Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bloggers and #ad (Naming bloggers means a ban!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

anna080 wrote: »
    One blogger is collaborating with Rimmell lipsticks but she only disclosed this yesterday on her Instagram, but for weeks now she's been plugging their lipsticks on snapchat without #ad.

Does she have #ad on her instagram post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Does she have #ad on her instagram post?

Yes, she does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Prob a silly question but do the brand ambassadors get paid? I never see the ambassadors using #ad or #spon on any of their posts mainly the bloggers plugging detox teas, teeth whitening and makeup brushes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Mugatuu wrote: »
    Prob a silly question but do the brand ambassadors get paid? I never see the ambassadors using #ad or #spon on any of their posts mainly the bloggers plugging detox teas, teeth whitening and makeup brushes

I remember one who is doing the tea detox one saying that because she is brand ambassador she doesn't have to say #ad. I don't know is that right or not though! She also showed of 800€ worth (roughly in not good at maths) of jewelry just now but don't know was it a gift or did she buy herself. Forgot to add: as far as I know they do get paid!

#presssample is a great idea! A small (I think) galway blogger infollow does this!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

idunno78 wrote: »

I remember one who is doing the tea detox one saying that because she is brand ambassador she doesn't have to say #ad. I don't know is that right or not though! She also showed of 800€ worth (roughly in not good at maths) of jewelry just now but don't know was it a gift or did she buy herself.

#presssample is a great idea! A small (I think) galway blogger infollow does this!

Seen that jewellery post on snapchat. It seemed to me like she was gifted it because she made a post on Instagram about it but of course neither had #ad but I'm dubious..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I actually don't know how that works but for example you have actresses who are brand ambassador and paid for it. If they are asked in the interview about the perfume they are wearing their reply won't be marked as ad. And even more obviously interviews on for example Norton plugging a movie are considered original content. This things certainly did not start with bloggers but it would be interesting to see what are actual rules around it.

Personally I think it's double edged sword. There will be always people who will follow someone for basically voyeuristic reasons but I am interested in ideas how to wear things and for that I find most main Irish bloggers useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

I remember one who is doing the tea detox one saying that because she is brand ambassador she doesn't have to say #ad. I don't know is that right or not though! She also showed of 800€ worth (roughly in not good at maths) of jewelry just now but don't know was it a gift or did she buy herself. Forgot to add: as far as I know they do get paid!

Don't you mean CELEBRITY Brand ambassador :)

One blogger is collaborating with Rimmell lipsticks but she only disclosed this yesterday on her Instagram, but for weeks now she's been plugging their lipsticks on snapchat without #ad.

She's also disclosing the Parfois handbags as #ad this evening on her Facebook but she featured Parfois handbags on her Snapchat a few days ago with no #. She seems to be a regular offender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

She's also disclosing the Parfois handbags as #ad this evening on her Facebook but she featured Parfois handbags on her Snapchat a few days ago with no #. She seems to be a regular offender.

She's the worst from what I can see. But she gets away with it more because she's nice and people don't like to criticise her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pocketrocket1

Not all brand ambassadors get paid but I also know that the teeth whitening people, the tea people and the tan people are bringing in big big money. Sure one of them just bought a house in a very prestigious golf resort

• Advertisement

Not all brand ambassadors get paid but I also know that the teeth whitening people, the tea people and the tan people are bringing in big big money. Sure one of them just bought a house in a very prestigious golf resort

The one with the new house is the one who isn't disclosing paid for promotions with numerous brands on Snapchat it seems.

She's the worst from what I can see. But she gets away with it more because she's nice and people don't like to criticise her.

I think she comes across more genuine in what she shows! I would never have thought some of the stuff she shows might possibly have been ads until I saw you guys bring it up here! Although when she was wearing river island back when I first started following her on snapchat i did wonder about that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭forumuser

I think she comes across more genuine in what she shows!
    Agree..she has a very friendly, down to earth way on snapchat that makes you forget she's trying to flog stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

forumuser wrote: »
    Agree..she has a very friendly, down to earth way on snapchat that makes you forget she's trying to flog stuff.
    Yes and I think that's one of the things that sets her apart from the other "full time" bloggers. She comes across as genuine enough, she isn't so materialistic as others and isn't quite so "me, me, me", "I got sent this and I got sent that". I think she's one of the few bloggers who hasn't got my back up over something, she's mature and confident in that she knows who she is as a person, she's not trying too hard.

I know I'm probably labouring on the point about her being a former model but I just would have viewed her blog as an extension or evolution of her modelling, still a job you get paid to promote things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Some bloggers (as in the ones who actually write blog posts!) will disclose if they are reviewing a press sample. Fair enough to review press samples, I wouldn't expect bloggers to go out and just buy products to review and often samples are sent out before the product is available in shops. However what grinds my gears are the bloggers who only seem to review press samples and their reviews read just like the press release. It just feels like some of them are going through the motions, need to be seen posting reviews to remain on PR mailing lists and probably wouldn't actually buy the product with their own cash or wouldn't have gone through the bother of trying out the product if it wasn't handed to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fed_u

I have to agree Sunny Dayz - reviews at this stage are all the same especially when it comes to these 'influencers'.. I've actually just looked them all up and I'm amazed at how many of them are included/involved but I dunno if it's more this Co. taking advantage of their individual success. The fact that their is so much uncertainty on what is spon/ad is still bugging me when blogging doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast!! Everyone now has their 'brand' and the one that I like has all sponsored posts up this week would really make you wonder...

Jese that blogger ye are on about that did the VHI ad... I only recently started following her after thinking i wouldn't like her but I did! But now am wondering is she not as genuine as I though! Another blogger I follow was at hueston station and had every snap #ad and the other girl was there a few hours later but no mention of it being an ad! In snaps just before she was on about a brush she saw and got cos it looked good and showed how it worked. But a makeup artist was sent/gifted it about 2 weeks ago!

Also has anyone here reported anyone to ASAI? I'm just wondering does your name Get released or does it stay anon? Or what is process? Can pm me if you want as it's off topic. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭onthemitch

Jese that blogger ye are on about that did the VHI ad... I only recently started following her after thinking i wouldn't like her but I did! But now am wondering is she not as genuine as I though! Another blogger I follow was at hueston station and had every snap #ad and the other girl was there a few hours later but no mention of it being an ad! In snaps just before she was on about a brush she saw and got cos it looked good and showed how it worked. But a makeup artist was sent/gifted it about 2 weeks ago!

Also has anyone here reported anyone to ASAI? I'm just wondering does your name Get released or does it stay anon? Or what is process? Can pm me if you want as it's off topic. Thanks!

I've reported to the ASAI once; as a general rule you stay anonymous but they decided that, as I am a fellow blogger, I "have an interest" and said they would only continue with my complaint if I waived my anonymity. So I said no. Another blogger I know had the same experience. (Of course I have an interest – it's in my interest that everyone be forced to be transparent so we all stop getting tarred with the same brush!)

I think it is pretty relevant as it's on the topic of bloggers not disclosing / using the hashtag...

On another note, there's a piece in today's Irish Times which is pretty interesting in terms of influencer marketing; in it, it seems to suggest that payment – either in cash or "in kind" – constitutes a marketing communication and should be disclosed as such. So you could then argue that free trips etc should be hashtagged (maybe less so with makeup cos you couldn't really argue that it's a payment "in kind" but if you get a free holiday in exchange for coverage...) I dunno how they'd work that one out!

Link here: http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/influencer-marketing-honest-blogging-or-fake-endorsement-1.2887964

Onthemitch, thanks! I reported someone. Received a letter confirming it. It heard nothing since! I'm not a blogger so hopefully that means they will keep my name anon!
    I read that article saw it on your FB this morning! Hopefully people take note...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

onthemitch wrote: »
    I've reported to the ASAI once; as a general rule you stay anonymous but they decided that, as I am a fellow blogger, I "have an interest" and said they would only continue with my complaint if I waived my anonymity. So I said no. Another blogger I know had the same experience. (Of course I have an interest – it's in my interest that everyone be forced to be transparent so we all stop getting tarred with the same brush!)

I think it is pretty relevant as it's on the topic of bloggers not disclosing / using the hashtag...

On another note, there's a piece in today's Irish Times which is pretty interesting in terms of influencer marketing; in it, it seems to suggest that payment – either in cash or "in kind" – constitutes a marketing communication and should be disclosed as such. So you could then argue that free trips etc should be hashtagged (maybe less so with makeup cos you couldn't really argue that it's a payment "in kind" but if you get a free holiday in exchange for coverage...) I dunno how they'd work that one out!

Link here: http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/influencer-marketing-honest-blogging-or-fake-endorsement-1.2887964

Onthemitch, do you mind me asking why you didn't just waiver remaining anonymous and proceed with the complaint anyway and the same regarding the other blogger who you said tried to make a complaint? It seems unfair that if some bloggers are honest and upfront about what is sponsored/a paid promotion,etc then others should be subjected to do the same. It just seems an awful pity that the rest can do what they like and probably do so knowing that nobody will actually report them for fear of the complainant's details being revealed. It almost appears that these other bloggers are aware of this and coast along nicely in the security that no other blogger would dare open their mouth and call them out.

It's an interesting article but I can't agree with your negativity is due to jealousy comment. The vast majority of negativity I see if down to people getting tired of the lack of transparency that appears to be rife in the Irish blogging/influencer scene at the moment. Much like what is being discussed in thread such as this one. It would appear a lot of the people who express negativity here are career women like myself and not stay at home mummies who may not be able to have the latest eyeshadow palette for what ever reason (not that I think this is he case for stay at home mothers in general). I think you underestimate the issue by putting it down to jealousy. The only half decent palette distributed this year that I'm aware of is the new UD ultimate basics one. It looks alright, not particularly special, it certainly doesn't inspire jealousy in me. In the last 6 months alone I have purchased the Too Faced Sweet Peach palette, the Kat Von D shade and light eye palette, the ABH Modern Renaissance palette and the UD Vice 4 palette. I own all the UD naked palettes except the smokey including the 2 small basics palettes, the MAC warm neutrals palette, a The Blam palette, a load of MUG and Mac single shadows. Yet I have posted negative comments in this thread. Could that only be inspired by my jealousy of them receiving an eyeshadow palette for free? I can assure you it's not. Like a lot of other posters here I'm sure, there's no palette that is outside my reach or that I wouldn't buy for myself if I really wanted it. Personally I have zero interest in a lot of what they receive, a giant box of orange foundation and poorly pigmented eyeshadows from Penneys? Eh no thanks.

As far as I can tell the main negativity i see is down to the things being discussed in this and other similar threads. Getting a telly free from Currys but pretending you bought it for your mother, not bothering to # on Snapchat because it disappears in 24 hours so you probably won't get caught, not disclosing paid promotions, the lack of any original content, the same free item of the day or event all across the social media of every influencer and nothing else. It's so uninteresting seeing 10 different Snapchat stories of the same Body Shop lunch event. Why do they all think we want to see them eating Coco Brown cupcakes?? What value does that content have for followers? It's lazy and generic. How about doing a full honest review of the product after actually using it for a reasonable period of time. I don't care if the cupcakes are to die for if the company is producing fake tan. I'm not going to be putting the cupcakes on my legs on New Year's Eve.

And the predictable cries of jealousy once they get called out for shady behaviour, not specifically aiming hat at you, jealousy is the word regularly touted around.

Quite frankly I don't have an issue with ads as long as they are appropriately disclosed, I appreciate that people need to pay their rent too. I checked out your M&S collaboration in full knowledge that it was an ad because I liked how upfront you were about it. It's the underhanded carry on that goes with ad that I find people objecting to.

I have no explanation for the people who go on someone's Instagram and posts something like "your thighs are too big" or " need to fix your teeth", there is no reasonable explanation for that type of behaviour. But that is not the same thing as people expressing negativity about undisclosed ads, it's not just the influencers who are getting tarred with one brush when it's not warranted.

It's an interesting article but I can't agree with your negativity is due to jealousy comment. The vast majority of negativity I see if down to people getting tired of the lack of transparency that appears to be rife in the Irish blogging/influencer scene at the moment. Much like what is being discussed in thread such as this one. It would appear a lot of the people who express negativity here are career women like myself and not stay at home mummies who may not be able to have the latest eyeshadow palette for what ever reason (not that I think this is he case for stay at home mothers in general). I think you underestimate the issue by putting it down to jealousy. The only half decent palette distributed this year that I'm aware of is the new UD ultimate basics one. It looks alright, not particularly special, it certainly doesn't inspire jealousy in me. In the last 6 months alone I have purchased the Too Faced Sweet Peach palette, the Kat Von D shade and light eye palette, the ABH Modern Renaissance palette and the UD Vice 4 palette. I own all the UD naked palettes except the smokey including the 2 small basics palettes, the MAC warm neutrals palette, a The Blam palette, a load of MUG and Mac single shadows. Yet I have posted negative comments in this thread. Could that only be inspired by my jealousy of them receiving an eyeshadow palette for free? I can assure you it's not. Like a lot of other posters here I'm sure, there's no palette that is outside my reach or that I wouldn't buy for myself if I really wanted it. Personally I have zero interest in a lot of what they receive, a giant box of orange foundation and poorly pigmented eyeshadows from Penneys? Eh no thanks.

As far as I can tell the main negativity i see is down to the things being discussed in this and other similar threads. Getting a telly free from Currys but pretending you bought it for your mother, not bothering to # on Snapchat because it disappears in 24 hours so you probably won't get caught, not disclosing paid promotions, the lack of any original content, the same free item of the day or event all across the social media of every influencer and nothing else. It's so uninteresting seeing 10 different Snapchat stories of the same Body Shop lunch event. Why do they all think we want to see them eating Coco Brown cupcakes?? What value does that content have for followers? It's lazy and generic. How about doing a full honest review of the product after actually using it for a reasonable period of time. I don't care if the cupcakes are to die for if the company is producing fake tan. I'm not going to be putting the cupcakes on my legs on New Year's Eve.

And the predictable cries of jealousy once they get called out for shady behaviour, not specifically aiming hat at you, jealousy is the word regularly touted around.

Quite frankly I don't have an issue with ads as long as they are appropriately disclosed, I appreciate that people need to pay their rent too. I checked out your M&S collaboration in full knowledge that it was an ad because I liked how upfront you were about it. It's the underhanded carry on that goes with ad that I find people objecting to.

I have no explanation for the people who go on someone's Instagram and posts something like "your thighs are too big" or " need to fix your teeth", there is no reasonable explanation for that type of behaviour. But that is not the same thing as people expressing negativity about undisclosed ads, it's not just the influencers who are getting tarred with one brush when it's not warranted.

Sometimes things get a little lost in translation, and actually I totally agree with you – but I was specifically talking about any negativity that I get. Specifically me. Like, I get so little of what other people would call "hate" or "negativity", and when I do it's essentially people going, "I can't believe you're complaining about being busy when all you do is sit at home on your computer" or "you think you're stressed, try having three kids and two jobs" (genuine messages I've got on Snapchat). So what I meant was, it's jealousy in the sense that I seem to be complaining about what is – for all intents and purposes – a totally charmed life of doing what seems to be very little work!

So when people are "negative" towards me, it's usually them going, would you shut up moaning about things, I have genuine problems! That's something I put down to jealousy in the very old-fashioned sense (not just "I'm so jealous your life is amazing", but "I'm really struggling and watching you getting freebie after freebie and talking about stress is really bothering me"). Does that make sense?

I did think, reading over it, that I sounded like every other snowflake going, "I hate negativity – those b*tches are just jealous!", when that's not really what I meant!

Apologies for any typos above. Typed it on my phone. I'm sure you'll get the gist even if there is the odd letter missing here and there. I can spell, I just can't be bothered going back to fix it, hope no one minds.

ratmouse wrote: »
    Onthemitch, do you mind me asking why you didn't just waiver remaining anonymous and proceed with the complaint anyway and the same regarding the other blogger who you said tried to make a complaint? It seems unfair that if some bloggers are honest and upfront about what is sponsored/a paid promotion,etc then others should be subjected to do the same. It just seems an awful pity that the rest can do what they like and probably do so knowing that nobody will actually report them for fear of the complainant's details being revealed. It almost appears that these other bloggers are aware of this and coast along nicely in the security that no other blogger would dare open their mouth and call them out.

Would you make a complaint against a colleague's behaviour if you knew that colleague was going to be informed exactly who had made the complaint? I mean, it'd be one thing if the colleague was bullying you, but say if you reported a colleague for stealing from the company – wouldn't you expect to remain anonymous?

It's a tough one, but I (a) have enough enemies in this industry (by accident) without adding to that and (b) it also comes back on the brand involved, and as someone who works in this industry I don't want brands to shy away from working with me because I landed another brand in hot water over an undisclosed piece of marketing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Regarding jealousy I doubt that anyone is jealous of a pallete but if that palette comes with a facial, dinner out, a holiday, maybe a car and loads of clothes people start to envy the lifestyle. You can see even in threads here how quickly a brand of car or someone buying a house it is mentioned. It was worse before when bloggers were named and any purchase of designer shoes was criticized as people getting notions and not buying in Penny's anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Would you make a complaint against a colleague's behaviour if you knew that colleague was going to be informed exactly who had made the complaint? I mean, it'd be one thing if the colleague was bullying you, but say if you reported a colleague for stealing from the company – wouldn't you expect to remain anonymous?

It's a tough one, but I (a) have enough enemies in this industry (by accident) without adding to that and (b) it also comes back on the brand involved, and as someone who works in this industry I don't want brands to shy away from working with me because I landed another brand in hot water over an undisclosed piece of marketing.

Yes, your response makes perfect sense, especially in terms of how it could affect you personally and any potential future brand collaboration. I suppose the way I see it is - there's you not wanting to "whistle blow" so to speak on industry acquaintances based on how it could reflect on you, but they themselves don't give a damn that they and their underhanded tactics are 1)helping to contribute to all blogger reputations being tarred with the same brush and 2) possibly making a heftier living in a far from upfront manner. They don't care about you bloggers who conduct your professions in an open and honest manner, so in ways, (even though I completely see where you are coming from in your response above) I don't see why the honest bloggers should shield the others with any sort of undeserved protection.

Sometimes things get a little lost in translation, and actually I totally agree with you – but I was specifically talking about any negativity that I get. Specifically me. Like, I get so little of what other people would call "hate" or "negativity", and when I do it's essentially people going, "I can't believe you're complaining about being busy when all you do is sit at home on your computer" or "you think you're stressed, try having three kids and two jobs" (genuine messages I've got on Snapchat). So what I meant was, it's jealousy in the sense that I seem to be complaining about what is – for all intents and purposes – a totally charmed life of doing what seems to be very little work!

So when people are "negative" towards me, it's usually them going, would you shut up moaning about things, I have genuine problems! That's something I put down to jealousy in the very old-fashioned sense (not just "I'm so jealous your life is amazing", but "I'm really struggling and watching you getting freebie after freebie and talking about stress is really bothering me"). Does that make sense?

I did think, reading over it, that I sounded like every other snowflake going, "I hate negativity – those b*tches are just jealous!", when that's not really what I meant!

I think this is something which isn't unique to influencers or bloggers tho, for some reason some people seem to think that no one else's life is as hard as their own but I guess you being in the public eye somewhat makes it easier for those people to express that to you directly. As a childless woman I regularly notice that attitude from people I know who have kids, "you don't know what tired/busy/stress is until you have kids", "you have it so easy", "€xx amount for a makeup palette, if you had kids you would have other things to spend your money on than makeup". They are oblivious to the fact I often work 60+ hours a week in a stressful job, I spent 5 years in college, 3 years training post college and completed horrendously stressful professional exams to have the charmed life that they perceive. I'm sure it's no joke being a parent but neither is my job but they are the choices we made and I'll spend the €70 on the Hourglass blush palette if I want because I feckin deserve it. My cousin who is a teacher will tell you the same, every one thinks she only works 20 odd hours a week which isn't the reality of the situation but that what people see when they look at the teaching profession.

So yeah, I Understand your point, I don't think it's unique to the blogging industry though and people face those opinions in every walk of life.

I don't think it's unique to the blogging industry though and people face those opinions in every walk of life.

They absolutely do – but in almost all cases where someone is angry at you for how you live your life, I think that's about them, and ultimately down to jealousy. Not that they'd swap their kids for your Hourglass palette, but them looking at you, and at themselves, and going, "God I wouldn't mind spending a day in her shoes!" That's where the vitriol / anger / petty sniping comes from I think!

They absolutely do – but in almost all cases where someone is angry at you for how you live your life, I think that's about them, and ultimately down to jealousy. Not that they'd swap their kids for your Hourglass palette, but them looking at you, and at themselves, and going, "God I wouldn't mind spending a day in her shoes!" That's where the vitriol / anger / petty sniping comes from I think!

Absolutely agree, most people can grasp that everyone faces challenges and no career/life is perfect or easy, if it was why wouldn't everyone be doing it. The ones who can't, like the ones who message you, are the one with the issues. I sometimes look at someone on maternity leave and think I wouldn't mind spending my days in Costa drinking coffee but of course we all know there's more to having a baby than that. TBH I'd never swap my ambient lighting blushes for their screaming baby anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I read the article. It was nothing new to anyone who's read a little deeper into the whole blogging and social media world.
    It was a bit eye rolling to paint some people as jealous. I've two kids, I work hard and I can afford to buy most things I want. I'm not jealous of bloggers who go on a bus to a Penny's store launch en masse and all snapchat and IG the same lunch. I just wonder what ROI there is for these brands from doing these things.
    I get very regular feedback on my work because of the nature of my job. My line manager and colleagues aren't being negative when the feedback is less than stellar. It's good to know what I'm doing well on and what needs improvement. If my job was selling a lifestyle and my writing I know I'd have to take on board that type of feedback too.

• Advertisement

lazygal wrote: »

I get very regular feedback on my work because of the nature of my job. My line manager and colleagues aren't being negative when the feedback is less than stellar. It's good to know what I'm doing well on and what needs improvement. If my job was selling a lifestyle and my writing I know I'd have to take on board that type of feedback too.

The difference between you and bloggers is that their entire identity is wrapped up in what they do. I'm guessing you don't completely identify yourself by your job.

I attended an event with lots of the better known Irish bloggers and to be brutally honest I have never come across a more insecure, paranoid bunch of people in my life. Their lives are their work. They take such massive exception to any criticism because they see it as an attack on them, whereas you or I take criticism of our work on the chin and move on with the rest of our lives.

I would personally hate to be in that position, regardless of how many makeup palettes or handbags I got for free. You'd have to be particularly dim to envy a fake life on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

The difference between you and bloggers is that their entire identity is wrapped up in what they do. I'm guessing you don't completely identify yourself by your job.

I attended an event with lots of the better known Irish bloggers and to be brutally honest I have never come across a more insecure, paranoid bunch of people in my life. Their lives are their work. They take such massive exception to any criticism because they see it as an attack on them, whereas you or I take criticism of our work on the chin and move on with the rest of our lives.

I would personally hate to be in that position, regardless of how many makeup palettes or handbags I got for free. You'd have to be particularly dim to envy a fake life on social media.

I recently stumbled across a well known blogger barking at a friend(?!) whilst taking pictures for IG. It just made me a little sad tbh! Obviously when your work is your day to day lifestyle, lines can get very blurred, very quickly. I don't think bloggers need the faux celebrity status, at the end of the day 90% are carbon copies of each other, posting about the same products, going to the same events, launching the same brands with faddy products and wearing the same clothes.

