Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bloggers and #ad (Naming bloggers means a ban!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

wolfmoon87 wrote: »
    No, the link is to the product. You don't have to pay to see the review!

I thought that's what it meant first too! Thought you had to buy the link to read it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

I read the new review out of curiosity! So it is another nonpaid non sponsored post... maybe cos the other (foundation) was last year it's not counted as part of the 4 Jan ones?? But I clicked on link and it redirects you? I'm not up to speed with all the affiliate link things so not sure is it one? If it is then it's hardly non paid or sponsored? Anyone else see it?

Edit to add-Also she was sent the product she didn't buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mzo1978

idunno78 wrote: »
    I read the new review out of curiosity! So it is another nonpaid non sponsored post... maybe cos the other (foundation) was last year it's not counted as part of the 4 Jan ones?? But I clicked on link and it redirects you? I'm not up to speed with all the affiliate link things so not sure is it one? If it is then it's hardly non paid or sponsored? Anyone else see it?

Edit to add-Also she was sent the product she didn't buy it.

I was just looking at a smaller blogger there who had ad written on her snap she said I've to let u know it's an ad but I did not get paid to promote this website but I have been given a small fee to post a competition my Facebook + instagram page for them so while u are not lying if u have not been paid to mentioned them u may in fact be paid to show their product it's all the same once money changes hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I LOL at the blog that stated that most reviews aren't sponsored... but charges 1500 ex vat to visit a beauty salon

I LOL at the blog that stated that most reviews aren't sponsored... but charges 1500 ex vat to visit a beauty salon

When you think about it, that's some serious money to a) just mention/give a fairly basic review of a salon (and lets be honest, this particular blogger wasn't exactly gifted with the ability of creative writing or even a basic grasp of the English language) b) get a free treatment at the same time. And then to not even mention it being a freebie/sponsored post/advertisement - unbelievable really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

It is pretty laughable alright. Why make such a song and a dance about this post not being sponsored if most of them already aren't anyhow? Doesn't make a bit of sence! I'm sure her followers won't pick up on it tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭scarbouro

This seems to be a hot topic at the moment with everyone trying to get fit and healthy for the new year. I see some of the Bloggers trying to push this stuff and not disclosing that they are getting paid for it. Thinking, by being an ambassador doesn't require them to tell their followers that it's an #ad ect. and in fact getting big bucks for peddling this crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

scarbouro wrote: »
    This seems to be a hot topic at the moment with everyone trying to get fit and healthy for the new year. I see some of the Bloggers trying to push this stuff and not disclosing that they are getting paid for it. Thinking, by being an ambassador doesn't require them to tell their followers that it's an #ad ect. and in fact getting big bucks for peddling this crap.

I was just coming on to post about this exact same thing. So glad to see someone finally standing up and saying what the majority of us think.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

Surely if a blogger is having a coffee morning with Aldi for mammies and followers it should be #ad.

I doubt a heap of aldi nappies etc would be payment for you and your baby giving up an entire morning..... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Everyday this blogger continues to ignore that she is doing sponsored and ad posts. Last week perfume, yesterday tea, today aldi. :mad:

scarbouro wrote: »

Seen all this yesterday, such a hot topic. So interesting. In the comments of this topic on facebook, one Irish fitness blogger said that she....... "was at a business talk with Gary Vee a few months back and one of the owners of one of the "skinny tea" brands stood up and asked him how to push their brand further. His answer? "Pay online influencers" "

Gary Vee is basically a social media guru, and i've seen a lot of bloggers reading his book and posting about going to his talks. This literally shows that if a product is awful , if the right people promote the brand it will probably do well. Followers will lap anything up. Im sure thats whats happening with the tea at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I've been following this thread for ages now for no apparent reason. I'm not their target market (male) so I've had to work out who the people you are talking about were and then I downloaded snap chat to see what people are talking about.

It's incredible I'm going to delete them tonight but it would actually put me off buying in meaghers, in fairness she did say ad when they got the presents this morning.

