Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Drives as P1

Options
  • 12-08-2016 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83,189 ✭✭✭✭

I have 2 Hard Drives in my dads machine listed as P1 in the boot order. The machine can't get to boot, it goes to the first HDD which doesn't have the OS and ****s the bed. You can force select the SSD in the UEFI BIOS, but this is a PITA, so much so that he's been using a laptop, and not this beast of a tower.

How do I fix this? Shouldn't the HDD be P2? (P0 is the DVD)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Are any usb drives or card readers connected? If so then remove and reboot to retry.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Overheal wrote: »
    I have 2 Hard Drives in my dads machine listed as P1 in the boot order. The machine can't get to boot, it goes to the first HDD which doesn't have the OS and ****s the bed. You can force select the SSD in the UEFI BIOS, but this is a PITA, so much so that he's been using a laptop, and not this beast of a tower.

How do I fix this? Shouldn't the HDD be P2? (P0 is the DVD)

I've seen some machines that have a separate menu for selecting the order in which drives are checked for booting, so it's worth checking that. The other thing worth doing is disconnect all other drives except the SSD and optical, boot from media and run startup repair. (I've seen systems where an OS install on one disk has been put on a second disk because the BIOS silently reordered the startup sequence and the OS media for some reason just assumed that it should be writing the boot sector to the first disk in the sequence, rather than the installation disk...)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,189 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I didn't want to go plug juggling. For now I've taken the HDD completely off the boot menu (disabled it) so it still acts as a drive in Windows but shouldn't interfere with boot or sleep mode hopefully. The other issue had been the computer would cut off unexpectedly after waking from sleep and now that I think about it, it could be related, given that the OS is still in memory it would crash the second it tried to go look for the boot drive.

Advertisement