There's just too much special snowflake in a very small market.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Wexy86

I wonder has there been some sort of crack down on from the ASAI on using the relevant #. I've noticed as mentioned earlier in this thread and the new jeans line blogger is # everything whereas she never did previously, Same goes for a makeup artist who is now # arnotts and meaghers even through shes been plugging both for months. I remember one beauty blogger(teacher/new baby) saying a while back that she was contacted by the ASAI on items on her blog from years ago and she had to prove they were gifted and the blog itself was not an ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭scarbouro

I definitely have noticed a major increase today of the #ad in those particular bloggers social media, who never seem to use it before!

Re Wexy86 - These are the three I actually follow... noticed it during the week with the new jeans blogger for sure!! Felt she was always fairly upfront as 'collaboration' or 'I've been working with or sent' was always mentioned.. I think I read somewhere (maybe here) that the ASAI had like contacted bloggers again in Nov so it'll be interesting to see how things go!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Someone said to me today she thinks some of them are using #ad when it isn't actually paid for to try to show they're 'big' enough on social media to merit being paid, kind of showing other companies they're open for business type thing. Made me wonder.

fed_u wrote: »
    Re Wexy86 - These are the three I actually follow... noticed it during the week with the new jeans blogger for sure!! Felt she was always fairly upfront as 'collaboration' or 'I've been working with or sent' was always mentioned.. I think I read somewhere (maybe here) that the ASAI had like contacted bloggers again in Nov so it'll be interesting to see how things go!!

I don't find New Jeans blogger to be upfront on Snapchat at all tbh, she's regularly plugging brands that she's being paid to endorse without adding the # e.g. Rimmel lipsticks and Boujois city radiance balm or cc cream thing. I find she does it in a sneaky oh-lets-have-an-impromptu-look-in-my-makeup-bag type of way, and sure as anything there'll be a few items in there that she is being paid to promote.

I rarely see the Makeup Artist Snapchatter #ad anything on Snapchat, she's regularly plugging Meaghers so it's unusual to see her hashtagging today.

The other blatant non-hashtagger is VHI CurrysTV mummy blogger. She is actually just ridiculous at this stage and is well overdue a letter from ASAI.

Agree the jeans blogger is very sneaky with it with the casual look through the make up bag, there's always a sponsored product in there lurking. And the brush cleaner thing yesterday was definetly a sponsored post but it didn't contain #ad.

I think I always had an idea that she must receive an awful lot and also wasn't fully aware of the ASAI guidelines myself so never paid a whole lot of attention either... Def caught off guard by the Rimmel post last week tho!! It's interesting that there seems to be an increase in #ad and also if it's only being used to get the attention of other businesses! It reflects badly when you see brands they previously promoted now with #ad

I just saw ydays snaps from makeup artist... don't understand how it's an ad with 'shop' but she is justgoing in to look around and not obligated to show anything. So they are just paying her to go in an have a look and leave again? Hmmmm. Like she has it #ad so I don't understand? But today in there she doesn't have the #ad! I'm #confused!!!!

I think the more things like this happen the less interest people will have in what some of these mainly snapchatters have to say about products!

• Advertisement

I just saw ydays snaps from makeup artist... don't understand how it's an ad with 'shop' but she is justgoing in to look around and not obligated to show anything. So they are just paying her to go in an have a look and leave again? Hmmmm. Like she has it #ad so I don't understand? But today in there she doesn't have the #ad! I'm #confused!!!!

I think the more things like this happen the less interest people will have in what some of these mainly snapchatters have to say about products!

She has #ad the Arnotts post on Instagram though so it is definitely a paid gig she seems to just have neglected to disclose it on Snapchat....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

<no names or links or identifiable information>

A lot of them seem to be plugging Kildare Village this week with no mention of #ad. I say this because I've seen a few of them use the #unwraphappy while showing off some of the jewellery etc there, you wouldn't do that unless told by the establishment.

A lot of them seem to be plugging Kildare Village this week with no mention of #ad. I say this because I've seen a few of them use the #unwraphappy while showing off some of the jewellery etc there, you wouldn't do that unless told by the establishment.

You see, often brands will send you a gift or a voucher and then ask that, if you post about your purchases, you use the hashtag. People (grateful people) usually oblige. I know I often do. But it's not an ad, as it's not a paid promotion.