You can actually see a trend that they speak about stuff that they want to do in vague terms, as I'd imagine they are hopping that companies will get in touch.

One particular one mentioned hoping to have a holiday and a mortgage. So if they start mentioning names you'll know that a company contacted them.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭RCK1406

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    I've been following this thread for ages now for no apparent reason. I'm not their target market (male) so I've had to work out who the people you are talking about were and then I downloaded snap chat to see what people are talking about.

It's incredible I'm going to delete them tonight but it would actually put me off buying in meaghers, in fairness she did say ad when they got the presents this morning.

You can actually see a trend that they speak about stuff that they want to do in vague terms, as I'd imagine they are hopping that companies will get in touch.

One particular one mentioned hoping to have a holiday and a mortgage. So if they start mentioning names you'll know that a company contacted them.

I noticed that too with the blogger about a holiday and a mortgage I can foresee her being "gifted" a holiday like other bloggers last year; and also think we'll see a lot of non disclosed ads so same blogger can afford to buy a house!

RCK1406 wrote: »
    I noticed that too with the blogger about a holiday and a mortgage I can foresee her being "gifted" a holiday like other bloggers last year; and also think we'll see a lot of non disclosed ads so same blogger can afford to buy a house!

Hinting to get a holiday is cringey. Hinting at the need for a mortgage is downright pathetic. Why not work hard and save for a deposit like everyone else? Highly doubt if any of the mortgage lenders will be collaborating with bloggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

ratmouse wrote: »
    Hinting to get a holiday is cringey. Hinting at the need for a mortgage is downright pathetic. Why not work hard and save for a deposit like everyone else? Highly doubt if any of the mortgage lenders will be collaborating with bloggers.

Wouldn't be surprised. Didn't BOI send bloggers hoodies awhile back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised. Didn't BOI send bloggers hoodies awhile back?

Sending someone a hoody is a bit different to giving them a 300k loan. I presume most of them are self employed so it's harder to get a loan from the start. Add to that that it's very fickle market and approving the mortgage could be risky.

The banks are hopefully never so desperate to resort to collaborating with bloggers.

Just thinking in terms of sponsorships and ads, surprised main blogger has never had a collaboration/sponsorship deal (declared or otherwise) with a wine brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Just thinking in terms of sponsorships and ads, surprised main blogger has never had a collaboration/sponsorship deal (declared or otherwise) with a wine brand.
    If you are referring to the same blogger I'm thinking of, she has promoted a few different alcohol products/brands over the past year or so. I do think she did #ad most of them though. However I personally don't agree with bloggers promoting alcohol brands due to a portion of their audience being under the legal age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

The banks are hopefully never so desperate to resort to collaborating with bloggers.

They already have to a much lesser extent. BOI had a well known male snapchatter going around to the colleges getting students to open accounts and giving out power banks in Sept/Oct.
    Having said that, the people in my local university who were doing that were an outsourced marketing firm, so it could have been them that hired him.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    If you are referring to the same blogger I'm thinking of, she has promoted a few different alcohol products/brands over the past year or so. I do think she did #ad most of them though. However I personally don't agree with bloggers promoting alcohol brands due to a portion of their audience being under the legal age.

I agree with you. It doesn't sit right with me in terms of promoting alcohol and having quite a young, possibly underage, following.

• Advertisement

They already have to a much lesser extent. BOI had a well known male snapchatter going around to the colleges getting students to open accounts and giving out power banks in Sept/Oct.
    Having said that, the people in my local university who were doing that were an outsourced marketing firm, so it could have been them that hired him.

Oh really? I don't know much about many of the male bloggers so I hadn't heard of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

When talking about saving for a mortgage did currys/also blogger say she and her partner were saving €1000 each per month? I'm not on a high wage but I know for a fact I'd never be able to save that kind of money per month. To me she must be taking it in to save like that!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

heyjude88 wrote: »
    Surely if a blogger is having a coffee morning with Aldi for mammies and followers it should be #ad.

I doubt a heap of aldi nappies etc would be payment for you and your baby giving up an entire morning..... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Everyday this blogger continues to ignore that she is doing sponsored and ad posts. Last week perfume, yesterday tea, today aldi. :mad:
    She would want to make sure Aldi don't promote their new formula at the coffee morning, or she will be violating the law......again....

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

I was just thinking Permanent tsb had the well known male blogger who now works with RTE, do actual ads for them couple of months ago for their new Explore Account wherein you can get money back on bills.

Wellyd wrote: »
    When talking about saving for a mortgage did currys/also blogger say she and her partner were saving €1000 each per month? I'm not on a high wage but I know for a fact I'd never be able to save that kind of money per month. To me she must be taking it in to save like that!

That is a fairly decent amount to save, each, for definite. Sure if they get a mortgage, no doubt there'll be a (not so) discrete plea for various house hold bits (all possibly without #sponsored no doubt). Main blogger seemed to "happen" upon various household items when moving to the new house too.

Wellyd wrote: »

I had the exact same thought that if she's able to save that much how much is she actually earning a month from all her non sponsored ads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

I had the exact same thought that if she's able to save that much how much is she actually earning a month from all her non sponsored ads!

They're not paying market rate rent tho I'd imagine not that they are living with her mom. I'm sure that's a help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

They're not paying market rate rent tho I'd imagine not that they are living with her mom. I'm sure that's a help.

And most of her baby stuff is free.

Not to speculate on people's finances, but both myself and my fiancé live not to far from where the area she lives (so taking into rent areas) and with the two of us working and earning a fair enough amount, if we moved back home we still couldn't save that amount each. But then again I can't speculate on other people's finances

• Advertisement

Same person promoting both aldi & lidi not sure that'd go down well.

Not to speculate on people's finances, but both myself and my fiancé live not to far from where the area she lives (so taking into rent areas) and with the two of us working and earning a fair enough amount, if we moved back home we still couldn't save that amount each. But then again I can't speculate on other people's finances

Personally I do think it's possible, assuming a reasonable income. Maybe there'll be months where it's not, like the month my car tax and insurance come up for renewal at the same time or if I have some unexpected expense. But most of the time in a normal month, if I'm not blowing money on make up that I don't really need and that type of thing, I'd find it possible to save it. Renting outside Dublin for context. Though it does highlight that she must be making a healthy income from social media unless she's planning to go back to MUA work too.

Personally I do think it's possible, assuming a reasonable income. Maybe there'll be months where it's not, like the month my car tax and insurance come up for renewal at the same time or if I have some unexpected expense. But most of the time in a normal month, if I'm not blowing money on make up that I don't really need and that type of thing, I'd find it possible to save it. Renting outside Dublin for context. Though it does highlight that she must be making a healthy income from social media unless she's planning to go back to MUA work too.

Being honest, I'm not not her biggest fan but if they are earning it and can afford it, I'm delighted for them tbh. Saving isn't easy. We don't have a car and we aren't parents so I can only assume that must be a pressure on their finances.

It's also possible she lives a frugal lifestyle and is careful with her money and makes it go further. Sure when you get gifted loads of stuff that helps cos there's less to buy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

I think it would be easier to save 1000 a month if you had no expenses or spend money on luxury items. These bloggers seem to get a lot of stuff gifted and then combined with living at home, it would be easy peasy. Some even seem to have free food, I would imagine for snap chat promotion, for example kerrigans meats.
    Free hotels, free make up, free lunches, free holidays, free cars for some, free phones, free TVs, free PT sessions, free clothes.
    It seems all you have to do is hit snap chat and say how you wish you had X, a company will see it and ta da, a week later it is in through the door.
    I think a lot of the bloggers get vouchers and this lets them get away with saying "I just popped into X and got a few bits, let me show you." Not technically an Ad so it doesn't have to be declared.

I'm confused, did they say they are saving €1000 each or €1000 collectively? If they are only saving €1000 collectively then they could well easily do that living at home x

• Advertisement

Why is she even discussing/telling her followers how much she is able to save? Bit vulgar going on about money really

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭maydream

I never post but I'm sick of this not putting #ad on. she went in to lidl today and bought the fruit and showed the blender she got last week. then hours later she makes a smoothies and then says she has teamed up with lidl and has #ad on it. But that #ad should have been on the post when she went to buy the ingredients.
    I can't understand why she is even discussing a mortgage online.
    I think it's all just a lack of maturity.

I'm confused, did they say they are saving €1000 each or €1000 collectively? If they are only saving €1000 collectively then they could well easily do that living at home x

Each from what i can remember it's gone off SC now... if they are that's great just wish I could do it too!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

€1000 each a month

How many followers would these people have? Also what's MUA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Think currys / mammy blogger has around 50/60k
    MUA - make up artist

2 different bloggers are peddling the same skin stuff tonight.
    I've seen at least 5 this week use a specific facemask. Really interesting as theres a blogger who is a teacher and I normally like her snaps but she is also talking about these same products. She just found the mask tonight.....

Maybe she didn't get it for free, maybe she did? Just a bit weird that literally i've seen the same mask so much this week.

Also, So much talk all day about the pharmacy from currys blogger, lots of snaps tonight and then at the very ed, a little #ad. So PROUD of her.... :D

MUA = Make Up Artist

Are Mammy/Currys not the same thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

When she snaps the keys to her new house, I'll be half expecting #spon

When she snaps the keys to her new house, I'll be half expecting #spon

We all will! Only she conveniently forgets to use said # though don't forget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

2 different bloggers are peddling different bloggers are peddling the same skin stuff tonight.
    I've seen at least 5 this week use a specific facemask. Really interesting as theres a blogger who is a teacher and I normally like her snaps but she is also talking about these same products. She just found the mask tonight.....

Maybe she didn't get it for free, maybe she did? Just a bit weird that literally i've seen the same mask so much this week. [\quote]
    To be fair I genuinely "just found" that mask in my own drawer this evening and made a mental note to try it out over the weekend if I get a chance. I picked it up weeks ago. And I hadn't noticed any snaps about it before I found it. Friday nights many people relax with a face mask, glass of wine and some tv. It's a fairly inexpensive face mask which is new to the market, I doubt very much there would be anything more to those snaps about it!

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    2 different bloggers are peddling different bloggers are peddling the same skin stuff tonight.

Maybe she didn't get it for free, maybe she did? Just a bit weird that literally i've seen the same mask so much this week. [\quote]
    To be fair I genuinely "just found" that mask in my own drawer this evening and made a mental note to try it out over the weekend if I get a chance. I picked it up weeks ago. And I hadn't noticed any snaps about it before I found it. Friday nights many people relax with a face mask, glass of wine and some tv. It's a fairly inexpensive face mask which is new to the market, I doubt very much there would be anything more to those snaps about it!

she said in the snaps later she needed to clear things up. She wasnt paid but she was sent the products for free. She also said that people had snapped her asking was she being paid, and said no she only got them sent to her no money. Now I didn't snap her asking in case people think I did :eek:

I like that she came back on to clarify :o

• Registered Users Posts: 39 heretogetreal

So, are there actually any decent Irish blogger on Snapchat?

Any that are honest & don't post about the same boring sh*te every single day?

I'm assuming we can name names here as this is a positive but if not just describe them like we'be been doing & I'll figure it out....

I follow all the decent ones on Insta but haven't really gotten in to the whole SC thing

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

So, are there actually any decent Irish blogger on Snapchat?

Any that are honest & don't post about the same boring sh*te every single day?

I'm assuming we can name names here as this is a positive but if not just describe them like we'be been doing & I'll figure it out....

I follow all the decent ones on Insta but haven't really gotten in to the whole SC thing

We're not allowed name, be the comment good bad or indifferent

I do however adore the blonde Limerick singer that was in telly last night. Her snaps are gas and she's so real about everything

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement