Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic lights Tulsk/Roscommon road

• 13-08-2016 12:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

I've been along the road from Tulsk to Roscommon town a few times in the last few months and there is a set of traffic lights near Tulsk that appear to serve absolutely no purpose. There is no obstruction in the road, and no works being done. Does anybody know why the lights are there? Locals just seem to ignore them now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

muddypaws wrote: »
    I've been along the road from Tulsk to Roscommon town a few times in the last few months and there is a set of traffic lights near Tulsk that appear to serve absolutely no purpose. There is no obstruction in the road, and no works being done. Does anybody know why the lights are there? Locals just seem to ignore them now.

They've been there since the road flooded badly in that spot. I'm not sure why they were never removed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

They've been there almost a year at this stage. I must say it to a local TD. What I find humorous is the amount of cars that have stopped at them, even though nothing has been done in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    They've been there almost a year at this stage. I must say it to a local TD. What I find humorous is the amount of cars that have stopped at them, even though nothing has been done in the area.

Surely a matter for the local Council area office or area engineer.

Our national parliamentarians have more weighty matters on their minds like................................................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

I'm amazed that they seem to have been forgotten. Surely they need them somewhere else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

AFAIK Its to do with the risk of subsidance of the wall on the western side of the road. The flooding made it more likely to collapse so it would be a danger if large vehicles were passing too close to the wall and so lights will alleviate that.
    But it makes no sense that no cones were included to point this out. As it is laid out- no sense what so ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 roscommmon1980

Extra Extra read all about it......

Roscommon County Council is inefficient

Well they're finally working on that stretch now by the looks of it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I am hoping in the next round of road developments, they will straighten that stretch. Looking forward to Boyle/Tulsk reopening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    I am hoping in the next round of road developments, they will straighten that stretch. Looking forward to Boyle/Tulsk reopening.

When's that due to reopen?

It was supposed to open at the end of this month, but apparently it will be early next month.

• Advertisement

Looks like longer, according to aaroadwatch:

ROSCOMMON: The N61 Boyle/Roscommon Rd is closed in parts between Boyle and Tulsk until approx. Thurs 22nd Dec. Diversions via Frenchpark and local access will be maintained.

Anyone know what they're doing? Getting rid of the bad bends or resurfacing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

They're getting rid of the bad bends

Pique wrote: »
    Looks like longer, according to aaroadwatch:

ROSCOMMON: The N61 Boyle/Roscommon Rd is closed in parts between Boyle and Tulsk until approx. Thurs 22nd Dec. Diversions via Frenchpark and local access will be maintained.

Anyone know what they're doing? Getting rid of the bad bends or resurfacing?

Bit of both. I need to verify it, but unless it was resurfacing only, I think they plan on the same from Tulsk to Roscommon to an extent. The road from Tulsk to Roscommon is in need of it in parts, especially the first few miles from Tulsk.

On saying that, the road from Tulsk to Boyle was in desperate need of it. That road was fucking lethal in the winter time and I waited for the day where someone may have ended up in one of the houses on some of the particularly bad bends.

Good. Hope they do something about those stretches of sunken road where sump guards are tested too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭paulbok

On the original stretch of road with the lights between Tulsk & Fourmilehouse, be careful of breaking the red while they are still there, I know of one person done by the Gardai breaking the red and heard of a few others.

Will be heading that way this evening on my way to Sligo. Sadly Tulsk to Boyle won't reopen until the 22nd of December, apparently.

f17ff7c5ef2b35e22d4df1d255bdf97bacd5fce6feffa4a0aeafe1cff9e2e39f.jpg

The obligatory ribbon cutting.

N61-e1481633672483.jpg?fit=770%2C578

Advertisement