You can argue that it's payment "in kind", but the ASAI hasn't been clear enough about that for a voucher to constitute an ad, so the hashtag isn't mandatory.

You see, often brands will send you a gift or a voucher and then ask that, if you post about your purchases, you use the hashtag. People (grateful people) usually oblige. I know I often do. But it's not an ad, as it's not a paid promotion.

You can argue that it's payment "in kind", but the ASAI hasn't been clear enough about that for a voucher to constitute an ad, so the hashtag isn't mandatory.

So Kildare Village will send a voucher and say come down and have a look around, spend the voucher and use your social media to promote some of our products... Hmmm sounds like an ad to me. The lines are so blurred and some bloggers are all too aware of that it seems. (Not yourself)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

For the last time; Under contract law there does not necessarily have to be 'payment' there merely has to be consideration

"Consideration has been defined as “some right, interest, profit or benefit accruing to the one party, or some forbearance, detriment, loss or responsibility given, suffered or undertaken by the other”. Under common law, any binding contract must have some consideration, no matter how small"

So, don't please try and escape under the Vail of 'its not commission" - its is consideration, a payment in kind - and should be declared.

And the fact that its only small and therefore should be ignored is rubbish. A small gift ever week adds up to a decent sum if you take the annual approach to it.

IRE60 wrote: »
    For the last time; Under contract law there does not necessarily have to be 'payment' there merely has to be consideration

"Consideration has been defined as “some right, interest, profit or benefit accruing to the one party, or some forbearance, detriment, loss or responsibility given, suffered or undertaken by the other”. Under common law, any binding contract must have some consideration, no matter how small"

So, don't please try and escape under the Vail of 'its not commission" - its is consideration, a payment in kind - and should be declared.

And the fact that its only small and therefore should be ignored is rubbish. A small gift ever week adds up to a decent sum if you take the annual approach to it.

I was referring specifically to the ASAI rules around hashtagging promoted posts as ad / spon etc.

But I'm not sure what you're saying: that any consideration equals a contract, therefore it's an ad / marketing communication? But if the ASAI says it's not, who's ever coming after anyone for not disclosing this?

Also, as an aside: A small gift every week will never add up to "a decent sum". It will add up to a pile of small gifts, none of which can be used to pay rent / bills or buy food.

I'm not saying getting free items and/or vouchers isn't lovely, but it's on no way the equivalent of a wage or payment, and doesn't help with everyday expenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

If you're not purchasing the product it's an ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

I was referring specifically to the ASAI rules around hashtagging promoted posts as ad / spon etc.

But I'm not sure what you're saying: that any consideration equals a contract, therefore it's an ad / marketing communication? But if the ASAI says it's not, who's ever coming after anyone for not disclosing this?

Also, as an aside: A small gift every week will never add up to "a decent sum". It will add up to a pile of small gifts, none of which can be used to pay rent / bills or buy food.

I'm not saying getting free items and/or vouchers isn't lovely, but it's on no way the equivalent of a wage or payment, and doesn't help with everyday expenses.

The ASAI define guidelines and have no power bar slapping people on the wrist. They don't define the legal aspect of the trist.
    There has to be a level field across the media - the spin doctors are getting free publicity by prostituting their goods across a variety of (self appointed) 'influencers'.
    They avoid any formal boundaries using this route. The vagueness that the ASAI have added to this only compounds the issue.
    Basically if you are promoting stuff, which you got for choice - with the expectation that some pond dwelling PR company gets its pound of flesh - then fess up.
    Don't hide behind, small, free, insignificant yada, yada, yada!
    You are doing someone elses bidding in terms of publicity in return for free goods and you think there is no contract?
    It's akin to Faust and Méphistophélès and, like in the opera - someone always 'pays'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

it's on no way the equivalent of a wage or payment, and doesn't help with everyday expenses.
    No but actually working a real job is great for paying rent and every day expenses. This isn't your followers fault. In fact, a lot of these "influencers" are able to give up their actual paid jobs to do this full time so there's obviously money in it, so I'm not quite sure where you're going with "oh but a voucher doesn't pay the bills". You still benefit from trying to flog their wares to everyone else

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement