeon was paying some reviewers to give a good review and giving a percentage to the critic if a customer uses gimmefreestuff10 id have an issue with it TBH

Yep but that's not what I was referring to. I was referring to the blogger who got a gift from a company & spoke about it and how some people said this was an ad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

If I paid all that money and I got granola and popcorn I'd go mad
    from reading these threads the contents of them bags do be pure tat maybe this years fashion factories from the top bloggers might contain an item of clothing from there new fashion lines lol

In fairness that is two items out of the bag. I've been to one before and the goody bags are quiet good. Most will snap or show you the full bag and they are good. Some cheap things for filler but some good samples or full sized product

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Regardless of your personal opinion of bloggers, the same could also be said of career bloggers, it's part of their job.

I could not care less whether bloggers get freebies or not. You, on the other hand, going by the tone of your post, seem to be extremely worked up over bloggers. You might want to ask yourself why it bothers you so much.

I've also known plenty of bloggers to give good/bad/indifferent reviews. Maybe you should look for new ones to follow if you find certain ones banal and saccharine sweet.

I get worked up in that agencies are diverting brands money away from established and regulated media to a completely unlegislated and unaccountable 'wild west'.

If they were more regulated I'd see more accountability and transparency which in turn would see brands agencies looking again at this and assess would they still be able to try and fool some of the gullible public with the impunity in which they do so now.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Babyspice13

frogstar wrote: »
    In fairness that is two items out of the bag. I've been to one before and the goody bags are quiet good. Most will snap or show you the full bag and they are good. Some cheap things for filler but some good samples or full sized product

Lucky you, I was at a Fashion Factory and got

A bottle of juice
    A packet of Skips
    A. Bottle of (yellow) nail varnish,
    Stick on false toe nails,
    Black eyeshadow and
    'orange' bronzer.

🙈

frogstar wrote: »

I'd never pay the price they ask for so i haven't a clue what does be in the bags only what I have read on threads ect
    There are so many doing these fashion factories and master classes these days it got to the point where <snipped name> hired what looked like the corner of a pub and charged people to come to it while they chatted I saw a lot of complaints about that because the audience didn't get anything out of it compared to the other events where they get make up tips and fashion advice from experts and fashion shows in fancy venues the <snipped name> tickets where not cheap at all it leaves the 'market' open to be exploited by such things like this I feel

• Advertisement

A bottle of juice
    A packet of Skips
    Black eyeshadow and
    'orange' bronzer.

🙈
    Omg really and were the tickets expensive

Omg really and were the tickets expensive

Yes €99 :mad:

She was the only one doing it at the time so I didn't know what to expect. HUGE mistake

So I've been following a blogger for years I followed her to Snapchat she's one of the older women (she just turned 40 recently) anyway she wants to make ' 'blogging' her full time job I'm assuming she will give up her actual job she used to blog and do YouTube videos all the time and since snapchat came along she stopped and mainly did all the usual Snapchat advertising most of the time she didn't #ad
    anyway I'm wondering besides doing ads constantly how can you make money out of blogging full time is the market not oversaturated as it is id love to know how full time blogging will pay your bills and mortgage ect Am I missing something think I'll pack in my own job lol

Yes €99 :mad:

She was the only one doing it at the time so I didn't know what to expect. HUGE mistake

Thats disgraceful and if you made a complaint they'd just block you
    did the actual day make up for the price you paid ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

A bottle of juice
    A packet of Skips
    Black eyeshadow and
    'orange' bronzer.

🙈

Omg!!

Mine was a little better, but still awful.

A nail varnish
    A bottle of moisturiser
    A sample size of cleansing milk
    Black toothpaste and brush
    A packet of crisps

And those tickets were 75. The jeans blogger seems to give bags of rubbish as well even though you'd expect better from her, and for that money.

The fake tan owner seems to be much more generous.

The worst part is I used to be a fan of hers before it, but just went off her completely after that. It wasn't that great of a day, she showed up 20 minutes late and finished it 40 minutes early so you could line up to say hello if you wanted to, which we didn't.

Thats disgraceful and if you made a complaint they'd just block you
    did the actual day make up for the price you paid ?

The afternoon tea was lovely and having a day out with my sister was lovely but as for the show, it was just an Oasis & River Island advert. I didn't learn anything from it.

Apologies to anyone upset about my lack of commas and full stops I do be writing in between little breaks I get in the day with work and children ect
    When I'm rushing I tend not to notice so again apologies to anyone who is annoyed by it

The afternoon tea was lovely and having a day out with my sister was lovely but as for the show, it was just an Oasis & River Island advert. I didn't learn anything from it.

You could have gone to river island and oasis for a look for free lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I thought this thread was about bloggers and #ad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

In addition to it becoming obvious that bloggers are having a read here based on how they are now taking to snap chat to defend why they do or do not say if something is sponsored, does anyone else get the feeling that there are posters commenting here regularly who are bloggers (and I'm.not talking about the ones who have declared that they blog)? There are just some regular posters, in my opinion, who get so defensive about all things blogger related that it has me convinced that they themselves could be bloggers or the family member of a blogger.

• Advertisement

Would you list the names?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cria, naming bloggers is not allowed so you get a short ban as per thread title.
    It is good you know your posts are hard to read so make the effort to make them clearer to read, thanks.

All, this thread is the subject of #ad so try to stay on topic. If it goes over to general gossip I will close it. Thanks

I just saw snaps from the one with the new clothes range, talking again about the once weekly not sponsored reviews.
    idunno78 wrote: »
    The main Dublin blogger is going doing a review every week for the month of January, every week, with a non paid non sponsored non #ad review of a product. Even tho the majority of her reviews aren't sponsored or paid for she is going to do non paid or sponsored ones for the month of Jan!

All her words on snapchat today! I'm lost! If there all not sponsee or paid for why the big deal about doing 4 non paid ones?!

It seems the first review isn't available in Ireland but you can get it online and she's going to give the link to buy it :rolleyes:

It's just hard to believe that she's getting nothing out of these reviews.

Would you list the names?

Now why am I not surprised by this question? I won't be naming anyone.

It seems the first review isn't available in Ireland but you can get it online and she's going to give the link to buy it :rolleyes:

It's also ,like someone already previously said, sad that this is what blogging has come to. A huge song and dance being made out of doing a non-sponsored review - pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

That's not the review she was on about in above posts. That's up on her page just read it there to check!! (I don't usually) it's a foundation. I clicked on link to and from what I can see it's not an affiliate link!
    I still do think though that all her other reviews are in some shape or form #ad and not 100% genuine. Just after how she went about doing these 4 for January!

ratmouse wrote: »
    Now why am I not surprised by this question?

Sweetie I am not even from English speaking country. I have absolutely no connection to any blogger Irish or non Irish.

Sweetie I am not even from English speaking country. I have absolutely no connection to any blogger Irish or non Irish.

For your information, my Boards.ie name is Ratmouse, not Sweetie.

You have to buy the link are you having a laugh ? I'd buy it if it was about her cosmetic enhancements but not about a product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

You have to buy the link are you having a laugh ? I'd buy it if it was about her cosmetic enhancements but not about a product.

No, the link is to the product. You don't have to pay to see the review!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement